350 N State Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tortoiseclub.com/
- Phone: 3127551700x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Gray McNally
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Friday Evenings!
- Special Events: Private Event Space - Our Beautiful Red Room (seating 20-55), Board Room (seating 8-22), and the Clubhouse Dining Room (seating 60-125)
A word from Tortoise Club
The Tortoise Club is a charming restaurant offering Classic American Fare with Gracious Chicago Hospitality in Clubby Atmosphere. Featuring Live Jazz on Friday Evenings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tortoise Club reviews from OpenTable diners
203 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (93)romantic (63)good for groups (59)fit for foodies (54)great for lunch (47)neighborhood gem (46)vibrant bar scene (35)notable wine list (30)hot spot (21)late-night find (18)great for outdoor dining (14)great for brunch (6)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great food, exceptional serviceFoodFanVIPDined on 8/29/2014Tortoise Club is now my favorite Chicago restaurant. I reserved a table at 7:00 to celebrate a family graduation. The ceremony ended more quickly than anticpiated TC easily accomodated an early dining time. TC is a beautiful venue with really wonderful food but what made the experience truely exceptional was the service provided by our server, Jimmy. Charming, fun, knowledgable, not intrusive and really took care to not only meet our every need but to anticpate them. After dinner we enjoyed wine and lovely piano music in the bar. It was a lovely night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING NIGHTOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014The Tortoise Club is a pure delight. First of all, I want to say "thank you DIEGO" your service was impeccable - friendly yet unobtrusive. You made us feel like we were in your home for one of the best meals and times ever! Your knowledge about the food and wine were impressive. I just couldn't believe how on top of it you were for such a busy night. On top of that, the food was practically perfection, every dish was brought to us with careful consideration and substitutions for what I was not able to have. The tuna and the pork chop are amazing. Truly a great experience. We will be back without question. We loved it! PS. One random server kept asking if we were ok and Interrupted our conversation several times. We didn't care for him. :)
- Delicious mealfoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014While I find the food at Tortoise Club generally overpriced, when it's good, it's very good. What the steak tartare lacked in flavor the whitefish made up for. And the Manhattan here is really well mixed, though I wish the bar had a better selection of quality gins (Death's Door, Leatherbee, The Botanist, Monkey 47...). The service was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We all got steakOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014It was wonderful. I was not expecting such a nice restaurant (I really knew nothing about it) and was so pleasantly surprised. Drinks were very good, everything we had was delicious. It was a celebratory weekend and we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedbullfanVIPDined on 8/23/2014We went to Tortoise Club with a Travelzoo voucher and had few expectations. The voucher proved well worthwhile, and we had a fantastic dinner! The wine list included some options of all prices, and we had no trouble selecting a nice "middle of the road" wine. We ordered filet and halibut. Both were delicious as was the crab cake appetizer. We never hear anything about this restaurant, but I have no idea why. It was great!
- Mediocre food and noisyTom1Dined on 8/23/2014We had been there before and had a good time, but this time the food was not that good. I had a tomato and mozzarella cheese salad and there was very little cheese, and it wasn't very good. My main course was halibut, and it wasn't bad , just not great. In the form I filled out above, it gave three levels of noise level. The top level was energetic. There should have been a fourth category for "noisy" which it was.
- Service is "off the charts" (good!)OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/23/2014Our party met in the bar for drinks and small starters before moving into the 'red' room to join Chimmi, our terrific server whose recommendations are flawless and entertaining all at the same time. If you like a non-stuffy club like place, with service and food that could complement any fine club house then come visit The Tortoise Club. Love it!Special Features:
- Not badTDINCHICAGO1Dined on 8/23/2014This location has potential. It almost there...except...food was not served hot...and presentation was average at best. However, the staff is very friendly...the service was good.Special Features:
- Great findLindaVIPDined on 8/22/2014Ambience of a classy bar complete with great music makes for a wonderful setting. The lobster cocktail was fabulous. Lemon drop martini was mighty fine also. The gin cocktails were delicious as well, says my husband.Special Features:
- Great ServiceTrendycookieDined on 8/22/2014We were here for our anniversary and the staff went above and beyond to help us celebrate. Our waiter was very personable and knowledgable about the menu and the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Fare in Downtown ChicagoSanMateoDined on 8/21/2014The service at Tortoise Club was outstanding. The food was simply delicious and beautifully presented. The wines are expensive, but the selection is impressive. I recommend this for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Warm atmosphere and great foodYumYumEdVIPDined on 8/21/2014A great place for lunch with a cherry on top...cherry pie that is. Yum.Special Features:
- Service Fell FlatjohnLVIPDined on 8/20/2014Went for indulgent lunch with my 12 year old son. Atmosphere is nice. Food was good. Waiter was very attentive to those around us. Photo's with one tabe, checking back with the others.....for us, we saw him for the brusque order taking and then when we had finished our meal. Very disappointing. Without great service, no reason to return. Manager held door for us but did not ask us how we enjoyed experience on way out.
- Celebration dinnerLocaldinerDined on 8/16/2014As usual, the food, service, atmosphere were perfect. My request for a booth was honored and since we were celebrating friends anniversary they made sure there was a sign on the table and a complimentary desert for them as well. I think this is one of the best restaurants in Chicago.Special Features:
- Very nice dinnerEnjoyGoodFoodVIPDined on 8/16/2014Had a great anniversary dinner with my wife. Crab/fried green tomatoe was perfect appetizer. Filet was cooked perfectly and halibut was excellent as well. Had asparagus instead of fries with the steak - much better than fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They made us feel specialOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/15/2014We were celebrating two teenager's birthdays. When we arrived, there was a happy birthday sign on the table. They gave the parents a complimentary glass of sparking wine to celebrate as well! The food was enjoyable, the service was attentive but not overbearing. The homemade cherry pie for dessert was a great end to the evening. This is our second time here for dinner and would definitely recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious seafoodbuckeyegirlVIPDined on 8/14/2014Crab cake sandwich was yummy as were the homemade chipsSpecial Features:
- So good!MinnieDined on 8/10/2014We went here for our anniversary and we couldn't have been happier! Our server was spectacular, the food was impeccable, and we loved the piped-in musical standards, like songs by Frank Sinatra. Oh, boy, those lobster rolls!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wrong NightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Been here twice. Loved the first time, but a terrible 2nd time.. 50/50 means I probably won't go back bc there is just better options.
- Great for LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/7/2014Nice that the Tortoise Club is keeping its quality at high levels--very nice lunch for 6; all were very pleased.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceEmilyDined on 8/2/2014I dined as part of a 4 person group and we enjoyed the food, wine and service. We had a lively conversation and didn't feel we were being too loud (we didn't have to yell to be heard either). It's a great spot downtown, very convenient location.Special Features:
- Another terrific evening!FrankDined on 8/1/2014As usual, everything was great! Our special thanks to Sasha for her kindness during the evening. The Tortoise Club continues to be our favorite!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food & ServiceNancyVIPDined on 7/31/2014This was one of the best dinning experiences we have a had in a long time. Our server Marty was awesome! I am going to ask for him next time we eat at the Tortoise Club. They serve a basket of crisp seasoned crackers which were very good. The drink menu is very creative & they serve good wines by the glass. We started with the crabmeat & fried green tomato which was so flavorful & delicious. Then I had the petite filet/French fries (the waiter suggested blue cheese crumbles on the filet) & my husband had the halibut served with potatoes & asparagus. We both enjoyed our meals. For dessert, we had the turtle sundae & coffee. Both were so good. We will be coming back real soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Surf and Turf optionsWilliamsVIPDined on 7/30/2014The service is outstanding and the food is delicious. We love a good steak house yet the menu is truly varied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-Theater dining...theatergoerDined on 7/30/2014Tortoise Club has a great clubby atmosphere, and is just blocks away from the Chicago theater district. Plus, you can park with their valet parking service and stay through a theater performance for no extra charge. Don't skip the flatbread that comes before dinner...it's fabulous!Special Features:
- dante1Dined on 7/30/2014This was my second visit and I was disappointed in the food and the service, especially the service. I think my friend and I were forgotten in favor of the large table of men next to us. This was not the case with my first visit where the service was very good, if a little overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining EntertainmentTrynewplacesVIPDined on 7/29/2014I took three work colleagues to dinner. Everyone raved about the the food. Salad courses consisted of the beet and quinoa salad and the caprese salad. We had the sea bass and salmon dishes. Dessert was cherry pie which we shared. Absolutely delicious. Our waiter was very entertaining and described the dishes with such enticing detail. He was also very entertaining and made us all laugh. Unfortunately, he did not tell us his name!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well balanced!KjuanVIPDined on 7/27/2014The flavor were well balanced with each entree, offering a great meal and outstanding service. Those were the sweetest tomatoes to complement the buffalo mozzarella. Excellent seasoning and char on the steaks for a non-steakhouse. The house made steak sauce was a pleasant surprise. The star, however, was the center cut ribeye!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing anniversaryhappyanniversaryDined on 7/27/2014Went on Sun 7/27 @ 5 pm. All the food was amazing. Even better than the last time we were there. Service was awesome, and they even had a small placard that said happy anniversary.Special Features:
- It was better the first timesoloopVIPDined on 7/26/2014The first time we came here for dinner- it was perfect! The second time, the steaks were overly charred and not nearly as tender. I forgot to order the other side dish (it came with fries) so I planned to do so when the waiter came back to check on us but he never did until we were almost done. Our drinks needed refreshing as well and we were just simply over-looked. I really can't believe that was the same quality of meat we had the first time- very disappointing and the fries that I was stuck with are nothing special either. I thought this was going to our new "go- to" place but I think we're just stick with the live music in the lounge which is too bad because the ambiance is great!Special Features:
- GloriaDined on 7/26/2014Enjoyed the restaurant and also the jazz. The staff was friendly and our server was very attentive. The steak tartare was fabulous and the filet was done perfectly. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedbdaylunchVIPDined on 7/26/2014Not sure what happened during our recent visit here. Service was not great and the food was a total miss. Ordered a 8 oz filet that was really tough. For that much, it should have melted in my mouth. A nearby table had a similar experience and comiserated with us. Drinks weren't good either. Won't be back.
- Amante de la comidaluv2dineVIPDined on 7/25/2014My daughter and I celebrated my birthday with lunch. It was such a pleasant surprise to see a picture frame placed on our table with a "Happy Birthday" message...very nice touch! Everything we ordered was just scrumptious...from the mouth-watering oysters to the fresh seafood cobb salad and the perfectly grilled asparagus! They had the "just right" crunchiness. The service was tremendous...we were attended to as if we were the only customers dining. It was a very special dining experience which made my birthday celebration all that much pleasurable! Gracias! =)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A return to old-time eleganceDottyDined on 7/23/2014This has the ambience of a lovely, old-fashioned (in a good way) supper club--dark walls, comfortable banquettes and tables, excellent, attentive service. The food was excellent, from my perfectly prepared salmon to my friend's fabulous white fish. I told Tortoise Club it was my friend's birthday and they started us off with complimentary glasses of a very nice champagne. Everything was perfect. He couldn't have been happier--and neither could I.Special Features:
- Welcoming People; Welcoming FoodJPCDVIPDined on 7/22/2014A very comfortable place to eat lunch or dinner with friendly, capable service and involved, astute owners. Surprisingly creative and healthy cuisine that still fits within the comfort food label.Special Features:
- Outstanding service great ood!!!crcregerDined on 7/19/2014I decided to take my wife here for her 36th birthday and it exceeded expectations! The service was fantastic and it made the whole experience worth the trip. Che my I belive how you spell it was over host and he definitely gets a gold star for his service. He had an overwhelming knowledge on what to pair foods with and brought us little extras to go along with our meal. My wife said it was a meal she would never forget. Thank you Tortoise Club.Special Features:
- Good, not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014The food was good. I ordered the steak and it was over done with little to no flavor. The sauce we asked for on the side took a long time to come out. I don't think I would go back. There are more delious options into that area.Special Features:
- Outstanding service & great foodLKSullivanVIPDined on 7/16/2014My friend had the Ham and Cheese Sandwich and raved about it. Brie with Ham, mustard and coleslaw topping - yum! I had the Goat Cheese, Quinoa and Kale salad with grilled salmon - scrumptious!Special Features:
- Very nice but Spendy spotchibuilderDined on 7/14/2014Went here for the first time this week and really enjoyed the meal, space and service. Attentive staff, nice menu and great drinks. We started with the steak tartare and while it was a relatively small serving, the flavor was great and the pretzel crisp toast points were a nice touch. Very good but could have had a more flavor given the noted tabasco as one of the ingredients. Quail egg was also nice. Entrees ranged from cheeseburger to bone-in NY strip and both were very good, though I typically like more "char" on the steak's outside with rare to med-rare on the inside. The inside was cooked as requested but I'm guessing they don't benefit from the highersearing abilities that some of the more notable steak houses use. Try the cherry pie.Special Features:
- Going backvshayDined on 7/12/2014Everything was great food services just was hot in the room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.