85 10th Avenue
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.toro-nyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 691-2360
- Hours of Operation:
M-W 5:30pm - 11pm
Th-Sat 5:30pm - 12am
Bar M-W 5:00pm - 1am
Bar Th-S 5:00pm - 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Ken Oringer and Jamie Bissonnette
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from TORO
Award winning authentic Barcelona-style tapas by Ken Oringer & Jamie Bissonnette in New York City's Meatpacking District.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
TORO reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (111)hot spot (100)good for groups (92)vibrant bar scene (78)special occasion (58)neighborhood gem (32)late-night find (26)romantic (23)notable wine list (20)scenic view (8)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- A little noisy.......MaryHVIPDined on 11/15/2014ask for the table in the back; you can still have a conversation and enjoy the food. Sangria was more fruit juice than anything else but still tasty with the vast assortment of flavors we ordered. Loved the goat cheese salad, eggplant, duck , sardine toast.....razorback clams were very fishy and sent them back. All in all , a good experience ............ Seated within 10 minutes of our reservation and wait staff and support was attentive without being intrusive and timed our small plates perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Toro!NikkiDined on 11/13/2014I've dined at Toro a few times and I have dreams about the Gambas and the Lobster Paella. The service is always great and the space is beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageLolitaDined on 11/13/2014We had a nice meal but the tapas were not exceptional by any means...and the paella tasted nothing like a true paella. Good place for non- foodies going out for a fun time.Special Features:
- Good ambiance but food could be betterluluDined on 11/13/2014Enjoyed the atmosphere and the drinks. Food took a very long time to be served and some dishes were better than others. Spanish is our favorite cuisine and we have had much better. Service was ok as well. I arranged with the host to have a dessert come out with a candle as a surprise given the birthday occasion and they completely forgot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy but not crazyValFromParisVIPDined on 11/12/2014Yes this place is trendy, you can clearly see it. But I'm not sure if it really deserve it. You have some nice tapas, but nothing crazy. It's packed, a lot of people and a lot of noise. We were waiting to be taken at our table for more than 10 min, just because the waitress forgot us...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!KarenVIPDined on 11/12/2014We couldn't wait to eat here. We ate at the location in Boston and couldn't stop talking about it. When we booked our trip to NY, I was excited to hear that there was also a Toro restaurant in the city. I made reservations (the NYC location accepts reservations) and counted the days. We arrived a bit early and went to the bar to have a drink. We were seated on time-at the worst possible table in the restauarnt. When asked if we could have a different table as we saw another one available. We were told that that table was for a party of 5- and we were a party of 4. After some debate we decide to take the table by the door and enjoy the food.....except the food was horrible. Tasteless, overcooked and just plain terrible. I was so disappointed, but also embarrassed as I had assured my brother this would be an amazing meal. The only positive was the wait staff, which were great. On our way out, we noticed that the other table we had requested....was sat with a party of 4. Horrible management, bad food. Way too many great restaurants in the city. Save yourself time and money and choose a different one!!!
- Too noisyWorldTableDined on 11/10/2014Food was very good, authentic Spanish tapas. Between the hard surfaces, and the loud music one goes to Toro to eat not to talk to your table companion.
- DisappointingDaggettVIPDined on 11/8/2014I have wanted to eat at Toro for awhile and was unfortunately disappointed. The serice was poor at best. It was easier to get a glass of wine at the crowded bar than it was at my seat. Food was average, salty and overpriced. Music was overbearingly loud.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014Waiter weak. Food mostly excellent. Portions too big for tapas busboy and sommelier excellent. Music too loud. Cold drafts from ceiling ventsSpecial Features:
- Torotschmitty01VIPDined on 11/6/2014Their service was amazing. The food was awesome until we got to the bone marrow. Never ever order the bone marrowSpecial Features:
- ToroHugoBossDined on 11/5/2014The entire experience was exceptional. I arrived early and spent time at the bar. The bartender was very engaging and energetic. had a great cocktail. Our table reservation was timely and from them moment we sat down, we were pampered and attended to. It was a special night out with my God-Daughter and had not seen her in 3 years. we ordered several years. We ordered several plates at our server's recommendation. Also a shared Paella. It was amazing. The staff was exceptional, food arrived in a timely fashion. we were not rushed. pleasurable on all accounts. Toro goes on my must list for each visit to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food with 'TudepenneliVIPDined on 11/1/2014Celebrated my birthday here last weekend with friends. Overall, the service was friendly, with only a hint of attitude. Loved the tapas and the paella was supreme. But I do have one BIG beef: my husband specifically called to request a nice table for our celebration. When we arrived, we were ushered to the first table next to the maitre d' stand right by the front door. It was a windy night and every time someone came in, we could feel the breeze; we asked for another table and were told we could have one in the back but we'd have to be out by 9:30! We shouldn't have to move--let the 9:30 res have the table by the door, we made our reservation a month in advance!! Poor service policy--we were made to feel unwanted. Not sure I'll return.Special Features:
- Birthday trip from OregonHonkerDined on 10/28/2014Researched restaurants - read about yours - walked The Highline and then to you. Sitting at the bar watching the cooking was tremendous! Food is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why take a reservation?FoodeatrDined on 10/25/2014Got there at 8:30pm for a 9:30pm and got sat at 11:15pm. Starving and annoyed, not a great start to a first date. Had to cancel after dinner plans. Bad experience.
- A little too loudMichele531VIPDined on 10/25/2014Food is good although portions are small, even for a tapas-type place. Very hard to have any kind of conversation, so loud you can't even hear the server. Given that, the food is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would recommend for foodfood4allDined on 10/25/2014Was not happy that we were seated at a table near serving station and rest rooms. However, this was a celebratory event. Wine suggestions were spot on, food was inventive and well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Unique and Enjoyable!LarryBDined on 10/25/2014For those familiar with TAPAS style, this will be a great choice. For those not familiar with TAPAS it will also be a great choice! Service was excellent, in fact we arrived late, and I made a point to call the restaurant to let them know we were running a little late. They said no problem, and when we walked in we got a hugh welcome and told how much they appreciated us calling to let them know. It was a Saturday evening. Food was excellent, do not miss the "Grilled corn with alioli, lime, espelette and aged cheese" , just killer!!!!! A little steep on the drink prices, but other then that really great, would recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chubiluiDined on 10/24/2014The best part was the attention given by the hostesses and our waiter. The beer selection and the wine by glass selection(at $12 and up) is poor. If you have been in Spain and have tasted tapas from various regions, like we have, these tapas were not delicious and far too expensive.Special Features:
- Best new tapas joint in NYCsmithmunizDined on 10/22/2014The title is bold statement given the high quality of tapas restaurants in NYC. But Toro has grown, evolved and improved in 1 short year. After savoring 8 dishes and 2 desserts, I have to say everything was spot on, successful interpretations of classic Spanish dishes. The twist on "gambas al ajillo", griddled garlic shrimp with their tails, was to bathe them in a lobster and butter sauce with a hint of cascabel chiles. "Txipirones," or baby squid with toasted bread and a farm egg, was both tender and crunchy, so tasty that I finished off the dish by soaking bread in the sauce. Service was excellent, a young staff that is friendly and helpful. Toro can be loud at peak hours, so it's not your optimal romantic destiny. So make it a fun date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tiny portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 10/18/2014too noisy, too pricey and too tiny portions. two slices of Pan y tomata, a piece of foie that was 2 bites. Food is tasty but ridiculously small portions for the price. not very authentic either.
- AmazingARS116VIPDined on 10/17/2014Had heard great things about TORO, but it exceeded expectations. Definitely expensive, but the food and cocktails are incredible. When visiting tapas restaurants, I'm usually skeptical of high prices due to small portions - our group of 4 ordered ~3 tapas each and we were definitely satisfied at the end of the meal. Service & decor is great, perfect for a Friday night.Special Features:
- FantasticTerryBearVIPDined on 10/16/2014Delicious and Vibrant!......accesible and with someone to offer all palates.Special Features:
- Toro ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/15/2014Service was particularly noteworthy at Toro, but really only on the server side. Food was good with a few standout items - Iberico ham, pork belly, foie gras and cauliflower. Restaurant has an energetic buzz about it. Could see hosting a private event there. Wish that overall level of food was a touch better.Special Features:
- great food poor serviceJenniferVIPDined on 10/11/2014I was so excited to get reservations through OpenTable's hot tables at Toro. And walked away disappointed and truthfully angry. The food that we received was very good and cooked beautifully unfortunately the service was so bad it took away from the food. I've never been treated so horribly by a restaurant. No one ever introduced themselves to us as our server, we always had to flag someone down to get anything. Had to ask 4 times for cocktails that we had ordered. Nothing came out of the kitchen cohesively even though we had asked for our meat and vegetables to come out at the same. It seemed that they only wanted to take care of the large party at the chefs table. As a award winning chef's restaurant I expected more.
- Delicious!DelishDined on 10/10/2014Food was awesome. It was a busy vibrant vibe. Menu was huge and a bit overwhelming so we had our waiter pic his fav dishes. Definitely order the Soft goat cheese with tomato honey and grilled bread & the Smoked duck drumettes with apricot mustard glaze. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place-good but small tapasFruityFlowerDined on 10/10/2014Very nice place, great ambience. Tapas plates are very small, kind of expensive for what you get. Plates were served one by one - batatas bravas alone is not my favorite...my favorite plate was the goat cheese!Special Features:
- GYC09Dined on 10/4/2014Excelente restaurante, muy buena atención, y en especial su comida. Paella de langostinos...!! Uff..!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just IncredibleKCrossVIPDined on 10/1/2014The food and the service were amazing, there wasn't one dish we didn't "ooooo" and "ahhhh" over. And we tried a LOT of dishes. And the service was great. Really great suggestions and explanations of each dish. We sat at one of the preparation areas for tapas and the chefs were very friendly and open to questions. Just a great experience all around. HIGHLY recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Great anniversary dinner, awesome tapas and paella.. no disappointments!Special Features:
- Very eclectic menuTravelerVIPDined on 9/30/2014Menu shows great creativity. Kind of feel scammed when you order a tapas dish as the staff seems well trained to always push a table to order two orders instead. The food itself was fairly good but we left feeling hungry. Paella for two was very skimpy for $45!
- Vying for tapas king of NYCAmedeoVIPDined on 9/29/2014We've been on a never-ending tapas crawl since a trip to Spain two years ago. Toro has a sexy vibe to it and a really extensive, inventive menu beyond your standard patatas bravas. All the classics are there, but sea urchin & miso butter bocadillo set the tone for a tapas adventure that rivals any we've been on in NY. I strongly recommend taking a shot at the duck drumettes with apricot glaze...tender, subtle and a lot of meat on those legs. The skirt steak was cooked to perfection. Some of the classics were a bit dull and disappointing. Toro is a place to experiment. It is a great date spot, but I always prefer tapas in a group which works here because you're going to want to order at least a dozen things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AdventurousElcabraDined on 9/29/2014Impressive tapas,clean flavours,delicious We were just thinking snacks before going out, had the house wines and six selections,excelent service, left very satisfied.Favorite was the pulpo!Industrial loud atmosphere, could use some sound dampening(but I,m old)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the priceWineListDined on 9/26/2014NYC is crawling with tapas restaurants, so someone looking for authentic Barcelona-style tapas can be picky. Toro is a little different - it's grander, less kitchy, and fit for foodies looking for something a little different than the typical fare. Service was excellent, wine list was great, and the food was outstanding. It was, however, not cheap. For a special night out, Toro is a good bet.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceYorkvilleDined on 9/16/2014Took my wife here for her birthday. Were simply bowled over by the food and by the service. Will probably turn this into our go-to place for special occasions.Special Features:
- Highly recommendLindsayDined on 9/16/2014Had a wonderful experience at toro on a Tuesday night. Sat at the plancha counter and enjoyed dish after flavorful dish. Everything we enjoyed was fresh, interesting, and absolutely delicious. These guys can really cook - especially if you are an adventurous eater. I've lived in Barcelona and eaten in many tapas restaurants, and this place definitely stands out above the rest! Really just a top-notch experience between the impeccable service, incredible food, and fun atmosphere. Favorites: uni sandwich, blowfish tails, tomato salad, and the carrots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the gastronomes and the foodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014I have only been in Toro thrice but this classy restaurant always exceeded my expectations. Excellent service, vibrant ambience and the food is just exceptional! It is one of my favorite places to dine in New York City!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a great placelw5530aDined on 9/4/2014I recently dined at Toro with a friend of mine and we both had an amazing night. The ambiance is very cool, it's a pretty industrial vibe. The two of us started of with cocktails, which were both unique and delicious. Then we ordered wine and discovered that they have a great Spanish wine list. We shared several tapas, which were absolutely amazing - great flavors, great presentation. I cannot wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Restaurant is too loud to hear anything but food is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Spanish tapasRamyDined on 8/28/2014Our reservation was honored at the exact time we set it up. Great tapas, very good taste and great wine! Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously expensivemag4108VIPDined on 8/28/2014Delicious food, nicely decorated, friendly stuff, very loud though - and ways too expensive. The priciest Paella were ever had. I would go back anytime if pricing was reasonable.Special Features: