350 N State Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tortoiseclub.com/
- Phone: (312) 755-1700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Aaron Browning
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Friday and Saturday Evenings!
- Special Events: Private Event Space - Our Beautiful Red Room (seating 20-55), Board Room (seating 8-22), and the Clubhouse Dining Room (seating 60-125)
A word from Tortoise Club
The Tortoise Club is a charming restaurant offering Classic American Fare with Gracious Chicago Hospitality in Clubby Atmosphere. Featuring Live Jazz on Friday and Saturday Evenings!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tortoise Club reviews from OpenTable diners
213 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (105)good for groups (91)fit for foodies (74)romantic (58)neighborhood gem (56)notable wine list (53)vibrant bar scene (52)great for lunch (39)hot spot (35)late-night find (17)great for outdoor dining (12)great for brunch (8)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great decor and staff was fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014The bar area is a great place to grab a ink and an appetizer and hang with friends. The dining area is very nice and especially liked the room with the red walls and fire place. It was closed off from the other part of the restaurant so not as noisy. Our waitress, Sasha,was wonderful! The food was good but did not blow me away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The specials are what you should ordermickDined on 11/21/2014I looked at the menu before I got there deciding what I wanted but once out server told me the specials my mind was totally changed. I ordered the butternut squash soup and the braised beef or beef rib. It was all amazing. Our server is attentive but gives you room to talk. We sat in the brown room not the red room and it was plenty of room Between tables. The jazz was a very nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy in the winterGretchenVIPDined on 11/21/2014Very cozy, so it is a great place to stop in the winter for a few cocktails and a bite. Their cocktails are good and the servers were very helpful and knowledgable. The food was good, not amazing...but nothing was bad. I had the mussels and a side of fries, both of which were highlights at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/21/2014Noise level was ranked high because we elected to eat a table in the bar. The noise level in the main restaurant is usually low.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality RestaurantGiffVIPDined on 11/21/2014Just a quality pleasant dining experience with an intimate feel. High quality staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDebbVIPDined on 11/20/2014Among the people in our group of 5 we enjoyed the soup special and salads. 3 of us had the Skirt steak and loved them. It would be nice if the steak had a side dish to accompany it. iSeveral of us had the white fish which was healthy and good. We were all very happy with our meal and the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly GoodSeasonedTravelerVIPDined on 11/20/2014Definitely a Keeper! Approaching the ambiance of a London club. Comfortable chairs. Warm professional reception. Lively bar. We cannot speak highly enough about the personable and professional servers, so the service is truly excellent. A menu to suit all tastes and superb food. House smoked salmon is a delicious and stands out amongst the hors d'oeuvres. Butterflied Idaho Trout and Grilled Ahi Tuna Steak are certainly good choices for main courses. Reasonable prices and good sized tables. We are now regulars. Owner, Keene Addington, often in attendance and they have an excellent executive chef in Aaron Browning,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous!megelizabethDined on 11/15/2014I loved the Tortoise Club. I will definitely be coming back. They had amazing food and even better service. I'll be sure to reccomend it to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a KeeperSeasonedTravelerVIPDined on 11/13/2014Introduced to Tortoise Club recently by friends following Executive Chef Aaron Browning, and this was already our third visit in one week! This is definitely a Keeper! Ambiance of a London Club. Comfortable chairs. Warm professional reception. Lively bar. Service is excellent. A menu to suit all tastes and superb Food. We plan to be regulars. Already booked again for next week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Ambiance & Great Place for Business LunchLiseReneeDined on 11/13/2014I was looking for a convenient place for a business lunch and a friend recommended I try this place. What a great suggestion. I loved the decor, ambiance, light jazz music playing in the background, outstanding service and great lunch. It was a perfect place for our business lunch and I can't wait to come back in the evening for the live music and to try their evening menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We wanted to like it, but...AbcdVIPDined on 11/10/2014This place reads old supper club: female employees in pearls and pencil skirts, men in bow ties, nice warm, dark dining room. The waiter we had was so full of himself and overly theatrical that it was embarrassing. I wish we had told him to snap out of it, but we didn't. The food was good, but the menu is similar to a million steakhouses around the city with less obnoxious service, so we probably won't go back. My husband says it feels like you're in an Oscar Wilde play.
- great ambienceFWH1977VIPDined on 11/8/2014food was not as great as the ambience. the room is amazing and fun, but the steak tartare had way too much chips and should have been a little larger. the lobster roll was good. the oysters could have been fresher. shrimp cocktail should have come with cocktail sauce from the get-goI would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience at Tort ClubchicagoonceayearDined on 11/8/2014Had a large group at Tort Club this past weekend. Every one very happy with their meals and drinks. Waiter did a nice job, but lacked an engaging personality which can be a nice add. Group thought value for what we had was good. I had salmon, was very nicely done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceSteveSDined on 11/8/2014We were not sure what to expect based of the mixed reviews we read: But we( two couples) were put at ease: we were early so they offered us a table in their lounge area. The manager and the server were great, the Jazz was warm and the atmosphere was real. Us guys had the Dover sole which was the best I ever had, and the ladies had the ahi tuna and that was great too. We had good Barolo wine. I don't usually like cherry pie but theirs was wonderful. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak house all the waythomps97VIPDined on 11/7/2014The ambiance is perfect for someone looking for the "old Chicago" steakhouse scene. The menu is pure steakhouse, with classic entrees. Our food was very well prepared. I had salmon, which was great. My husband had the veal chop, which was well-prepared. The service was very attentive, and the wine list was great for the type of food served. There were reasonable by-the-glass options, and the bottle selection was impressive. The location of this restaurant is wonderful for those staying near the Trump Tower or Langham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine New FindSeasonedTravelerVIPDined on 11/6/2014Introduced to Tortoise Club by friends following Executive Chef Aaron Browning, this was our second visit in one week! This is definitely a Keeper! Ambiance of a London Club. Warm professional reception. Lively bar. Service is excellent. A menu to suit all tastes and superb Food. We plan to be regulars.Special Features:
- tipsterVIPDined on 11/2/2014wonderful food and atmosphere. I had clients with me and, unlike most Chicago restaurants, we could have a normal cpnversation without having to yell across the table.Special Features:
- Sunday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/26/2014My family and I went to celebrate my Fiancé's birthday. We were there right at 5:00 when they opened and were warmly greeted by hostess and seated. We had a wonderful waiter who was very knowledgable and very friendly and entertaining. All the food was excellent. They sent out a delicious delish tray for his birthday. We also had the crab drip which was excellent and the ahi tuna tartare. My brother got the tomato soup and my mom and I split the seasonal soup they kindly split it into two bowls! For our entrees I got the scallops. They are perfectly cooked and served with rice and delicious asparagus. The table also got the filet which were cooked perfectly, the salmon very fresh, and the white fish. We will absolutely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe; amazing cocktailsKeeksDined on 10/25/2014One of my favorite places to go while in Chicago. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014My wife's filet with Diane sauce didn't excite her and the AU gratin potatoes were nothing special. I had the 20 oz. bone in ribeye with the house made worcestshire which was good. Much better steakhouses in Chicago.
- Always GreatGjs64VIPDined on 10/24/2014Great choice for pre-theater. Food is excellent as is the service.Special Features:
- TortoiseGuillermo1215VIPDined on 10/24/2014Good concept- great location- friendly service- rooting for them - food was very average and unimaginative - will need to pick it up a notch to survive in competitive niche
- Excellent LunchJamesVIPDined on 10/24/2014Great place for a long lunch or Biz lunch. Wide range of options on the menu and service was excellent. Ordered the Grilled Cheese/Tomato Soup and Crab Cake Sando. A little mix up in the kitchen sent a salad to our table in lieu of the Crab Cake Sando, so I shared my lunch with my wife while we waited 10 minutes or so for the correction. Waiter was great an comp'd the 1/2 the bill. Food was fantastic.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/22/2014brought out of country guests here as I didn't want to go to a bland, high-end big steak chain, and was not disappointed as the food was great. They all liked big steaks and pork chops and the menu worked for them, and others like myself had fish (Idaho trout) which was excellent. Sasha our waitress was extremely knowledgeable about the food and drink preparation and made it a great meal. Quick food and drink service, not rushed but prompt. Would definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for business lunchesRecciRunDined on 10/21/2014Great food, noise level and atmosphere great for business lunch. Plan on revisiting in the evening before recommending to Senior Executives or Board of Directors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed with the servicebritluDined on 10/20/2014I took a group of colleagues and clients to the Tortoise Club for dinner and was suitably impressed with the level of service. One of the friendliest, most knowledgeable waiters I have ever had, ever...I want him to describe all my food for me from now on. Very impressed with most of the food, although my linguine with clam sauce was not my favourite thing I've ever eaten the rest of the group very much enjoyed the food.Special Features:
- Food and Service Outstanding!foodieDined on 10/18/2014Service was incredible and REALLY appreciated all of the Gluten Free options. Great ambiance too!Special Features:
- Reunion DinnerSSIMPROVDined on 10/17/2014I planned a reunion dinner for my sorority sisters to celebrate 25 years in Delta Sigma Theta. Our server was superb; he was friendly, knowledgeable, and prompt. The jazz music and soft lighting provided the perfect atmosphere. The restaurant was beautiful; our table was gorgeous. I highly recommend the Tortoise Club.Special Features:
- Great spot!KPchicagoVIPDined on 10/16/2014I had never heard of this place before go dining it on Open Table. It was a lively scene, and my friends and I had a great meal there. I would easily go back for cocktails or dinner again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & service but noisyMarkDined on 10/16/2014The food and service we received were great. Unfortunately, our table was located near the very noisy bar, and we could barely hear each other.Special Features:
- GreatposttheatrediningDined on 10/16/2014Great spot in the heart of Chicago. Excellent food and service. Very accommodating to theatre goers as valet parking is free with your dinner. You can park your car before the theatre and then pick it up after your dinner at the restaurant. A number of the wait staff are aspiring actors which offers opportunities to discuss recent performances.Special Features:
- The Executive Chef is gone, but...Alex3485VIPDined on 10/14/2014We were not sure we wanted to come to this place after hearing the Executive Chef, Gray McNally left 2 months ago, but I am so glad we did. We split the wedge salad, which was delicious, followed by the white fish and meatloaf. My husband said that was the best meal he has had in Chicago. I loved my meatloaf, but my husband took a bite and said it was too sweet for him, I thought it was perfect. This restaurant reminded me of the movie about the executive chef, called Chef. Here's hoping someday McNally will create some more incredible signature dishes that has made the Tortoise Club a standout in 2 short years since their opening. We are looking forward to his opening a small restaurant hopefully in the future, like in the movie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service!Markj1985Dined on 10/12/2014I've rarely had a perfect experience at a restaurant and this pretty was just that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedluvgoodfoodVIPDined on 10/11/2014We were at Tortoise Club in June for our anniversary and it was wonderful - food was great - service superb. Very enjoyable. We went with friends last Saturday (our recommendation). It was a such a disappointment - mostly the food. My filet was bland - not cooked to my order - served with a few pieces of asparagus - no flavor at all. My husband ordered the pork chop which he had before - it was prepared completely different - it was sliced in pieces, again, bland. We go the the best of the best restaurants that Chicago has to offer and don't mind paying the price for a delicious meal. Even though we love the supper club atmosphere at Tortoise Club, we will not go back or recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- The Best Salmon I've Ever Eaten!dswrothDined on 10/11/2014We dined early (6:30 PM) at the Tortoise Club on a Saturday night. Our waiter was wonderful, providing good food and drink suggestions specifically for us, just based on some friendly chit-chat as we were first seated. My wife had the salmon, which is one of her "go-to" dishes when we dine out, and after her first bite, she exclaimed "This is the best salmon I've ever eaten!" The waiter told us that it's line caught salmon from Alaska and the restaurant gets the fish whole to ensure it's legit! I had the Trofie Pasta with cauliflower and caramelized onion cream sauce - it was also very, very good. By the time we left at about 8:00, the place was hopping - energetic and full of people. A great place with great food!Special Features:
- A Happening PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2014This was our second time at the Tortoise Club, and we'll be back. The food is good, the atmosphere conducive to conversation, and the service good too. The live jazz was most enjoyable, without dampening conversation. We especially the shrimp de jonghe appetizer, which really could have been eaten and an entree, if desired. Our friends loved the slightly spicy steak tartare. The reason for 4 stars and not 5: my petite fillet (6 oz), ordered medium, came out so rare it could be called blue. The waiter claimed responsibility, took it back. Second time, the steak came out rare/medium rare. I should have sent it back again, but didn't want to keep waiting. Most of it came home for the dog, but I decided it was too rare our little Shih Tzu.Special Features:
- Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014Loved the food, but would like to see more meat options at a lower price. How a about prime rib on the weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite neighborhood placeEyeDineVIPDined on 10/8/2014I love that this classic space, with a creative menu and excellent service is less than a 15 minute walk from home. The food is good, including a modern twist on some traditional favorites; but the service is amazing. The staff knows the menu, has informed opinions and recommendations. That they call the host by name makes this place akin to a private club, only cooler...and an ideal place to entertain business colleagues or anyone you want to impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and foodScsldinerDined on 10/7/2014The food was great, service excellent and ambiance a good time. I would recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old SchoolOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/7/2014The tortoise club will take you back in time to great private club dining and socializing. Think of 21Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.