1921 W. Dimond Blvd
Anchorage, AK 99515Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.torchonbistro.com/
- Phone: 9075638888
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary French / American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Shana
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for more information on catering options.
A word from Torchon Bistro
Torchon Bistro; featuring community forward faire; sourcing our proteins and produce locally, where and when possible. Bridging the ‘Farm to Fork’ experience in a casual fine dining setting. Satisfy your appetite and pique your curiosity with house-made Charcuterie, Steaks and Seafood with an upscale nuance. Local and Import Craft Beers and an Exquisite Selection of Wines from Around the World. Prix Fixe menus ran weekly and beer and wine events held monthly.Coming Soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Torchon Bistro - Best Restaurants in Anchorage ›
Torchon Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (51)special occasion (37)neighborhood gem (26)romantic (23)notable wine list (14)great for brunch (13)hot spot (9)good for groups (8)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Food4lifeDined on 10/17/2014Loved everything! Food was delicious, service was perfect. The only suggestion I have is to dim the lights a bit. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood Gem without a HoodBullwinkleDined on 10/16/2014This is the kind of restaurant you would find tucked around the corner of your house in Portland, Maine, or just up the hill in Cambridge Massachusetts, or a few minutes walk in Madrid. But this is Anchorage, so it is another great restaurant tucked in a non-descript strip mall that is only accessible by automobile. That being said, the owner of has done wonders separating the outside world from the space within. Once we walked into the bistro, there was an air of familiarity. It took a while to place it, but I now realize the atmosphere was very much like the small places we have enjoyed in France and Spain. The people who work there are not employees, they are family, and they treated us like a family guest. And the food is wonderful.Special Features:
- Hidden GemLovingAlaskaEateriesDined on 10/12/2014We went there for a late Sunday breakfast, only 4 other tables so not packed and no dreaded wait. Service was outstanding and the food was fresh & delicious and of generous portion. Will go back to try the diner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friendly, and deliciousDadHusbandDoodAndFoodDined on 10/11/2014An anniversary dinner success! Very informative and helpful staff, right sized menu with gourmet options to choose unique dishes or something less risky, with servers to educate you on what's special about each dish. The special moments are for meat foodies who love pork and pork pairings. I scored the pork chop after the pork taster and was blown away by both. Classic anchorage setting: tastefully renovated strip mall, much like other fine restaurants in town on the outside but comfortable, well lit, clean and attractive inside. Dropped some dollars but worth every penny. Certain to return with wife for special evenings. Don't think kids would appreciate the finer points of the meal enough yet...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in AnchorageFansFromAlaskaVIPDined on 10/4/2014This neighborhood gem is by far the best restaurant for foodies in Anchorage right now. I will return often and recommend to everyone I know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delicious meal - we'll be back.ZZZZDined on 10/4/2014Had a great time and meal with friends for a birthday celebration. The food was delicious and presented well, the service was very attentive, the ambiance reserved but pleasant. I have no complaints and neither will you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, not so great location.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014Torchon Bistro is off to a good start.. The tasting plate is really good and a nice change for ANC, I had the chop and it was cooked to perfection my companion had the lamb and it was cooked perfectly as well. Overall a very good dining experience, hope the location doesnt hurt them.Special Features:
- SacksDined on 9/30/2014The food was ok, small presentation. Rib steak was best on menu. rice was almost cold when served with lamb chop. Pork chop was overdone.
- Great new placeBlondesDined on 9/26/2014What a fun little spot! The chef is incredibly talented. She has vision, a sense of adventure, and pedigree. The menu is swine heavy so be ready for that. We were at a loss to choose our course so we placed ourselves in Chefs hands, and were richly rewarded. There is a nice selection of beer and wine. We began with a sampler: an assortment of small delishisnesses that were at first, easy to share, but the complex aromas and new flavors tended to create a breakdown in character and there was some hoarding. A small salad, Caesar with enough garlic to please an IPA drinking Alaskan, and a powerful blue cheese. We ate elk. We ate artisan(who knew this was a thing?) hog chosen for its genetically superior marbling. We ate mustard ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighorhood restauranttugboatanneDined on 9/25/2014This was our first visit to this new neighborhood restaurant. We were welcomed from first entering. Not a huge menu, but definitely intrigued to come back and try the fried chicken. Our food was beautifully presented and deliciously prepared. We had the rid eye steak and home grown pork chop. The service was great; our waiter was knowledgeable and well versed about the menu. Our dessert of mustard seed brittle and ice cream is a must have again.Special Features:
- Gramma6Dined on 9/23/2014Very nice food enhanced by pleasant surroundings and impeccable service. Beautiful presentation as well, but what makes it French?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In-house cured porkjfentonDined on 9/20/2014This is the place for foodies wanting to try something outside the box. Specializing in farm-to-fork with in-house cured pork and NW grass-fed beef. The ribeye melted in my mouth. Numerous items in the starters list to get your appetite going without filling you up. Excellent service. Wouldn't want to bring children for dinner, but brunch could be a more family atmosphere.Special Features:
- Yum!AKDinerDined on 9/19/2014Very delicious! Menu all looked good and my rack of lamb was superb. Go try this new restaurant---you won't be sorry. And do try the Tourchon Taster. Samples of oh-so tasty morsels!Special Features:
- FirstsEaterDined on 9/9/2014The level of cuisine was wasted on us. Our palettes are perhaps to amateur for this fine establishment. We need to revisit again when we can focus on the good rather than eachother (first date)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful addition to Anchoragefrqttrvlr09Dined on 9/3/2014A friend and I had dinner at Tourchon Bistro last week.That night they were also offering a fixe price many course menu inspired by Hester Blumenthal's London restaurant The Fat Duck which could be ordered paired or unpaired. I reluctantly decided to not order it because a large group was a present celebrating something and they had ordered the tasting menu so I feared a 2 plus hour experience might go on for 3-4 hrs & I was hungry.I ordered the ceviche and the Tourchon tasting menu and both were delicious.My dinner companion had the elk loins.The waiter and other service was very professional and knowledgeable about the dishes and how they were prepared.The small dessert menu had sweet choices.The coffee was delicious.Wine choices goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!AlaskaSueVIPDined on 8/22/2014Torchon Bistro is pretty new to Anchorage and we found it to be a great new place...the service is outstanding but the food is what keeps us coming back. The menu options are limited, much like you would expect for a small place like this, but what is offered is done extremely well. The 'Taste' platter has a lot of fun and interesting pork tidbits done various ways and is delicious, the chicken is done to a turn and has a lovely aroma and flavor - we enjoyed the slaw-filled waffle cone that came with it as well. Looking forward to trying more on their menu and hope this gem stays for many years. Heard they will be opening a wine bar soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoxiesoxieDined on 8/14/2014Beautifully presented meal. Enjoyed every interesting bite. Who knew pork could taste so good??! Service was exceptional - I dined alone and was perfectly comfortable throughout the meal.Special Features:
- New Restaurant in Town!DivaDined on 8/14/2014Limited menu. Wine list short, unknown wines, and very spendy. Food was not bad-- a little spendy and the sides were not particularly great. I had the Elk Loin Chop and it was delicious. The accompanying succotash was not. The salad was extra. We shared appetizers and frankly, they were petite to say the least. The staff split the meal as two of us shared and the amount was more than fine for two people. The service was unobtrusive and very responsive to our requests. We were a party of six. I'm unsure whether I would go back.
- Excellent first visitBooflawkrDined on 8/9/2014Small but not cramped the restaurant has taken over a different restaurant's space but not yet fully made it look like it was all its own. But the service and food got rid of that sense. It's sampler plate of different pork preparations was among the most enjoyable appetizers I have had. They have a varied main dishes that included a vegetarian selection and some unusual meats and preparation choices. My meat was perfectly prepared and served with a wonderfully tasty corn relish that worked perfectly? The chef is obviously talented. This is a good addition to Anchorage offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hottest new restaurant in AnchoragealaskafoodieDined on 8/5/2014My husband & I have eaten here 3 times: once for dinner, once for brunch, & once for a vegetarian prix fixe book club meal (book was a gorgeous cookbook, Vegetable Literacy). Every dish in every meal is sublime! I could go on & on, but really, just come & experience chef Shaina's culinary magic yourself! I promise you won't be be disappointed. You will be so enthused that you'll want to spread the word to make sure this extraordinary gem of a restaurant stays open. The service is attentive & knowledgeable. The ambience is subdued, with white tablecloths & nice art on the walls. It's tucked into a strip mall - where you would never expect to find such a hidden jewel. Oh, and did I mention if you like pork, any way, this place is for you!:-)Special Features:
- Great ExperienceJohnnyVIPDined on 8/1/2014This is a great restaurant!! Food is exceptionally prepared and fresh. Get a reservation, once word is out this place will be tough to get into. Booked brunch reservation for this restaurant after eating the first bite of food.Special Features:
- Brilliant french diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014The food here was unlike anything I've tasted in Anchorage. Absolutely amazing, and the only restaurant in town that can give Club Paris a run for its money when it comes to steak. The wine I had (a Bordeaux) was impeccable. Our server was incredibly helpful, as I and my date did not understand some menu items, so do not worry if you don't know exactly what something is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2014Delicious brunch with a friend. Looks like it would be a good date night dinner. No kids...white tablecloths. But this is Alaska I'm sure y'all don't follow that etiquette. Moscato d'asti is amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak was ok but the fried chickenMatvalleyboy1Dined on 7/26/2014I had their ribeye and it was good but nothing that stands out from other steaks here in Anchorage. However, I also had their fried chicken and I have to say that it was the best fried chicken I've had here. They brined their chicken before hand so the meat was succulent and flavorful, and the beading was crispy and not doughy at all.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/26/2014Torchon Bistro is a fairly new restaurant. My wife and I went for our first time. The menu is a bit pricey for its location. My wife ordered the vegetable plate for $25 and was very disappointed. Her order had three asparagus spears, two baby tomatoes, and rice. Everything was very plain with no taste. I ordered the stuffed pork chop for $34. It was very good but I feel it was over priced. My wife and I would much rather dine downtown for the same money with better food.
