445 N Clark St.
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fronterakitchens.com/
- Phone: 3126611434
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 5:30 - 9:30; Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm. Closed Sundays and Mondays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Rick Bayless
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Morales Room will accommodate private parties from 15 to 45 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Kate Sullivan 3126611434
A word from Topolobampo
Topolobampo, specializes in authentic regional cuisine served in an elegant, upscale setting. Sister restaurant, Frontera Grill serves authentic Mexican Food in a fun, casual & relaxed atmosphere. Topolobampo takes advance reservations for all parties. If you do not see what you are looking for, please call us for further information.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Topolobampo reviews from OpenTable diners
320 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (247)special occasion (217)notable wine list (104)romantic (102)hot spot (68)great for lunch (37)neighborhood gem (35)good for groups (27)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (7)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Every dish was a tiny perfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/26/2014A huge fan of Rick Bayless, I could not have been more delighted than to have him sit down at a table directly across from mine! Dining at Topolobampo has been on my list of top ten to experience and it absolutely exceeded my expectation. The only unpleasant moment was an exchange with the sommelier, who was outright shaming when I shared with her my excitement and a desire to take a photo to include him in all the pics I have of each of the 5 courses with wine pairing. There were 3 in our party and we each ordered different small plates - and rotated to share (along with the paired wines, of course). Every dish was a tiny perfection. We loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Topolo in 60NovaDined on 9/25/2014I was skeptical about being able to enjoy a nice 3-course lunch in an hour but Tapolobampo's "Topolo in 60" truly delivered. I enjoyed the Classic Ceviche for the starter. It was a nice balance of tart, salty, and ever so slightly sweet. The Baja Black Cod Verde arrived dry on the outside (sitting under a heat lamp?) but was moist and perfectly cooked inside. The 'spicy' verde broth was nicely seasoned with a smidgeon of heat. The light refreshing Sopa de Frutas was a perfect ending. The courses were appropriately sized, and I finished the three courses without feeling stuffed. This was a nicely packaged lunch for $25. Aside from the slightly dry-on-the-outside cod, I would recommend.Special Features:
- Topo is tops the restaurant sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2014Outstanding food, well-trained and knowledgeable staff, incredibly creative and delicious foodSpecial Features:
- Best Margarita I have ever had!beachfoodieDined on 9/24/2014The mescal margarita was amazing - it had ice crystals in it and the flavors were outstanding. The mole sauce was incredible, as was the chocolate dessert. It was one of the most memorable meals I have had, although my sister had halibut that was not great. Our server was so friendly.Special Features:
- Delicious experienceDoctorjDined on 9/20/2014A 3,5 or 7 course meal is what is offered at Topolobampo and each of the selections that my wife or I chose were delicious. We started with an appetizer, the trio of ceviches which were excellent. Then we chose our three course meal which consisted of sopa azteca, chile enogada and a Rib-eye in a mole sauce. The three were delicious and surprisingly filling considering the small portions. I decided to add some dessert so I had a coconut ice cream with some masa crumbs which I found very tasty. Overall we had a great time at Topo and I forgot to say that the staff was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't disappoint!NaplesNativeVIPDined on 9/19/2014We tried to have dinner here during our last two visits to Chicago and the reservations were always booked up -- so we decided to have lunch. The waiter was excellent, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Everything we had was delicious - from the unique margaritas, simple/fresh guacamole, to the divine Alaskan cod with complex/delicious sauces; and the tasty, wood-grilled short rib quesadillas. Our meal lived up to the hype!Special Features:
- Great service, unique foodChicagoAMJDined on 9/17/2014The reservation took 3 months to get but it was worth the wait...the food options were very unique, server did a great job of explaining everything and also accommodating some of our dietary restrictions. We went for my wife's birthday and they made it special by bringing a complimentary dessert for her with candle and all. Would definitely go again...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience & food but pricey!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2014Loved the menu, ambiance and total food experience. Only downside is major $$$$. My wife and I were satisfied/full with the 3-course meal + appetizer. Waiter kept pushing for 5 or 7 course meal saying if 3 course we would still be hungry (which begs the question on why does a 3 course meal exist then?...anyway...). Our bill for 2 was $190 (over the top!) but it was a special birthday occasion. Can't imagine what a 5 or 7 course bill would be with only 1 cocktail each!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special occasionChitownDocDined on 9/16/2014My wife and I decided to celebrate our anniversary at Toplobampo, after having not been ther for many years. While it was on the xepnsive side, we will almost certainly be back soon. The drinks were great. You have to try their signiture margaruita, shaken by hand tableside. The paltes are small, but the sauces are rich, and we did not leave hungry.Special Features:
- Disappointed with reservationJCmexDined on 9/13/2014It is very frustrating when your reservation is not fully respected. Even though we made a reservation with many weeks in advance and arrived 30 minutes before the time we did not get a table until almost one hour after our arrival. The worst came when I realized that people arriving after us with a reservation for the same hour were assigned a table before us. I did not rate the service as poor just because the service inside the restaurant was outstanding and the food is outstanding as well.Special Features:
- Delicious, but SloooooowScottieVIPDined on 9/13/2014I had reservations at 9pm on a Sat. My wife and I were really hungry and ordered the 5-course meal. The courses were small plate but well sized.Special Features:
- Resting on Its ReputationSidDaddyDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I had previously been to Fontera and XOCO and loved both of them which made us very excited to try Topo. We were a little disappointed with Topo though. It was not that the food or service was bad we just thought It was very overpriced for what was delivered. We both tried the 7 course tasting menu with wine pairings. The wines were good and a couple of the courses were good but nothing was really mind blowing, which is what I kind of expect when spending $500 on a meal for two people. We didn't really feel that the food was that much better than Fontera. I would go back to Fontera or XOCO in a heartbeat but this will be my last visit to Topo.Special Features:
- Beyond expectations!yumyumyumDined on 9/13/2014Topolobampo was great. The staff accommodated some special dietary and scheduling needs with grace and we had a lovely meal for my 50th birthday. Topo is one of those gems that makes Chicago the great city that it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceTrinidadDined on 9/12/2014Did not disappoint. Great service, fine food, and a memorable evening. Distinctive wines and creative cuisine.Special Features:
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2014Dinner was amazing, as usual. We had a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suechkee1Dined on 9/12/2014Great food, great service and a great time. Once again our lunch birthday celebration was excellent.Special Features:
- What a privilege!StCharlesfoodieDined on 9/11/2014Our first time at Topolobampo. Why did it take so long? The food was inventive and amazing. Wine pairings were spot on. Service was A+. What a wonderful evening! Rick Bayliss is a Chicago treasure. We are so fortunate.Special Features:
- Good but not as fine as it once wasFBCLTVIPDined on 9/11/2014I am not a fan of the 3,5 or 7 dish tasting menu concept. I much preferred this restaurant when the menu was a la carte. Food is still very well done but it does not feel like a revelation any more. Portions are fairly small so you might not get enough with the three selection so you will be looking at $70. At that point you might feel like you have been ruthlessly upsold by another temple of gastronomy. The wine list has a few good selections under $70 but the wine pairings don't seem like good valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedcsHungryDined on 9/10/2014Don't go too hungry. You may have long waits to get your food. We arrived at 8:40 for an 8:45 reservation and were told that our table was nearly ready. We were ok with going to the adjacent Frontera Grill bar to have a cocktail. However, no one came to seat us (or even check on us) until nearly 9:30. And once seated, we still waited quite a while. The menu is interesting. But each item took too long to arrive. We, like other diners that nights, sat too long with nothing but glasses on the table. We were eating our entree at close to 11p. Lost interest in the place early on due to slow kitchen. So yes, the food is "authentic" and dishes are tasty with unusual flavors. Glad we went; but we were overall disappointed with the experience.Special Features:
- AmazingshepshepDined on 9/6/2014Fine dining with warm, comforting atmosphere. We had the 5 course meal, and I enjoyed trying every single dish. The sopa Azteca and the goat barbacoa were highlights.Special Features:
- FabAtmospherelessDined on 9/5/2014Great everything. Had been twice before years ago. Quality, service, food hasn't changed at all - fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Topo ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2014I really appreciated the time the wait service takes to provide the context of the menu and it's history and follows up again at each serving. I'm a bit of a history fan so I like getting the social relationship to when the menu item was prominent in Mexico's history.Special Features:
- Unique Dining Experience.Mmantle01Dined on 9/4/2014Food was great but prefer the old way of ordering. The 3-5-7 choice of various small plates with wine pairings does not fit with the way we like to order. However, it was a special and wonderful dining experience to celebrate my wife's Birthday. They made her feel specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A food experienceChefEddiesCritiqueVIPDined on 9/3/2014Dinner at Topolobambo is not just a meal, it is an experience. Incredibly flavorful dishes and very knowledgable servers. It is on the expensive side, but well worth the money.Special Features:
- Best gourmet Mexican evereclecticDined on 9/3/2014This restaurant has the best gourmet Mexican food ever. Every dish was spectacular and the service was as well. We tried both the appetizers and several main courses and all left you savoring every mouthful. It makes sense now how difficult it is to get reservations at this top spot. And we were there for lunch--I am told that the dinner menu is even better. Can't wait to try the dinner selections, too!Special Features:
- DissappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014And not sure why. Although the food was quite good -- didn't care for the selections and little plates. If I wanted Tapas -- would go somewhere else. We try to make it into the city to eat here at least once a year -- but not sure if will make the effort again any time too soon.Special Features:
- Slow service, food disappointingsoleary25Dined on 8/30/2014We were told this was a top restaurant in Chicago; however, by the end of the lengthy experience I just wanted to leave. We tried a large variety of food, often at the recommendation of our waiter, yet there was nothing that really stood out or left us wanting more. I found myself not finishing several courses of food, not because I wasn't hungry, but because it didn't taste good enough to consume any further. It's as if the chef was trying too hard to be unique or surprising. Even the cocktails were over the top with too much pepper or chilli powder in a drink that would traditionally derive it's flavor from fruit, therefore, suppose to be sweet. We also waited 30 minutes despite having a reservation. Save your time and your money!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Fabulous meal! We had the 5 course tasting menu...every dish was delicious!Special Features:
- Excellent!!!Riley520Dined on 8/29/2014what a pleasure to dine at this restaurant; Pittsburgh, my hometown, has come a long way in the restaurant scene, but has nothing to match Topo's - have visited Chicago 5 times and Topo is always a must on the agenda. This time around we had 5 people at our table, all ordering a variety of selections from the menu and everyone was beyond happy. Service was marvelous, the menu explained in detail and wonderful suggestions made by the waiter attending our table. We all walked out with smiles and all saying next time we meet will be at Topo's.Special Features:
- Romantic/Delightful Food ExperiencerazzledazzleDined on 8/28/2014My husband and I each ordered 5 courses of different types and shared. Wow! Each dish was beautifully prepared and presented. The combination of flavors and sauces were amazing. Nothing was too spicy hot, which allowed us to really savor all the nuanced flavors. The background music was just loud enough to hear but did not compete with our dinner conversation. The decor was warm and welcoming. The Topolo Margarita is fantastic. Our server was attentive but not at all intrusive. We would definitely return if we were back in the Chicago area.Special Features:
- Fantastic PlaceBrunchloverVIPDined on 8/27/2014Thus restaurant is one of the best. restaurants I have ever had the pleasure of dining at. The food the wine pairings were outstanding! The service and the way everything was explained made the evening exceptional and very special .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I think they have been listening...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/27/2014For the record, Topolobampo is my favorite restaurant. That being said, take this for what is worth. There have been some complaints on various message boards about Topo recently about how long it takes to get your meal. I think that they have been listening. My wife and I both did a five course dinner and they had us out in about two hours. I think that was completely reasonable. Reading between the lines, there have been some complaints about the wait staff. Personally, I have no problem with having waiters of foriegn origin working my table at a high end Mexican restaurant. I personally think that it is great that Topo not only talks the talk but they also walk the walk.Special Features:
- Missed the mark - UnderwhelmedTapsygirlDined on 8/27/2014We had been looking forward to our visit to Topolobampo for several months (have to make reservations several in advance). We had high expectations because we knew the meal would be priced higher than we typically spend and had a lot of great reviews. We were quite underwhelmed with our experience. Parts of the meal were almost inedible, specifically, my husbands scallops ceviche were very fishy with a sauce that was overpowering. He also had hard bits of prickly pear stem in the dish that he nearly broke a tooth on. My carne asada (ordered medium rare) was so undercooked, I could hardly cut it with a steak knife. The shining star of the meal was the desert - Cacao Tree, which was a creation of mixed flavors from the cacao plant.
- The food was the best ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/27/2014The price with wine pairings was approximately $185.00 per person. I had the 5 course with pairings and my wife had the 3 course, so the price was extraordinary for the neighborhood. Although the food was Outstanding. We have traveled and eaten at fine restaurants around the world and not had the flavors, textures and quality anywhere. So, I am saying that for a special event, it is worth it.Special Features:
- RBG3Dined on 8/26/2014Presentation a bit over-the-top, but overall dining experience was positive. Excellent food. Noisy, and sluggish service at times. But a good overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Lo4655Dined on 8/26/2014The food and service were extraordinary. We flew from DC for the purpose of eating here. We did not regret it. Goat two ways...heaven. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Topolobampo for an eveningSusieqDined on 8/26/2014Food lived up to expectations. We had a table of 6 next to us...we were somewhat miserable by their terrible, terrible lack of manners in not thinking of others in the restaurant. You would have thought they were alone on their outside balcony. We were remiss in not calling the manager over to ask them to be a little more respectful of others in the restaurant. There were 4 other couples trying to carry on a conversation and spend a large amount of money. For a special evening I cannot recommend Topolobampo. There definitely needs to be more sound proofing in this restaurant and it is expensive.Special Features:
- DinnerRunRicoDined on 8/22/2014It was wonderful dinner. the service was impeccable and the ambiance was wonderful. The food was inviting and interesting as well as tasted incredible. Would go again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really excellentronhDined on 8/22/2014First, thanks to our server, Erik. I'm certain that everything on the menu was superb but he really helped us to finally pin something down. We enjoyed the ceviche trio - an excellent mixture of flavor and textures. All were great but everyone gravitated to the Yucatecan. I haven't mentioned the wonderful beverages. We each ordered a different margarita - they were all excellent. The choices we made were the Chili en Nogada, the braised short rib quesadillas, and the and the Carne Asada with black mole. All were thoroughly enjoyed. The chili en Nogada was spectacular and the ribeye was perfectly seasoned and cooked. The only thing i might like better than short ribs would be marrow bones and they weren't on the menu. Thanks.Special Features:
- Best in town.engprofVIPDined on 8/21/2014Now that Trotter's is gone, this might be the best restaurant in town. Consistently excellent and interesting cooking. Good service is necessary given the complexity of the menu, and it's there.Special Features: