85 10th Avenue
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.toro-nyc.com/
- Phone: 2126912360x
- Hours of Operation:
M-W 5:30pm - 11pm
Th-Sat 5:30pm - 12am
Bar M-W 5:00pm - 1am
Bar Th-S 5:00pm - 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Ken Oringer and Jamie Bissonnette
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from TORO
Award winning authentic Barcelona-style tapas by Ken Oringer & Jamie Bissonnette in New York City's Meatpacking District.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
TORO reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (106)hot spot (105)good for groups (88)vibrant bar scene (71)special occasion (56)neighborhood gem (34)late-night find (24)notable wine list (22)romantic (21)scenic view (7)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Best new tapas joint in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014The title is bold statement given the high quality of tapas restaurants in NYC. But Toro has grown, evolved and improved in 1 short year. After savoring 8 dishes and 2 desserts, I have to say everything was spot on, successful interpretations of classic Spanish dishes. The twist on "gambas al ajillo", griddled garlic shrimp with their tails, was to bathe them in a lobster and butter sauce with a hint of cascabel chiles. "Txipirones," or baby squid with toasted bread and a farm egg, was both tender and crunchy, so tasty that I finished off the dish by soaking bread in the sauce. Service was excellent, a young staff that is friendly and helpful. Toro can be loud at peak hours, so it's not your optimal romantic destiny. So make it a fun date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tiny portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 10/18/2014too noisy, too pricey and too tiny portions. two slices of Pan y tomata, a piece of foie that was 2 bites. Food is tasty but ridiculously small portions for the price. not very authentic either.
- FantasticTerryBearVIPDined on 10/16/2014Delicious and Vibrant!......accesible and with someone to offer all palates.Special Features:
- Toro ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/15/2014Service was particularly noteworthy at Toro, but really only on the server side. Food was good with a few standout items - Iberico ham, pork belly, foie gras and cauliflower. Restaurant has an energetic buzz about it. Could see hosting a private event there. Wish that overall level of food was a touch better.Special Features:
- great food poor serviceJenniferVIPDined on 10/11/2014I was so excited to get reservations through OpenTable's hot tables at Toro. And walked away disappointed and truthfully angry. The food that we received was very good and cooked beautifully unfortunately the service was so bad it took away from the food. I've never been treated so horribly by a restaurant. No one ever introduced themselves to us as our server, we always had to flag someone down to get anything. Had to ask 4 times for cocktails that we had ordered. Nothing came out of the kitchen cohesively even though we had asked for our meat and vegetables to come out at the same. It seemed that they only wanted to take care of the large party at the chefs table. As a award winning chef's restaurant I expected more.
- Delicious!DelishDined on 10/10/2014Food was awesome. It was a busy vibrant vibe. Menu was huge and a bit overwhelming so we had our waiter pic his fav dishes. Definitely order the Soft goat cheese with tomato honey and grilled bread & the Smoked duck drumettes with apricot mustard glaze. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place-good but small tapasFruityFlowerDined on 10/10/2014Very nice place, great ambience. Tapas plates are very small, kind of expensive for what you get. Plates were served one by one - batatas bravas alone is not my favorite...my favorite plate was the goat cheese!Special Features:
- GYC09Dined on 10/4/2014Excelente restaurante, muy buena atención, y en especial su comida. Paella de langostinos...!! Uff..!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just IncredibleKCrossVIPDined on 10/1/2014The food and the service were amazing, there wasn't one dish we didn't "ooooo" and "ahhhh" over. And we tried a LOT of dishes. And the service was great. Really great suggestions and explanations of each dish. We sat at one of the preparation areas for tapas and the chefs were very friendly and open to questions. Just a great experience all around. HIGHLY recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Great anniversary dinner, awesome tapas and paella.. no disappointments!Special Features:
- Very eclectic menuTravelerVIPDined on 9/30/2014Menu shows great creativity. Kind of feel scammed when you order a tapas dish as the staff seems well trained to always push a table to order two orders instead. The food itself was fairly good but we left feeling hungry. Paella for two was very skimpy for $45!
- Vying for tapas king of NYCAmedeoVIPDined on 9/29/2014We've been on a never-ending tapas crawl since a trip to Spain two years ago. Toro has a sexy vibe to it and a really extensive, inventive menu beyond your standard patatas bravas. All the classics are there, but sea urchin & miso butter bocadillo set the tone for a tapas adventure that rivals any we've been on in NY. I strongly recommend taking a shot at the duck drumettes with apricot glaze...tender, subtle and a lot of meat on those legs. The skirt steak was cooked to perfection. Some of the classics were a bit dull and disappointing. Toro is a place to experiment. It is a great date spot, but I always prefer tapas in a group which works here because you're going to want to order at least a dozen things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AdventurousElcabraDined on 9/29/2014Impressive tapas,clean flavours,delicious We were just thinking snacks before going out, had the house wines and six selections,excelent service, left very satisfied.Favorite was the pulpo!Industrial loud atmosphere, could use some sound dampening(but I,m old)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the priceWineListDined on 9/26/2014NYC is crawling with tapas restaurants, so someone looking for authentic Barcelona-style tapas can be picky. Toro is a little different - it's grander, less kitchy, and fit for foodies looking for something a little different than the typical fare. Service was excellent, wine list was great, and the food was outstanding. It was, however, not cheap. For a special night out, Toro is a good bet.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceYorkvilleDined on 9/16/2014Took my wife here for her birthday. Were simply bowled over by the food and by the service. Will probably turn this into our go-to place for special occasions.Special Features:
- Highly recommendLindsayDined on 9/16/2014Had a wonderful experience at toro on a Tuesday night. Sat at the plancha counter and enjoyed dish after flavorful dish. Everything we enjoyed was fresh, interesting, and absolutely delicious. These guys can really cook - especially if you are an adventurous eater. I've lived in Barcelona and eaten in many tapas restaurants, and this place definitely stands out above the rest! Really just a top-notch experience between the impeccable service, incredible food, and fun atmosphere. Favorites: uni sandwich, blowfish tails, tomato salad, and the carrots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the gastronomes and the foodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014I have only been in Toro thrice but this classy restaurant always exceeded my expectations. Excellent service, vibrant ambience and the food is just exceptional! It is one of my favorite places to dine in New York City!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a great placelw5530aDined on 9/4/2014I recently dined at Toro with a friend of mine and we both had an amazing night. The ambiance is very cool, it's a pretty industrial vibe. The two of us started of with cocktails, which were both unique and delicious. Then we ordered wine and discovered that they have a great Spanish wine list. We shared several tapas, which were absolutely amazing - great flavors, great presentation. I cannot wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Restaurant is too loud to hear anything but food is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Spanish tapasRamyDined on 8/28/2014Our reservation was honored at the exact time we set it up. Great tapas, very good taste and great wine! Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously expensivemag4108VIPDined on 8/28/2014Delicious food, nicely decorated, friendly stuff, very loud though - and ways too expensive. The priciest Paella were ever had. I would go back anytime if pricing was reasonable.Special Features:
- Eat before you goLittleAppleDined on 8/28/2014The room is nice but sound is a little loud as 3 separate times silver and glassware crashed to the floor. It seemed they had the AC on in expectation but the gusts of cold air in the half filled room at 8pm made our tiny precious portions cold as soon as they hit the table. We had to ask 3 separate times to have the air turned down from full blast. The food was nice but portions were so tiny and unbalanced, we were really left unsatisfied in every way. Especially after spending several hundred dollars ?!?! We chose 11 dishes instead of the recommended 6. The olive oil cake with Tristar strawberry and hint-of-salt whipped cream was a total keeper. Eat before you go, bring a scarf, have dessert and admire the beautiful room.
- Loud and subparglglDined on 8/20/2014The music was so loud; it felt like a club and not a restaurant. Toro tries to be more experimental rather than let the ingredients speak for themselves. The tapas are overpriced for the portion that you get. The patatas bravas, one of the simplest and most common tapas, which we were served last by the way, were subpar - the romesco sauce was barely on the plate. The boquerones portion tasted very fishy, and they were served alone - something I found odd. The croquetas dish had three (makes a lot of sense for a table of two, huh?) and were very greasy. The blood sausage dish was mediocre - the texture of the al dente fava beans with the sausage was not great. The only dish that was good was the octopus. Wouldn't recommend Toro to anyone.
- Great food over an hour lateOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/19/2014The restaurant is great as far as the food, drinks and table service. The biggest issue we had was that we showed up early for our reservation and had to wait over an hour to sit. After checking in with the front 5 times over the course of the hour, they finally agreed to buy us a drink at the bar as we had been waiting for so long. Definitely try this restaurant - but not when you're really hungry!Special Features:
- great dishesProsNConsVIPDined on 8/16/2014This was our 4th visit and our 4th round of following dishes that are hard to give up: setas (wild mushrooms with poached egg), white anchovies in olive oil with drop of red pepper and bread crumbs, new dishes were gazpacho, lamb blood sausage and beans. Only issue is noise is very loud even early evening and they do not bring bread without asking, a natural desire to soak up sauces.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/16/2014Terrific food and great atmosphere. Would be a little loud for a business dinner, but fabulous for a big group or a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy!!!MarceloosaDined on 8/14/2014Good food but extremely noisy! I will not come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Viva EspañaFreshDined on 8/14/2014Innovative interpretation of Spanish classics. Beautiful restaurant. VERY loud. Next time I'd go early for tapas and drinks--when it's still easy to talk across a table--and then move on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014Loved my dinner here! Ordered (among other things) the Puplo a la plancha, the huevos diablos, setas (mushrooms with a farm egg) , and the croquettas de baccalao. Everything was outstanding! The noise level wasn't bad until around 7:30-8pm it got a bit louder, but still manageable. Definitely going back to try the rest of the menu!Special Features:
- Great Tapas PlacesfilomenaDined on 8/6/2014Went with some girlfriends. Sat by the bar before our table was ready. They have great drinks; loved the sangria selections and the cape town mule. The soft shell crab sandwiches and baby squid over farm egg are both must haves! The hamburgers were very good too. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Chic LoudHorsedocDined on 8/5/2014Really enjoyed the food, although it is very salty. Great drinks. Great atmosphere. Downtown vibrant. Not quiet. But still classy.Special Features:
- You'll want to keep coming back!!!GavChristopherVIPDined on 8/5/2014I've been to Toro twice now and each time has been fantastic! The menu has so many amazing items it will take two or three trips to try everything that looks delicious. I leave the restaurant and book another reservation immediately. Nothing has been bad and my server each time, Matt, has been knowledgable and enthusiastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Dinner Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014The food and portions are very good. We ordered the Paella (small) and the size was quite large, plus 3 other dishes recommended by our waitress which was all TOO much food. If you order a paella be careful not to over order. Very cool vibe and great ambiance for groups of friends, a fun dinner out. Suited for the younger crowed who want a great meal with some fun. However the service was not the best. They rush you quite a bit and when you ask for recommendations they rush through the menu so fast you don't even remember what they recommend. Great spot, but the service can improve. It was my boyfriends birthday that night and I could not even get a hold of the waitress outside of our table to ask for a birthday desert discretely.Special Features:
- not authenticFoodwine1202VIPDined on 8/4/2014For someone who has never experienced true spanish food, then this restaurant may be a viable option. But for a diner looking for true authentic Spanish flavors comprising of simplicity and brilliant quality of fresh ingredients, there are likely better options.
- Best TapasIrkyODined on 7/30/2014This is the best Tapas food in New York or any other since Spain. The restaurant is physically beautiful and every item on the menu is great. The service from all cannot be better. There is an exciting vibe in the restaurant starting about 8PM. Prior to that, it is very casual dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dares greatlyAlexAboutTownDined on 7/26/2014There's a lot of daring choices on the menu, and it's fun when a chef comes up with the unexpected... of course it's extra fun when the unexpected turns out delightful... at Toro that's "sometimes". The panini with sea urchin was just kind of weird and not very pleasant tasting, though interesting... the lobster in a puree of parsnip was a revelation from heaven. Try your luck. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Wonderful!WeezieVIPDined on 7/26/2014We ordered many tapas, but my favorites were the Deviled eggs with tuna belly, Croquette de Bacalao, Papatas Bravas and the Pulpo with potatoes and charred onions. The vinho verde was a good value and very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to EatToroDined on 7/26/2014We came here on a suggestion from some close friends of ours who happen to be foodies. They did not steer us wrong. The food was excellent and the service was attentive and friendly. We will definitely be coming back here.Special Features:
- Good food in great localitiesMacaronaDined on 7/24/2014The tapas was great. We were a froup of five, and picked a lot of different dishes that we shared. That worked well, we ate as they came to our table. Sometimes I thought the time between each dish was a little bit too long, but at the same time this gave us time to let the food sink and really enjoy every dish. I think the music was too loud though, it was hard to talk to each other. But the place had super cool interior!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but loudTravelerDined on 7/23/2014Lively atmosphere. Service was great all around. Food was good to great - bone marrow and octopus small plates outstanding. Very loud. Will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.