403 N. Walnut St.
Bloomington, IN 47401Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.topos403.com/
- Phone: 8126768676
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Topo's 403
Topo's 403 serves a fresh greek and mediterranean inspired menu of mezedes, salads, soups, entrees, and desserts. Housed in a beautifully restored 1870s townhouse, the atmosphere lends a lively yet intimate vibe throughout the dining rooms, full bar service, and large outdoor patio. Private dining and special event spaces available as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Topo's 403 - Best Restaurants in Bloomington ›
Topo's 403 reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (12)romantic (7)fit for foodies (6)great for outdoor dining (6)neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (5)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Home run for Topo'sBtownMomDined on 8/19/2014The party to welcome the new IU baseball coach was perfect. Creative menu in his honor. Attentive service. Great atmosphere on the patio. Delicious food. The Greek coach should know he has come to the right place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Delight in an Old HouseLynnJDined on 8/13/2014Topos has been around awhile, but I had missed it. We were seated outside on a beautiful evening, which did put us near the middle of Walnut Avenue but that was our choice. We were frankly delighted with all our food. My wife and daughter and two friends had a leisurely meal with wine and lots of tasting each other's plates. So we enjoyed a fair sampling of the varied menu and all of us were pleased. We had one vegetarian with us and there were plenty of options which were interesting and savory. If you liked Rail before its passing you may enjoy trying Topos. Our service was very pleasant and attentive and our meal was well paced, not swift, well paced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Plates a DelightnpguyDined on 8/13/2014At Topos, we decided to eschew the entrees and explore the rest of the menu. The starters/small plates were outstanding, especially the Devils on Horseback and the beets. The Greek specialties were also the best in town. The cold soup was to die for and the deserts was very good. Very well made cocktails as well. Wine list was quite unique with a nice selection of Greek and Lebanese wines.Special Features:
- Great experienceSk92Dined on 8/8/2014The portions for the food and cocktails were a little small, but the atmosphere and service were excellent. They did not skimp on the wine however! I had a fantastic Malbec and plenty of it. I should also say that the quality of the food was wonderful. The portions just left me a little empty. Get the rib eye if you're very hungry.Special Features:
- Awful does not describe.jessiebrDined on 7/25/2014We sat there for 2 hours, received 1 round of drinks, 1 of 4 appetizers that we ordered and none of our entrees. At the end, as we'd thrown in the towel and just decided to settle up for what we'd received and take off, our waiter dared to explain that we'd never ordered entrees. This is after an entire conversation with him about how much he enjoyed the entree I was, in fact, ordering. And he'd taken our menus. And we'd waited an additional hour. The manager didn't even apologize. I'm still stunned. And regret handing over any money at all.
- A Great Evening!PC2014Dined on 7/18/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Topo's. The service was great, the building is set up very well and the atmosphere and setting was so very enjoyable. The food was excellent, There was great music in the background, and we really didn't want the evening to end. There was a nice twist to the traditional Greek cuisine by adding just the right amount of elegance. We are already looking forward to the next visit to Topo's 403!!! Well done!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's the building!theprofessorVIPDined on 6/14/2014What a fine use for such a beautiful old building. Close enough to the center of town but far enough away you can actually park on a (side)street. Greek style, after the doc. Excellent service, good bar, variety of dining spaces. Unrushed. The appetizers are the best. Main courses not as exciting.Special Features:
- Scallops!BtownMomDined on 6/13/2014Another fine dinner. And great soup, too. Outstanding service.Special Features:
- WonderfulPlymouthScottDined on 5/24/2014The meal was memorable for the food and the company. All of the recommendations from the staff and the owner were spot on. We can't wait to come back and enjoy Topo's 403 again.Special Features:
- Good food and improved servicelaggVIPDined on 5/24/2014Our food was very good, and the service was greatly improved over previous visits. Luckily we finished before the live music started, which is too loud for the space and prevents conversation. A continuing problem: it was VERY COLD in the dining areas, especially with large vents directly under the tables!!Special Features:
- SWALLOWOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/15/2014Good food, a tad pricey, nice surroundings although the live music was a bit loud.Special Features:
- Over-ratedkaelisDined on 5/8/2014My wife and I went to Topos to celebrate her birthday on a Thursday evening. We'd been looking forward to going for some time – ever since we'd heard about the restaurant opening a year or so ago. We were incredibly disappointed. She had an eggplant dish that the server highly recommended. It was bland and overcooked. I had the lamb burger. To Topos' credit, they prepared it just ask I asked (rare), but the quality of meat was poor and the entire thing was quite poorly prepared, flavorless, and under-seasoned. We lucked out with half-off drinks, but even they were not terribly original (still good, though). We won't go again and won't recommend it.
- The following 117 reviews are from the Topo's 403 reviews archive.
- delicious foodJfood2Dined on 4/26/2014Wonderful food. Always fresh and full of flavor. High class atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, elegant diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Our first visit to Topo's 403 was excellent. My wife's spanakopita was perfectly prepared with a tasty sauce. And my lentil soup was hearty and smooth with a splash of sour cream and drizzled clarified butter. The seared tuna loin with spice rub and fingerling potatoes was outstanding. The flavourful juice added to the taste of the tuna without overwhelming it. The ambience of the old house was terrific. A small Brazilian jazz group was the piece de resistance that completed our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate dining and savory tastesmissmarieDined on 4/25/2014This was my first time at Topos. The interior was decadent and intimate with lovely Spanish guitar playing in background. We sat at in a small narrow like hallway to the side of the main dining space. Our server was personable, friendly, and knowledgeable of the items on the menu that we had questions about. We shared an appetizer of the dates stuffed with soft cheese and wrapped in thinly sliced meat, which was delicious. Entrees came out quickly: moussaka and the smoked lamb special. I had both, which were savory and delicious, with appropriate portion sizes. The dessert of the doughnut like cakes with dipping sauces were warm, crunchy, soft, delectable, and fit to satisfy any sweet tooth!Special Features:
- Cool place, good foodcopernicus2013Dined on 4/25/2014This restaurant is located in the historic Topologos Building, which explains its name. Dining areas are spread over various rooms. We had a table in the main dining room, where the noise level was moderate. The menu has several Greek specialties. We selected the avgolomono soup for starters, strip steak for entrees, all with a bottle of wine from Southwest France, and baklava and Turkish coffee for desert. The food was well prepared and tastefully presented. The staff was friendly and accommodating. It made for a fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodipeguyVIPDined on 4/22/2014We had salads and moussaka and loukoumades for dessert. Everything was good as usual.
- Overpriced and mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014My fiance and I recently ate at Topos 403 and were not particularly impressed. The pros: The atmosphere; it is beautifully decorated, and on Saturday nights they have lovely Spanish guitar. The cons: The price, the portions, and the food quality. First, it's pretty expensive. Because the entrees are about $25, you end up spending a lot. The portions are also pretty pitiful. My fiance ordered moussaka, and what came was about the size of (and just as filling as) a bowl of cereal. Third, there is the food quality. Both entrees (moussaka and tuna) were mediocre and flavorless. The two things that were actually recommended (the fries and the donuts) were alright, but nothing to write home about. All in all, we spent $65 for an average meal.
- MixedGreeklingDined on 3/1/2014The house is lovely, the food was wonderful, and our server was very cheerful, but I have a few complaints. (1) The alcohol was slow in coming. I had to ask twice for our wine orders. (2) the tables for two are quite small, especially when one orders several small plates. (3) the front room has too many tables. As a result, I was less than two feet away from the musician. He is an excellent guitarist and a very nice man, but I felt cramped and was sometimes unable to hear my companion over the music. (4) Finally, why are there so few Greek wines on the wine list. And no retsina?I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOUDOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014When I made the reservation I did not know there would be a jazz quintet. To be honest, the music was wonderful and I would have enjoyed it if I had been in the next room or the room down the hall. Being 10 feet from the musicians, the music was more oppressive than pleasant. We were dining with friends. We met before dinner for drinks. This is good, because we certainly could not converse at the table. Had this been my first visit to Topo's it would have been my last visit. In fairness to the restaurant, we did not ask to be moved. My friends didn't seem as bothered as I was, and I think no one wanted to suggest moving. Of course, after the music started no one could suggest anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DinnerMandyDined on 2/14/2014I have dined there several times over the past few months and it was an excellent choice for Valentines Dinner. My boyfriend and I were joined last minute by another couple and Topos Staff had no problem making room for them. We had a fantastic time. The food was incredible as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is good...but, wow, expensiveRustyd100Dined on 2/14/2014-Attended Topos for Valentines Day. -Given limited menu with meal total price elevated 20% more than regular menu. Not publicized on website beforehand. -Very little Greek cuisine offered. -No bread or other "immediate gratification" food offered (except for 6 olives). -No side dish with meal. I had a 3oz red snapper on a shallow bed of mashed potatoes. -Desserts were cheaply made and nothing special. -No mints or other special touch at end of meal. -Had two drinks from bar. They were good, and added $15 to bill. -Total bill with 20% tip: $165 for two. -We went home mildly hungry. We could eat wonderful food at the Farm or the Uptown twice...Little Tibet or Gratzies three times..and Bloomingfoods buffet 20 times for that much money.Special Features:
- Topo is Tops!MousieDined on 2/14/2014Recently dined their for Valentine's Day--bitter cold and snowy outside, warm and inviting inside. The service is perfect: professional and gracious. The food was divine: I had oysters and grilled trout, my husband had salad and steak. All prepared perfectly. My new favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Valentine nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/13/2014Confusion on the reservation. We had changed from 2 to 4 was corrected . Sitting near the music would have left talking completely out. Fortunately, we were seated in the rear where both music and conversation happened. Service was immediate and very good, even if a bit hovering. Very knowledgeable bartender was our server and knew the wines very well as well as custom drinks. One ordered the pork chop which was unremarkable, our other guest got tuna, which was ordered much more done than delivered. Nevertheless it was top drawer. Our two others ordered scallops which were fantastic, but the potatoes were cold and, while delicious, probably were less than a tablespoon, as were the peppers. The bill for the four of us was $228+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice TreatduendeinDined on 2/13/2014Very good food. Not cheap. In a gorgeous old brick house. Dining room a little cold on a winter night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a mixed baglaggVIPDined on 1/31/2014Food was good as usual, though the potatoes in the moussaka were not cooked long enough and were still hard. Luckily we were in a back room, because once the live jazz music started it was very hard to talk. The service was still very inattentive and uneven, despite the fact that we told them we were headed to a performance and were the only people there when we arrived. It is very frustrating because this restaurant is convenient and has a good menu and is in an interesting setting. If only they could get their act together and train the wait staff to provide better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night jazzbtowndinerDined on 1/17/2014The new jazz place for Bloomington. Fun time. Good food and drink. Great staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really like Topo'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/27/2013At the time of this writing (12/30/2013), I consider Topo's to be my favorite middle-to-high-end Bloomington restaurant. (OK, there aren't really any high-end places in Blooomington, but there are some good ones.) The service is better than, say, Scholar's Inn Bakehouse. The noise level and ambience are better than Scholar's Inn, The Farm, and Finch's. The food is as good as that at Truffle's or Scholar's Inn, and better than at Finch's and The Farm. The service is better than all those places, too, except for Finch's, which also has good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place was very beautiful.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/7/2013The place was very beautiful. We were seated in a very private area, which was perfect. The service was very good. The wine we chose was very good and the coffee was excellent. The food was pretty bad. Sorry to have to say, but not very good food. Sad, but true.Special Features:
- pricy but tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2013We certainly enjoyed the food but the prices were extremely high for such small portions. My husband was snacking immediately upon arriving home because he was still hungry. Yes, we knew this wasn't a "Golden Corral" type restaurant but just a bit more on the plate would look more appealing. My chicken salavaki (sp) was anaemic.... 3-4 bites ....just a bit more food would help appease the high cost.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday CelebrationSandynTheoVIPDined on 11/9/2013We had dined previously at the restaurant and loved it "twists" on tradition Greek dishes. This time we used their private dining room for a double birthday celebration for three families. Even though we had a very large group of approximately 20, our service was tremendous and everyone loved the food. Thanks to everyone at the restaurant for making this a memorable birthday. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was delicious withOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013The food was delicious with a pleasant atmosphere. Our waiters were great and the presentation was excellent. Nice going to a more upscale restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for four on FridayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2013We brought two friends from Chicago and all left very happy, having had a great meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two vegetarian options!SallyDined on 11/7/2013We noted that Topos had a new menu with two vegetarian options, and because we love to share, we made a reservation right away. We really enjoyed our meals (veggie moussaka and briama), and also appetizers and drinks. They have a top notch bar and bartender. We hope that the inclusiveness will continue, and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt forgottenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/5/2013Don't get me wrong we will go back and maybe it's because I was tired and was ready to get going but I felt at times we didn't see a waiter when we needed refills or to ask about dessert. It seemed like we had been forgotten about at one point . However even with that happening we would return for the food and ambience just probably not with our kiddos. The bar area seemed quaint and relaxing for a future night out .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dined with my wife and twoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2013Dined with my wife and two other couples on a Friday night. We split 3 apps which were all quite good. In particular I really enjoyed the dates. I ordered the lamb burger and it was really good. Everyone else seemed to enjoy their meals too. Presentation was nice. Decent beer list but I'm a bit of a snob in that regard. There were some musicians playing in the front of the house which were quite loud, but luckily we were seated in the back and the volume was fine back there. Prices were a bit steep for me, but reasonable when compared to the competition. My wife and I had 3 drinks each and our bill came to $80+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Menu at Topo's 403IndyRuthDined on 10/26/2013Had another great time at Topo's 403 on Saturday. Terrific new menu includes tuna, braised spare ribs, grilled pork, several new appetizers and salads, as well as some older favorites and their four wonderful desserts! Appreciated all the hard work from the entire staff who ensured that our visit was memorable! Will definitely be back - even if it does mean another road trip! It's worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgettable pricey food.johnnoelDined on 10/25/2013Nice old house. The atmosphere was good and our waiter was attentive. The food was very expensive and completely forgettable. It all tasted a bit over cooked and bland. There are twenty better restaurants within five blocks that will cost less and taste better.Special Features:
- Fresh Menu but pushydiner42Dined on 10/18/2013Topo's had a great ambiance. The drink selection was excellent and the menu had creative and unique plate options. My major complaint was the waitress was very pushy to order every option possible and doubled our dessert (and charge) without us even asking. Great place for a special occasion or drinks before a show.Special Features:
- Very nice but room for improvementPWAKDined on 10/12/2013Lovely waitress, very knowledgable and helpful. Some of their entrees need a bit of refining (the chickpea popcorn is a nice appetizer, but monotonous - chef needs to vary the flavors/textures a bit). One vegetarian entree option available and not that tasty. It's okay, but it's clear their emphasis is on meat options and they didn't put a lot of thought into a tasty vegetarian dish. My Greek spaghetti was delicious but needs a veggie side. Nice varieties of spirits available, lovely desserts. Overall a nice experience, ambiance is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.