367 Calle Tetuan
Old San Juan, PR 00901Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oofrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 7877223330
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 11:00am; Lunch Daily: 12:00pm - 5:00pm Dinner Nightly: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Guillermo Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Takeout, View, Wine
A word from Toro Salao
Toro Salao opened in 2007 a pop tribute to Puerto Ricos Spanish heritage. Chef Guillermo Gonzalez creative versions of Spanish Tapas and raciones are an extrodonary culinary journey into the zesty flavors of Spain and Puerto Rico.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Toro Salao reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (8)neighborhood gem (3)romantic (2)good for groups (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)fit for foodies (1)special occasion (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- AMAZING SERVICE AND FOOD!PRVacayDined on 10/14/2014Don't miss Toro Salao-- their food was spectacular and although it's a smaller space, they have a great outdoor seating area and a lovely room for private groups upstairs. Really nice long bar. This is part of the OOF restaurant group in Puerto Rico and the food, especially the tapas mofongo balls and coquettes, were divine. Grilled octopus ceviche also set the tone for superb sangria! Highly recommend, you wont regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uncomfortably warmTom42Dined on 8/9/2014Walking from Hotel El Convento to this restaurant, we worked up a sweat so when the host asked if we wanted to sit outdoor or indoor, we opted for indoor. Big mistake. I've never been to a hotter restaurant than Toro Salao. I don't know if the a/c system was not working properly or what. I suppose the flaming hot brick oven right across from us didn't help matters. We were literally dripping sweat. It made for a very uncomfortable dining experience. On top of that, service was weird. Initially, three different waiters approached our table to ask if we wanted something to drink. It didn't seem like they knew who was supposed to be our server. Food was okay but we just couldn't wait to get out of there.Special Features:
- Excellent SangriaNYCGrlDined on 7/6/2014Though the food left something to be desired, the white sangria was wonderful! The best dish we had was the Mahi Mahi Taco app. The flatbreads look good, but we didn't try one. The other tapas were a little too oily/fried/rich for my liking. Outdoor seating is great.Special Features:
- The following 34 reviews are from the Toro Salao reviews archive.
- Sangria -Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/26/2014Sangria was the best part. Tapas were all delicious. Prices were pretty reasonable. Wait staff was good but quickly learned that most food takes a long time to arrive in San Juan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and serviceLonnieDined on 4/26/2014Of all the places we are at in our 7 days in San Juan, this was the best. The food was great and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ask your hotel staff for betterVB4GOODFOODDined on 3/22/2014Despite a great location and promising reviews elsewhere, this is just a tourist trap restaurant. The shameful execution of Paella proves it...all the plain water boiled, flavorless parts are merely assembled in a plate before serving...and this suppose to be a Spanish restaurant? Applebee's would do a better rendition. Some of the tapas is delicious; some mediocre; all overpriced. The one saving grace: the sangria is great.Special Features:
- Nice outdoor rest. at Old San JuanOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/15/2014The only disappointing thing was that although we had a reservation, needed to wait around 15 minutes to be sited. Other than that, everything was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very yummy!!LillyDined on 2/14/2014The service is a bit slow. But food was excellent. The stake and mahi tacos very yummy. Would definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh food, poor servicekjninamherstVIPDined on 2/4/2014This place has a nice location in old San Juan. Outside sidewalk tables. BUT, no one greats you, no one even new what a reservation was. When our server finally greater us, she hadn't a clue on waiting tables. Never brought our drinks, food was worse than a bad chain joint. I do not recommend.Special Features:
- Consistently Very GoodDisappointingVIPDined on 2/1/2014Have never been disappointed. Outstanding tapas menu. Would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Outdoor dining in Old San JuanHealthspeakerVIPDined on 1/22/2014Great place for a casual meal of small plates and sangria. Excellent in particular for a group. All plates were very nice.. This place was suggested as "authentic tapas) and while some were, others (mahi tacos?) were not but none-the-less very tasty. Friendly service. The flatbread with artichokes, arugula, and goat cheese- well, think I will dream about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!RobinVIPDined on 12/31/2013The sangria was fabulous, the food was great and the service was wonderful.Special Features:
- Fantastic SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2013Great restaurant. Found a last minute reservation for here for new years eve. Great outdoor seating right in the heart of Old San Jaun. Fantastic sangria, pallella, and other tapas. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Outdoor spotMaracaiboDined on 12/27/2013Food was just okay, service was very slow but outdoor seating was good people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A rough weekend?DCAfoodieVIPDined on 11/9/2013We were looking forward to our visit to Toro Salao, given all the positive reviews we had read - but, apparently, we visited on the wrong night. We tried to order the flatbread, only to find out that the restaurant did not have any dough on-hand that day. The patatas bravas? Same deal - the potatoes weren't delivered. The waiter just shrugged and said, "It's been a rough weekend." I don't understand how a restaurant can be so poorly supplied for a Saturday night in one of the busiest parts of OSJ - so call ahead if you have your heart set in something on the menu, to make sure you're not disappointed. On the up-side, the live music that night was great, nice vibe.
