350 N State Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tortoiseclub.com/
- Phone: 3127551700x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Aaron Browning
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Friday and Saturday Evenings!
- Special Events: Private Event Space - Our Beautiful Red Room (seating 20-55), Board Room (seating 8-22), and the Clubhouse Dining Room (seating 60-125)
A word from Tortoise Club
The Tortoise Club is a charming restaurant offering Classic American Fare with Gracious Chicago Hospitality in Clubby Atmosphere. Featuring Live Jazz on Friday and Saturday Evenings!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tortoise Club reviews from OpenTable diners
196 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (89)good for groups (64)fit for foodies (56)romantic (56)neighborhood gem (48)great for lunch (39)vibrant bar scene (37)notable wine list (29)hot spot (21)late-night find (16)great for outdoor dining (15)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- It's consistently Great!SoniaDined on 9/14/2014Each of the 3 times I've dinned at Tortoise Club the staff always seems genuinely happy that we are there! They are enthusiastic, kind and oh so helpful! Our server was absolutely delightful this time, I don't remember his name. (AA male, medium build) He made our experience this time even better than the previous 2 visits! I keep coming back for the Lobster Roll, it's the best around! My boyfriend is vegetarian so finds it a little more difficult to find a good entree so he's usually satisfied ordering a few sides and the arugula and beet salad that is super tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BisneyVIPDined on 9/14/2014We had a very enjoyable dinner at Tortoise Club. They were very accommodating as our group was larger than expected. We loved the portion size and had room for desert. Pork chop, tuna tartae, brownie and hummer were the best from the items we ordered. We plan to be back.Special Features:
- Nd 9.9.14OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/9/2014Great service and awesome service. Diego great waiter and David mgt was awesome. They treated us great!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tortoise ClubOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/9/2014Really enjoyed a late lunch here. All aspects were top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent staffBMW650Dined on 9/8/2014I have lunched at the Tortoise Club many times and always feel so welcomed by the hostesses and whoever our server was on that day. The only reason I gave three stars for overall dining experience was the time we waited between our initial seating and the time it took to get menus and then the food. That said our server was extremely knowledgeable about the menu, offered wonderful suggestions for add-ons to our meals (we ordered his recommendations) and was generally helpful. He is a gem. All of these things culminated into a wonderful business lunch for the entire group.Special Features:
- Play it Again, Sam.BobbyPVIPDined on 9/6/2014After one of our dinner guests received a cold cup of soup ordered hot and then a well done steak, ordered rare, the staff were kind enough to immediately rectify the mistake by quickly replacing both and adjusting the bill accordingly. Our waiter, Shimmy was beyond good...despite the mix up we'll be back and requesting his service!Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Excellent all round. Fantastic food and service. The waiter, Eric, was knowledgable about the food and wine. His recommendations were brilliant. The steak we had was cooked exactly to order. The ambience was restful and romantic ( it was our wedding anniversary). Highly recommended.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014Nice ambiance to this restaurant, solid service, excellent wine list and solid 'chop house' menu. Felt the menu offered few unique specials and/or selections that stood out. Excellent value with the coupon, but probably priced out for a future return. Not clear on the positioning of this restaurant versus other choices and why I might return vs try something else.Special Features:
- Outstanding service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014This was my second visit to this restaurant. In one word, perfect. The food, the atmosphere, the service. They couldn't have made it better! Our server Diego was a wonderful guide for our evening. Spot on suggestions, not overbearing, there when needed. Wine and food knowledge. He really helped to make a memorable evening. Looking forward to returning very soon. The food is brilliant...I try the crab-avocado special, It was amazing! The best lobster roll in the city. The Alaskan Halibut was like nothing I've ever experience. The restaurant is beautiful, great decor and beautiful paintings. Most important, they were so accommodating to food allergies. They knew exactly what gluten was and adapted the menu accordingly. Can't wait to go back.
- For Good Drinks, STAY AWAY!!DinedAgainVIPDined on 8/29/2014The martini's my guest and I ordered were just AWFUL!! I don't know if this was due to the waitress giving the bartender an improper order or the bartender just fails miserably at dirty martini's but they were ghastly awful. Mine was a typical, dirty, extra dry vodka martini and my guest order the same except "slightly" dirty. They both were just awful. Mine was like a reverse pour where the olive juice greatly outnumbered the vodka. It was simply drinking olive brine, akin to sipping on a liquid salt lick. My guest's was only slightly less "dirty" but far, far from being "slightly dirty". A replacement failed at helping the situation out. And simply added, service nor the food was enough to save this experience.
- Great food, exceptional serviceFoodFanVIPDined on 8/29/2014Tortoise Club is now my favorite Chicago restaurant. I reserved a table at 7:00 to celebrate a family graduation. The ceremony ended more quickly than anticpiated TC easily accomodated an early dining time. TC is a beautiful venue with really wonderful food but what made the experience truely exceptional was the service provided by our server, Jimmy. Charming, fun, knowledgable, not intrusive and really took care to not only meet our every need but to anticpate them. After dinner we enjoyed wine and lovely piano music in the bar. It was a lovely night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING NIGHTOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014The Tortoise Club is a pure delight. First of all, I want to say "thank you DIEGO" your service was impeccable - friendly yet unobtrusive. You made us feel like we were in your home for one of the best meals and times ever! Your knowledge about the food and wine were impressive. I just couldn't believe how on top of it you were for such a busy night. On top of that, the food was practically perfection, every dish was brought to us with careful consideration and substitutions for what I was not able to have. The tuna and the pork chop are amazing. Truly a great experience. We will be back without question. We loved it! PS. One random server kept asking if we were ok and Interrupted our conversation several times. We didn't care for him. :)
- Delicious mealfoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014While I find the food at Tortoise Club generally overpriced, when it's good, it's very good. What the steak tartare lacked in flavor the whitefish made up for. And the Manhattan here is really well mixed, though I wish the bar had a better selection of quality gins (Death's Door, Leatherbee, The Botanist, Monkey 47...). The service was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We all got steakOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014It was wonderful. I was not expecting such a nice restaurant (I really knew nothing about it) and was so pleasantly surprised. Drinks were very good, everything we had was delicious. It was a celebratory weekend and we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedbullfanVIPDined on 8/23/2014We went to Tortoise Club with a Travelzoo voucher and had few expectations. The voucher proved well worthwhile, and we had a fantastic dinner! The wine list included some options of all prices, and we had no trouble selecting a nice "middle of the road" wine. We ordered filet and halibut. Both were delicious as was the crab cake appetizer. We never hear anything about this restaurant, but I have no idea why. It was great!
- Mediocre food and noisyTom1Dined on 8/23/2014We had been there before and had a good time, but this time the food was not that good. I had a tomato and mozzarella cheese salad and there was very little cheese, and it wasn't very good. My main course was halibut, and it wasn't bad , just not great. In the form I filled out above, it gave three levels of noise level. The top level was energetic. There should have been a fourth category for "noisy" which it was.
- Service is "off the charts" (good!)EyeDineVIPDined on 8/23/2014Our party met in the bar for drinks and small starters before moving into the 'red' room to join Chimmi, our terrific server whose recommendations are flawless and entertaining all at the same time. If you like a non-stuffy club like place, with service and food that could complement any fine club house then come visit The Tortoise Club. Love it!Special Features:
- Not badTDINCHICAGO1Dined on 8/23/2014This location has potential. It almost there...except...food was not served hot...and presentation was average at best. However, the staff is very friendly...the service was good.Special Features:
- Great findLindaVIPDined on 8/22/2014Ambience of a classy bar complete with great music makes for a wonderful setting. The lobster cocktail was fabulous. Lemon drop martini was mighty fine also. The gin cocktails were delicious as well, says my husband.Special Features:
- Great ServiceTrendycookieDined on 8/22/2014We were here for our anniversary and the staff went above and beyond to help us celebrate. Our waiter was very personable and knowledgable about the menu and the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Fare in Downtown ChicagoSanMateoDined on 8/21/2014The service at Tortoise Club was outstanding. The food was simply delicious and beautifully presented. The wines are expensive, but the selection is impressive. I recommend this for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Warm atmosphere and great foodYumYumEdVIPDined on 8/21/2014A great place for lunch with a cherry on top...cherry pie that is. Yum.Special Features:
- Service Fell FlatjohnLVIPDined on 8/20/2014Went for indulgent lunch with my 12 year old son. Atmosphere is nice. Food was good. Waiter was very attentive to those around us. Photo's with one tabe, checking back with the others.....for us, we saw him for the brusque order taking and then when we had finished our meal. Very disappointing. Without great service, no reason to return. Manager held door for us but did not ask us how we enjoyed experience on way out.
