445 N Clark St.
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fronterakitchens.com/
- Phone: 3126611434
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 5:30 - 9:30; Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm. Closed Sundays and Mondays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Rick Bayless
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Morales Room will accommodate private parties from 15 to 45 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Kate Sullivan 3126611434
A word from Topolobampo
Topolobampo, specializes in authentic regional cuisine served in an elegant, upscale setting. Sister restaurant, Frontera Grill serves authentic Mexican Food in a fun, casual & relaxed atmosphere. Topolobampo takes advance reservations for all parties. If you do not see what you are looking for, please call us for further information.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Topolobampo reviews from OpenTable diners
316 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (249)special occasion (209)notable wine list (102)romantic (97)hot spot (71)neighborhood gem (43)great for lunch (36)good for groups (24)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (6)great for brunch (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Authentic GourmetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014My wife and I shared the 7 course selection and truly enjoyed every bite. There was plenty for us both to get full. great place. I will make a destination any time I come to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014This is a great choice if you are in downtown Chicago! Rick Bayless delicious treats take you out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food but too much noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/15/2014The quality of the food would deserve five stars, but it was too noisy to enjoy it.Special Features:
- UnbelievableNicolaDined on 10/15/2014I was served foods I never new existed in ways I never knew possible. Everything was beautiful and delicious. I had mentioned in my Open Table reservation that I am vegan, and I never had to mention it again. I was told all the options, which the waiter confirmed with the chef. Very successful outing.Special Features:
- The best Mexican foodDeedeeDined on 10/15/2014In Chicago! Loved the heart of Palm appetizer, the trio of ceviche, and the carne asada.Special Features:
- Bayless BrillianceGolem212VIPDined on 10/14/2014Mexican food maven Rick Bayless's Chicago mecca packs 'em in, and with good reason. On a recent visit to the city, we partook of the eclectic and delicious tasting menu, much to our delight. The menu follows the history of Mexico, from pre-Columbian days to the present. Suffice it to say that every manner of flora and fauna adorn it. Selections are too numerous to mention, but put yourselves in the capable hands of a Topolobampo server, add a simpatico wine pairing and enjoy!Special Features:
- A Dining ExperienceAnonymousDined on 10/11/2014The tasting menu options are all incredible. The food is both prepared and presented with incredible passion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMG!!!ClubEATSDined on 10/11/2014I cant even put into words how incredible this experience was. My wife and I seriously DID NOT want to leave. The service, the atmosphere, the food, the honesty and the staff were beyond superior. This may've been the greatest service I've ever had. Jessica was incredible! Worth Every penny! Thank you So much!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/11/2014the transformation to a 3,5,or7 course tasting menu is not as good as former a la carte menu. enjoyed the traditional choice of entree. the flow of the meal was disjointed and did not seem to progress in an orderly manner. 2 of the courses were the same, served at different times in the meal. felt like some of the courses were prepared well ahead and then serve when someone orderedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fromelmVIPDined on 10/11/2014This is our fifth time dining at this restaurant in the last ten years. The food we had was excellent except for the Joel's shrimp caldo which was to salty. The service was impeccable as always. Unfortunately it has become more pretentious from when we first tried this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowLeasiaVIPDined on 10/11/2014Everything was great. The staff made recommenations that were great and helped me complete my selections for the 5 course tasting menu. The appertizer, the trio of ceviche was fresh, flavorful and spicy. Loved every bite. Eveyone was attentive, they even caught on that most of my selections were for smoky, spicy dishes and they selected a coctail that was both! Yummy! Just wonderful.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, terrible stagingERB162VIPDined on 10/11/2014I need to start by saying I am a Rick Bayless fanboi. We have been to Topolo a half dozen times in the last few years. This time the service was terrible. A table of six with ZERO special requirements took 4.5 hours for the 7-course tasting. Someone decided that all savory dishes needed to be served before dessert, regardless of number of courses ordered. The waiter talked too much. They ignored a birthday request and a timing request. After all that, the waiter had the gall to ask us why we "only" tipped 15%. There were other mistakes but those are the lowlights. The food was all wonderful, prepared/cooked with skill, super-flavorful. Love being able to choose your own adventure. It just didn't play out right that night, with no apologies.
- Topo has fabulous foodKyotocatDined on 10/10/2014Each dish was terrific in appearance, texture, taste and inventiveness. Our halibut and quail courses were perfect. Our three wines were beautiful, especially the Loire Vouvray. Service was attentive and knowledgable, as well as entertaining.Special Features:
- Excellent on all countsPippinDined on 10/9/2014We've eaten at Frontera a couple of times, and although both are excellent, Topolobampo is clearly a step above. I chose the 3-course meal with wine pairings, while my husband had the 5-course. There was more than enough food and all of it was innovative, delicious and served by staff who clearly enjoyed explaining every aspect of each dish. The wine pairings were also well chosen for the dishes we had. I particularly recommend the scallop ceviche, the black cod, and the venison. It's a busy place, so not quiet, but not deafening as many places seem to be.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant, slow servicefooddwellerVIPDined on 10/9/2014Our server was very knowledgable and friendly, but service was a bit slow throughout the evening. The food and drinks were flavorful and fun.Special Features:
- Great Food , Slow Servicerush5781Dined on 10/8/2014Overall my experience was good. The food was excellent but the service was very slow. Took us over 2 hours to finish when they weren't busy our 3 courses and at their prices that's unacceptable. We were actually just sitting around waiting most of the the time. We enjoyed the dishes and the experience but I'm not sure I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleFoodlover09Dined on 10/8/2014The food was terrible. The meals are small and it was not fitting for the price. They didn't explain the menu as to what we were getting and there isn't many options for vegetarians. It also doesn't even feel like you are sitting in a 5 star restaurant. Very disappointed!
- Probably the best meal of my life.eml308Dined on 10/7/2014Everything about this dining experience was amazing. I was in a party of three including one vegetarian and we had the five courses with matched wines. The food, obviously, was incredible, as were the wines that were paired with each course, and our waiter Tiago explained everything in detail course by course and wine by wine. Didn't have any snooty, better-than-their-diners feel that comes with some Michelin-starred restaurants and we didn't feel rushed in and out. I'd heard about the Oaxacan mole and it didn't disappoint (nothing I chose did). I hope to get back there again one day and try the things I missed out on and the new things Rick Bayless dreams up in the interim. Thanks so much.Special Features:
- After all these years still greattjssVIPDined on 10/7/2014Have been going here for 20 years and it is still great. 20 years ago it was very unusual, but now Jose Andres and others the ideas and execute as well or better, so no longer so "special". But still extremely high quality well executed. Cannot go wrong.Special Features:
- Topolobampo-wow!allforfoodfoodforallDined on 10/4/2014We went as a group (7), and there was a large variety in how many courses everyone ordered (3-7). But the restaurant clearly has it down how to combine these kinds of things, and the food was incredible! I did the 7 courses with wine pairings, and there was only one course where I thought it was not fabulous. The sommelier also spent a lot of time at our table for the curious among us, and the service was tops. One member of our party was not feeling well, and they plied her with whatever they could think of to make her feel better. Cannot wait to go back for another special occasion!Special Features:
- WonderfulStFoodie69VIPDined on 10/4/2014Never fails to impress with range of delicate, compex and bold flavors. Waiters are well informedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chicagomyrtleChicagomyrtleDined on 10/4/2014My family came for my Dad's 80th birthday. Most of us had the 7 course chef tasting with wine pairings. My husband and I have done this at lots of restaurants, but this was outstanding. The service was also exceptional. It has been many years since we have been here, it is definitely back on our radar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over PricedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014The food was quite good. For the $200 bill I would've expected a lot more. The meat was very fatty. Like I said the food was good but there are plenty of other restaurants that serve the same quality food for 1/2 the price. Service was excellent. Atmosphere was excellent. Drinks were comparably priced to upscale restaurants but in my opinion many more restaurants and bars serve the same quality for lower prices.
- Toplobampo Did Not DisappointLargeMarjDined on 10/3/2014Our dining experience at this restaurant was outstanding. The service, amazing. Everyone was extremely attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. And the food...each course was like a small gift to be explored and enjoyed. I ordered 5 courses with wine pairings. I asked if they would put together the menu for me as they would know what to recommend. So each course was a (pleasant) surprise. My friends ordered 3 courses and it wasn't quite enough for a meal. I would recommend eating the scallops on top of the flatbread. It mellowed out the saltiness of the dish and helped you to enjoy the flavor of the scallops. The Carne Asada in mole sauce was amazing. I would definitely return and recommend to friends and colleagues.Special Features:
- Good food, noisyLookingforanexcellentmealDined on 10/3/2014We have been to Topolobampo a couple of times.One expects that Frontera next door will be loud but the more upscale Topo should be able to diffuse some of that by leaving a little more room between tables. It just lacks ambiance. Maybe dim the lights some. Food was very good and service was pretty good.Special Features:
- Another Great VisitsnaaDined on 10/3/2014We have gone to Topolobampo every year for my husband's birthday for the past few years. They never disappoint. I'm glad to see they have kept a few great items like their awesome mole sauce and their oyster appetizer. We tried the scallop sashimi, which is a new favorite. They did change the set-up of the menu a little so that you select 3, 5, or 7 courses and can pick from anything on the list. The waiter didn't explain that, but we figured it out. The cocktails are always amazing, and our friend did the perfect 7 while we all got either a 3 or 5 course meal. That I can see as being awkward, but they worked it out very well.Special Features:
- Great food. Very expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2014I thought it was great. But, it was a bit overpriced for the noise level and the service. We had the 5 course choosing with wine paring. The food and wine were excellent. But, we were there for 4 hours. I thought that was a bit long. There was a long wait between each course. I don't want to be rushed of course, but I felt the service was too slow. It took about 30 minutes to get our original drink order. It was also quite loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- james6655VIPDined on 10/2/2014Really set for a tasting-menu experience with several small plates and matching wines. Everything was exquisite. A terrific meal and lots of fun to share with others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chetDined on 10/2/2014Topolobampo is an outstanding restaurant, but it is small and reservations are needed long in advance.... I was lucky to score a weeknight table for two with little advance notice, but it was akin to having a winning Lotto number!! It was fabulous, and the menu is both creative and delicious....Well worth the experience of dining at a Bayless restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/2/2014The food and service were very good. The waiter was very knowledgeable and patient. The tables are close together and the dining room gets very loud.Special Features:
- Top NotchJiggsDined on 10/1/2014Each and every carefully crafted, beautifully presented, flavorful course was equally delightful as the last. The drinks were well conceived and executed. The environment was formal, but not stuffy, and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014Very nice service. Food pricey for pathetically small portions. Food unexceptional. Wouldn't recommend to a friend unless I knew they had very deep pockets.Special Features:
- Great and overpricedDancerDined on 9/30/2014all entrees were creative. Service was fantastic. The flavors tasty. Nice ambience. Overpriced. 2 people over $200Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every dish was a tiny perfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/26/2014A huge fan of Rick Bayless, I could not have been more delighted than to have him sit down at a table directly across from mine! Dining at Topolobampo has been on my list of top ten to experience and it absolutely exceeded my expectation. The only unpleasant moment was an exchange with the sommelier, who was outright shaming when I shared with her my excitement and a desire to take a photo to include him in all the pics I have of each of the 5 courses with wine pairing. There were 3 in our party and we each ordered different small plates - and rotated to share (along with the paired wines, of course). Every dish was a tiny perfection. We loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Topolo in 60NovaDined on 9/25/2014I was skeptical about being able to enjoy a nice 3-course lunch in an hour but Tapolobampo's "Topolo in 60" truly delivered. I enjoyed the Classic Ceviche for the starter. It was a nice balance of tart, salty, and ever so slightly sweet. The Baja Black Cod Verde arrived dry on the outside (sitting under a heat lamp?) but was moist and perfectly cooked inside. The 'spicy' verde broth was nicely seasoned with a smidgeon of heat. The light refreshing Sopa de Frutas was a perfect ending. The courses were appropriately sized, and I finished the three courses without feeling stuffed. This was a nicely packaged lunch for $25. Aside from the slightly dry-on-the-outside cod, I would recommend.Special Features:
- Topo is tops the restaurant sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2014Outstanding food, well-trained and knowledgeable staff, incredibly creative and delicious foodSpecial Features:
- Best Margarita I have ever had!beachfoodieDined on 9/24/2014The mescal margarita was amazing - it had ice crystals in it and the flavors were outstanding. The mole sauce was incredible, as was the chocolate dessert. It was one of the most memorable meals I have had, although my sister had halibut that was not great. Our server was so friendly.Special Features:
- Delicious experienceDoctorjDined on 9/20/2014A 3,5 or 7 course meal is what is offered at Topolobampo and each of the selections that my wife or I chose were delicious. We started with an appetizer, the trio of ceviches which were excellent. Then we chose our three course meal which consisted of sopa azteca, chile enogada and a Rib-eye in a mole sauce. The three were delicious and surprisingly filling considering the small portions. I decided to add some dessert so I had a coconut ice cream with some masa crumbs which I found very tasty. Overall we had a great time at Topo and I forgot to say that the staff was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't disappoint!NaplesNativeVIPDined on 9/19/2014We tried to have dinner here during our last two visits to Chicago and the reservations were always booked up -- so we decided to have lunch. The waiter was excellent, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Everything we had was delicious - from the unique margaritas, simple/fresh guacamole, to the divine Alaskan cod with complex/delicious sauces; and the tasty, wood-grilled short rib quesadillas. Our meal lived up to the hype!Special Features:
- Great service, unique foodChicagoAMJDined on 9/17/2014The reservation took 3 months to get but it was worth the wait...the food options were very unique, server did a great job of explaining everything and also accommodating some of our dietary restrictions. We went for my wife's birthday and they made it special by bringing a complimentary dessert for her with candle and all. Would definitely go again...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.