- Food was very good.. we enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/10/2013Food was very good.. we enjoyed our dinner.. especially the rice dish and salmon. The only comment for improvement would be that it took awhile to get our check. Our kids were really tired and we were anxious to get them to bed.. we had to wait a significant amount of time before we got the check even though we had told the waitress that we were through with our meal.Special Features:
- Live music. We were goingJreyVIPDined on 3/30/2013Live music. We were going to Marmalade but the people there were not nice. Ok food. The service was awesome.Special Features:
- Impossible to have a conversationBayoanDined on 2/14/2013Impossible to have a conversation while live music is playing inside the restaurant.Special Features:
- Try the brie stuffed withTNPrincessVIPDined on 2/6/2013Try the brie stuffed with goat cheese. Fantastic combination. Also really enjoyed my sea bassSpecial Features:
- Nice place for a casual meal.TruBlu2Dined on 1/23/2013Nice place for a casual meal. I recommend the "Summerthyme" martini!
- A relaxing meal...MikeandLoVIPDined on 1/15/2013This our first stop for food after landing in PR. The food and service was good. We eat in the outdoor cafe area and it was very charming. They are located in Old San Juan and it is a great place to eat and people watch. They offer good local fare and some creative takes on Caribbean cuisine.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/3/2013This was my first trip to San Juan and this was a great find. The food was excellent - especially the Tapas. Great environment for people watching if you decide to sit outside (or can get a table out there). However, what truly made the experience the absolute best was the service - Andrea is Amazing! So amazing, we decided to go back two days later and requested her again. She made the dining experience surpass Excellent to Outstanding!Special Features:
- Fun and lively restaurant-barOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2012Fun and lively restaurant-bar with tapas-style food and fun cocktails.Special Features:
- Long wait overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012So I booked for two at 7:45 and managed to show up two minutes early, obviously hoping to sit. I was quickly seen which was nice but then forgot about for five minutes. Apparently because it had been raining and not all the tables are adequately covered they could not honor their commitment... I suppose that's understandable but it's quite easy to invest in some umbrellas or simply let customers know that they may have to wait in case of rain. After this unpleasantness we were told to wait at the bar until our table was ready. After another fifteen minutes with no info we asked what the wait time was and were again told to wait. Sooooo we had to eat at the bar where two of our tapas weren't available and the other two too salty..
- I went to Toro Salao for myDonWDined on 12/27/2012I went to Toro Salao for my wedding anniversary. Little did I know that because it was the holidays there would be a lot of music around the area. When I got to the restaurant I was asked if I was there to see the band play. There was a good deal of people waiting to listen to a local group play with traditional Puerto Rican instruments. My wife and I sat down and started ordering when the music started. It got loud, but the music was really good and entertaining. Even the waiters participated in dance for a minute along with the music. The food was phenomenal! A wide array of flavor that won't disappoint. We had sangria with our food, which was good, not great. The place is a bit small, but worth trying.Special Features:
- This is one of the reasonsSeanVIPDined on 12/21/2012This is one of the reasons we can't wait to come back to Puerto Rico!Special Features:
- I recommend this please itsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/30/2012I recommend this please its awesome, service was great!Special Features:
- NOTE! They do not do brunchChrisinhoustonVIPDined on 6/2/2012NOTE! They do not do brunch on the weekends even though you can make a reservation for it at OT. This is what I did and showed up at 10AM on a Saturday only to speak to a man in the kitchen who said it had been a long time since they had served breakfast. I am giving the food rating a Good based on what is on the menu which all sounds very good and also because I have eaten at several other restaurants in SJ owned by Oof, Inc. the parent company and they were all very good. However they get poor on Service and Ambiance based on not being able to dine. And it was very quiet inside, heck the bar stools and chairs were still up on the bar and tables! Try it later in the day but don't bother with brunch!
- Excellent convenient location,CALMVIPDined on 5/8/2012Excellent convenient location, good food ok service, the place can get a little loud.Special Features:
- Very average and salty food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/27/2012Very average and salty food. Few authentic flavors. Would not go back. It is nice to sit outside and have some sangria.Special Features:
- My only problem was out tableBruceNYCVIPDined on 1/18/2012My only problem was out table was next to the kitchen and someone in the kitchen was smoking.Special Features:
- Tapas selection were nearlycheruVIPDined on 10/31/2011Tapas selection were nearly all fried, holdovers from the early 90's North American-style. Wine list was fair. Catered to the tourist crowd and people in their 20's-30's. Just not our style.
- The sangria is amazing. ThereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2011The sangria is amazing. There are several other items on the menu that were also very good such as the goat cheese appetizer. The sea bass was also very good.Special Features:
- Amazing food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/7/2011Amazing food and service! We ordered three rounds of the Churrasco and still couldn't get enough. All the tapas were delicious and of high quality; presentation was fantastic. Came here with 16 guests the night before my wedding and couldn't have asked for anything better than what Toro delivered.Special Features:
- I will reconsidered another optionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/4/2011When we arrived the hosts greet us and try to sit us in the middle of the salon which we asked for a corner, quite and private when asked she said that the corners where the same as the middle table with all the traffic, it felt that we needed to argued to be pleased when she realized we were going for the corner she just gave us the menus and left without saying a word, it took more than 15 minutes for this waitress to stop by and asked us if someone has helping us when we said that just the hosts she acted surprise and immediately asked if we wanted anything after that everything was smoothly and the waitress certainly saved the night that I had plan for me and my husband.Special Features:
- So so Spanish food Nice people GoOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/20/2011So so Spanish food Nice people Good old town location
- A real find in Old San Juan.ElceeDined on 2/12/2011A real find in Old San Juan. The food is wonderfully presented and delicious, and the Sangria is marvelous.Special Features: