242 Columbus Ave
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://toscacafesf.com/
- Phone: (415) 986-9651
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Josh Even
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Tosca Cafe
Innovative and fresh Italian cuisine from chef April Bloomfield accompanied by an extraordinary italian wine program and incredible craft cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Tosca Cafe - Best Restaurants in North Beach ›
Tosca Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
185 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (118)vibrant bar scene (93)hot spot (92)neighborhood gem (80)notable wine list (48)special occasion (44)late-night find (42)romantic (37)good for groups (13)scenic view (1)Show More
- Food has caught up with historygourmetgalVIPDined on 11/18/2014Every time I asked anyone about this famous spot, I heard about the drinks. Granted, they were top flight, including the best Negroni I've ever had. But I was frankly surprised by how tasty and varied the food was. We tried ten dishes and they were all delicious. The chicken is well worth the one hour wait and the pasta with chicken liver and balsamic was outstanding. Special thanks to our waitress, Jordan, for putting everything together in perfect courses and ensuring we paced ourselves so we could enjoy our "cappuccino"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near perfect...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2014Hip, cool, fun... great service, fantastic and innovative food, incredible staff. The cocktails rock.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slam dunkAjwillDined on 11/12/2014Tosca was hard to get a reservation in advance, but Theodore was worth the wait. We LOVED this place--excellent dishes and perfect atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!scarpinitoDined on 11/12/2014So enjoyed my solo dinner at Tosca Cafe. The service was warm, welcoming and attentive. The food so delicious and expertly prepared. This restaurant has heart and soul.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tosca cafeEatupDined on 11/9/2014This is not your ordinary spaghetti and meatball Italian! Take up 10 notches and you are dining at Tosca Cafe. Be hungry and open to try new foods. The meatballs with focaccia delicious and do try the Fritos misto with padron peppers. Oxtail terrine was interesting needed a little more flavor in the meat but still worthy. The pastas are amazing. Best way to enjoy tosca is to order lots of dishes and share.Special Features:
- ToscaTexanDined on 11/8/2014I was excited to go to Tosca based upon the Bon App review. The food was very good.Special Features:
- Felt Like Manhattenhumbleopinion1Dined on 11/7/2014Very trendy but fun. Ice bar scene but couldn't hear music from eclectic juke box. Interesting cocktails. Food was very good especially hangar steak and pasta. Small dessert selection but darl chocolate was very tasty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why the bad reviews?CheechlorraineDined on 11/5/2014This place has a wonderful ambiance. It's upscale but still feels comfortable. I know it's been hyped up in the press a lot but I'm not sure what people are expecting when they come here. Our food was amazing. The service was top notch (thats where I get the upscale) and incredibly friendly. I can't wait to revisit.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/5/2014We had expected a really great dining experience given all the hype for this restaurant. Unfortunately this was not to be. We found the service sub- par for a restaurant of this stature. It definitely had an effect on our enjoyment of the dining experience. The food was good although prices seemed high for what it was. I'd have trouble recommending this place.Special Features:
- Amazingly simple foodfoodblissDined on 11/1/2014The food at Tosca was absolutely incredible. Every dish had simpleness to it, but it was so flavorful. My favorite was one of the daily specials, sardine "soldiers" - which had sashimi style sardines with a lemon garlic ceasar dressing type sauce on toast soldiers. Best thing I've eaten in years! Everythin else was very good too. I think the secret to their menu is umami - garlic, salt, anchovies were prominent in most dishes, but it works! Makes everything pop off the plate. Great atmosphere, we got to sit near the kitchen and watch them perfect (~$60 a person with one drink). Will come back!Special Features:
- P1234Dined on 11/1/2014Best food! Crispy pig tails, sardine soldiers, and hanger steak. Phenomenal food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tosca-great!!HulaHoopDined on 10/31/2014Despite the strange "off" reviews, we had a spectacular dinner here last night. Halloween in SF! The cooking at Tosca is quite refined. Not huge portions and a simple menu but the quality of the craft was wonderful. The mood of Tosca is North Beach classic saloon and there's an active bar at the entrance. The dining area has ample space between tables. It's still active; not super loud but NOT La Folie! The pastas are really good. My rigatoni was especially tasty. Our server was wonderful. Always there when wanted but a relaxed feel. The wines are pricy but well chosen. Very highly recommended for a totally fun, relaxed yet special dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Very disappointing. I went online a few weeks in advance and even called to find out the only available time slots were either 5:15 or 11:00. I chose the 5:15 and we arrived on time, but were allowed to sit at the bar for a drink. We were seated around 5:45 and there were still many tables unoccupied, so I don't understand why the 6:00 to 7:00 time slots were not available. The food was unedible. We shared a pasta dish which was recommended by the wait staff along with two sides and all were extremely salty. This place seems to receive a lot of hype, but for what reason, I don't know. There are many more restaurants in the North Beach area that are better. Don't bother with this place.
- A Bit DisappointedeatnwriteDined on 10/29/2014As a senior who experienced many late night coffees at the former Tosca I was bound to be disappointed. The ambience or feel is very different. The food was good. The service was good. The chairs and booths were uncomfortable. The music - the wrong type and too loud. Some opera would have been nice and fitting. The bar scene was vibrant and eating at the bar - if that is allowed - would have been fun. I was happy about the preservation and restoration that has gone on - good job there. I think a lot of people who were not part of the old scene there would be very happy with Tosca.Special Features:
- Total disappointmentSuzanneDined on 10/21/20145:15 res. only, why? All hype by foodies! Limited menu&atmosphere Walked out, can't rate food.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014Loved the food and thought the service was great. Our server was attentive and left us to decide on everything. We loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/17/2014Food was disappointing and the wine list was way too expensive. My pasta dish (Gemelli with cheese) was almost in a cheese fondue sauce. Wine list has a couple of bottles of Italian wine around $60 but everything else between $100-210.
- Extremely DisappointingnapaloverDined on 10/17/2014There were 4 of us dining. Our waiter was rude and acted like we were annoying him by dining there, no offer of explanation of menu items at all, he just came over and said "what do you want". There were few entrees offered, one was a tough skirt steak, another was rigatoni (which was delicious) and another was a chicken which took one hour to prepare. I would have probably have ordered the chicken but I didn't want the rest of my party to have to wait an hour to eat. The wine list was also extremely limited, the appetizers we ordered were delicious though.Special Features:
- No Friils Fantastic FoodArtCDined on 10/15/2014A no-nonsense fine food experience. Go for the food, service and comfort, not a FooFoo ambiance. That said, I prefer a down home, locals bar ambiance with a super selection from Opera to Oldies on the jukebox. The Crispy Potato side is worth every penny of the nine bucks price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty Salty SaltyHighstandardsforfoodVIPDined on 10/14/2014We started with the meatballs and focaccia (which they don't tell you, but a piece of bread costs like $6) it's good and the meatballs are amazing. Next I had the linguine and clams and it was SUPER salty. The server never came back to check how the food was once it was served so I ate most of it but I also drank about 8 glasses of water. When she finally came back to see if we wanted dessert I told her that the linguine was ridiculously salty and she smiled and said she'd "let the chef know". I told her if she had been anywhere in sight I would have sent it back and she smiled and said she'd "let the chef know". This was my third and last meal at Tosca. It's pricey and there are a million other places in SF to dine.Special Features:
- rustic ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Excellent dinner with several specials, excellent service and knowledgeable wAIT STAFF. I'd recommentd reservations. The bar was very livelySpecial Features:
- Best chicken I've ever hadRinaVIPDined on 10/11/2014I read about this restaurant and was very intrigued. New menu. New management but I had no expectation of having such wonderful original unique menu and bar items. The chicken is worth the one hour wait. Portions are not too large and the service friendly and helpful. I will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealjcook793Dined on 10/8/2014The staff were delightful and everything we ate was wonderful. Great night out!Special Features:
- Great food, but meal rushed.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/8/2014Excellent food; first table of the evening and we were rushed; water poured too frequently (arms stretched over our plates to pour while we were eating); side vegetables never came and were offered to us to go after we finished our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- late nite diningnomnomDined on 10/3/2014we stopped here for a late night bite as it came highly recommended. sketchy neighborhood and little stuffy inside. otherwise, the food was fabulous. the chicken was to die for oh and the roasted carrots. we tried a little of everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY AVERAGEDebbieDined on 10/2/2014Very average - not sure how this restaurant was voted one of the top 4 in the U.S.
- chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/30/2014Remember it when.....smokey, walls vibrating from the disco below and fabulous opera flowing from the speakers. Now it is a swank diner. Limited menu. My hanger steak was chunky and tough and my husband's 'hour wait' chicken had its leg and foot intact. Are you kidding?Special Features:
- Underwhelming Food, Glacial ServicethemuzakDined on 9/28/2014With another couple, my wife and I had a mediocre meal at the Tosca Cafe on Sunday night. My salmon with peppers main was fine, if over-salted on the fish and uninspired overall. The peppers were nice. Basil and tomato sauce rigatoni was the best dish overall and one I would recommend. The clam linguini was poorly received and chicken livers were just okay. We enjoyed a Chianti Classico, not from a recommendation of the server. Our server was pleasant and knowledgable but slow with big gaps between drinks order, food order and delivery in a restaurant that was half-full. We felt like the server was avoiding us a couple of times, which is never pleasant. Restaurant is quite noisy and tough for our older couple to converse.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/28/2014Food was wonderfully prepared with sauces that showed off the food within. Superb! Best Hanger Steak ever! and the Polenta, I am gushing but that is what this food did to me. Would definitely go back next time I am in San Francisco.Special Features:
- ExcellentMattODined on 9/27/2014Delicious food and craft cocktails fit for foodiesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningBILLRDined on 9/27/2014We could only obtain a 5 PM reservation which was great because we had a plenty of time to enjoy a drink with friends and left around 8:30pm. At no time were we rushed or felt forgotten by the servers. You needs to be patient and don't try to rush the system -- if you are in a hurray then you should go some place else. All of us felt the food was prepared perfectly and one of the finest meals we have experienced. We started with, of course, the meatballs, followed by Bucatini (WOW) and everyone ordered the chicken for two plus several sides. Tosca is obviously popular so go with a positive attitude, relax and enjoy a GREAT evening. Special thanks to server Daniella and the Bar Manager for their recommendations for sides.Special Features:
- jonathanDined on 9/26/2014all very positive with 1 exception . waiter did not offer specials not on menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalSusieQuezeeDined on 9/21/2014When I read that one of the top 10 best new restaurants was in San Fran, I immediately booked a table for our anniversary dinner. What an incredible spot! The food was creative and surprising, the service impeccable and the ambiance was playful, yet romantic. This is a "must" for every foodie in the area.Special Features:
- Great spot, poor foodphilipglDined on 9/18/2014The tuna starter was from a tin - awful. The steak while well cooked came with a weird lemon sauce and totally clashed with the expensive red wine and flavor. The food is too pricey and just not good enough for all the options available nearby. Would recommend it for a bar drink but stay away for dinner.Special Features:
- DisappointedFormerBAbelieverDined on 9/18/2014I took my new boss to this spot during a business trip to SF. His English is limited and the noise level of this place was so high that it was very difficult to have a conversation. Not a good spot for getting to know someone. However, my main disappointment was that the one of dishes recommended in Bon Appetit was not available and not even on the main menu. Instead I had the bucatini (also recommended in BA) and found it to be gummy and over salted. The wines were all extremely over-priced and the one that was somewhat reasonable ($50 for a rose!!!) was not available. Overall, I have to think that putting this among the top 10 new restaurants in the US (according to BA) has to be a stretch. Would not return.Special Features:
- OverhypedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014The good dishes: fried anchovies and crispy pigs' tails(save for the ones that were all bone). Pastas: OK but small and served cold; rest nothing to write home about. And the service: ouch. Went on the basis of SF Chronicle review: reviewer was on another planet but maybe he has a different orbit than the rest of us
- Good for foodiesChesapeakeDined on 9/17/2014The food was wonderful. You order and pay by--antipasti, first, second, third, vegetables and dessert. The crispy pig tails are wonderful and many patrons were eating it. The anchovy fritto and minestrone were the best we've ever had. The pasta choices were all tasty and we both had the hanger steak which was cooked perfectly. We shared the blistered padron peppers which were perfectly cooked. By dessert, we could only share a dark chocolate sorbet. Yum. Air conditioning was not working and it was hot. Found service aloof. Wine list has few California wines--the rest Italian wines. We watched April Bloomfield on the PBS show, so it was a good, but expensive experience and Bon Appetit says it's one of the best new restaurants.Special Features:
- We had a great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Mixed reviews had us wondering if we should make the trek into North Beach, park, etc. We had a wonderful time. Food was very good- not stellar (consider the competition in SF) but everything we ordered was prepared well and quite delicious. Service was excellent from bar to coffee (contrary to reviews). We visited with the couple sitting next to us and were still treated finely, meaning, we weren't shushed out the door. By the time we left, the bar was packed. Good energy overall.Special Features:
- The Publicity is JustifiedFrugalGastronomeVIPDined on 9/16/2014The new owners of this traditional trattoria apparently kept the previous decor. It's not quiet. The menu is small but varied, with the traditional Italian courses. Service was efficient but unhurried - Italian style. Don't plan on a quick meal. Our server was excellent, and knew the wines as well as the food.The wines by the glass were first rate (as were the cocktails). We got the pig's tail (tasty, but a novelty) and the fennel (ethereal). I had the green salad (familiar and unfamiliar greens under a not-too-tart vinaigrette) and the pasta with braised pork shank. My wife got the summer minestrone (surprisingly, delightfully rich) and the mushroom polenta. All were delicious and perfectly prepared, as was the cannoli for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambience.BethDined on 9/14/2014The place is great and I love going there. The bar is extremely slow however. We were seated a while before the server came over and then we ordered drinks and waited and waited. Since they didn't have many people there at that time (the only reservation we could get was 5:15) we could not understand why it took so long. Simple drinks,not fancy ones. Same experience on other visits. Our friends agreed with us that it was all worth the wait, however - the food is excellent and no so precious you can't figure out what it is unlike some other highly rated restaurants in town. Go, and be patient - it's worth it.Special Features: