1228 11th St NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tortinorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2023125570x
- Hours of Operation:
Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Noe Canales
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Special Events: For special events feel free to contact our general manager David A Galeas at (202) 312-5570
A word from Tortino
Executive Chef and owner Noé Canales welcomes you to experience his vision of contemporary Italian cuisine in his lovely new neighborhood restaurant designed to transport you to a trattoria in Tuscany.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Tortino - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Tortino reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (77)fit for foodies (49)romantic (46)special occasion (31)good for groups (19)great for outdoor dining (16)notable wine list (14)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (4)hot spot (4)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- 2nd time here - Not as good as 1stdcfoodiesDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I came here in March and absolutely loved it. The flavors were amazing -- everything was so delicious. This time it was not as great. The hostess was very friendly, but our waitress was not particularly friendly. We were given the wrong bottle of wine (and didn't realize until it was opened); the waitress offered to resolve it and was nice about it. Our food was pretty good - I had some shell/something crunchy in my scallop, but they were cooked perfectly. The flavors were good but not amazing. The buffalo mozz ravioli was very good. It's a long trek for us to get here and it was about $120 for the two of us, so after this experience, we probably won't be back.Special Features:
- lovely timerr82Dined on 9/11/2014Our waiter was attentive, and had a great wine recommendation. The atmosphere arrives for simple elegance. No loud music, so having a conversation is simple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern ItalianCabotomDined on 9/8/2014Ortini is an excellent restaurant that has the additional benefit of being moderately priced. It was so good I attempted to return the next day, but ran out of time on my business trip to Washington. Run, don't walk to this little gem!Special Features:
- Our favorite spotLove2Eat27VIPDined on 9/6/2014Tortinos is a gem. Every time we eat there we feel well taken care if. The service is superb, especially Maria. Every pasta is delicious. We are planning to return again next weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VandjeatagainVIPDined on 9/3/2014The interior space needs a lot of work. It is flat out depressing. We sat outside--which was better--but still needed some love. That being said, the food was outstanding, the prices were fair, and our waitress was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Tuscan CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014Little known and tucked away, Tortino is was a special delight. The service was friendly, attentive, helpful and outstanding. The food was prepared with fine touches and emphasis on flavor combinations. The lamb osso bucco and seafood linguini special were out of this world. We will definitely be back to this special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/30/2014It's not in the most glamourous of locations, but it really is a perfect place for a quiet evening of delicious food!Special Features:
- Viva El Salvador!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Absolutely love this place. Been here many times. It is always at the top of my list to bring friends. The food is always carefully prepared, delicious and beautifully presented. The service is first-rate. The location, off the madness of 14th makes for a more relaxed experience. I will keep coming back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting take on ItalianEddieVIPDined on 8/29/2014The food is good but not typical flavors of Italian dishes. It's like they put a vodka sauce in the seafood risotto then cut a lobster in half and laid it on the plate. Individually good but odd as a combination. The ravioli with buffalo mozzarella were thin and missing the mozzarella and again came with an odd tomato sauce that had separated with grease visible in the sauce. But surprisingly, the flavor was good. Then the Napoleon was unlike any is ever had before. It was like unsweetened crackers (maybe flat puff pastries) with cinnamon apples sandwiched in between the cracker layers. Odd! The main disappointment was the price. Pricy for a chef that's never been to Italy and would rate high as a home chef but not professionally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TreasureBexleyVIPDined on 8/28/2014Tortino is a wonderful addition to the dining scene. I am almost worried about praising too much so that I won't be able to get a reservation. The food is great. The service is just fine. Try it--you will like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLilbitDined on 8/22/2014We were bamboozled by Yelp! This restaurant is fine, nothing special! Store bought bread put out on the table, terrible selection of beer, not worth the money.
