Toscana Cafe and Wine Bar
238 5th Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Toscana Cafe and Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.toscanacafesd.com/
- Phone: 6192315788
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Toscana Cafe and Wine Bar
Toscana Café is warm, romantic, and cozy with dark wood accents and vibrant artwork, making it the perfect spot for a great night out. From breakfast to dinner, the offerings change with the light. Stop by for a delicious pastry, omelet, or muffin in the morning. For lunch, enjoy an exquisite panini or beautiful salad. Mid-afternoon is the perfect time to relax with an espresso or glass of wine on the patio and watch passersby on their way to a convention or the ballgame. The wine cellar houses over one hundred selections from California and Italy; with almost fifty options by the glass this is the largest selection by the glass in the Gaslamp. In the evening, this tranquil bistro turns into a chic wine bar, complete with tempting Seafood Blush, Choice Angus Filet Mignon, Lasagna or Veal Scallopini. Quality can be seen in each facet of Toscana, from the organic coffee and locally sourced ingredients to the rich, warm furnishings. This unique café is truly a gem in the Gaslamp.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Toscana Cafe and Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- Tuscany in the Gas Lampjlc58Dined on 5/11/2013We had a very nice meal with excellent service. Our server helped us with a wine selection that was similar to one that had just dropped off their list and provided great service getting our meal to us. We sat outside and enjoyed a warm evening and light traffic on fifth street. It might be a bit hectic out there if the street was crowded. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just for two!DisappointedDined on 5/11/2013With a five PM reservation on a Satuday night I expected to wait however we were immediately greated, seated. The only sour note for the evening was waiting for our server to finally get to our table. It was not busy but the staff seemed a bit limited and perhaps too busy. Regardless, our waiter 'Reggie' was fantastic! He was friendly, informative, funny and highly professional. He made excellent recommendations and made us feel very welcome, appreciated and comfortable. My wife had the spaghetti pomadora while I had the giant sea scallops. The bruschetta was fresh and tasty as was the tiramisu we had for desert. We will be back!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a favorite !!!JoanVIPDined on 5/2/2013We live close to Toscana Cafe and enjoy dinner with friends there. All the servers are terrific. The food is varied and delicious from the shrimp appetizer to scallops with rissotto and the lasagna - wow ! Deserts are fanttastic too. I tried a new dish this time - chicken marsala - wonderful flavor and cooked just right. Some nights are so crowded it becomes a bit noisy for conversation, but on a Wed or Thursday it is quiet and a nice place to hang out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Italian Rest. in GaslampOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/28/2013This charming restaurant is wonderful! My "star" ratings are well deserved. It is a great place to people watch, especially Sunday afternoon and evening as the Hard Rock Hotel (right across the street) has a weekly event that ends at 7 PM PT. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Big groupRuthSDined on 3/7/2013Our waiter was outstanding. We had a party of twelve and he handled everything great even gave us separate checks.Special Features:
- Slow service for our groupOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/28/2013Slow service for our group business lunch even when there were few other parties there. Food was unremarkable. More of a pretty outdoor wine bar than a restaurant.Special Features:
- Maybe it was a fluke, butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2013Maybe it was a fluke, but the food was nothing to write home about. Pretty mediocre.Special Features:
- I took six of my top salesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2013I took six of my top sales managers for dinner during a conference. Even though we were late they graciously held our table for us. The servers were knowledgable and humorous. The food was was tasty and just enough.
- Our second time there. NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013Our second time there. Nice ambience. Great service. Wonderful food - my filet mignon was overcooked but they fixed the problem right away and it was awesome! We went on Valentine's Day and ordered from their pre fixe menu - loved the price and the food. I normally would not go to a restaurant on Valentine's Day but I had a feeling it would be fine there.Special Features:
- Delicious SeafoodSDFoodieVIPDined on 2/9/2013We had a wonderful meal at Toscana, the appetizers and dinner was delicious! Seafood was perfectly cooked and elegantly presented. We'll definitely be going backSpecial Features:
- Always meets expectations!livbigVIPDined on 1/30/2013One of my favorite places when I come to San Diego - all the food is good and the services is always top notch!Special Features:
- Great find in the Gaslamp DistrictOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/26/2013Excellent food and great service! We would definitely go back again and again.Special Features:
- table we were given felt veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/23/2013table we were given felt very cramped for a party of 6. was very noisy, could only hear the people right next to me. food was good, but nothing overly remarkable. menu seemed somewhat limited. wine list was great. server was excellentSpecial Features:
- We dined on the street inahdiiiVIPDined on 1/13/2013We dined on the street in the Gaslamp District of San Diego on their terrace sidewalk area. Food was slow coming but worth the wait. All was fresh and hot and the omelets were fresh & fluffy ! Good Bloody Marys !Special Features:
- Wine selection seemed expensive.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/3/2013Wine selection seemed expensive. $14 for a glass of Classico is about $2 above average. We plan to return, service was very friendlySpecial Features:
- Not worth $ even with TrZoo voucherOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/3/2013The good: our wine ($40 special left over from NYE) and side rices. Appetizer too small to share. After checking with server for a non-dairy rice option which kitchen said they could do (boyfriend is lactose intolerant), they brought out risotto. Manager apologized for the misunderstanding and that they could not do request and offered pasta. Asked for veggies (which were fine). Never removed plate which contained the dairy so he had to scrape the meat and veggies off risotto. Entrees were very mediocre. Dessert list only had 4 options and 1 was out. Among the other 3 we chose the Opera Cake but asked for server opinion who did not recommend it. Ordered the Tirimisu which came out still on a cardboard packing (obviously was bought outside.
- Used a Travelzoo voucher for1234VIPDined on 12/30/2012Used a Travelzoo voucher for meal for two. Food was great, service was awesome.Special Features:
- 2nd time at this restaurant.MickeygVIPDined on 12/27/20122nd time at this restaurant. The food both times was great. It took 20 min before anyone came to our table. 30 min for water and bread and it was not very busy.Special Features:
- Christmas EveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2012I made a reservation for Christmas Eve based on the yelp reviews and looking at their web site. When we arrived nicely dressed for a Christmas Eve dinner, we felt very out of place. We ordered wine and cocktails and it took 15 minutes to get there. There were Maybe 10 other people in the restaurant. We ordered appetizers and my family was not impressed at all. We got up and walked down the street to El Aqua 2 ( I'm sure I spelled that wrong) and they welcomed us with open arms, fresh bread and a great Italian wine. It was a great Christmas Eve dinner. Maybe my expectations for Toscana were too high. It might just be a place to go on the way to the ball game and not for a special dinner. Maybe your experience will be different.
- neighborhood "go to" spotGwlafDined on 12/22/2012Our neighborhood "go to" spot. Always good food and service and a good spot to people watch.Special Features:
- perfect for lunch !JoanVIPDined on 12/14/2012this is one of our most favorite neighborhood hangouts for dinner and capuchino at the bar. But we had not gone to Toscana for lunch until this week. WOW - it could not have been better. Two of us had the Tuscany salad adding shrimp - what marvellous flavor in the croutons, mozzarella cheese balls, peppers, etc. With a nice Sauvignon Blanc it was perfect Our server, Karen, was outstanding, professional and pleasant. Joan and PeterSpecial Features:
- At the restaurant, waiterlclee70Dined on 12/9/2012At the restaurant, waiter was very friendly and competent. Charcuterie/cheese plate and olive tapenade appetizers were tasty. I ordered the sea bass/fettucine special. My husband thought the sea bass was dry and overcooked. The white wine sauce was watery and not very flavorful except for the capers. My husband got the filet mignon, which he didn't care for but I thought was good. It came with a vegetable risotto which was well-cooked. Sauteed veggies were a little underdone esp the brussel sprouts. The wines offered by the glass were all good. For dessert, got the tiramisu and chocolate layer lake, both excellent.Special Features:
- The food had very good flavor.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012The food had very good flavor. I would recommend this place to others. The wines were reasonably priced. And the ambience was fine. I do like the corner location.Special Features:
- Favorite neighborhood restaurantJoanVIPDined on 11/27/2012This is one of our favorite neighborhood restaurants. We come with friends and like the back garden. Sidewalk sitting is fun too. We also wander in for a wonderful capucino at the bar in the late evening as part of our Gaslamp walk. Everyone is friendly, service is professional. And the food is absolutely delicious !! I especially like the scallops with mushroom risotto. Salads are fresh and creative. Deserts are devine. The wine list is good and affordable. We always feel as if the food and wine prices are low compared to the quality.Special Features:
- Very nice restaurant, foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/24/2012Very nice restaurant, food was very good but nothing spectacular. An upscale, average restaurant.Special Features:
- Reggie was a great serverYvetteSVIPDined on 10/13/2012Reggie was a great server & made our 23rd anniversary a special night!Special Features:
- Right in the Gaslamp. TheMickeygVIPDined on 10/12/2012Right in the Gaslamp. The food was excellent. Much better than expected.Special Features:
- The shrimp was passable, butOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2011The shrimp was passable, but the halibut was spectacular. We were seated right away, but the server was MIA. When he fox arrive, he was very attentive. The price was typical for San Diego, but good for Gaslamp. Definitely going back for the Halibut!Special Features: