Tosca Rustic Italian Cafe
3333 Rt 9 North
Freehold, NJ 07728Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Tosca Rustic Italian Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.toscafreehold.com/
- Phone: 7324622233x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 12.00am - 3:00pm
Tuesday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 1:00pm - 9.00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Tosca Rustic Italian Cafe
Tosca Rustic Italian Café is an Italian café in Freehold, NJ.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tosca Rustic Italian Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (3)great for lunch (2)fit for foodies (2)great for brunch (1)good for groups (1)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Food great but won't go back.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/10/2014We went here Saturday night with friends. Food is fabulous, BYOB. The waiter Mike) was funny and informative, other diners were helpful in giving their thumbs up to certain dishes... all and all A nice night.albeit a bit noisy with the acoustics. HOWEVER, we were asked to hurry up ( we had not even been there 2 hours) because they wanted the table for the next seating... there were empty tables and only 3-4 people waiting in the foyer. NOT PROFESSIONAL! left a sour taste in our mouth on an otherwise pleasant evening. we will NOT be back. Bad way to make a first impression. FAIL!!Special Features:
- The following 67 reviews are from the Tosca Rustic Italian Cafe reviews archive.
- grandmaDined on 5/4/2014Our reservation was honored in a timely fashion, which is always a god start to the evening. The portions were generous and the food was well prepared. Adding to the experience was a delightful young waitress. We will definitely return for another evening with friendsSpecial Features:
- Pleasantly surprised!JerseyGirlDined on 5/2/2014Restaurant is in a strip mall, but don't let that dissuade you. The food was FABULOUS! Salmon was cooked perfectly. Risotto was amazing. All meals are cooked to order, so we were able to request substitutions and there were a good number of specials from which to choose. Love that it's a BYOB. Our waiter, Michael, was personable, friendly and able to make recommendations. He suggested the cheesecake for dessert. It has a layer of caramel on top that is sprinkled with sea salt. To absolutely die for. I look forward to returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMamawantsaniteoutDined on 4/26/2014The food was delicious! Would definitely get one of the specials. Our waiter was knowledgeable and enthusiastic. I have heard from others that it's loud but what restaurant on a Saturday night that's busy, isn't loud? My only complaint is that the supporting staff was a little unfriendly and our waters were never refilled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try Tosca, you will like it.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/15/2014Our third time in six months trying Tosca and it is still consistent. Week night , rainy and not as busy as the weekends, but the good was still fresh. Waiter was warm and friendly, checking in just enough and delivering on every request. Had the calamari special along with lasagna and Shrimp Francese. Both dishes were fish and well prepared. Desert of tartufo was just enough to finish a very good meal. We will continue to visit Tosca in a Freehold Township in the Chadwick Square shopping Center on Route 9 North. It may be in a local strip mall but the service and food is quality and fairly priced. Total gorgeous two was about 62 bucks plus tip. Try it on a week night and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent some ofJamesDined on 4/5/2014Food was excellent some of the best Italian food I've had in the county. Waitress was a little slow but I saw other waiters/waitresses moving around very fast so must of just been my luck. I am definetly going back to try other items on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodFishheadDined on 3/29/2014Very good food and presentation, friendly staff but very noisy on a crowded nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local Favorite!!!afe715Dined on 3/29/2014We visited Tosca at the end of March for the very first time. I must say that we were more than impressed by the outstanding food that was presented! As real deal, "off the boat" Italians we always have a hard time finding a place the lives up to our standards. Tosca's approach to Italian food is simple, flavorful, authentic and absolutely delicious! Even the espresso - the deal breaker for all of our family dinners - was a winner! We will definitely be back!!!Special Features:
- Saturday night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014I was very pleased that our 8:30PM reservation was on time. Our waitress was very attentive and knowledgeable regarding the menu and specials. The food was good. Only disappointment was that it was very noisy. There was also a large party set up in the middle of the restaurant that made it hard for patrons and waiters to get around the tables behind it.Special Features:
- fooddinneroutDined on 3/15/2014The food was very good, fresh and portions were generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs a Little PolishJerseygirlDined on 3/12/2014Let me start by saying that the service was good but needs a little polishing. Although our waiter was very enthusiastic and conscientious, he did point out the flaws in the restaurant. Such as, tables are too small and they need wine bucket stands. Wouldn't really have noticed that if he hadn't pointed it out. The food was good. I ordered the pesto with a homemade pasta which was delicious. They do offer a side salad for $2 which is great but it is written all over the menu which seems to cheapen the restaurant. Overall, good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014The presentation and the quality of the food is outstanding!Special Features:
- Pleasant surprise...DMartinDined on 3/8/2014The wife and I dined at Tosca for the first time this past weekend and were pleasantly surprised in all aspects. Our server was friendly and professional and the food was delicious. I've come to not expect much from strip mall restaurants in Central NJ, but Tosca definitely impressed me. We'll be going back, without a doubt! Highlights: Ginger Soy Calamari Special, Buffala Mozzarella Special, White Chocolate Cheesecake with caramel & sea saltSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back for sureScottyVIPDined on 3/8/2014Great service! Mike was attentive and courteous. Goat cheese salad was fresh and good portion to share. Bronzino was best I've had in years. Best restaurant in Monmouth County.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinnerScottyVIPDined on 3/1/2014Seafood Paella was amazing. The risotto had such great flavor and seafood was fresh. Can't wait to return with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodLoisDined on 2/27/2014We have been there 4 times within the past month, The food is very good and prices are reasonable. There salads are great and some of their veal and chicken dishes are wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ACES!ScottyVIPDined on 2/22/2014Another great experience at TOSCA! Clams Casino was best I've tasted! Crab Cakes are still spot on. Bronzino was delicate, light and tasty. Caramel Cheesecake drizzled with homemade caramel sauce and sea salt is amazing!Special Features:
- Finally a great place in Freehold!RTDragonflyDined on 2/21/2014I‘d given up on restaurants in Freehold, good ones anyway. Tosca revived my faith – people who take pride in what they serve & how they serve it! I had a special, rack of veal w/garlic mashed potatoes & broccoli rabe. Perfection! The veal, cooked exactly how I asked for it; potatoes, luscious; broccoli rabe had a bite, as it should, but not bitter. Everything fresh and presentation was great. Hubby got Chicken Scarpariello and had the same to say. Cheesecake is creamy; the caramel & salt combo is a perfect topping. The best I’ve had. Our waiter, Mikey, was professional & well informed. He made sure we were ok w/o hovering. All in all, the best food & dining experience I’ve had in Freehold, well, ever! We will surely become regulars :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine dinnervette93Dined on 2/14/2014Price fix menu for the evening. Mussels were tasty as an appetizer. Ceasar salads were dry. The mixed seafood over pasta was chewy.. The paella was well seasoned. Service was awful. We sat down at 8:10 PM and didn't finish our meal until almost 11 PM. The bus person couldn't keep up with cleaning the tables. The salads and entrees were served with the dirty dishes still on the table from the prior course.
- Pleasantly SurprisedfoodloverDined on 2/11/2014My husband and I went to Tosca for the first time. We went for dinner and loved everything! We had the stuffed shrimp and the Norcia (homemade fettuccine) and clams casino. We weren't sure what to expect since the restaurant was slow (Cold Tuesday night), but we loved everything and were pleasantly surprised! The attention to detail and the quality of the food- was excellent! Not to mention the reasonable prices! We will be back- this is our new favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great food, reliable.DrnplDined on 2/7/2014Consistently great food, reliable. You can count on a great dinner. Love the homemade pasta specials. We have been to ths restaurant about half a dozen times now and never had a bad meal, never disappointed. And BYOB makes this gem affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceGeomanVIPDined on 2/5/2014We visited the night of an ice storm so the restaurant was basically empty and quiet , but the owner/chef and our server Mike could not have been more hospitable and welcoming . Have visited the restaurant for over 20 years in its prior life, but the new owner/chef has created some amazing dishes . Both of our meals were excellent , great preparation and attention to detail , fresh ingredients and great flavors , perfectly executed . Probably the best BYOB in the area , as well as the best Italian restaurant too. Try it , you absolutely will like it !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been to Tosca manyrrl2Dined on 2/1/2014We have been to Tosca many times. This time I had the Eggplant Parm, it was disappointing - just nothing special. No other dish on the menu has disappointed till this dish. I rated the the ambience as fair due to te noise level. This is a small restaurant with tables close together and a very high noise level. I generaly do not go to Tosca on a Saturday due to the noise. They need to install some sound proofing. Generally the food is very good, it is a great local restaurant to have dinner at.Special Features:
- Nice Surpriseken29VIPDined on 1/31/2014Found this place on open table. Did not know about it and lived in Freehold for seven years. The food was great. We had the special it was a seafood combo, and stuff shrimp. I can not have gluten and they did not have a menu or any pasta to make a gluten free dish. However they did prepare my dish gluten free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/25/2014We were looking forward to a good Italian meal. The menu contained a variety of pastas that looked interesting. We were very disappointed with the food, though. My risotto was swimming in a bland red sauce that tasted like Campbell's tomato soup made with milk. My wife's Parma, which we expected to be in a cream sauce based on experience in other restaurants, had the same bland tomato sauce. Our guest's Carbonara sauce had an unpleasant yellowish cast and tasted stale. All of us ate only half of our meals. Based on our experience, I would not expect this restaurant to last. But, it was full and we had to wait a half-hour to be seated. Tables are close together and it was noisy. It was not rustic. BYOB! At least the staff was friendly.
