1228 11th St NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tortinorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2023125570x
- Hours of Operation:
Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Noe Canales
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Special Events: For special events feel free to contact our general manager David A Galeas at (202) 312-5570
A word from Tortino
Executive Chef and owner Noé Canales welcomes you to experience his vision of contemporary Italian cuisine in his lovely new neighborhood restaurant designed to transport you to a trattoria in Tuscany.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Tortino - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Tortino reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (74)fit for foodies (43)romantic (40)special occasion (29)good for groups (20)notable wine list (13)great for outdoor dining (12)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- TreasureBexleyVIPDined on 8/28/2014Tortino is a wonderful addition to the dining scene. I am almost worried about praising too much so that I won't be able to get a reservation. The food is great. The service is just fine. Try it--you will like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantpiratefanDined on 8/19/2014The spinach salad was outstanding and our entrees were equally as good. The waiter was friendly without being over-bearing. The experience of dinner here was unmatched on our recent trip to DCSpecial Features:
- Surprising Find in NeighborhooddiningindcVIPDined on 8/16/2014When we arrived for our 6:45 reservation, we were promptly greeted by the hostess who showed us to a comfortably sized table. We were a little nervous since there was only one couple dining outside and one inside. But, the menu looked interesting and we stayed. Our menu choices proved to be excellent - in quality, preparation, and presentation. A great find, and already recommended to friends.Special Features:
- No ADA access but nice food winePickyeaterDined on 8/14/2014My active husband is in a wheelchair and the dining room is not accessible. They didn't tell us until a couple of hours before out reservation. We were accommodated by sitting outside, which of course work if raining, snowing etc. service and food was great but food a little pricey. Nice wine list and reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tortino's on Monday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014Food was very good overall but was a little disappointed in linguini and seafood (an evening special). Not impressed by the canolis. Both plates were bland. Loved the scallops and lentils. Very impressed when they set up a table for us outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plan to return!PsyDinerDined on 8/9/2014We had a wonderful dinner here while at a business conference in DC. The food was delicious, especially the lamb shank! The restaurant was a little bustly, so not the best if you're looking for a quiet intimate dinner, but it suited our purposes well. Our waiter was professional but not very warm - the waitress at the next table was very attentive and charming - I'd like to get her if we return! We were very happy with our meal & would love to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little spot!kbeyerVIPDined on 8/9/2014I was trying to find a new spot to have dinner with some friends from out of town, Tortino had good reviews on Open Table so I went for it and am glad I did! They have great appetizers, even better entrees and the staff is very knowledgable about the wine selection and happy to answer any questions you might have. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a not too crowded place to have a hearty Italian meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood gem!JosoVIPDined on 8/8/2014Delicious pasta, outstanding service and nice atmosphere. Would recommend for any occasion!Special Features:
- Amazing serviceSairaDined on 8/7/2014Going out to eat should be a treat. Our waiter always had a smile on his face and it was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed, but good overall.KristinDined on 7/26/2014Service was friendly. Took a risk and ordered the veal. It turned out how I had feared, tough and chewy. The agnolotti is too salty. Heirloom tomato and watermelon salad is good, so is the ravioli.Special Features:
- TortinosOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014Very nice neighborhood restaurant. Food and service was excellent. Would go back in a second. A real find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was decentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014The restaurant smelled like cat food when we walked in. The staff was friendly but our server was the bartender as well...kinda weird. We expect that in a sports bar but not a restaurant like this. So the service was rather delayed. Scallops and pasta were good. Price point was not expensive at all and food was decent for the price. I wouldn't go again and wouldn't recommend. So many other places to go in Washington DC!
- Wonderful Experiencesmm35Dined on 7/21/2014We were craving Italian, and found Tortino online. The food was amazing and service was very good. The spinach pappardelle and calabro ricotta gnocchi were both amazing. The pasta and gnocchi were homemade and were sensational. Great place for a nice dinner out.Special Features:
- ExcellentChrisMDined on 7/21/2014I really enjoyed the food and the service was also great. I would definitely go back another time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/20/2014Basic resto, that has definitely had some favourable reviews. My experience was average and it is not a place I would visit again. Service was pleasant enough but more training may be needed, empty glasses, timing etc. We had the fish, rissotto, calamari, and some wine. Dine on the patio (outside).
- Great Food/Wine/DessertsWW2013Dined on 7/19/2014First time here after numerous recommendations from friends. I highly recommend it--chef is originally from El Salvador but trained in Italy. Hi italian flare shows in spades! My bf had the seafood risotto--wonderful and I had the fried squash blossoms stuffed with crab meat , on a purple basil pesto. dual chocolate cake for dessert. Wine list is not gigantic, but great options on there! Atmosphere/decor: not fancy not tacky, just right and efficient friendly servers and very nice owner.Special Features:
- Nice!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Lamb shank =awesome. That said I took my gf here for a romantic date. And it was! I'd give the place a 95%. The only issue I have is the noise level is pretty loud, and boxing was on tv. Now I've got nothing against boxing.. Just that the match and the noise level turned. 100% awesome romance date to a 95% awesome one. I will definitely go back over and over if for no other reason than the lamb shank.. Yum. I also took off some points because I put in a special note to wish us a happy anniversary and they never did.. Boo. But all the same.. A solid 95% to this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fooddxhoundDined on 7/18/2014My wife and I met an out of town friend for dinner. Was not disappointed. Each entree was excellent. Well prepared and delicious. Only down side was the ambient noise level which was a bit high for conversation. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findMPFoxVIPDined on 7/12/2014The menu had a nice selection but was not extensive which I think is why everything tasted so FRESH. The service was outstanding, everyone made you feel like a regular. I will definetly go back here. The parking can be a little challenging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I could give 1/2 starsPBobbVIPDined on 7/9/2014I'd give it 4.5 instead of 4. Not the fanciest place in terms of decor but does a very good job of not being too casual. The food and service were both 4.5/5. I look forward to returning again, it was a great experience. Very much reminds me of local Italian restaurant's in the NYC area.Special Features:
- Visitors to DCBasilicataVIPDined on 7/6/2014Was on vacation in DC and happened upon Tortino's via open table. Asked the concierge about it at the Embassy suites and they had no experience with the restaurant. It was in walking distance and boy were we happy to eat at this hidden gem. The food was awesome and a family of 4 could eat off of two dishes and be comfortably full. The food was fresh, homemade and absolutely delicious. The waitress was charming and made you feel you were in italy not DC. I will definitely go back on my next visit to DC!Special Features:
- Hidden GemRobertDined on 7/5/2014The food here was outstanding. We got fried calamari as our appetizer which was a ton of food (I'd guess close to a pound of it) but was very good. I never really had calamari before but I became a fan because of this restaurant. We followed it up with the fettuccine bolognese and the seafood pasta special as our main courses. Both were very, very good. The beer and wine selection was extensive and my girlfriend became a fan of riesling wine here. The waiter we had, Jorge, was great, funny and very helpful. My only negative comment was the location of the restaurant, but the food and service largely negate this drawback. It is well worth going to for many occasions. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Wonderful italian spotASH99Dined on 6/29/2014I found this restaurant, because it was listed in the top 100 neighborhood gems for the country by OpenTable. I live 5 blocks away, and had never heard of it or seen it before. Its in the lower level of a small unassuming storefront on 11th street, easy to miss. A group of us went from the neighborhood to check it out, and were very pleasantly surprised. Once you are inside, its very nice and quiet, simple and elegant even, and a decent size space (two rooms). Service is very good, and the food is excellent - more delish gourmet cuisine, not your standard italian fare. We ordered the pappardelle, the lamb ravioli, couple of salads and tiramisu - and each dish was great. Will return again.Special Features:
- A Pleasant SurpriseJakeFoodieVIPDined on 6/27/2014I had my doubts about this restaurant, but I have to admit that I would go back. The beef strip steak was one of the best I have ever had -- excellent grilled flavor. The wine list could use some more options although price levels aren't bad.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/25/2014The pasta was outstanding. Fantastic food at a reasonable price with wonderful service.
- CJMMDined on 6/24/2014I took my mother to dinner at this restaurant and we all loved the food - absolutely delicious! Their specials turned out really well too. The service was great, but not anything notable. The place is quaint and tiny, so the decor could use a bit of modern updating and then I think the ambiance would be perfect.Special Features:
- We love Tortino!outoftenVIPDined on 6/9/2014We live in the Logan Circle neighorhood and we've been to nearly all the trendy spots on 14th Street, and Tortino is still our favorite restaurant hands down. Go and see for yourself!Special Features:
- Great italian spotEatoutDined on 6/7/2014Went here based on Yelp reviews. We had a yummy mealed, reasonably priced, terrific service. We ate at one of a few outdoor table. It's on a busy street, but it was a beautiful evening. Special spinach salad, salmon and ghnocci entrees were all terrifice. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian food gemTomTomDined on 6/7/2014Don't let lackluster exterior fool you. Restaurant has nice interior ambiance and good Italian food - good pasta, calamari and seafood risotto. Will be going back to try lamb osso buco. Service was very attentive also.Special Features:
- Great meal at neighborhood jointcsg479VIPDined on 6/7/2014Many reviews have described this as a neighborhood spot, implying that it's not worth going too far for but we were very pleasantly surprised by everything about the place. We were able to walk there from near the White House. It's not very large and the ambiance is cozy and inviting. The menu looked great and our party of three had trouble deciding. We all loved each course and our waitress was terrific.Special Features:
- Great Italian food & servicesunnyd86Dined on 6/6/2014Finally went to Tortino after living in the neighborhood for 2.5 years, and we're questioning why we waited so long! Charming restaurant, excellent & attentive service, and the price was right for a date night. I had the crab ravioli special and my boyfriend had the steak, and we split the tiramisu for dessert.Special Features:
- Authentic Italian RestaurantSlickCantorDined on 5/31/2014Took my parents here when they were visiting the City. Was not disappointed. We had NY Strip Steak, Veal Scallopini, and Scallops as entrees with Beef Capaccio & Prosciutto di Parma with Pears & Cheese as appetizers, and ricotta cheese cake for dessert. Food was all cooked to perfection! It was a little noisy, but it didn't bother us at all, only made it a little difficult to hear/understand the waitress, but part of that was due to her thick Italian accent. Wonderful experience, will dine again.Special Features:
- Great surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/28/2014Tried Tortino for the first time. The food was good and the restaurant was nice. Definitely a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Great ItalianFoodieVIPDined on 5/25/2014As out of towners we really had no idea where to go, but found Tortino on Opentable. We were looking for a down-to-earth, good food kinda place and that's what we got at Tortino. Felt Italian when we walked in (yes the TV screen is at home in an Italian restaurant), food was great and service was perfect. Just what we were looking for. The neighborhood is a little 'rough' but worth the trip. If you can catch a taxi there its better. We walked from 8th and F ave and it took a good 20 minutes. Definitely recommend!!!Special Features:
- NYCtoChiDined on 5/21/2014The appetizers were very good, especially the scallops with lentils and the prosciutto. However, the chicken pasta dish that everyone raved about left me feeling pretty "meh." The cream sauce was essentially alfredo- I was expecting something a little lighter and maybe a bit more nuanced. However, our waiter was very attentive and friendly.
- Our FavoriteScholarVIPDined on 5/21/2014We enjoy so much about Tortino's, but what we love the most is Noé's devotion to cooking wonderful Italian food. He takes great joy in describing the homemade pasta and sauces he creates for his restaurant. This neighborhood gem is welcoming, moderately priced, and delicious.Special Features:
- Great italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/19/2014The food was excellent. We got excellent service from Anthony. However, the Maître D was very unpleasant.Special Features:
- Great ItalianajtapsDined on 5/18/2014The neighborhood is probably not the greatest -- so go with a friend -- but the food here is fabulous and worth the trip. This is one of the best Italian restaurants in DC. The Bolognese was out of this world, and portions were just right. Don't miss this very friendly, well run and mahvelous menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome mealsLivinginLititzDined on 5/16/2014We went here after college graduation with a large group. Food was amazing. 5 people got the seafood risotto special. We will be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/6/2014Food was very good. We had salads, pasta and fish. Waitstaff was very good too.Special Features: