445 N Clark St.
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fronterakitchens.com/
- Phone: 3126611434
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 5:30 - 9:30; Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm. Closed Sundays and Mondays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Rick Bayless
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Morales Room will accommodate private parties from 15 to 45 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Kate Sullivan 3126611434
A word from Topolobampo
Topolobampo, specializes in authentic regional cuisine served in an elegant, upscale setting. Sister restaurant, Frontera Grill serves authentic Mexican Food in a fun, casual & relaxed atmosphere. Topolobampo takes advance reservations for all parties. If you do not see what you are looking for, please call us for further information.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Topolobampo reviews from OpenTable diners
325 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (247)special occasion (220)romantic (107)notable wine list (99)hot spot (62)great for lunch (41)neighborhood gem (33)good for groups (25)vibrant bar scene (17)great for outdoor dining (9)great for brunch (8)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Slow service, food disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014We were told this was a top restaurant in Chicago; however, by the end of the lengthy experience I just wanted to leave. We tried a large variety of food, often at the recommendation of our waiter, yet there was nothing that really stood out or left us wanting more. I found myself not finishing several courses of food, not because I wasn't hungry, but because it didn't taste good enough to consume any further. It's as if the chef was trying too hard to be unique or surprising. Even the cocktails were over the top with too much pepper or chilli powder in a drink that would traditionally derive it's flavor from fruit, therefore, suppose to be sweet. We also waited 30 minutes despite having a reservation. Save your time and your money!Special Features:
- Fantastic PlaceBrunchloverVIPDined on 8/27/2014Thus restaurant is one of the best. restaurants I have ever had the pleasure of dining at. The food the wine pairings were outstanding! The service and the way everything was explained made the evening exceptional and very special .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I think they have been listening...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/27/2014For the record, Topolobampo is my favorite restaurant. That being said, take this for what is worth. There have been some complaints on various message boards about Topo recently about how long it takes to get your meal. I think that they have been listening. My wife and I both did a five course dinner and they had us out in about two hours. I think that was completely reasonable. Reading between the lines, there have been some complaints about the wait staff. Personally, I have no problem with having waiters of foriegn origin working my table at a high end Mexican restaurant. I personally think that it is great that Topo not only talks the talk but they also walk the walk.Special Features:
- Missed the mark - UnderwhelmedTapsygirlDined on 8/27/2014We had been looking forward to our visit to Topolobampo for several months (have to make reservations several in advance). We had high expectations because we knew the meal would be priced higher than we typically spend and had a lot of great reviews. We were quite underwhelmed with our experience. Parts of the meal were almost inedible, specifically, my husbands scallops ceviche were very fishy with a sauce that was overpowering. He also had hard bits of prickly pear stem in the dish that he nearly broke a tooth on. My carne asada (ordered medium rare) was so undercooked, I could hardly cut it with a steak knife. The shining star of the meal was the desert - Cacao Tree, which was a creation of mixed flavors from the cacao plant.
- The food was the best ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/27/2014The price with wine pairings was approximately $185.00 per person. I had the 5 course with pairings and my wife had the 3 course, so the price was extraordinary for the neighborhood. Although the food was Outstanding. We have traveled and eaten at fine restaurants around the world and not had the flavors, textures and quality anywhere. So, I am saying that for a special event, it is worth it.Special Features:
- RBG3Dined on 8/26/2014Presentation a bit over-the-top, but overall dining experience was positive. Excellent food. Noisy, and sluggish service at times. But a good overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Lo4655Dined on 8/26/2014The food and service were extraordinary. We flew from DC for the purpose of eating here. We did not regret it. Goat two ways...heaven. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Topolobampo for an eveningSusieqDined on 8/26/2014Food lived up to expectations. We had a table of 6 next to us...we were somewhat miserable by their terrible, terrible lack of manners in not thinking of others in the restaurant. You would have thought they were alone on their outside balcony. We were remiss in not calling the manager over to ask them to be a little more respectful of others in the restaurant. There were 4 other couples trying to carry on a conversation and spend a large amount of money. For a special evening I cannot recommend Topolobampo. There definitely needs to be more sound proofing in this restaurant and it is expensive.Special Features:
- DinnerRunRicoDined on 8/22/2014It was wonderful dinner. the service was impeccable and the ambiance was wonderful. The food was inviting and interesting as well as tasted incredible. Would go again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really excellentronhDined on 8/22/2014First, thanks to our server, Erik. I'm certain that everything on the menu was superb but he really helped us to finally pin something down. We enjoyed the ceviche trio - an excellent mixture of flavor and textures. All were great but everyone gravitated to the Yucatecan. I haven't mentioned the wonderful beverages. We each ordered a different margarita - they were all excellent. The choices we made were the Chili en Nogada, the braised short rib quesadillas, and the and the Carne Asada with black mole. All were thoroughly enjoyed. The chili en Nogada was spectacular and the ribeye was perfectly seasoned and cooked. The only thing i might like better than short ribs would be marrow bones and they weren't on the menu. Thanks.Special Features:
- Best in town.engprofVIPDined on 8/21/2014Now that Trotter's is gone, this might be the best restaurant in town. Consistently excellent and interesting cooking. Good service is necessary given the complexity of the menu, and it's there.Special Features:
- PerfectProfessorFoodieDined on 8/21/2014That's it. Perfect. Topolobampo is simply the best restaurant in America.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!DAVMGDined on 8/21/2014Food was great, the service by our portuguese waiter, really good, too. We loved it! Only quibble, the loud spanish music sounding. We are Spaniards, and it was a bit too loud for us.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014epicurean delight - well traveled foodie family loved every morselSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary ExperienceDavidDined on 8/19/2014We chose the 5-course tasking menu with wine pairings. Outstanding service, memorable food preparations, and excellent ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastico.Hensel310VIPDined on 8/19/2014Topolobampo definitely lives up to it's very high expectations. The unique / creative dishes are taken from a Mexican cookbook dating back to the 1800s. What appears to be small portions turns out to be an extremely filling and very satisfying meal, in addition to being incredibly delicious. The presentations are gorgeous, the service is gracious, well paced and attentive. The desserts are amazing. This is a tasting menu with 3, 5 or 7 course options. The wine list is unique with a selection of wines from Baja Mexico...who knew? Even the art work on the dining room walls is lively and stunning. Topolobampo is a rare restaurant that offers a wonderful dining experience on every level year after year. Bravo Rick Bayless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable butMarleneDined on 8/19/2014Very good food but the place definitly needs a refresh...floors, bathrooms and decoration... We met very nice people that is what made this experience memorable... Go for lunch and try the terrasse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Place is really good, although they're were late on taking us in food was awesome, the chile relleno was great and the chocolate cake dessert was amazing, the suggested 6 plates per person is too much, 3 or 4 plates will be more than plentySpecial Features:
- What Happened??FoodieDined on 8/15/2014This restaurant has moved significantly down in quality since my last visit in 2011. Food was too salty and seating service mediocre. The maitre'd was borderline rude. I took my friends to dine there for the first time and unfortunately it was a rather disappointing experienceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/15/2014The Topolo in 60 3 course, $25 lunch is an outstanding deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialJdempsey707Dined on 8/14/2014Former client of mine gave meca gift card. So glad she did. Amazing service and experience. Every bite was memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the goatMisterBabyDined on 8/14/2014Our waiter provided us a Mexican history lesson and also wisely recommended that we try the goat. It was worthy, similar to pot roast but tangier. The most mundane item, the corn tortillas, were superb. (I wanted to stuff a few in my pockets and have them analyzed for a secret ingredient.) We rarely dine at "expensive" restaurants anymore because it often seems a waste of dough. Here, though, we felt like we were participating in a dining adventure. And we felt welcomed.Special Features:
- Solid as usualWhahappanDined on 8/14/2014Food and service were great as usual, there was a large group sitting behind us that was very loud and annoying, but they were doctors, so I wouldn't expect the staff to tell them to zip it and loose out on a large gratuity. With that being the case the staff at Topolobampo continue to treat me and my wife's special occasions with the utmost respect. Dining there is always a highlight. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful high end MexicanMartyKVIPDined on 8/13/2014Topolobambo continues to impress after all these years. Eclectic menu of small plates that allows you to create your own tasting menu. Pricy, but the quality of the ingredients, presentation, taste and service makes it all worthwhile. I had the Chile en Nogada, Chicken and Sweetbread, followed by lamb. All excellent, there are thoughtful wine pairings, as well. Great selection of after dinner tequilas to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2014A unique dining experience.I suggest pulling the menu up online ahead of time; it is a tough one.I understand the attempt to provide an authentic Mexican experience at Topo.However, our server on 8/13 had an accent so thick that we couldn't understand her. It made our dining experience awkward& uncomfortable, not to mention embarrassing for us & her. The manager ended up waiting on us which also felt awkward. Food service was SO slow, it took 3hours for a basic meal without dessert. I've waited six years to get to this restaurant & was disappointed that this is how I spent my 40th birthday.I am a huge follower of Rick-have his books,been to Cascabel twice and frontera several times. disappointed yet glad I tried it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Anniversary Dinner: the food was good, but think it was pricy for washer we actually get. Service was incredible. Ambiance was lovely.Special Features:
- UnimpressedRepEatersVIPDined on 8/9/2014For the cost and the time we waited for our 5 courses (3hours) it was disappointing. There was nothing notable and or anything that I need or want to go back for. I guess it's my fault as I have never been impressed with any of Rick Bayless' establishments and I was hoping his Michelin rated place would be the one that changed my mind. Nope. I don't care if I ever eat Rick Bayless' food again.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedA2SicilianDined on 8/8/2014The halibut crudo I had as an appetizer was the most bizarre dish I've ever been served in a restaurant. They were irregular large chunks of halibut; looked like they been trimmed from halibut steaks, almost like chum. There was no knife on the table for cutting the pieces. When I left most of it untouched, the waitperson simply said, "sorry señorita." Some dishes and in the five course meal were good but overall the experience was lacking for me. The waitstaff lacked a certain polish and engagement I would expect at a restaurant at this price point. Dinner dragged on too long and we grew bored, nearly 3 hours for a five course meal. Price including three cocktails each was $350 not including tip.
- Don't pass on the chance to gomicjDined on 8/8/2014If you ever have a chance to dine here...do it! The food and drinks are some of the best you can get. Rick Bayless & Topolobampo have elevated Mexican food to cuisine level. The subtly of the marriage of all of the different flavors is truly amazing. I swear, I must have had at least 5 different chile's during the meal and I could taste the subtle differences in all. Service was top notch, knowledgable and yet not at all pretentious. Love that you put together a tasting of 3, 5 or 7 courses and you choose the components from a large selection of dishes. Better be hungry for the 7 course, though. Wine pairings with each course is also available and are wonderfully done. Only down side was the noise level was a tad high but not deafening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tasting menu - Mexican flairmjm814VIPDined on 8/7/2014We enjoyed the spicy choices We started with a Margarita and the sommelier recommended an excellent wine for the whole mealSpecial Features:
- ZetaoriDined on 8/7/2014Topolobampo has become a place where we have to dine when in Chicago. There is nowhere else like it. We had the pleasure of introducing friends form South America to Topolobampo this week. They expected good food and service, but were thrilled to find Topolobampo "Best" in both categories. The flavors, especially in the moles, still have them talking. Our server was knowledgeable and informative, and spoke of the offerings in the casual and unpretentious manner of one talking to friends, in English and in Spanish. We had another happily memorable experience, which will be talked about for quite a while, and a highlight of our trip to Chicago.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealdessertfordinnerDined on 8/7/2014My friend and I actually made reservations for Topolobampo on accident, and we're happy we did. The staff at the restaurant were extremely knowledgeable about the menu and were very attentive. The food was not only delicious but presented so beautifully it was almost a shame to have to eat it. The entrees that we both had were amazing, but my favorite part of dinner was definitely the desserts. These were not only beautifully presented, but incredibly delicious. The pastry chef at Topolobampo is definitely a genius. We can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- Dissapointing foodNicheDined on 8/7/2014I've eaten at Frontera Grill many times and loved it, therefore we decided to try Topolobambo. Food with the exception of a trio ceviche platter was bad. We were a party of 4, $600 check and feeling that we have eaten very good food at restaurants with half the amount of money, it is unacceptable. One of the courses was carne asada with mole, the steak was overcooked and everything in general was super salty. The restaurant lacks ambiance.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/6/2014Food always super tasty and the desserts are the absolute best. Good place to relax and have conversation, but pace is a tad too slow paced between courses.Special Features:
- fab!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2014we went for an anniversary dinner and were not disappointed. the margaritas were amazing and we left with full bellies!Special Features:
- ChelseaBlueJimDined on 8/5/2014Who could have thought that Mexican food could be so complex with such depth of flavors. An outstanding dining experience by any measure.Special Features:
- YumEattoomuchVIPDined on 8/2/2014Best dining experience ever. Try the five plates with Topolo margaritas for a great "journey"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting Menu Sort of LimitingSuburbanDogLoverDined on 8/2/2014I was a bit surprised to find out that Topolobampo had gone completely over to a limited tasting menu. The last time we were there, many years back, it was a full service dining experience. I'm not saying this was bad, just different, and probably not something I'd want to do every time I went out. Naming menu sections with words like "vibrant" is too nebulous for figuring out how to balance out what to order; I was disappointed with the limited use of vegetables. The service was first rate, though. This is a fun and different format for a special occasion, particularly if you can take your time and enjoy a tall drink with it, but if you're looking for control over selection and full size portions, this one won't suit.Special Features:
- PretentioushistorybuddiesDined on 8/1/2014The restaurant tries too hard. Service is impeccable but sterile. I'd rather have one server who has a quick conversation with me than six people but no personal interaction. The food, of course, was great but everyone in the place looked uncomfortable choosing from menu items named after paintings. At $350 including tip for two people, I was left wishing I'd spent half that at many other exceptional restaurants in town.
- Pacing and Wait StaffTopolobampoVIPDined on 7/30/2014The meal was excellent. However, the pacing of the meal could have been better. The wait staff could have been more attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.