201 E. 9 Mile Rd.
Ferndale, MI 48220Neighborhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.torinoferndale.com/
- Phone: 2482471370x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, French / Japanese
- Executive Chef: Garrett Lipar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from TORINO
Prix fixe 9 course chef's tasting menu, changing monthly. Seasonally focused cuisine. Handcrafted cocktails, unique wine list, and craft beer.Continued
Please call if you have trouble booking with Opentable, we may have private rooms or bar seating available by phone only.
Please call if you have trouble booking with Opentable, we may have private rooms or bar seating available by phone only.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
TORINO - Best Restaurants in Ferndale ›
TORINO reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (43)special occasion (37)notable wine list (20)romantic (20)neighborhood gem (20)hot spot (8)good for groups (4)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Incredible Tasting Menugalt1226Dined on 9/23/2014Tasting menus have really become more popular in the last few years, and the menu that Torino has put together is exceptional. We had a nine course meal complete with wine pairing and a cocktail. It's not cheap, but it's delicious and the money was well spent. Of the nine courses Garret and his team put together, only one failed to really knock our socks off. The wine pairing that Ian put together was spot on. In fact, it was honestly one of the best pairings I've had. All in all, this is a fantastic restaurant that I would choose for anyone who is into food, wine and cocktails. I think it would just as well for a romantic evening as a business dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We thoroughly enjoyed!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Mind you, this restaurant was voted best of Detroit in 2014, so we came with expectations! The Torino chef, staff, and bartender did not disappoint. The food was perfectly prepared, gorgeously presented and had unique favor combinations that truly complemented each other. If you want the pacing of the tastings to slow or pause, the staff accommodates your every wish. We will select the wine pairings next time, as I'm sure the experience will be even more explosive to the senses. Roger's Sensible Shrubbery cocktail was delicious and one of a kind, though, and we would stop in just for this drink!Special Features:
- Felt bamboozled a bitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014There is an upgraded wine pairing that is three times the amount that I was under the impression that I was offerering to my guests! Beware of the up sell!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoughts on TorinoMickeyDined on 9/11/2014Thought the tables were odd, most two seaters you had to sit next to your guest fine for a date otherwise odd. I thought that having only an eight course option was very limiting and expensive, $89.00. If you wanted a drink at the bar and a snack did not appear to be a choice. Food was very good but the restaurant will not have diners that go regularly at that price, will be a special occasion place and they don't always last long. It won't be a hangout in Ferndale.Special Features:
- As foodies we were disappointednotuptoparDined on 9/6/2014We came to Torino with great expectations. We had been to Moto in Chicago and thought the tasting menu would be a similar experience. We chose to go with the top end experience and have the wine pairing with our 9 course tasting menu. The service was quite nice and we felt that we were being well taken care of, unfortunately, we were terribly disappointed by the food. The presentation was nice but the taste each of the items was across the board unimpressive. Either the mix of tastes were confused, some plates had very sweet items mixed with savory items, some were bland, others just not tasty. We were very disappointed. It was our anniversary, we had high expectations, we were terribly disappointed...Special Features:
- Quite a dining experienceTorofoodiesDined on 9/4/2014I was very excited to go here, and my expectations were high! They didn't disappoint. We enjoyed a drink at the bar prior to being seated, enjoying a great conversation with the bartender about the history and philosophy of the restaurant. Once seated for dinner we enjoyed a truly outstanding dining experience, with amazing tastes. Loved this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tinthedDined on 8/28/2014Outstanding food and service. This was my second time and every dish was fantastic.Special Features:
- foodaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/20/2014Excellent choices in terms of ingredients put together with flavorful sauces that ripe with complexity. Perhaps a bit pricey but still worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014My husband and I have had the luxury of eating at many fine establishments within the U.S. and Europe and this is probably one of the best meals we have ever had. It blew our minds that such a gem was within our local area. The food was not only delicious, but intriguing and beautifully prepared. This was an anniversary dinner that we will never forget!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time and just as good as 1stRyanSquaredVIPDined on 8/6/2014This was our second experience at Torino. Both were amazing and worth every penny! The staff is attentive and very knowledgable. The food is beyond great and the overall experience is just that;... An EXPERIENCE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opentabledinerDined on 8/1/2014At Torino, it is all about the food. Spectacular craftsmanship, each course is like a work of art. And while there is a heavy emphasis on unusual ingredients and preparation techniques (think lots of infusions, foams, and "essences"), the food tastes excellent too. The one downside: the atmosphere doesn't match the food. The seating is a bit uncomfortable and awkward L-style shape, and the building is very bare-bones. For this price-point, you expect something special about the surroundings too.Special Features:
- Creative Cuisinediner1Dined on 7/30/2014As creative as you get, with outstanding pairings. Glad we have a place like this in the area.Special Features:
- Refined diningMightyDined on 7/23/2014If you want farm to table with edible flower and sous vide style cooking, this is your place to go. Chef Garrett proves why Torino is restaurant of the year! This is my 2nd visit and I can't say the food was any better or worse the 2nd time around. From Ian the sommelier/drink specialist to the waiters/waitresses, the presentation of each food and drink was on point. The creativity was spectacular as your taste buds would hit fruity notes in one dish and savory & salty in another! I had a pen to make notes on certain dishes and boy am I. Will I add gooseberries to my dishes or quenelle my ice cream? Probably not, but that's why I leave such fine dining to chef's like Chef Garrett. You truly won't be disappointed if you come open mindedSpecial Features:
- Good ingredients/poor executionmdmdVIPDined on 7/19/2014They have the right idea, and use good ingredients, but the execution is terrible. The meat was oversalted. All of the dishes were very acidic- there was little balance. Very nice staff and attentive service, but the execution and attention to detail in the dishes needs to be tightened up if Torino is going to go the tasting menu route. I was pretty disappointed for the money spent.
- Amazing. Amazing. Amazing.DetroitdinersDined on 7/19/2014The food was amazing. It got better and better with each course. The wine pairing was amazing. The wines were perfectly paired and brought out the amazing flavours of each dish. And the service was amazing. All of the staff were knowledgable about the menu and truly seemed to care. We cannot wait till we return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but lacking ambiance12345Dined on 7/17/2014The tasting menu is a great concept, and the food was wonderful, but it took us over 10 mins. to get our first drink order. It would have been nice if they waited to bring our first course out after the drinks were served; most people prefer something a bit more flavorful than water with dinner. This is most likely because the bartender was paying a lot more attention to the cackling (unattractive, sorry) women at the bar - people go here for thoughtful dining experiences, they should not have a "bar crowd" there - especially when dinner is $89 for food only, THEN wine and drinks in addition (moderately/fairly priced for bottles of wine, expensive for mixed drinks). Seating was not very comfortable. Our server was prompt and attentive.Special Features:
- Fabulous Findtablefor6Dined on 7/12/2014We loved the meal and the ambience of Torino's. This was our second dining experience there and on this visit we ate in the larger room with two other couples. It was great!! We could not ask for a better experience.Special Features:
- goodeaterDined on 7/11/2014When I called before my reservation, they told me that I could bring my own wine & that the corkage fee was $50. Upon my arrival, they said that they did not allow people to bring their own wine. The chef is amazing, talented, and makes fabulous food. However, the Torino wine list leaves much to be desired.Special Features:
- Great Fine Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014Wonderful food and wine pairing menu. We especially loved the vegetable and fish courses. Service was friendly, efficient, and attentive. We have dined at many restaurants in New York and other places around the world and the food was right up there with some of the best. Congratulations to the fine team at Torino!Special Features:
- Torino for 2OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014From the moment we walked in every thing was first rate. We ordered a couple of cocktails which were totally different then anything we had before anywhere. Then the plates started coming, each one was better then the next. The service was great, plates and silverware were changed after each course. We thought we would not be full after we finish we were.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, rushed experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014The food tasting experience is amazing, but after, you will want to go somewhere for dinner. The service is to perfection, but works really hard to rush you out the door. The food and beverage pairing is amazing and worth the try. Overall a marvelous experience, except for feeling really rushed and somewhat still hungry when all was said and done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodies must try!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014Your dinner is a story. I love that each course is introduced by the wait staff. Fresh, Beautiful presentation, and cooked with unconventional. methods. All foodies must try.Special Features:
- AmazingkitkaterooDined on 6/27/2014Everything about Torino was amazing. We chose the wine pairing with the food and the whole experience was awesome. They also easily accommodated our gluten free request. Great restaurant!Special Features:
- JC13Dined on 6/13/2014We had been wanting to eat at Torino for a long time. As it happened the nine course meal began the month of June. We went on a Friday evening at 6 pm. We let them know ahead of time about some food allergies and none appeared on the menu. We opted for the wine tasting and experienced almost all new wines to us. Food was sometimes playful looking and other times very elegant and/or pretty. We enjoyed all but one dish as neither of us like venison or mushrooms. They both happened to be in the same course. Would go back.Special Features:
- Gr8FoodDined on 6/10/2014What dining out should be. Each dish has its own flavor, texture, and character without being overly complicated. Tasted items I would not normally order and now would if they appeared on a menu. Tasting menu offers the best of ingredients and chef's skill. And a very attentive staff. The evening, pleasurable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 141 reviews are from the TORINO reviews archive.
- Unique but not enoughOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/31/2014Presentation of food was spectacular and service, but the amount of food was sparse.Special Features:
- PhD in flavor alchemyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2014Delicious! I would recommend the wine pairing. Thoughtfully chosen to bring out the unique flavors of each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most Creative Food in Michigan!weirDined on 5/27/2014Outstanding pairing of wines with each course - small plates give you a wonderful taste experience without overloading you - wish the restaurant was in a more scenic settingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in towntutinho88Dined on 5/23/2014Creative, well executed. Great food and drinks in general. A must in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingly creativeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2014The chef's tasting menu is a breath of fresh air and so creative!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastronomic flavor explorationGarlicaDined on 5/10/2014You shouldn't expect to feel stuffed when dining at Torino. You go to Torino to taste bursts of interesting fresh flavor combinations in your mouth. You're not chowing down, you're tasting. It's a treat for your taste buds! We left Torino and headed straight away to "como's" for pizza. Our 18 yr old son(hallow leg)was still very hungry, however, he wanted to know when we could go back to Torino! Both kids LOVED it. New family favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice with space for improvement.JuveDined on 5/9/2014This restaurant tries to recreate a closed menu experience typically founded in Top Restaurants recommended by "Guide Michelin", but there are some improvements that need to be done. I had the opportunity of experimenting some of this closed 5 courses menus experiences in several recommended "Guide Michelin" restaurants, but probably this was the smallest portion that I have experiment, and some of the courses where to Basic for a closed menu chef experience, but for the price we payed wasn't so bad. The Menu changes every week, so I recommend to give a try along with the wine suggestion and enjoy the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding meal and service!ChrisDDined on 5/8/2014I cannot say enough good things about Torino. Each course is a work of art. Your tongue is alive with the flavors. The imagination that goes into the selection and presentation of each dish amazes me. I would love to be in one of their menu planning meetings for the week to come. It would be so interesting to hear how they come up with their creations. If you are a foodie at all, you will love this place!Special Features:
- Perfect!!WendyDined on 5/7/2014The whole dining experience was perfect - food was original, delicious, plentiful and fun. The waitstaff were energetic and knowledgable. The actual dining area was intimate and warm. Definitely a place that we will return toSpecial Features:
- An Amazing Gastro ExperienceDCfoodieDined on 5/7/2014Trorino is an amazing restaurant - one of the best gastronomic experiences in the state. It's unique take on food will leave you dazed. As with most tasting menus, the portions are small and leave you wanting more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative!Laura5568Dined on 5/6/2014Torino won restaurant of the year for reason. Their food is creative, delicious and carefully presented. Definitely worth a trip to Ferndale.Special Features:
- Entertainment alla FoodTastewellDined on 5/2/2014Going here, you are not merely feeding your belly; You are feeding your soul. Perhaps that was a bit hyperbolic, but this is not just like eating at any ordinary restaurant, be it a five-star establishment. Think of it more and as such as to be entertainment for your senses of smell and taste. Each course is proportionally built up with the next, and given ample time to appreciate. With the menu changing weekly, it is not of much use to elaborate on the particular food itself, but to give complete trust to the chef and his creations. Wine pairings, especially for the final courses, send things over the top, and for a pair of intimate diners, I would recommend at least one be ordered. -Dr. Hannibal Lecter P.S.Cocktails were also exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising findGeoffNVIPDined on 4/29/2014Fantastic, imaginative food. Tasting menu is reasonable and innovative.Special Features:
- Left hungryJgb8080VIPDined on 4/25/2014We were excited to go to toreno we had a good experience before left a little hungry that time but enjoyed the creative food. shockingly the portions were even smaller this time. We are all thin people who eat out often and have never been served so little food. It is arrogant of the chef to think this is acceptable or sustainable. We ordered 2 pizzas while still at the dinner table to meet us at home because we were starving. That's just wrong after paying 300 for dinner. This place won't be around much longer if they don't change their ways.
- Nice experienceTkloganDined on 4/18/2014Torino is a great change of pace dining experience. Loved the opportunity to dine on the unique foods and preparations . My wife and I enjoyed it and highly recommend it if you are a little adventurous with your palateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.