- Celebration dinnerLocaldinerDined on 8/16/2014As usual, the food, service, atmosphere were perfect. My request for a booth was honored and since we were celebrating friends anniversary they made sure there was a sign on the table and a complimentary desert for them as well. I think this is one of the best restaurants in Chicago.Special Features:
- Very nice dinnerEnjoyGoodFoodVIPDined on 8/16/2014Had a great anniversary dinner with my wife. Crab/fried green tomatoe was perfect appetizer. Filet was cooked perfectly and halibut was excellent as well. Had asparagus instead of fries with the steak - much better than fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They made us feel specialOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/15/2014We were celebrating two teenager's birthdays. When we arrived, there was a happy birthday sign on the table. They gave the parents a complimentary glass of sparking wine to celebrate as well! The food was enjoyable, the service was attentive but not overbearing. The homemade cherry pie for dessert was a great end to the evening. This is our second time here for dinner and would definitely recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious seafoodbuckeyegirlVIPDined on 8/14/2014Crab cake sandwich was yummy as were the homemade chipsSpecial Features:
- So good!MinnieDined on 8/10/2014We went here for our anniversary and we couldn't have been happier! Our server was spectacular, the food was impeccable, and we loved the piped-in musical standards, like songs by Frank Sinatra. Oh, boy, those lobster rolls!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wrong NightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Been here twice. Loved the first time, but a terrible 2nd time.. 50/50 means I probably won't go back bc there is just better options.
- Great for LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/7/2014Nice that the Tortoise Club is keeping its quality at high levels--very nice lunch for 6; all were very pleased.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceEmilyDined on 8/2/2014I dined as part of a 4 person group and we enjoyed the food, wine and service. We had a lively conversation and didn't feel we were being too loud (we didn't have to yell to be heard either). It's a great spot downtown, very convenient location.Special Features:
- Another terrific evening!FrankDined on 8/1/2014As usual, everything was great! Our special thanks to Sasha for her kindness during the evening. The Tortoise Club continues to be our favorite!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food & ServiceNancyVIPDined on 7/31/2014This was one of the best dinning experiences we have a had in a long time. Our server Marty was awesome! I am going to ask for him next time we eat at the Tortoise Club. They serve a basket of crisp seasoned crackers which were very good. The drink menu is very creative & they serve good wines by the glass. We started with the crabmeat & fried green tomato which was so flavorful & delicious. Then I had the petite filet/French fries (the waiter suggested blue cheese crumbles on the filet) & my husband had the halibut served with potatoes & asparagus. We both enjoyed our meals. For dessert, we had the turtle sundae & coffee. Both were so good. We will be coming back real soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Surf and Turf optionsWilliamsVIPDined on 7/30/2014The service is outstanding and the food is delicious. We love a good steak house yet the menu is truly varied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-Theater dining...theatergoerDined on 7/30/2014Tortoise Club has a great clubby atmosphere, and is just blocks away from the Chicago theater district. Plus, you can park with their valet parking service and stay through a theater performance for no extra charge. Don't skip the flatbread that comes before dinner...it's fabulous!Special Features:
- dante1Dined on 7/30/2014This was my second visit and I was disappointed in the food and the service, especially the service. I think my friend and I were forgotten in favor of the large table of men next to us. This was not the case with my first visit where the service was very good, if a little overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining EntertainmentTrynewplacesVIPDined on 7/29/2014I took three work colleagues to dinner. Everyone raved about the the food. Salad courses consisted of the beet and quinoa salad and the caprese salad. We had the sea bass and salmon dishes. Dessert was cherry pie which we shared. Absolutely delicious. Our waiter was very entertaining and described the dishes with such enticing detail. He was also very entertaining and made us all laugh. Unfortunately, he did not tell us his name!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well balanced!KjuanVIPDined on 7/27/2014The flavor were well balanced with each entree, offering a great meal and outstanding service. Those were the sweetest tomatoes to complement the buffalo mozzarella. Excellent seasoning and char on the steaks for a non-steakhouse. The house made steak sauce was a pleasant surprise. The star, however, was the center cut ribeye!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing anniversaryhappyanniversaryDined on 7/27/2014Went on Sun 7/27 @ 5 pm. All the food was amazing. Even better than the last time we were there. Service was awesome, and they even had a small placard that said happy anniversary.Special Features:
- It was better the first timesoloopVIPDined on 7/26/2014The first time we came here for dinner- it was perfect! The second time, the steaks were overly charred and not nearly as tender. I forgot to order the other side dish (it came with fries) so I planned to do so when the waiter came back to check on us but he never did until we were almost done. Our drinks needed refreshing as well and we were just simply over-looked. I really can't believe that was the same quality of meat we had the first time- very disappointing and the fries that I was stuck with are nothing special either. I thought this was going to our new "go- to" place but I think we're just stick with the live music in the lounge which is too bad because the ambiance is great!Special Features: