1228 11th St NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tortinorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2023125570x
- Hours of Operation:
Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Noe Canales
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Special Events: For special events feel free to contact our general manager David A Galeas at (202) 312-5570
A word from Tortino
Executive Chef and owner Noé Canales welcomes you to experience his vision of contemporary Italian cuisine in his lovely new neighborhood restaurant designed to transport you to a trattoria in Tuscany.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Tortino - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Tortino reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (76)romantic (46)fit for foodies (45)special occasion (33)good for groups (18)notable wine list (16)great for outdoor dining (15)great for lunch (4)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (1)Show More
- kathleen Z.kathyVIPDined on 10/19/2014This restaurant was a lovely surprise. Very close to the Marriott Marquis - within safe walking distance. We had a table for five and we all had a lovely meal and evening. We would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our neighborhood favorite!NageFanDined on 10/17/2014My husband and I have been going to Tortino out since it opened three block away from us. The food is superb, and consistently a great experience.Special Features:
- TERRIFIC EVENINGOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/15/2014I had family in from California and selected Tortino from reviews that I had read on line. The food and service were both excellent...a bit better than you might expect from a "neighborhood" restaurant. Tortino is a place that I'll go back to....overall a very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive Service Delicious FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/9/2014I dined here while on a business trip to DC. It was truly a marvelous experience! I had the beef carpaccio as an appetizer, a butternut squash soup, and scallops with lentils. All were prepared and presented perfectly. The service was impeccable, also. Will definitely go again the next time I am in DC.Special Features:
- Good Italian, very poor serviceGreatDined on 10/9/2014We enjoyed our dinner though the fish did not seem to agree with my wife. Service was so slow. Apologies were offered many times to us.
- Excellent, Classic Flavorsluv2dineDined on 10/5/2014Tortino was relaxing and low-key; great for a small group or a couple that doesn't want the food or restaurant to take over the evening. The flavors were classic Italian fare, excellently executed. The risotto, at $28, was a great deal (half a lobster, mussels, calamari, and scallops).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Italian, RomanticAFN21Dined on 10/3/2014I am not a huge italian fan as I don't eat a lot of pasta. But my boyfriend and I absolutely loved this hidden gem! We started with the scallop appetizer with lentils. The scallops were delicious but wow, I could have eaten an entire bowl of those lentils! They tasted like nothing I have ever had before. My boyfriend ordered the squid ink seafood ravioli and I ordered the veal. The spinach mashed potatoes were incredible! It was a very small, white tablecloth place, which was a really nice change from all the hip restaurants we love to go to. It also wasn't as expensive as many other places around which was a bonus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valueCabotomDined on 9/25/2014The food at Tortino is outstanding. Taste, presentation, portions, choices all excel. Some of the best Italian I have ever had. The lamb shank was outstanding as was the gnocchi. Will visit whenever in Washington!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 9/25/2014I've lived down the street from Tortino for over a year and finally made my way there. We had a really nice, intimate dinner with our great server Maria who gave us really good recommendations. The bar tender came to the table and helped pick out wine. All the staff were friendly and I really enjoyed my pasta! Will be coming back!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/21/2014We choose this restaurant based on reviews and were disappointed. The food was mediocre at best. The wine was not good. Our server was very kind.
- Nice little placeEpiskyVIPDined on 9/18/2014This was our second visit. We did ask for a quiet table on the OpenTable reservation but decided (silly us) to go for the table we had before on our first visit. The restaurant does get loud quickly. The food was wonderful. The drinks were wonderful. We had a good time. The staff, though we could not really understand them very well (through the noise and one heavy accent) were very attentive. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy little gemMagicianVIPDined on 9/16/2014Tortino serves delicious food at very reasonable prices, especially for DC. The wine list is limited, but sound. My recommendation is that some sound absorbing treatment be added to the larger room. We were a group of 6 who had to speak very loudly to be heard over the two other larger tables who were enjoying all that Tortino's has to offer.Special Features:
- 2nd time here - Not as good as 1stdcfoodiesDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I came here in March and absolutely loved it. The flavors were amazing -- everything was so delicious. This time it was not as great. The hostess was very friendly, but our waitress was not particularly friendly. We were given the wrong bottle of wine (and didn't realize until it was opened); the waitress offered to resolve it and was nice about it. Our food was pretty good - I had some shell/something crunchy in my scallop, but they were cooked perfectly. The flavors were good but not amazing. The buffalo mozz ravioli was very good. It's a long trek for us to get here and it was about $120 for the two of us, so after this experience, we probably won't be back.Special Features:
- lovely timerr82Dined on 9/11/2014Our waiter was attentive, and had a great wine recommendation. The atmosphere arrives for simple elegance. No loud music, so having a conversation is simple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern ItalianCabotomDined on 9/8/2014Ortini is an excellent restaurant that has the additional benefit of being moderately priced. It was so good I attempted to return the next day, but ran out of time on my business trip to Washington. Run, don't walk to this little gem!Special Features:
- Our favorite spotLove2Eat27VIPDined on 9/6/2014Tortinos is a gem. Every time we eat there we feel well taken care if. The service is superb, especially Maria. Every pasta is delicious. We are planning to return again next weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VandjeatagainVIPDined on 9/3/2014The interior space needs a lot of work. It is flat out depressing. We sat outside--which was better--but still needed some love. That being said, the food was outstanding, the prices were fair, and our waitress was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Tuscan CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014Little known and tucked away, Tortino is was a special delight. The service was friendly, attentive, helpful and outstanding. The food was prepared with fine touches and emphasis on flavor combinations. The lamb osso bucco and seafood linguini special were out of this world. We will definitely be back to this special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/30/2014It's not in the most glamourous of locations, but it really is a perfect place for a quiet evening of delicious food!Special Features:
- Viva El Salvador!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Absolutely love this place. Been here many times. It is always at the top of my list to bring friends. The food is always carefully prepared, delicious and beautifully presented. The service is first-rate. The location, off the madness of 14th makes for a more relaxed experience. I will keep coming back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting take on ItalianEddieVIPDined on 8/29/2014The food is good but not typical flavors of Italian dishes. It's like they put a vodka sauce in the seafood risotto then cut a lobster in half and laid it on the plate. Individually good but odd as a combination. The ravioli with buffalo mozzarella were thin and missing the mozzarella and again came with an odd tomato sauce that had separated with grease visible in the sauce. But surprisingly, the flavor was good. Then the Napoleon was unlike any is ever had before. It was like unsweetened crackers (maybe flat puff pastries) with cinnamon apples sandwiched in between the cracker layers. Odd! The main disappointment was the price. Pricy for a chef that's never been to Italy and would rate high as a home chef but not professionally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TreasureBexleyVIPDined on 8/28/2014Tortino is a wonderful addition to the dining scene. I am almost worried about praising too much so that I won't be able to get a reservation. The food is great. The service is just fine. Try it--you will like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLilbitDined on 8/22/2014We were bamboozled by Yelp! This restaurant is fine, nothing special! Store bought bread put out on the table, terrible selection of beer, not worth the money.
- Excellent restaurantpiratefanDined on 8/19/2014The spinach salad was outstanding and our entrees were equally as good. The waiter was friendly without being over-bearing. The experience of dinner here was unmatched on our recent trip to DCSpecial Features:
- Surprising Find in NeighborhooddiningindcVIPDined on 8/16/2014When we arrived for our 6:45 reservation, we were promptly greeted by the hostess who showed us to a comfortably sized table. We were a little nervous since there was only one couple dining outside and one inside. But, the menu looked interesting and we stayed. Our menu choices proved to be excellent - in quality, preparation, and presentation. A great find, and already recommended to friends.Special Features:
- No ADA access but nice food winePickyeaterDined on 8/14/2014My active husband is in a wheelchair and the dining room is not accessible. They didn't tell us until a couple of hours before out reservation. We were accommodated by sitting outside, which of course work if raining, snowing etc. service and food was great but food a little pricey. Nice wine list and reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tortino's on Monday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014Food was very good overall but was a little disappointed in linguini and seafood (an evening special). Not impressed by the canolis. Both plates were bland. Loved the scallops and lentils. Very impressed when they set up a table for us outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plan to return!PsyDinerDined on 8/9/2014We had a wonderful dinner here while at a business conference in DC. The food was delicious, especially the lamb shank! The restaurant was a little bustly, so not the best if you're looking for a quiet intimate dinner, but it suited our purposes well. Our waiter was professional but not very warm - the waitress at the next table was very attentive and charming - I'd like to get her if we return! We were very happy with our meal & would love to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little spot!kbeyerVIPDined on 8/9/2014I was trying to find a new spot to have dinner with some friends from out of town, Tortino had good reviews on Open Table so I went for it and am glad I did! They have great appetizers, even better entrees and the staff is very knowledgable about the wine selection and happy to answer any questions you might have. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a not too crowded place to have a hearty Italian meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood gem!JosoVIPDined on 8/8/2014Delicious pasta, outstanding service and nice atmosphere. Would recommend for any occasion!Special Features:
- Amazing serviceSairaDined on 8/7/2014Going out to eat should be a treat. Our waiter always had a smile on his face and it was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed, but good overall.KristinDined on 7/26/2014Service was friendly. Took a risk and ordered the veal. It turned out how I had feared, tough and chewy. The agnolotti is too salty. Heirloom tomato and watermelon salad is good, so is the ravioli.Special Features:
- TortinosOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014Very nice neighborhood restaurant. Food and service was excellent. Would go back in a second. A real find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was decentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014The restaurant smelled like cat food when we walked in. The staff was friendly but our server was the bartender as well...kinda weird. We expect that in a sports bar but not a restaurant like this. So the service was rather delayed. Scallops and pasta were good. Price point was not expensive at all and food was decent for the price. I wouldn't go again and wouldn't recommend. So many other places to go in Washington DC!
- Wonderful Experiencesmm35Dined on 7/21/2014We were craving Italian, and found Tortino online. The food was amazing and service was very good. The spinach pappardelle and calabro ricotta gnocchi were both amazing. The pasta and gnocchi were homemade and were sensational. Great place for a nice dinner out.Special Features:
- ExcellentChrisMVIPDined on 7/21/2014I really enjoyed the food and the service was also great. I would definitely go back another time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/20/2014Basic resto, that has definitely had some favourable reviews. My experience was average and it is not a place I would visit again. Service was pleasant enough but more training may be needed, empty glasses, timing etc. We had the fish, rissotto, calamari, and some wine. Dine on the patio (outside).
- Great Food/Wine/DessertsWW2013Dined on 7/19/2014First time here after numerous recommendations from friends. I highly recommend it--chef is originally from El Salvador but trained in Italy. Hi italian flare shows in spades! My bf had the seafood risotto--wonderful and I had the fried squash blossoms stuffed with crab meat , on a purple basil pesto. dual chocolate cake for dessert. Wine list is not gigantic, but great options on there! Atmosphere/decor: not fancy not tacky, just right and efficient friendly servers and very nice owner.Special Features:
- Nice!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Lamb shank =awesome. That said I took my gf here for a romantic date. And it was! I'd give the place a 95%. The only issue I have is the noise level is pretty loud, and boxing was on tv. Now I've got nothing against boxing.. Just that the match and the noise level turned. 100% awesome romance date to a 95% awesome one. I will definitely go back over and over if for no other reason than the lamb shank.. Yum. I also took off some points because I put in a special note to wish us a happy anniversary and they never did.. Boo. But all the same.. A solid 95% to this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fooddxhoundDined on 7/18/2014My wife and I met an out of town friend for dinner. Was not disappointed. Each entree was excellent. Well prepared and delicious. Only down side was the ambient noise level which was a bit high for conversation. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.