1300 I Street Northwest
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/torotorodc/
- Phone: 2026829500x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Saturday – Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
LATE NIGHT DANCING
Friday - Saturday: 10:00pm - 3:00am
Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Toro Toro
Across Latin America, food is more than a meal. It's an event. It's a celebration that's shared, savored and enjoyed with the finest spirits. Discover the tantalizing cuisine of Toro Toro Pan Latin Steakhouse, brought to the Washington DC area by acclaimed Chef, Richard Sandoval. Toro Toro combines the warmth of Latin American dining with a trendy New York City-esque lounge environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Toro Toro reviews from OpenTable diners
202 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (103)good for groups (100)special occasion (80)great for brunch (66)hot spot (59)vibrant bar scene (49)romantic (48)great for outdoor dining (42)great for lunch (37)neighborhood gem (23)notable wine list (21)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (11)Show More
- A little disappointing .CandLonthetownDined on 9/12/2014It must have been an off day for the kitchen. The ham croquettes were incredibly salty! Almost inedible. The puffed pastry on the seafood arepas was hard and over cooked. The lomo saltado empanadas, chaufa rice and toro toro salad were excellent. The service and ambiance always top notch. We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicenesrobin4Dined on 9/12/2014I have visited every Richard Sandoval DC restaurant. My experience at Toro Toro lived up to my expectations. My dad and I overall enjoy the food and service. We started with the delicious smoked swordfish appetizer. We shared the tasty Truffle Fries with our entrees. My dad savored the Ahi Tuna Salad. Unfortunately I did not care for the Lobster Bisque. It was more watery than expected. None-the-less I look forward to returning and trying more food.Special Features:
- AmazingMUKIDined on 9/5/2014This place is great! I had an amazing experience here , the good was great and the service and attention to detail was phenomenal. I would recommend this place to all my friends. My favorite appetizer was the seafood arepas. Great ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDSDCDined on 9/5/2014Went once and it was great. I definitely consider going again as there were many dishes on the menu I wanted to try.Special Features:
- Hit or MissfoodistDined on 9/3/2014This was my second time at Toro Toro, The first time I had no complaints about the food, but the service lacked that time as well. The service is slow and they don't know what they are doing. This time, the food was bad as well, the leaves of the salad were wilted and brown, should have been in the trash not on someones plate. The Truffle Fries were soggy.
- Tapas tapas!katie03VIPDined on 8/30/2014Loved everything we ordered! Tried the causa toro toro, cachapas, and empanada de choclo. Then we went back for the mushroom flatbread. Beautiful plating, tasty bites and friendly servers. We will certainly be back try more. FYI -- lots of options for meat, veg, w/w out gluten, dairy/no dairy which made it easy to accommodate needs of all sorts of palates.Special Features:
- MilanoVIPDined on 8/28/2014Why are people not eating there? Ruins ambiance with no diners Hope it takes off Could be cool sceneI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place. No complaintsCKCGDined on 8/24/2014This place was incredible from tip to bottom. I have nothing bad to say about this place. The seating was great, it was a beauieday out so that just added to what was already a great experience. Servers, waiters, are the best. Punctual and sociable. Most definitely choose this place to brunch. Its worth every penny. Luis was our waiter and he was great. Didn't let Ur drink get pass halfway before he start pouring again. Very clean, respectful, and good people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week disappointmentMorning66VIPDined on 8/23/2014The point of RW is to entice new potential frequent diners to return, not mediocre samplings this menu didn't WOW me to want to return. The bay scallop ceviche, that was good, sexy, my Toro Toro salad nothing to rave about. The Churrasco steak medium was overcooked had to be sent back. The roasted chicken breast 'a la brasa' was tasty. For dessert the spiced brownie was so dry, hard and boring,we did enjoy the spiced pistachios. The panna cotta with roasted pineapple, too much gelatin, the roasted pineapple on top I ate off. Our server apologized and offrered a dessert off the a la carte menu. I ordered the Cortadito Bar which was beautiful and very delicious.The service was great, our server very attentive and that was rewarding.Special Features:
- Pretty goodNewtrack2000Dined on 8/23/2014My friend's and I had brunch here. There was a good selection of food (all you can eat) and unlimited boozy brunch drinks. Overall it was good. Not the best brunch ever but very satisfying and fun make your own bloody Mary's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaitressOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2014Service by waitress was below expectation especially since we went with the buffet. We asked for bottled water and lemon and had to remind her twice for the lemons. Her excuse was she got busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElegantDined on 8/20/2014Very interesting and unusual menu for both food and drinks. Exotic but accessibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DinnerstephersonianDined on 8/20/2014I work right around the corner from Toro Toro and was inspired to check it out by both the menu and the positive reviews. I was not disappointed, everything we ate and drank was delicious. I enjoyed a couple of happy hour cocktails. We shared small plates including ceviche, beet salad, duck carnitas, octopus, and al pastor... it was all delicious. A bit pricey but I was very pleased by the food and service. Nice happy hour, I'll be back.Special Features:
- Best brunch ever!migsDined on 8/17/2014I am obsessed! Hope they keep the quality of the food and the service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch BuffetOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014One of the best I've had! 40 bucks for bottomless mimosas AND brunch is amazing! We had 3 full plates and too many mimosas to count. It's a must come!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014Toro Toro is spacious with nice décor. Restaurant week menu was very limited.Special Features:
- Delicious!HungrybritDined on 8/16/2014A scallop ceviche that could have used a little more lime juice as the only criticism I can come up with. My hubby and I enjoyed an early sat eve dinner with the kids and loved the modern interior and very comfortable seating. Service was prompt and solicitous and the kids were well taken care of. I enjoyed the salmon with miso ginger which was cooked perfectly. Hubby chowed down on steak and was quiet chewing .. read enjoying meal. Yummy desserts , brownie and pannacpotte rounded put the meal ….. we will be back and will definitely recommend Toro Toro to friendsSpecial Features:
- DC- Hot SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/16/2014very trendy vibe and atmosphere; the drinks are so good!Special Features:
- loved it5yrsandcountingDined on 8/15/2014I work on 13th and decided to go for my 5 yr anniversary. Loved how the hostess called to make sure everything was ok when we were running late. The wine was incredible, place was gorgeous, and scallops were amazing. All of the food was delicious. Our hostess and waiter was wonderful and the manager was soo sweet. We are already planning to go back. P.S. there is a club downstairs with table service...loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveMickeyDined on 8/15/2014$9 for an 8 oz beer during happy hour? $12 for a glass of wine? Over $210 for three people who ordered the Fixe Prix $34 each off menu? NOT
- Good food service was lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/14/2014Dined for restaurant week lunch. The buffet was great. Good variety and diverse items. Service lacked. Server wasn't on top of the job. Had to request water, silverware, plates to be removed, etcI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great costumer serviceMarianaDined on 8/13/2014All the staff there is great! Plus the food is deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern Latin at it's Best!CandLonthetownDined on 8/13/2014From the Ceviche to the Miso Salmon and the Ancho Chocolate Brownie the food was a culinary treasure to be remembered. The excellent service and close proximity to the metro, make it even more worth while for a return trip. We dined early and the noise level was low.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceNYCchicaVIPDined on 8/13/2014Good was fantastic, service was great, definitely will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Executive Lunch was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014I thought the selection was amazing for the Exec Lunch. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food!DCfoodie0809Dined on 8/13/2014Brunch and lunch amazing! I must try. It won't disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and mediocre at bestgoingouthealthydcDined on 8/12/2014I went for restaurant week with a friend, and obviously they're not going to put as much effort into their menus for a cheaper dinner, but I think most restaurants would want to make their customers keep coming back for more. It was all just "okay." I had the ceviche which had an overwhelming passion fruit flavor/ not enough balance and the steak which was really just butter and meat and no other flavors. Why anyone would pay regular prices for those dishes, I do not know. The star of the show was definitely the chocolate cake with the spiced pistachios. I hear that the chicken is good though, so I clearly made the wrong choice. I was also not impressed by service. Definitely a one and done.Special Features:
- Good Food, Great ServiceHungryForFoodVIPDined on 8/11/2014I came here for restaurant week, so I did not get to experience their full menu. I will be back to do so. Arturo, our server, was attentive and informative. Steak and Salmon were delicious. I found the scallop ceviche to be bland and the desserts to only be OK. The service was truly good enough to send me back to Toro Toro. I am looking forward to trying their full menu soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week menu not greatmmchiquitaDined on 8/11/2014I loved the very cool environment and they have a great happy hour. The cocktails were fantastic (especially the margarita and the raspberry collins) and my friend had two of the HH snacks, which looked incredible and she said tasted equally so. But, when we transitioned to restaurant week dinner, I was less impressed. The first course, the scallop ceviche, was the best, but usually ceviche comes with something to eat it with, like fried yucca strips, and this did not. The steak was fatty and the veggie dish bland in course 2. As for dessert, the brownie was dry and the panna cotta was a bit rubbery. I have a feeling that their regular menu is excellent, but the restaurant week dishes weren't up to par. I'd go back for the HH though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun vibe, great food, but loudFedFoodieDined on 8/5/2014Although located in downtown DC near office buildings and away from Penn Quarter and other neighborhoods that one would associate with hot spots, this place was rocking with an international crowd of young, well-dressed drinkers and diners. Downstairs is a bar area with a few large, semi-circle couches around individual tables where large groups can lounge and drink (and shout over the noise). Looked very fun and comfy. Upstairs there is some sidewalk tables, and a bar that is again, very loud. When we headed to the table, the noise dropped off enough that we could have a conversation in a regular voice. Food was inventive and delicious with many seafood choices. Good happy hour drink specials in the bar area. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, bad serverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Brunch is a buffet with bottomless beverages. The only thing a server needs to do is refill drinks and clear plates (and I think they had bussers for that). Our server was very attentive for the first half hour and then ignored us entirely. It was not busy in the slightest, so it's not like he dissappeared or was frantically helping or customers. He was within eyeshot, but chatting with another server and ignoring our looks or gestures. We had more drink refills from the manager than we did from him. I would definitely recommend the food, especially the achiote chicken, flank steak, and ceviche. But this particular staff member needed to be more attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lounge that can cook!SWB1VIPDined on 8/1/2014Cool vibe with very good food and wonderful service and a legit wine selection. This place clicks on all cylinders.Special Features:
- Perfect place for a celebrationAlexisVIPDined on 7/30/2014We had a great time, the drinks were delicious (though a little slow), the food was better than we expected, and the service was superb. If you like Sandoval restaurants, this is definitely one to add to the list. If you just like good food, go here. The sushi on potato cake is the best tuna I've ever had. The deconstructed key lime pie is amazing but a LOT, so split it or be prepared to just keep eating beyond what you need. Definitely go here.Special Features:
- Really Mediocre for LunchOpolisVIPDined on 7/29/2014We had the $28 lunch buffet and it was truly mediocre. Basically just a bunch of uninspired salads you could get anywhere, with the addition of some hunks of grilled meat. There wasn't even very much of that, so you were paying a lot of money for nothing. The shrimp tasted old, the salad was uninspired, and the desert (chocolate cake in a mason jar) really terrible. Looks cute, but tastes like dirt. We both left it unfinished. I found the decor just weird, with the prison bars separating the stairwell and grill area, and the hostesses wearing sleazy-looking, tight, floor-length dresses. This is DC at lunchtime. What the heck? As a woman, I was just offended. Here's a tip - go elsewhere if you want the latin steakhouse experience.
- Manager is fantasticHeidi123VIPDined on 7/20/2014The manager Matt is excellent! He took care of my family and I on our trip to DC. Our server Arturo was incredibly accommodating. Their chef is creative, innovative and imaginative. We came for brunch and it was probably one of the best experiences we have ever had. We will definitely be back. Thank you Matt, Arturo and Chef Milanes for such a great time!!Special Features:
- very good value for money brunch!!!CfmjDined on 7/20/2014the mimosas, the bloody mary bar, the hot and cold buffet are exceptional value for money. service is super friendly and surprisingly non-pushy (unless it comes to mimosa-refills). the homemade bread could be better (or i just happened to get a stale piece). try to get the waffles when they are refilled. the older and cold ones dont' do them justice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, so-so Service.FrattikDined on 7/19/2014We shared 5-6 small plates and all of them were amazing. My fav's were the Tuna Ceviche and Flatbread with barbocoa but all the food was really good. Our server wasn't the best, especially for the price of everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless Brunch a SuccessgloriaDined on 7/19/2014Came to Toro Toro for brunch on a Saturday with a group of 5. Website states doors open at 1130am however actual doors opened earlier. May want to get that fixed so you can get the early birds in. The brunch was buffet style which I am usually hesitant about due to food becoming stale and no replenishment if certain dishes become empty. This was not the case here. The food was consistently well maintained. The only down side was our waiter wasn't too consistent with refilling our empty water glasses. The place was about 50% filled so it wasn't a matter of being overwhelmed with other tables. We definitely had to flag other waiters and even had to walk up to one of the guys at the hot food station to get some water poured at our table.Special Features:
- Great late night tapas/small platestm2000VIPDined on 7/18/2014Went very late on a Friday night since it was one of the few places near me with a kitchen open later in the evening and had out of town guests arriving from the airport late at night. The food was great. Had the smoked guacamole with plantain chips (excellent); Causa Toro Toro (raw tuna tartare on mashed potato rounds - which was excellent); mushroom and goat cheese flatbread which was very good); crispy shrimp (great - I would ask for large order of this and be very happy!) and the seafood arepas (topping good, but crust/bread not so great). Even though we were here very late at night after 10 p.m., the food was great as was the service.Special Features:
- Great Food *** Great AmbienceTriniSueDined on 7/17/2014I would definitely have to recommend Toro Toro. With every dish we ordered it left us wanting more. The food was DELISH. The ambience was nice.. very modern and relaxed seating. I will visit again in the near future. A must try restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.