- DeliciousCGuernseyDined on 7/26/2014Hands down one of the best meals I've enjoyed in Anchorage! Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AD99VIPDined on 7/25/2014The service and food were very good. Portions are a little small, don't expect leftovers.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Amazing food. Still have some training to do with some of the servers, but they all seemed nice and eager to please if not equally experienced :)Special Features:
- Great new placeArtofbaconDined on 7/19/2014First noticed their pig logo, always a good sign for a restaurant. Appetizers were phenomenal, especially the pork sampler. I also tried the elk carppacio and ceveci. My entrée was good but didn't quite pack the punch of the appetizers. Torchon is tad pricy but worth it. I will go back there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining!YummyDined on 7/18/2014We celebrated a birthday here. The occasion was special and now a great memory. We stayed for almost two hours but we did not feel rushed and we were able to relax and really visit. Plus the food was delectable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Torchon was outstandingReallyalaskaDined on 7/17/2014Went to Torchon Bistro for our anniversary. It's definitely pretty swanky and not like any other restaurant in town. The menu was innovative, especially the taster plate. The ingredients are mostly local, the specialty being pork from Palmer. I had the stuffed chop, it was the best and most tender pork chop I've ever eaten. My husband had the ribeye, which was equally as good. We prob aly won't frequent Torchon as it's on the spendy side, but it's definitely at the top of our list for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch chefakdineDined on 7/10/2014My husband and I enjoyed Torchon so much the first time, we invited seven friends to join us on our second visit and were not disappointed! Every item on the menu was well thought out and perfectly prepared. This chef is amazing and we found ourselves once again trying to figure out every ingredient so that we might try and replicate it in someway at home. Big hits that night were the cod, fried chicken, and elk. We look forward to our next trip to this little neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Outstanding!EnJoyVIPDined on 7/2/2014This was one of the best meals we've had anywhere...starting with the refreshing salmon amuse bouche, delicious starters followed by amazing entrees, and despite our satiety we ordered dessert (too tempting to pass up) which was perfection and bliss! Outstanding from start to finish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local food, innovative chefJimYDined on 6/27/2014Loved it! It's great to see an Anchorage restaurant focused on locally sourced ingredients. A little pricy, but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentReluctantEnthusiastDined on 6/25/2014Having been once, the food, service, and ambiance were excellent. There were only two other tables seated so noise and service were not an issue. Server was very attentive and knowledgeable. Would try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food but needs workTomMcGrathVIPDined on 6/25/2014Torchon Bistro is one of those new restaurants that I hope makes it. It has good food but needs work in some areas. Staff seemed unsure as to what their various rolls were. Where do the duties of the server, busboy, and other servers overlap, start and stop and who compliments who. The menu was a little lacking. Needs a vegetarian entree and a soup.Special Features:
- Excellent foodie additionakdineDined on 6/24/2014Food and service- excellent! The house made mozzarella was amazing as was the Tourchon sampler appetizer. There were so many wonderful things to taste in each bit of the sampler we had to ask for a menu again to try and pick up each flavor we were experiencing! This chef is doing amazing things and we are so happy that this restaurant is near our house in SW Anchorage. We did notice the walls were a little baron so are hoping the ambiance will improve a little over time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014Overall, everything was very good. Excellent service, good food and the restaurant is beautiful. I just thought the prices were a little high. We would definitely come back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 9 reviews are from the Torchon Bistro reviews archive.
- Yikes!annookDined on 6/19/2014Too expensive. Everything we had there was something terrific on the plate and something not terrific. Husband had to ask for ice tea to be served three times. Only three tables while we were there - don't think they will make it. If they had had their pre-fix as advertised it would probably been fine. $31 for fried chicken?
- Great concept, much needed in AKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014Great concept that is much need in Anchorage. The food rivaled some of the better offerings of San Francisco/Bay Area. I truly hope this gem is found and supported by the foodie scene in Anchorage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.