445 N Clark St.
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fronterakitchens.com/
- Phone: (312) 661-1434
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 5:30 - 9:30; Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm. Closed Sundays and Mondays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Rick Bayless
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Morales Room will accommodate private parties from 15 to 45 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Kate Sullivan 3126611434
A word from Topolobampo
Topolobampo, specializes in authentic regional cuisine served in an elegant, upscale setting. Sister restaurant, Frontera Grill serves authentic Mexican Food in a fun, casual & relaxed atmosphere. Topolobampo takes advance reservations for all parties. If you do not see what you are looking for, please call us for further information.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Topolobampo reviews from OpenTable diners
319 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (254)special occasion (199)notable wine list (99)romantic (96)hot spot (85)neighborhood gem (40)great for lunch (34)good for groups (25)vibrant bar scene (10)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Love the new fixed price tasting menuDiscerningdinerVIPDined on 11/15/2014Topolobampo is much improved since our visit two years ago. The 3, 5 or 7 course tasting menu is a nice change from the former entree size portions. The front of house is also greatly improved. The last time, we had to wait 90 minutes beyond our reservation time - and that was on a Tuesday night! This time, we got right in for our 6 PM Saturday reservation. After our first visit, I wasn't sure I would ever return. I'm glad I did!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- memorable eveningSandySDined on 11/14/2014What a delightful evening. The food was spectacular and wine pairing was spot on. I was with a group of 5 other women and all enjoyed the experience. Our server was knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Presentation was outstanding. Best of all was that we were not rushed through the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of their game!CeeceeVIPDined on 11/12/2014Topo continues to be at the top of their game since 1987. This is the best Mexican food in the US. They continue to surprise and delight us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just keeps getting bettercjsmDined on 11/11/2014We have not visited Topolobampo for some time and we were delighted to find that the restaurant just keeps getting better. The menu is inspired Mexican cuisine that allows the flavors and colors of New World to blend harmoniously with the classical dishes of the Old World. The wine pairings are superb and the service was friendly and attentive without being cloying. Rick Bayliss is a genius!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014Outstanding experience topped off with a special treat curteous of the restaurant in celebration of our anniversrary. Service was excellent, and every bite of food was prepared perfectly. Flavored we're amazing. We commented that you could go back for weeks and try different combinations/courses and have a unique experience each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shockingly DisappointingEatsoutoftenDined on 11/8/2014My recent experience at Topolobampo failed at every single level. The front desk bobbled our reservation (set three months ago), the waiter got our drink wrong. And then goofed up when he tried to remedy the situation. The busboy was dropping food regularly...on and under the table. And then the food! The small plates menu seems fun....until you learn that it takes 30 - 40 minutes for each dish/course to arrive. 4 appetizer sized courses served in 3+ hours. And...half our dishes arrived cold or poorly prepared or flat inedible. Cold! This while members of our party saw the dishes waiting to be brought to the table. Oh, and naturally, our waiter disappeared mid-meal. The whole meal was a catastrophe. We left before finishing.
- Met expectationsLuv2dineDined on 11/6/2014Had high hopes based on most reviews, Michelin star, and admiration for Rick Bayless. Topolobampo didn't disappoint - our group ordered three courses plus matching wines, and had explanations from wait staff and the sommelier about what we should pay attention to in the dishes and how the characteristics of the wines would compliment the food. Although all dishes were great, the pheasant two ways and the steak with a dark mole were truly memorable. Our waiter sang the praises of their pastry chef, so we ended up adding a desert course, and they were all spectacular. Although certainly priced such that this is a special occasion kind of place, it felt worth every penny. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- a taste of Mexican heavenPolkamomDined on 11/6/2014What delicious treat! We went for lunch (which had perfect portion sizes - left us just enough room to split a dessert) having the creamy zesty Sopa Azteca and fresh oysters for appetizers with a wonderful smoky sauce and fresh sweet salsa which perfect complemented the oysters. The Chilaquiles Yacatecos was a rich savory blend of soft ripe avocados, crunchy tortilla strips and egg (don't bother with the chicken) that I devored in minutes. The Baja Black Cod was moist and tasty and was fun to eat. We only had enough room for the Sopa de Frutos (sorbet) which was a refreshing finish to our meal fit for a king. I can't wait to come back to Chicago to come back to Topolobampo! Thank you Rick Bayless and your excellent team!!!Special Features:
- Worst dinner ever!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/5/2014We each chose 3 items from the menu and none were remarkable. The portions were small and food was not tasty at all. The rose flan was terrible. We left the restaurant hungry and disappointed. For $150 bill I would hope to leave satisfied!!! We will remember this place as our worst dinner ever!
- Anniversary specialFriendoFoodDined on 11/5/2014It was our 30th Wedding Anniversary and we came to Chicago to celebrate. The staff was helpful and entertaining. The food was incredible - Mole was exceptional. And let's not forget the margarita's. Then my husband had the most amazing Tequila after dinner. We had to go out and find it for home.Special Features:
- Birthday celebration at TopolobamponoellebauerDined on 11/5/2014We had an INCREDIBLE experience at Topolobampo earlier this week - a celebration of my husband and my birthdays and anniversary (one stop shopping :)) with his parents. We each did a 5-course tasting with wine pairings. It was one of the best dining experiences of my life! The waiters were incredibly knowledgable and the food was delicious. It's expensive - but totally worth the spend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- review of topolobampodannymacaroonsDined on 11/5/2014i left my dinner completely underwhelmed and wouldn't spend $250 here again. for $100pp+ i'd really like to feel like my meal was wonderful and it just wasn't - it was good, totally good, just not wonderful. the staff was great, the setting lovely, the drinks excellent, and the ceviche trio was very tasty (and holy cr*p the "chips" were outstanding). starts off perfectly, but slowly heads downhill from there - with some notable standouts. we had the smoked salmon, the tamal, the goat, the short rib, the halibut, the caldo, and the squid. of them, i'd probably get the goat and the short rib again. they were good, just not wonderful, and for $100pp+, i'd like wonderful.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerjbergDined on 11/4/2014Great way to celebrate my husband's milestone birthday. He was thrilled with the meal as was I. Service was excellent and we would go back! Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top notchSSweedDined on 11/4/2014Went for birthday celebration. Greeted with birthday greetings from several a staff personal service by Tom was enthusiastic and informative. The food was wonderful..you can feel and taste the passion Rick Bayliss puts into his dishes. Can't say enough great things . Best meal and experience ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad oysters, rude manageraklcatDined on 11/1/2014Went to this place for a very special occasion as per my friend's recommendation. Ordered fresh oysters for appetizer and was served three different kinds of oysters. Out of the three, my companion and I both detected a strong unfresh taste in one of the three kinds. We informed the restaurant and was later told that the said kind of oyster had been removed from the menu for the night. As we did not feel justified to pay for the oyster dish, we spoke to the restaurant manager, who was rude and dismissive of our claim. He then argued over the $15 dish for something that was clearly their fault (fresh seafood is a basic food safety standard). Completely did not expect this kind of poor food & service from a restaurant of this calibre.
- AmazingFoodIsFunDined on 11/1/2014Excellent food and service. Worth the wait for a reservation. Knowledgeable staff and amazing food. Multi-course with wine pairing is fabulous. Being able to choose 3, 5, or 7 courses is a really nice touch. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25 Years Later, Still Marvelous!GlobetrotterVIPDined on 11/1/2014Our group of four had a simply wonderful dinner Saturday night at Topolabampo. Two of us chose the 5-course menu and two chose the 3-course, and then we all shared and thoroughly enjoyed it. Favorites: the red chili stuffed with goat cheese, short ribs, halibut, and coconut dessert. The margaritas were incredible and the wine pairings spot on. In addition, we had extraordinarily attentive and friendly service. A terrific evening from start to finish! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Amazing food, slow servicetable42VIPDined on 10/31/2014Love this restaurant and was pleased that they are now offering a flexible fixed price offering. Diners can choose 3, 5 or 7 course prix-fix and choose the items that they want. Our only complaint was that the time between courses was way too long. Don't get me wrong, I hate being rushed through dinner but there is a balance. Once they work this piece out then it will be perfect.
