Toscana Ristorante - Downtown
301 E. Houston St.
San Antonio, TX 78205Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Toscana Ristorante - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.toscanaristorantes.com/
- Phone: 2102222865
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00 pm - 11:00 pm, Saturday: 4:00 pm - 12:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Rudy Sanchez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Call for details.
- Entertainment: Piano and live music on weekends.
A word from Toscana Ristorante - Downtown
Come and enjoy elegant and romantic ambiance, impeccable service and amazing flavors!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Toscana Ristorante - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
- Was ok but doubt we will goOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/13/2013Was ok but doubt we will go back. There are better Italian resturants.
- Ate there, still don't know what toEurekathecatDined on 1/12/2013Convenient to Majestic Theater, west windows show a parade of lighter tour carriages, south windows a garish view of Walgreens. Place was oddly empty for a Saturday night, which might be why service was a bit less than on-your-toes. Food ok, though we ordered light stuff that doesn't show the kitchen's capabilities one way or the other. Wish I could be more enthusiastic-we really need good theater dining options in a more reasonable price range than Bohanan's. will probably give them another chance.
- Went in for a business lunch.juandojuandoDined on 1/8/2013Went in for a business lunch. Place was empty but filled up quickly. Waiter was courteous but interrupted our conversation several times. My minestrone soup was very salty. Appetizers were okay and entree wasn't spectacular. Conveniently located downtown. Okay for a quick lunch.
- The staff accommodated ourOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2012The staff accommodated our dinner Party of 8 for an early New Years Eve dinner seamlessly. We were visiting for the holiday and they made the meal special by setting the table up in an alcove with a small decoration on the table. The woman who was our wait staff was friendly and just attentive enough. The food was excellent. We'd ho back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- It's okay if you're in the aanywayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/30/2012The food was good - the service was pitiful, we had to flag down a waiter to ask 'where's our dinner?'
- Lovely dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/22/2012We dined at 11:15a. Not really for the gluten-intolerant. Having said that, our server (Peter - very nice) brought my GF intolerant dining partner a salad since she could not eat the loaf of bread which arrived warm with a 2" cube of unsalted butter (along with my glass of wine). Once the entrees arrived, the remaining bread was replaced with a fresh warm loaf. I had the Parmesan crusted tilapia; my companion had the pan seared salmon. Both were excellent (we shared of course). She was very impressed with my roasted potatoes and I with her avocado risotto. This restaurant has lovely ambiance.Special Features:
- service and food were great.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/8/2012service and food were great. wine list was also good. we enjoyed all food and service!Special Features:
- Went before a show at theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012Went before a show at the majestic. It was great. The food was great and the ambiance was great. Had a window seat for two. There is a good children's menu and were several groups there. Overall a pretty good little spot. Defiantly would eat there again.Special Features:
- 2nd time eating here. FoodJomaxxVIPDined on 6/12/20122nd time eating here. Food was good but not exceptional. Bar service is slow. Waitstaff is polite, pleasant & attentive but unpolished ... clearly they are lacking in training.
- The food is outstanding; asOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2012The food is outstanding; as is the service. The menu is always changing; as much as we may miss some of our favorites, the new items always please. A great place for a fine meal before the symphony or other attraction at the Majestic.Special Features:
- DowntownTeadrinkerDined on 5/20/2012Delicious food, good service, pleasant ambiance. Rates repeat visits. Great downtown spot before theater dinners.Special Features:
- The food was good, but anMarkVIPDined on 5/18/2012The food was good, but an unexplained delay in the kitchen took 45 minutes to get our food to us.Special Features:
- I had been at this locationOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/5/2012I had been at this location a year ago when it was a french resturant and it was fabulous then. Menu looked good so we decided to try it. Big Mistake as there are many other resturants we have dinned at in San Antonio that we have been to that we enjoyed very much. This was a huge disapointment. The food was quite bland and not unique.However, the service was great and attentive. But we want good food. Will not go back there. would not recomend it.Special Features:
- Worth another chanceDrewsDined on 5/4/2012This was our second visit; the restaurant is one of the several situated near the Majestic Theater. After ordering a bottle of wine, two cheap cloudy glasses were deposited on the table. After I complained, the manager brought over 2 higher quality glasses and apologized for the error. Both my wife and I ordered salmon; my wife's was somewhat underdone, even for me. The freshness and flavor were good however. A complimentary Tiramisu appeared after our meal. Not as good an experience as our first, but we'll give it another chance in a few months when we're downtown again -- it's always fun to observe the tourist traffic walking by, or riding by in the horse-drawn carriages.
- Disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/2/2012Went for lunch, first time here and will not likely go back. Two different appetizers were unavailable, so we gave up on ordering an appetizer, then we had to wait almost 45 minutes for our main course. Food was okay but certainly not great but the staff was nice.
- Great visit but bar serviceJomaxxVIPDined on 4/1/2012Great visit but bar service was too slow, otherwise goodSpecial Features:
- food was very good. conversationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/31/2012food was very good. conversation from surrounding tables was very noisy. Couldn't even hear the piano player or hear my wife across the table from me.Special Features:
- Not very impressed.sjkramerDined on 3/30/2012Came in early on a Friday evening and the restaurant was not very crowded. The hostess was pleasant and initially wanted to seat us at a table in full afternoon sun but accommodated our request to move with no problem. We got water but it took a while for our waitress to greet us. We ordered a Caesar salad which looked wilted and tasted like it had been prepared and dressed ahead of time. Crab cake appetizer was good. My wife ordered Salmon which was tasty but the 'vegetable' was a small bed of sauteed spinach. My chicken picatta was just ok. The waitress checked back occasionally but did not seem interested in us. We only realized after seeing bread at other tables that none had been brought to us. Overall disappointing for $80.
- Good location, bad managementOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2012The only reason to go to this place is before a show at the Majestic. The entrees are reasonably priced; however, they have major kinks to work out in the kitchen. Both the waitress and the manager were blaming and apologizing for the kitchen, i.e. a Caesar salad with no parmesan cheese and no croutons, just romaine and a little dressing which lacked any anchovy or authentic taste...the response was "We have a new salad guy, and he's not working out." And Chicken Marsala with no Marsala sauce, brought back with something that looked more like brown gray, and "I told him it should not look like this," from the frustrated waitress (who it took us 15 minutes to flag down."
- Where is the meatEpicureanDined on 3/29/2012We had a pleasant experience however on the spinach salad forgot the pear slices, when reminded brought me the pear slices. Both of us had the Veal Piccata: a bit salty and the smallest piece of veal I have been served in a San Antonio restaurant.Special Features:
- We enjoyed the piano player,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2012We enjoyed the piano player, great choice of music. We had symphony tickets, service was very aware and attentive. The veal was exceptionally good. The pear salad with candied walnuts was excellent. Prices were very good. Portions were good size, not too much, we would rather have quality over quantity. We will definately return! Lovely atmosphere!
- We had a 5 pm reservation.EenieVIPDined on 3/10/2012We had a 5 pm reservation. We were seated in the corner table by both windows, which was a nice location to see everything. A sample of wine was immediately offered to us, which we tasted, but did not have a glass. The food tasted good, but there wasn't enough of it. Service was very quick, not having to wait more than 5-10 min between each course. Prices were reasonable, but not for the amount of food served. Didn't offer a plain, mixed green salad. Out of tiramisu, I ordered another dessert only to find out they don't carry that anymore, so I ordered a third option. The menu had not been updated. I found it somewhat noisy, but not excessive. We would return, but not in a hurry and not for dinner.Special Features:
- Food was not very good. AOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/3/2012Food was not very good. A piano player in the dining area was not a good idea, should have been in the bar area. The dining area was not very quiet or romantic, it was just a place that was all open, should have some dividers to cut noise and make it feel a bit more private. The server was nice but over loaded with tables so the service was slow. The food was not very good, we ordered the Antipasto which was OK. The muscles were not very good and very small. The flavors were very bland and the tomato sauce had a cream sauce in it which was not tasty at all.
- Menu not particularly exciting,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/3/2012Menu not particularly exciting, service person uneducated about the menu and wine list, food preparation below average. Do not plan to make a return visit.
- Went for a light meal beforeTexasSourdoughVIPDined on 3/3/2012Went for a light meal before the symphony. Had salads which are large and good quality though a bit sloppily made this time. Had vegetarian lasagne which was good but not as good as their meat version. Glass of wine finished the meal. Quick and reasonable. A friend arrived as we left and complained later about their waiter. Our service was reasonable - good to very good - but the wait staff does seem uneven and they are too aggressive in trying to remove unfinished plates.Special Features:
- DisappointingCarisaDined on 3/3/2012The food does not live up to the pleasant setting in this restaurant.My husband left most of his Caesar salad because it was drenched in dressing. My Mediterranean salad though was perfectly dressed, even if I thought the capers superfluous. We both ordered veal for our entrees.Ten minutes later the waitress came to tell us they were out of veal. At 6.15pm on a Saturday. We changed our order to chicken. My husband's chicken piccata was watery and had very little flavor. My chicken Marsala had no Marsala flavor whatsoever. The owner apologised and told us that he was still tinkering with the recipes. Dessert: the Zabaglione had little to do with the original dessert and was fairly flavorless. But the Tiramisu was very good. We won't be back.Special Features:
- Nice dinner, good bottle ofDrewsDined on 3/2/2012Nice dinner, good bottle of wine, not too noisy -- we'll be back!
- Very disappointing. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 3/2/2012Very disappointing. Food was without flavor, even vigorous salting did not improve the dish. Had high hopes for this location, but will not be back.
- Seriously attentive staffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/22/2012Seriously attentive staff seemed new at serving but did a fine job
- The food was very good andbubbadDined on 2/12/2012The food was very good and the portions were large enough to share. There was nothing truly outstanding, but we will go back. The location very near The Majestic Theatre makes this a desirable choice, especially in this price range.
- Two of four dishes at ourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/11/2012Two of four dishes at our table were burned; food took almost 45 minutes to arrive at the table; and portions were small
- Convenient for pre-MajesticllbreadyVIPDined on 2/11/2012Convenient for pre-Majestic dining. Valet parking in front of the Palm, just across the side street.Special Features:
- This was our first visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/10/2012This was our first visit to Toscana's but it won't be our last. A minor glitch was that they were out of linguini in clam sauce even though we got there at 6:00 on a Friday! Also the cantaloup in the appetizer was not ripe. However, the scampi in white sauce was excellent. My wife had the delicious chicken breast Toscana, which was cooked perfectly, it is also a good alternative for those who cannot tolerate gluten. There were some minor service glitches in that my bread dish was taken away but not replaced, a salad fork was placed incorrectly and water was not replenished quickly, but these were minor and were quickly corrected. For dessert we had the zabaglione with berries which was rich and truly outstanding. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Full house (good for them!),OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/10/2012Full house (good for them!), but very loud. Expen$ive. No special "Majestic event" dinner. Waiter's continuous address, "You guys," irritating.
- Traffic got us there lateTexasSourdoughVIPDined on 2/10/2012Traffic got us there late so had to rush before the symphony. I had ministrone which was simple and more authentic than most. Also melon and prosciutto. Only negative to whole meal was the cantalope was just short of ripe. The honeydew was perfect. The prosciutto was very good. My partner had the chicken piccata which was very good. Altogether a very nice meal and they managed to get us out in only a half hour.Special Features:
- Luckily we got the last tableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/31/2012Luckily we got the last table through Open Table that was availble at our time. The server was new i could tell, she didn't offer pepper for my salad and messed up splitting the cost between 2 credit cards. The decor is very nice, with the Tuscan flair.My veal dish and pasta was not the best i have had. There was no seasoning on the pasta and the veal could have been much softer.My wife loved her pear pasta in a purse. Her desert was so so.Special Features:
- Food was good but nothingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/21/2012Food was good but nothing special. Our big problem was the piano playing at full volume in a very small, sound-producing space. If that continues we won't be back.
- The food was good, but I makepallegaDined on 1/15/2012The food was good, but I make better Italian food at my own house. My dish said it came with capellini, but it was spaghettini. Most probably can't tell the difference, but I can. I complained, and nothing came of it. We had the picatta, both chicken and veal. If it wasn't for the act of writing this down, I'd probably forget this meal quickly. For groups of tourists looking for a quick approximation of Italian, and they had to be on Houston Street, I'd say go. If you're on the RiverWalk and want better Italian, try Bella. If you want something 1/3rd of the price and a bit better, try La Foccacia in Southtown or Sorranos in Alamo Heights. If you just want the best Italian in San Antonio, eat at Il Sogno in the Pearl Brewery.Special Features:
- We had Caesar salad, the spinachTexasSourdoughVIPDined on 1/13/2012We had Caesar salad, the spinach salad, lasagna, and linguine with clams before the Symphony Friday. The food was consistently very good to excellent. The only complaint might be the number of clams with the linguine. Flavors were very good. The ciabatta served as house bread was the weakest part of our meal. Wine prices are a tad high but not bad. Food prices are mostly reasonable though prices soar for some items. Overall, highly recommended. You can spend a lot, or a lot less, depending on your desires and that is somewhat unusual!Special Features:
- InconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/6/2012Dinner before the Majestic. Ambiance was inviting, wait staff friendly. Happy hour wine selections were few but reasonably priced. Food inconsistent and unappetizing. Calamari lightly fried and tasty, the marinara sauce that accompanied it was watery. Salads, unremarkable, as was the Capellini paasta. Three of us ordered Marsala dishes - one plate had twice the amount of fettuccine as others and was generously sauced while a plate of Veal Marsala didn’t have enough sauce to taste. Overall the Marsala sauce was extremely bland and disappointing. For dessert Tiramisu, which was tasty but had none of the usual rum and espresso flavors. The Panna Cotta had no distinguishing qualities and tasted like rubber. Coffees and cappuccino were cold.