350 N State Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tortoiseclub.com/
- Phone: 3127551700x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Aaron Browning
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Friday and Saturday Evenings!
- Special Events: Private Event Space - Our Beautiful Red Room (seating 20-55), Board Room (seating 8-22), and the Clubhouse Dining Room (seating 60-125)
A word from Tortoise Club
The Tortoise Club is a charming restaurant offering Classic American Fare with Gracious Chicago Hospitality in Clubby Atmosphere. Featuring Live Jazz on Friday and Saturday Evenings!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tortoise Club reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (102)good for groups (78)fit for foodies (61)romantic (58)neighborhood gem (57)vibrant bar scene (46)notable wine list (46)great for lunch (42)hot spot (29)great for outdoor dining (17)late-night find (16)great for brunch (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Impressed with the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014I took a group of colleagues and clients to the Tortoise Club for dinner and was suitably impressed with the level of service. One of the friendliest, most knowledgeable waiters I have ever had, ever...I want him to describe all my food for me from now on. Very impressed with most of the food, although my linguine with clam sauce was not my favourite thing I've ever eaten the rest of the group very much enjoyed the food.Special Features:
- Food and Service Outstanding!foodieDined on 10/18/2014Service was incredible and REALLY appreciated all of the Gluten Free options. Great ambiance too!Special Features:
- Reunion DinnerSSIMPROVDined on 10/17/2014I planned a reunion dinner for my sorority sisters to celebrate 25 years in Delta Sigma Theta. Our server was superb; he was friendly, knowledgeable, and prompt. The jazz music and soft lighting provided the perfect atmosphere. The restaurant was beautiful; our table was gorgeous. I highly recommend the Tortoise Club.Special Features:
- Great spot!KPchicagoVIPDined on 10/16/2014I had never heard of this place before go dining it on Open Table. It was a lively scene, and my friends and I had a great meal there. I would easily go back for cocktails or dinner again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & service but noisyMarkDined on 10/16/2014The food and service we received were great. Unfortunately, our table was located near the very noisy bar, and we could barely hear each other.Special Features:
- GreatposttheatrediningDined on 10/16/2014Great spot in the heart of Chicago. Excellent food and service. Very accommodating to theatre goers as valet parking is free with your dinner. You can park your car before the theatre and then pick it up after your dinner at the restaurant. A number of the wait staff are aspiring actors which offers opportunities to discuss recent performances.Special Features:
- The Executive Chef is gone, but...Alex3485Dined on 10/14/2014We were not sure we wanted to come to this place after hearing the Executive Chef, Gray McNally left 2 months ago, but I am so glad we did. We split the wedge salad, which was delicious, followed by the white fish and meatloaf. My husband said that was the best meal he has had in Chicago. I loved my meatloaf, but my husband took a bite and said it was too sweet for him, I thought it was perfect. This restaurant reminded me of the movie about the executive chef, called Chef. Here's hoping someday McNally will create some more incredible signature dishes that has made the Tortoise Club a standout in 2 short years since their opening. We are looking forward to his opening a small restaurant hopefully in the future, like in the movie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service!Markj1985Dined on 10/12/2014I've rarely had a perfect experience at a restaurant and this pretty was just that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedluvgoodfoodVIPDined on 10/11/2014We were at Tortoise Club in June for our anniversary and it was wonderful - food was great - service superb. Very enjoyable. We went with friends last Saturday (our recommendation). It was a such a disappointment - mostly the food. My filet was bland - not cooked to my order - served with a few pieces of asparagus - no flavor at all. My husband ordered the pork chop which he had before - it was prepared completely different - it was sliced in pieces, again, bland. We go the the best of the best restaurants that Chicago has to offer and don't mind paying the price for a delicious meal. Even though we love the supper club atmosphere at Tortoise Club, we will not go back or recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- The Best Salmon I've Ever Eaten!dswrothDined on 10/11/2014We dined early (6:30 PM) at the Tortoise Club on a Saturday night. Our waiter was wonderful, providing good food and drink suggestions specifically for us, just based on some friendly chit-chat as we were first seated. My wife had the salmon, which is one of her "go-to" dishes when we dine out, and after her first bite, she exclaimed "This is the best salmon I've ever eaten!" The waiter told us that it's line caught salmon from Alaska and the restaurant gets the fish whole to ensure it's legit! I had the Trofie Pasta with cauliflower and caramelized onion cream sauce - it was also very, very good. By the time we left at about 8:00, the place was hopping - energetic and full of people. A great place with great food!Special Features:
- A Happening PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2014This was our second time at the Tortoise Club, and we'll be back. The food is good, the atmosphere conducive to conversation, and the service good too. The live jazz was most enjoyable, without dampening conversation. We especially the shrimp de jonghe appetizer, which really could have been eaten and an entree, if desired. Our friends loved the slightly spicy steak tartare. The reason for 4 stars and not 5: my petite fillet (6 oz), ordered medium, came out so rare it could be called blue. The waiter claimed responsibility, took it back. Second time, the steak came out rare/medium rare. I should have sent it back again, but didn't want to keep waiting. Most of it came home for the dog, but I decided it was too rare our little Shih Tzu.Special Features:
- Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014Loved the food, but would like to see more meat options at a lower price. How a about prime rib on the weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite neighborhood placeEyeDineVIPDined on 10/8/2014I love that this classic space, with a creative menu and excellent service is less than a 15 minute walk from home. The food is good, including a modern twist on some traditional favorites; but the service is amazing. The staff knows the menu, has informed opinions and recommendations. That they call the host by name makes this place akin to a private club, only cooler...and an ideal place to entertain business colleagues or anyone you want to impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and foodScsldinerDined on 10/7/2014The food was great, service excellent and ambiance a good time. I would recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old SchoolOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/7/2014The tortoise club will take you back in time to great private club dining and socializing. Think of 21Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoAnnDined on 10/6/2014We had a nice anniversary dinner. The food was good --- but not outstanding. We're not sure we would revisit.Special Features:
- BarbDined on 10/6/2014We would definitely go back on our next trip to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyoneGeneVIPDined on 10/6/2014Very warm and friendly ambiance, eclectic menu, yet many comfort food choices as well: try the bourbon glazed meat loaf, for example; or the pheasant pie, which you won't likely find elsewhere! Portions run large, particularly entrees, so can be a bit wasteful even for a hearty eater. Wine selection is good, a bit more pricey than expected (2012 Prisoner for $90?). Worth a try when you are in the shadow of the Trump Tower.Special Features:
- First Time Here, Great MealMasonVIPDined on 10/4/2014Was our first time at this restaurant, we had a fantastic meal and a wonderful experience. You can tell this restaurant takes special note of requests. I simply mentioned it was a birthday celebration when the restaurant called to confirm our reservation the day of the reservation. Upon our arrival there was a special note on the table + a glass of champagne for the one celebrating the birthday. Excellent service from our server, Marty. I was truly impressed with our first visit to Tortoise club and it will not be our last. Classic food (done right) and wonderful for a special occasion.Special Features:
- LOVE TORTOISE CLUBFrankDined on 9/30/2014We had a great time at the Tortoise Club. From the service to the food, it was a perfect dining experience. Diego our server was incredibly informed about the food and wine menu and he was more than obliged to answer any questions we had, he did not rush us at all while we were making our choices. There was always someone to fill our waters right when we needed it, or to take away our plates. The food was simply exquisite, relish tray for appetizer, a very tasty steak tartare and for my entree I had the scallops, and my wife the meatloaf. I would HIGHLY recommend that to anyone planning on dining there. Everything was outstanding, we even received a visit from one of the managers. Thanks a lot! Worth the money! They made us fell at homeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceSulliDined on 9/29/2014Sasha was our waitress. She was knowledgeable and friendly. She added to the enjoyment of this business dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/26/2014Service was fantastic. Pace was perfect - we were not rushed. Jazz playing in the bar added to the ambiance.Special Features:
- Good Ol' BoysopccDined on 9/26/2014The food and drinks were great, service top notch, decor-very formal, but I couldn't help feeling I was eating in a board room. Maybe too much leather for my liking.Special Features:
- Wonderful, just wonderfulLCCRDined on 9/25/2014The ambiance is clubby, relaxed, warm and inviting. They gave us the secluded table I requested at reservation, with a Happy Anniversary note on it when we arrived, champagne from the owner with a personal welcome and thanks for coming. Our server, Patrick is a jewel; friendly, attentive & informative. His guidance was right on the mark. And most importantly, the food is marvelous. I had the signature Berkshire pork chop, grilled and glazed to perfection. My husband had halibut with wild mushrooms. Both were fantastic. Desserts were also wonderful; cherry pie to rival my Mom's and a brownie concoction my husband couldn't get enough of. Wine list is varied, with a nice variety of selections for every price point. Worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely FabulousDebbVIPDined on 9/24/2014We came to the Tortoise Club as a last minute early dinner after work and I am already looking forward to returning. Our waiter Jose was professional and friendly. He had perfect drink and main course suggestions. We loved the tomato soup, the lobster po boy, and the pork chop. There were several items on the menu that I look forward to in the future. Near future.Special Features:
- BruceDined on 9/23/2014I have been to the Tortoise Club many times and this was the first time dining in the "Red Room". There was a large party going on in the main dinng room and from the service and food preparation no one in my party no one had any complaints. Great personalized service and great food! I love this place for entertaining, business meals, a snack at the bar and just dining for two.Special Features:
- Not for the hard of hearing....HutlzeVIPDined on 9/20/2014Was able to snag a last-minute Saturday night reservation. Much more elegant than expected and with the live music in the bar, very lively. We had to wait about 15 minutes to be seated and waiter couldn't have been nicer or more attentive. My husband has trouble hearing and they offered to find us a different table further from the music, but we dealt with it. Parmesan bread on table was addictive. Hubby was happy with a small steak and nice Caprese salad to start. I had the Tuna tartare appetizer as my meal and it was quite good, but a bit spicy!Special Features:
- Great for special occasionFirstTimeChicagoDined on 9/20/2014We went there to celebrate our engagement. The staff was absolutely amazing, greeted us with champagne and booked us a great table in the Red Room on a busy Saturday night (I called in advance to ask for that). Staff was very friendly and genuine - was great to be there. Food was amazing, and the music was pleasant. Totally recommend. Just let them know in advance that it is a special occasion. A+++Special Features:
- SteakloverVIPDined on 9/20/2014I had great expectations, and so it goes. My Martini was not dirty, had to get re-mixed. I asked if there were Vakalia onions avilable, my server never heard of them and was sure there weren't any. My Steak was not cooked as Not clear if it was CHOICE OR SELECT, it was not PRIME. requested and had to go back. Coffee came with sugar and sweeteners but no cream. Seems like there was a mis-step at every turn. Might check out the bar. Spend the extra money and go to Ruth's, Mastros, Morton's and.........Special Features:
- It's consistently Great!SoniaDined on 9/14/2014Each of the 3 times I've dinned at Tortoise Club the staff always seems genuinely happy that we are there! They are enthusiastic, kind and oh so helpful! Our server was absolutely delightful this time, I don't remember his name. (AA male, medium build) He made our experience this time even better than the previous 2 visits! I keep coming back for the Lobster Roll, it's the best around! My boyfriend is vegetarian so finds it a little more difficult to find a good entree so he's usually satisfied ordering a few sides and the arugula and beet salad that is super tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BisneyVIPDined on 9/14/2014We had a very enjoyable dinner at Tortoise Club. They were very accommodating as our group was larger than expected. We loved the portion size and had room for desert. Pork chop, tuna tartae, brownie and hummer were the best from the items we ordered. We plan to be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/13/2014We saw Tortoise Club on check please, and it looked like our kind of place. The atmosphere is great - low lights, lots of old world wood, great live music. However, the food was just not special. I had a filet, which was cooked perfectly, but tasted like a filet I would grill at home. My husband's chicken had a good flavor but was Luke warm. iThis a nice place, so I think our expectations were just too high.
- Nd 9.9.14OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/9/2014Great service and awesome service. Diego great waiter and David mgt was awesome. They treated us great!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tortoise ClubOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/9/2014Really enjoyed a late lunch here. All aspects were top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent staffBMW650Dined on 9/8/2014I have lunched at the Tortoise Club many times and always feel so welcomed by the hostesses and whoever our server was on that day. The only reason I gave three stars for overall dining experience was the time we waited between our initial seating and the time it took to get menus and then the food. That said our server was extremely knowledgeable about the menu, offered wonderful suggestions for add-ons to our meals (we ordered his recommendations) and was generally helpful. He is a gem. All of these things culminated into a wonderful business lunch for the entire group.Special Features:
- Play it Again, Sam.BobbyPVIPDined on 9/6/2014After one of our dinner guests received a cold cup of soup ordered hot and then a well done steak, ordered rare, the staff were kind enough to immediately rectify the mistake by quickly replacing both and adjusting the bill accordingly. Our waiter, Shimmy was beyond good...despite the mix up we'll be back and requesting his service!Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Excellent all round. Fantastic food and service. The waiter, Eric, was knowledgable about the food and wine. His recommendations were brilliant. The steak we had was cooked exactly to order. The ambience was restful and romantic ( it was our wedding anniversary). Highly recommended.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014Nice ambiance to this restaurant, solid service, excellent wine list and solid 'chop house' menu. Felt the menu offered few unique specials and/or selections that stood out. Excellent value with the coupon, but probably priced out for a future return. Not clear on the positioning of this restaurant versus other choices and why I might return vs try something else.Special Features:
- Outstanding service!FrankDined on 9/3/2014This was my second visit to this restaurant. In one word, perfect. The food, the atmosphere, the service. They couldn't have made it better! Our server Diego was a wonderful guide for our evening. Spot on suggestions, not overbearing, there when needed. Wine and food knowledge. He really helped to make a memorable evening. Looking forward to returning very soon. The food is brilliant...I try the crab-avocado special, It was amazing! The best lobster roll in the city. The Alaskan Halibut was like nothing I've ever experience. The restaurant is beautiful, great decor and beautiful paintings. Most important, they were so accommodating to food allergies. They knew exactly what gluten was and adapted the menu accordingly. Can't wait to go back.
- For Good Drinks, STAY AWAY!!DinedAgainVIPDined on 8/29/2014The martini's my guest and I ordered were just AWFUL!! I don't know if this was due to the waitress giving the bartender an improper order or the bartender just fails miserably at dirty martini's but they were ghastly awful. Mine was a typical, dirty, extra dry vodka martini and my guest order the same except "slightly" dirty. They both were just awful. Mine was like a reverse pour where the olive juice greatly outnumbered the vodka. It was simply drinking olive brine, akin to sipping on a liquid salt lick. My guest's was only slightly less "dirty" but far, far from being "slightly dirty". A replacement failed at helping the situation out. And simply added, service nor the food was enough to save this experience.