- One of the best meals of my life.Lucas0404Dined on 10/30/2014In summary, see title. Not cheap, but if you want a serious dining experience, it is worth every penny. For what you get, it is a steal. Service is extremely knowledgeable. Prompt, but you never feel rushed (even though I was dining in pretty much the last seating). The food was impeccable. Balanced, properly seasoned, elegantly presented, served at the correct temerpature. My dining companion and I did 5 different courses each, and shared all of them. None disappointed. The Soupa Azteca is a must-try if you dine here. I am an industry professional and have eaten at a lot of fantastic places, but this restaurant left me speechless. Go here now.Special Features:
- Delectable high end Mexicandkenglish7Dined on 10/29/2014We have dined at Frontera Grill before, but this was our first venture through the sliding door to Topolobampo, to celebrate my wife's birthday. Prepare to spend several hours here as the format is a luxurious litany of small plates. The wait staff were endlessly patient in explaining each dish and in suggesting better pairings or orderings of our choices, there were plenty of little extras, and just the right amount of attention. The wine list is a delight and spans the globe. The cocktails, especially the Margaritas, are worth a trip by themselves. Dessert was beyond description, though in the only slip all evening, I was first brought a different item than I had ordered. But it was very good, and so was my wife's birthday sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food/service - keep your coatEdmontonianVIPDined on 10/29/2014We enjoyed the food and were very pleased with the table service. I was considerably less impressed when trying to retrieve my coat that I had checked with restaurant staff, I was told that restaurant staff had given it to another customer who had left the restaurant. After a wait while a staff member went to attempt to retrieve the coat, I was pleasantly surprised when the coat was returned to me. The staff apologized for the error but the events after dinner detracted significantly from the evening and meal.Special Features:
- 5 coursesPatrickDined on 10/29/2014Outstanding meal, every dish was bursting with flavor. Really enjoyed the wine pairings too. Very knowledgeable staff, our waiter (originally from Portugal) really made it enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changes the way I think about mexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/28/2014Probably my favorite meal in Chicago. We did the 7 course tasting with the wine pairing. Probably a 3 + hour dinner and delightful. My favorite dish was the beef tongue. Every course was different and pushed the boundaries of what I think about as mexican. I hated to see the meal end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but service too slowBigblueDined on 10/28/2014We have dined here many times and the food is always great. We did the tasting menu and had a few courses that were outstanding, a few that were very good and s few that were ok. However the service was so slow it seems like we spent most of our (almost 3 hrs) there with an empty table. Waits of 20-30 min between courses. Our server did try to speed things up at the end but it soured the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food journeySedgroDined on 10/28/2014Fabulous meal! From start to finish the food & service were excellent. The desert was so good I still think about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, if slowseegeebearDined on 10/25/2014Like Frontera Grill, this restaurant really elevates Mexican dining in Chicago. We had the 7 course meal, and while decadent was completely worth it. Highlights of the meal included the barbacoa, short ribs, and waygu tongue. Somehow, they managed for both rich and vibrant at the same time. Dessert standouts were the chocolate flight and the coconut horchata. Near misses were the hamachi (overly spicy for an early course) and the vermicelli (limp noodles and out of place in the tasting menu). The only drawback was the meal pacing and service. Each course was separated by at least 20 minutes, and the servers were difficult to flag down at times. We arrived for at 5:45 and didn't finish our meal until 10:15.Special Features:
- Topolo!!JbpforteDined on 10/24/2014Loved the experience! We ate lunch before our Opera and the food, drinks and dessert were wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is not worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2014We had 5 courses. The house salad was so salty and sour that I couldn't eat it. Three of the courses were ok and one, the French onion tortilla soup was excellent , but again salty. Service was very good. All in all not worth the 2 1/2 month wait time for a reservation or the cost.
- Overrated & Not Worth Your Money.YumSeekerVIPDined on 10/23/2014The menu looks fantastic upon initial viewing but the execution was painfully subpar given the restaurants Topo is competing with in this price range. The shrimp in the caldo had not been cleaned, served with the dark vein (read: digestive tract) intact. Far too many dishes came with a broth/sauce served tableside, a kitschy gimmick that overcompensated for dry and overcooked meat. To cap it off, service was painfully slow as a 5-course meal took over 3.5 hours; paired with the consistent disappointment of each dish, I lost all excitement for the food by the third course. Topolobampo seems to have a great concept but the kitchen produces a disjointed and confused version of what the menu promises to deliver. Will not return.
- AmazingjustmarriedDined on 10/22/2014I made a reservation one week after we had gotten married. I requested champagne be on the table as a surprise which they did. Everyone, not just our server, greeted us with a congratulations! We decided to go with the five course meal and wine pairing. Not being huge wine drinkers this is definitely the way to enjoy your meal! We were also unsure of what to really choose, so our server actually picked out our entire meal. She was very thorough while describing each course and wine. They food and wine were just as amazing as the service! It was definitely worth the money we spent as we completely enjoyed the meal and service from start to finish. We will be back and have already recommended this restaurant to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what it used to beEffect2VIPDined on 10/22/2014The room is nice, music a bit loud for an upscale restaurant. Then theres the food, used to be my absolute favorite however I was dissappointed, while good, surely not what it used to be in years past. Everything was just okay. I am sad to say I dont need to go back.Special Features:
- RaymanDined on 10/21/2014As usual the food was excellent and the wait service also. However, it was the first night for a new menu and it appears that the kitchen did not have it worked out as there were long kitchen delays. That was dissappointingSpecial Features:
- Hint of greatnessDatsboyDined on 10/21/2014Hit Topo for lunch because we couldn't get in for dinner. Four of us took a long relaxing lunch, and it was great. Terrific specialty cocktails, a bit pricey for lunchtime. Did the 3 ceviche sampler - one was a bit too heavy on the lime, but the tuna special was a home run. We split quesadilla specials, Cod w yellow mole' and pork belly. The food was amazing, especially the sauces for each dish. Remarkable. And dessert was terrific, too. Service was decent. Our guy disappeared for a while when we wanted a second round of cocktails, but plenty of other servers came around to help out. Special place. Glad we went, will go again. And as we left, we were impressed to see Rick Bayless in the window of his corner take out place wokring with his chef team. He is here paying attention!Special Features:
- ExcellentNovaScotiafoodieDined on 10/18/2014The food and service were outstanding. So much thought goes into their menu that changes every month. The wine pairings were terrific as well. We could only get a 10 pm reservation, and it was packed even then. You are definitely not whipping up this food at home. My husband has some allergies, and it was absolutely no problem to accommodate. Staff know the menu and wine and work together to give you an exceptional evening. Well done!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceonereviewatatimeDined on 10/18/2014The menu is basically a tasting menu, where you have numerous small courses over the course of several hours. It is an experience and priced as such. Food is amazing, service is great. Everything fresh and menu always changing. Something you should try at least once, and then you'll be back (budget permitting) as the menu changes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Chicago iconSteveDined on 10/18/2014We're fortunate to have Rick Bayless. This is a phenomenal restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated and overpricedAnllyVIPDined on 10/18/2014The Food was good, but we excepted great food, after all the great reviews, and the price, so a bit disappointed. Very noisy, impossible to carry conversation. I will not be going back.
- Authentic GourmetluvcabritoDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I shared the 7 course selection and truly enjoyed every bite. There was plenty for us both to get full. great place. I will make a destination any time I come to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!innovuDined on 10/16/2014This is a great choice if you are in downtown Chicago! Rick Bayless delicious treats take you out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rick Bayless knows foodFLTravelerDined on 10/16/2014I've eaten at all of his restaurants, and over a period of several years. He continues to "wow" me, with his attention to great food and exceptional service. This last trip to Topo was no exception. A foodie's delight-you won't be disappointed. The flavors in every dish are incredible-very balanced and each ingredient shines, complimenting the dish. A deft touch in the kitchen. Already looking forward to my next trip to Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.