1141 Kenmore Avenue
Kenmore, NY 14217Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.torches1141.com/
- Phone: 7164477915
- Hours of Operation:
Summer Hours Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm-10:00 pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00 pm- 11:00 pm - CLOSED SUNDAY/MONDAY
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Torches
Committed to excellence in both service and cuisine, Torches restaurant is owned and operated by brothers, Chefs JJ and Kevin Richert. After attending the Culinary Institute of America and cooking in the kitchens of some of Buffalo’s finest restaurants, the Richerts– along with JJ’s wife Cindy, a talented pastry chef in her own right–opened Torches as a way to showcase their own eclectic take on contemporary cuisine. Inspired by popular flavors from all over the world, challenged by modern techniques and applications, and grounded by an appreciation for traditional methods, Torches offers guests a fine dining experience unlike anything else in Western New York.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Torches - Best Restaurants in Kenmore ›
Torches reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (22)fit for foodies (20)romantic (19)neighborhood gem (15)good for groups (6)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Must goOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Great food and service .... Must go and experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentInBuffaloVIPDined on 9/26/2014Torches is becoming a habit. The menu is a mix of adventurous dishes and great takes on classic comfort food. There's usually an amuse bouche. The service is consistently excellent, and the pace of the meal is just right. It's romantic enough for just the two of us, but Torches handles larger tables well, too. We love it.Special Features:
- Perfect for special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/23/2014We go to torches for most special occasions and we are never disappointed. The service is always outstanding and the food is top notch!Special Features:
- My favorite restaurantdfergDined on 9/20/2014Menu had some new and interesting choices since my last visit. The Mediiterranean Salmon was an innovative dish; it was excellent. As always the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best chefs in townOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014Anytime we come here the food is outstanding!! It's inventive ... You won't leave one drop of food on your plateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Absolutely wonderful. Service and food both were fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!!HungryFoodieDined on 8/15/2014The food was amazing! Everything we ordered surpassed our expectations! The amuse bouche was fantastic, and we both keeping talking about it. I actually replicated the dipping oil/pesto for a dinner party later that week. The cowboy steak was absolutely perfect, I would have chewed on the bone if it was acceptable! The restaurant could use some cleaning and sprucing up, but when your serving food like that who really cares!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lived up to the hypeFrankielibsntDined on 8/8/2014Ive heard so many good things about torches over the years, so I decided to finally give it a try. Now the place doesn't look like much from the outside, but when you go in the doors it's like a whole different world. It was beautifully updated with a very chic decor. Every staff member we encountered was very friendly and equally attentive. But the food stole the show and was very much as advertised. It's also worth mentioning, that the price is pretty reasonable for that type of restaurant. 2 drinks, an app, 2 dinners and 2 desserts came to a total of $91 with tax, which in my humble opinion is not too bad at all...especially considering downtown you'd pay closer to $150. I'd recommend it to anyone and will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placehappycustomerDined on 8/6/2014We love this restaurant. It has always been a great dining experience, whether you share appetizers and drinks, or have a full dining outing. I proposed to my wife here but also feel like we can pop in on a Wednesday. Two thumbs up.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalDeb2157Dined on 8/2/2014We were there for my birthday celebration. We were treated just like we were the only customers in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Best food with surprises each visitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/25/2014This is a great restaurant with great food and surprises from the chef each visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 383 reviews are from the Torches reviews archive.
- DeliciousJoJoBDined on 6/6/2014Food was delicious and interesting. The gnocchi were melt-in-your-mouth. Great place for foodies. My only complaint would be it's an abundance of riches- a lot of food for the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!!!!!!FoodieladyDined on 5/24/2014We are not from the area and went on open table and found this gem!!!! Omg!! The food was absolutely amazing!! Husband and I got drinks, appetizer, main entrees and dessert all under $100. Def come back if we come back up this way!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated and ComfortablenytocaDined on 5/16/2014Torches was amazing. I went with a party of six and everything we tried (both food and wine) were delicious. Our waitress was friendly and attentive; she offered some excellent recommendations as well. They have an ipad that allows you to see some of the meals/appetizers before you order. Unfortunately, rather than making it easier to decide, it just made you want half the stuff on the menu. The atmosphere was both sophisticated and comfortable. I would definitely return next time I am in Buffalo.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/2/2014Excellent food, as always. The menu seemed smaller to me. Could just be that I have not been there in over a year. I think the iPad is actually kind of fun. Especially for a place with such an eclectic menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TORCHESSATISFIEDPATRONDined on 4/30/2014The staff and ambience was great! The food was awesome! We plan to frequent torches in the future.Special Features:
- Great food, friendly peoplejoanart11Dined on 4/26/2014Comfort food with hip twists! Creative cookery at its best. I'll eat anything this man puts in front of me. The staff is knowledgeable, attentive and friendly but not intrusive. If you haven't been here, you're missing a real treat.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/16/2014Excellent food always and an attentive knowledgeable staff. Excellent wine list and plenty of options for everyone. Aust try or go again !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experience!foodrusDined on 4/12/2014This was the first time at Torches. The menu was very unique; dishes very creative. The service was impeccable. The presentation of the meals were beautiful...the food itself...memorable! Will definitely go back as often as possible.Special Features:
- Fantastic Restaurant WeekexperienceBuffaloGalDined on 4/5/2014We had never been to Torches before but will definitely be back. All the food was of top quality - beginning with bread with a parsley dipping sauce and seasalt butter, then beer cheese soup with a Reuben crouton (so cute!) and a delicious baby spinach salad. Main dishes were chicken cutlets with arugula and beef tenderloin with gorgonzola smashed potatoes. Dessert were fabulous - homemade coffee gelato with bittersweet chocolate and candied pecans and a trifle soaked in bourbon. Service was prompt and excellent. A great bargain for $20.14 but I would be happy to pay full fare.Special Features:
- Had a great dinnerBuffaloDinerDined on 4/4/2014We came during restaurant week, on a Friday night. They were very busy but the service was still great and the food was excellent. The only down side was that we were seated at an overflow type table that was set up behind the bar so we were about 5 feet from the front door and didn't really get to experience the full ambience of the restaurant. They did extend a 'thank you' for the seating arrangement by sending complimentary chocolate wine out with our dessert, which was definitely appreciated. Overall, was very happy with our dinner!Special Features:
- Restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/4/2014This was our choice for restaurant week in Buffalo. The menu was an amazing value,and the food was outstanding. It was a wonderful night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findAndaisDined on 4/3/2014We tried Torches for restaurant week. The food was amazing. Everything was prepared perfectly and the restaurant week choices were fabulous. The staff was attentive and friendly. The dining room is pretty small so the tables are pretty close together, but that didn't affect our dining experience much. The silverware was kind of odd, a little hard to hold because of the shape, but no reason to miss out on the food here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate nightluvTorches2Dined on 4/2/2014Took boyfriend for Restaurant Week. The pros: The food is outstanding. Not one complaint from the salad, gumbo, to the main entree, to the desserts. The bread that came with dinner was unique. Although we sat for quite a while (over 15 minutes) before a server greeted us - our service was good from that point on. The cons: Table next to us was WAY too loud. Couldn't hear my boyfriend talk. Drink was too sweet - waitress took it away without even asking if I didn't like it (since there was one sip taken out). No asking if I'd like a different drink or more water. Boo. Also, she brought us the check before we were even done with the dessert. Felt rushed out for 'restaurant week'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dining experience everOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/31/2014The wait staff was very kind and thoughtfull, my family and I had such a great time sitting around a table with fire shooting out of it!! We had a glass of wine, some great ambiance and the cam the food! The favors were exquisite! I have never had such an incredible dining experience, I can't wait to go back. My family and I highly recommend torches to anyone looking for a great evening and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellentPistachioDined on 3/31/2014The service was a bit slow, but it was Restaurant Week, and they were very busy on a Monday night. So, understandable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First experienceLuvtodineDined on 2/22/2014We would definitely recommend Torches. We had a great experience. The food was awesome!!! Would come here over Tempo anyday!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014If that was my first experience I would not return, however it was not my first time But it was disappointing, server was slow and not attentive.Special Features:
- Fell shortOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014After reading reviews and looking at the menu I was pretty excited to have dinner at torches, however my expectations fell well short of the experience. The atmosphere was nice, well lit, nice decor, but they can't really control the company at the tables around you. Very over priced food, extremely over priced actually. The seafood in the lobster pappardelle taste like it had been frozen for some time and the cowboy steak was another let down. For the price I certainly expected more. Waitress might have been new, but she couldn't remember any of the order, which don't get me wrong I am impressed when they do but with the image torches is trying to achieve I expected more professional staff. Needless to say I won't be going back.
- Definitely would returnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/20/2014Presentation of food is wonderful. Great foods with a twist. You feel like family when you go. Love the iPad menu. They are also fantastic for catering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodmarymeDined on 2/19/2014Torches offered a quiet intimate setting. Loved the salads and bread and amuse bouche but the filet mignon was overwhelmed by the demi glaze and the pasta with lobster was overwhelmed by the sundried tomatoes. Overall, excellent meal.Special Features:
- Contender for best in BuffaloYetiDined on 2/14/2014Inventive menu combined with a tremendous wine list and terrific ambiance. The equal of Hutch's, in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okSaanaDined on 2/14/2014I was very excited to dine at Torches after so many years. For valentine's day, they had rose petals from the entrance to where the host was waiting near the bar (they also placed some petals on each table)which was a nice touch. The ambiance was good and the bread with their house dip was amazing. However the appetizers and entrées were average. My lamb was not as tender as I had expected nor was was my husband's steak. It is very unfortunate because I remember a Torches with flavourful and well prepared dishes. Don't think we will be going back.Special Features:
- This restaurant is a greatStaffer211Dined on 2/8/2014This restaurant is a great choice for a special night out. The food was amazing. The staff is fun and very attentive. They use e-tablets to show all the menu options and the specials. I will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Always Something New & InterestingInBuffaloVIPDined on 2/7/2014Torches is nearby, so we have been there a number of times. The service is always excellent, we love the atmosphere, and we always have a great meal. It's clear that the chef there makes an effort to be creative with the menu, but there are always items accessible to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu is always exciting,dfergDined on 1/14/2014The menu is always exciting, interesting. Food is excellent-this is my favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experiencepasbuffaloVIPDined on 1/11/2014Our party of three has no complaints about our recent dinner here. The food was all fabulous, service was exceptional and well paced. If you check their menu online, don't get your heart set on any one item, as the menu seems to change with some degree of regularity. They started us with an amuse bouche - a good-sized piece of a pulled pork slider that was very tasty. Two of us ordered starters that were specials of the day - a spinach salad, and a roasted red pepper and goat cheese soup that was nicely seasoned. For entrees we ordered the filet mignon trio, salmon, and a pasta dish that was a daily special. All were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very creativeDrwineVIPDined on 1/4/2014JJ just keeps getting better over the years. One of the best chefs in Buffalo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honestly some of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2013Honestly some of the best food I've ever eaten in a restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent service.KathyKDined on 12/28/2013Had a very nice dinner. However, we were all disappointed that they were out of "Bar Snacks" at 7:00 on a Saturday night....... , kind of made us wonder what else they would be out of. One of our party wanted the pork chop special and that was unavailable as well. Had a variety of foods and all were very good. especially enjoyed the "chefs extras" that were brought to the table. Kind of made up for the snacks and chops. Our server ( wish I could remember his name) was just terrific. I do know that is Mom lives in Jamaica. Anyhow he was professional and prompt.I would recommend this to a friend.