- Tosca Jan 18JHJHDined on 1/18/2014Second time here. Loved it as much this time as last. Seafood is fantastic. Still a bit loud but that is what happens with good food. Everyone knows about it. The word has spread. See you again soon.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/11/2014My husband and I dined at Tosca last Saturday nigh for a birthday dinner. The food and service were wonderful. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodLoveItalianFoodDined on 1/11/2014I am new to the area and wanted to try out a BYO. I drive past Tosca everyday and it has been tempting me. I am glad I went it! The service was great and food came out of the kitchen quickly. My favorites were the vegetables and Goat Cheese Salad! I cant wait to go back and try something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food but loudFeliceDined on 1/11/2014I had the filet mignon and it was perfectly cooked as was my husband's rack of lamb. We ordered the shrimp appetizer and it was delicious, however the antipasti we also ordered contained an overwhelming amount of prosciutto, no salami and a scan amount of fresh mozzarella. It was odd. Our friends ordered the swordfish and they enjoyed it immensely. The side salad was a nice portion; not too small and not too large. This was our first time there and we will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulToscaDined on 1/11/2014We had a 6:15 Saturday night reservation and our table awaited us in the crowded restaurant. Water, bread menus all arrived in a timely fashion. Our waitress came over to open our wine and tell us the specials. She told us to take our time order so we could enjoy the dining experience. We order a pasta dish and a chicken dish. Both were perfect. No desert tonight as we took doggie bags home. Great stop. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favoriteHakrbillDined on 12/21/2013Fast, friendly, professional waiter. Michael. Wonderful food!!! Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Too noisy!ToniDined on 12/21/2013Definitely a problem with acoustics....could not wait to leave..:noise level was out of control
- SadFuntimesVIPDined on 12/4/2013Initially was excited to have an excellent Italian Restaurant in Freehold. The owner/chef is a very talented person who knows what he is doing. We have gone there many times. However, the last 2 or 3 times we have noticed things have changed. We can only attribute this to other people are now cooking. When once mentioned to the owner/chef the response was its all in the recipes….which is not entirely true. Its also knowledge and consistency & talent, all of which the owner/chef has. Last time out, ordered Pasta Primavera. Sauce was weak tomato based, while the menu said white wine, garlic etc. I do not prefer vegetables in red. Clearly, whoever was cooking didn't read the "recipe". Wont go back till things are restored to what it was.
- Great food, wonderful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2013Great food, wonderful service but the noise level is high.Special Features:
- May be the best Italian RestaurantHowardC0716Dined on 11/15/2013May be the best Italian Restaurant in the Freehold vicinity and certainly one of the top restaurants in Town. Best dishes include the Stuffed Shrimp, Rack of Lamb and Tilapia. Mussels in white wine sauce appetizer was excellent, as were the desserts. Only drawback to this restaurant is the high noise level when the restaurant is crowded, which is most of the time on weekends. You can sit up front, more quiet, but a bit less ambiance. Love this place and kudos to the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local findOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/7/2013Have been to Tosca quite a few times and have never been disappointed. The food preparation is excellent, menu choices numerous, but not overwhelming and the service has been attentive and professional. The seafood and pasta are great as is the Chicken Scarpariello and everything else we've tried. Don't miss this great BYOB local find. The prices are also very fair for all regular menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great service AllOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2013Great food great service All plates were made to orderSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Sunday DinnerwineanddineVIPDined on 10/20/2013I enjoyed my chicken scarpariello, and the side salad (for the extra $2). The quality of the free-range chicken tells, and the accompanying veggies and potatoes were fresh and tasty. I have certainly eaten at 15 different Italian restaurants in the past year (including a couple of 5 star ones), and can say they are quite good: 3 1/2 to 4 stars. The service was also good. The ambience of this restaurant (located in a strip mall ) was fairly plain. I was a lttle misapprehensive at first as all of the tables had a kind of wrapping paper on top of the linen, and I would have preferred dining on linen (or a palin wooden table).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new place right next door!!!foodie4lifeDined on 10/19/2013Tosca (the old location of Cafe Colore on Route 9 North in Freehold). This was our first time here. It was a great find. Very nice atmosphere. Attentive service. Food was really good. A BYOB. Very reasonably priced. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service too slow, kind ofanotheritalianrestVIPDined on 10/19/2013service too slow, kind of loud, however food was good and worth another shotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.