- Excellent restaurantpiratefanDined on 8/19/2014The spinach salad was outstanding and our entrees were equally as good. The waiter was friendly without being over-bearing. The experience of dinner here was unmatched on our recent trip to DCSpecial Features:
- Surprising Find in NeighborhooddiningindcVIPDined on 8/16/2014When we arrived for our 6:45 reservation, we were promptly greeted by the hostess who showed us to a comfortably sized table. We were a little nervous since there was only one couple dining outside and one inside. But, the menu looked interesting and we stayed. Our menu choices proved to be excellent - in quality, preparation, and presentation. A great find, and already recommended to friends.Special Features:
- No ADA access but nice food winePickyeaterDined on 8/14/2014My active husband is in a wheelchair and the dining room is not accessible. They didn't tell us until a couple of hours before out reservation. We were accommodated by sitting outside, which of course work if raining, snowing etc. service and food was great but food a little pricey. Nice wine list and reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tortino's on Monday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014Food was very good overall but was a little disappointed in linguini and seafood (an evening special). Not impressed by the canolis. Both plates were bland. Loved the scallops and lentils. Very impressed when they set up a table for us outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plan to return!PsyDinerDined on 8/9/2014We had a wonderful dinner here while at a business conference in DC. The food was delicious, especially the lamb shank! The restaurant was a little bustly, so not the best if you're looking for a quiet intimate dinner, but it suited our purposes well. Our waiter was professional but not very warm - the waitress at the next table was very attentive and charming - I'd like to get her if we return! We were very happy with our meal & would love to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little spot!kbeyerVIPDined on 8/9/2014I was trying to find a new spot to have dinner with some friends from out of town, Tortino had good reviews on Open Table so I went for it and am glad I did! They have great appetizers, even better entrees and the staff is very knowledgable about the wine selection and happy to answer any questions you might have. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a not too crowded place to have a hearty Italian meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood gem!JosoVIPDined on 8/8/2014Delicious pasta, outstanding service and nice atmosphere. Would recommend for any occasion!Special Features:
- Amazing serviceSairaDined on 8/7/2014Going out to eat should be a treat. Our waiter always had a smile on his face and it was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed, but good overall.KristinDined on 7/26/2014Service was friendly. Took a risk and ordered the veal. It turned out how I had feared, tough and chewy. The agnolotti is too salty. Heirloom tomato and watermelon salad is good, so is the ravioli.Special Features:
- TortinosOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014Very nice neighborhood restaurant. Food and service was excellent. Would go back in a second. A real find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was decentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014The restaurant smelled like cat food when we walked in. The staff was friendly but our server was the bartender as well...kinda weird. We expect that in a sports bar but not a restaurant like this. So the service was rather delayed. Scallops and pasta were good. Price point was not expensive at all and food was decent for the price. I wouldn't go again and wouldn't recommend. So many other places to go in Washington DC!
- Wonderful Experiencesmm35Dined on 7/21/2014We were craving Italian, and found Tortino online. The food was amazing and service was very good. The spinach pappardelle and calabro ricotta gnocchi were both amazing. The pasta and gnocchi were homemade and were sensational. Great place for a nice dinner out.Special Features:
- ExcellentChrisMVIPDined on 7/21/2014I really enjoyed the food and the service was also great. I would definitely go back another time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/20/2014Basic resto, that has definitely had some favourable reviews. My experience was average and it is not a place I would visit again. Service was pleasant enough but more training may be needed, empty glasses, timing etc. We had the fish, rissotto, calamari, and some wine. Dine on the patio (outside).
- Great Food/Wine/DessertsWW2013Dined on 7/19/2014First time here after numerous recommendations from friends. I highly recommend it--chef is originally from El Salvador but trained in Italy. Hi italian flare shows in spades! My bf had the seafood risotto--wonderful and I had the fried squash blossoms stuffed with crab meat , on a purple basil pesto. dual chocolate cake for dessert. Wine list is not gigantic, but great options on there! Atmosphere/decor: not fancy not tacky, just right and efficient friendly servers and very nice owner.Special Features:
- Nice!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Lamb shank =awesome. That said I took my gf here for a romantic date. And it was! I'd give the place a 95%. The only issue I have is the noise level is pretty loud, and boxing was on tv. Now I've got nothing against boxing.. Just that the match and the noise level turned. 100% awesome romance date to a 95% awesome one. I will definitely go back over and over if for no other reason than the lamb shank.. Yum. I also took off some points because I put in a special note to wish us a happy anniversary and they never did.. Boo. But all the same.. A solid 95% to this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fooddxhoundDined on 7/18/2014My wife and I met an out of town friend for dinner. Was not disappointed. Each entree was excellent. Well prepared and delicious. Only down side was the ambient noise level which was a bit high for conversation. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findMPFoxVIPDined on 7/12/2014The menu had a nice selection but was not extensive which I think is why everything tasted so FRESH. The service was outstanding, everyone made you feel like a regular. I will definetly go back here. The parking can be a little challenging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I could give 1/2 starsPBobbVIPDined on 7/9/2014I'd give it 4.5 instead of 4. Not the fanciest place in terms of decor but does a very good job of not being too casual. The food and service were both 4.5/5. I look forward to returning again, it was a great experience. Very much reminds me of local Italian restaurant's in the NYC area.Special Features:
- Visitors to DCBasilicataVIPDined on 7/6/2014Was on vacation in DC and happened upon Tortino's via open table. Asked the concierge about it at the Embassy suites and they had no experience with the restaurant. It was in walking distance and boy were we happy to eat at this hidden gem. The food was awesome and a family of 4 could eat off of two dishes and be comfortably full. The food was fresh, homemade and absolutely delicious. The waitress was charming and made you feel you were in italy not DC. I will definitely go back on my next visit to DC!Special Features:
- Hidden GemRobertDined on 7/5/2014The food here was outstanding. We got fried calamari as our appetizer which was a ton of food (I'd guess close to a pound of it) but was very good. I never really had calamari before but I became a fan because of this restaurant. We followed it up with the fettuccine bolognese and the seafood pasta special as our main courses. Both were very, very good. The beer and wine selection was extensive and my girlfriend became a fan of riesling wine here. The waiter we had, Jorge, was great, funny and very helpful. My only negative comment was the location of the restaurant, but the food and service largely negate this drawback. It is well worth going to for many occasions. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Wonderful italian spotASH99Dined on 6/29/2014I found this restaurant, because it was listed in the top 100 neighborhood gems for the country by OpenTable. I live 5 blocks away, and had never heard of it or seen it before. Its in the lower level of a small unassuming storefront on 11th street, easy to miss. A group of us went from the neighborhood to check it out, and were very pleasantly surprised. Once you are inside, its very nice and quiet, simple and elegant even, and a decent size space (two rooms). Service is very good, and the food is excellent - more delish gourmet cuisine, not your standard italian fare. We ordered the pappardelle, the lamb ravioli, couple of salads and tiramisu - and each dish was great. Will return again.Special Features:
- A Pleasant SurpriseJakeFoodieVIPDined on 6/27/2014I had my doubts about this restaurant, but I have to admit that I would go back. The beef strip steak was one of the best I have ever had -- excellent grilled flavor. The wine list could use some more options although price levels aren't bad.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/25/2014The pasta was outstanding. Fantastic food at a reasonable price with wonderful service.
- CJMMDined on 6/24/2014I took my mother to dinner at this restaurant and we all loved the food - absolutely delicious! Their specials turned out really well too. The service was great, but not anything notable. The place is quaint and tiny, so the decor could use a bit of modern updating and then I think the ambiance would be perfect.Special Features:
- We love Tortino!outoftenVIPDined on 6/9/2014We live in the Logan Circle neighorhood and we've been to nearly all the trendy spots on 14th Street, and Tortino is still our favorite restaurant hands down. Go and see for yourself!Special Features:
- Great italian spotEatoutDined on 6/7/2014Went here based on Yelp reviews. We had a yummy mealed, reasonably priced, terrific service. We ate at one of a few outdoor table. It's on a busy street, but it was a beautiful evening. Special spinach salad, salmon and ghnocci entrees were all terrifice. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian food gemTomTomDined on 6/7/2014Don't let lackluster exterior fool you. Restaurant has nice interior ambiance and good Italian food - good pasta, calamari and seafood risotto. Will be going back to try lamb osso buco. Service was very attentive also.Special Features:
- Great meal at neighborhood jointcsg479VIPDined on 6/7/2014Many reviews have described this as a neighborhood spot, implying that it's not worth going too far for but we were very pleasantly surprised by everything about the place. We were able to walk there from near the White House. It's not very large and the ambiance is cozy and inviting. The menu looked great and our party of three had trouble deciding. We all loved each course and our waitress was terrific.Special Features: