Top of the Market - San Mateo
1855 S. Norfolk St.
San Mateo, CA 94403Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Top of the Market - San Mateo
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefishmarket.com/topofthemarket.aspx
- Phone: (650) 349-1845
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, French American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine
- Catering: In the works....
- Private Party Facilities: Banquet/Private room available for parties up to 35.
- Private Party Contact: Lana Flatt or Sandy Pierucci 650-349-1845x
A word from Top of the Market - San Mateo
This intimate restaurant overlooking a quiet lagoon evokes the sophisticated charm of the classic, timeless bay area fish house. Our seasonal American menu featuring the finest seafood, meats and local produce is complemented by an exceptional wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Top of the Market - San Mateo - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
Top of the Market - San Mateo reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (28)fit for foodies (19)neighborhood gem (17)special occasion (17)great for lunch (14)romantic (13)notable wine list (7)good for groups (7)great for outdoor dining (7)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Luv this place, the Catalina Swordfish is PerfectGaryCDined on 11/22/2014We've been going to Top of the Market for at least 20 years and we love it. The food is always spectacular and the atmosphere is perfect for special occasions like birthdays. We had the Catalina line caught fresh swordfish this particular night and it was absolutely delicious...very tender, unlike a lot of swordfish we have had in other restaurants, especially after it has been frozen it can be very firm and not tender. The butter-nut squash veggy served with it was also perfect and very tasty, so much so that my wife just googled the recipe to try at home. We also bought a pound of swordfish at the Market on the way out. Looking forward to having it for dinner tonight. The flourless chocolate cake was a perfect end to the meal...enough for 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusieVIPDined on 11/20/2014This is the best neighborhood restaurant with the best staff and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my bday dinnerchicasVIPDined on 11/11/2014It was my first time ever at this restaurant and it was an absolutely a great experience. The food was amazingly delicious, we had great service, the view was beautiful and I can't wait to go back. thank you,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the Market is topsGmanDined on 11/9/2014The food is fresh, the service is excellent, and the view is to die for. We loved watching the boats tie up to the dock to have dinner at the Top of the Market. One warning, the kitchen is small, so the wait for food can be a little long, but it is worth waiting for.Special Features:
- Overcooked food & dated environmentHappilyDiningVIPDined on 11/7/2014Really bad. Both the salmon and the vegetables were overcooked. The scallop portion was very small on the entree, and the beans were so 'smokey' tasting that they completely over powered the salmon dish. Also the bread was stale and had an off flavor. Which is absurd considering how delicious the bread is downstairs at the Fish Market. I have eaten at the Fish Market many times and it's much better than Top of The Market. And the ambiance is sadly lacking too. Poor ventilation, and a very dated look. 1980s anyone? Really disappointing.
- Good place for lunch in Foster CityCityGurlReviewsVIPDined on 10/27/2014With such few places to select from in Foster City, I highly recommend the Top of the Market. It overlooks a little river & perfect for lunch meetings. The food focus is California cuisine and fish/seafood.Special Features:
- Perfectly cooked scallops!FridayNiteDinnersVIPDined on 10/24/2014These guys know how to prepare seafood! Scallops as the main entree and part of my cioppino were perfectly cooked. The broth in the cioppino was sublime. Service, wine, and ambiance so very nice, really love this place for a special night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood done rightGrouchoDined on 10/11/2014I'm skeptical of most seafood restaurants and have been disappointed more often than not. The seafood is rarely fresh and the staff doesn't have a clue about what they are serving. No, that isn't "sea bass" or "red snapper." I'm a fisherman and know better. Tripadvisor rated this place highly. We were seated promptly in a choice spot, with great views. The oysters were crisp and fresh and the hamachi crudo was as good as would be found in a quality sushi restaurant. The main courses were both delicious and creative. Service was attentive and the prices were commensurate with the quality of the dining experience. The wine selection was limited, but reasonably-priced. No disappointments here.Special Features:
- CathyVIPDined on 9/30/2014Good food and good service but a little pricey since the remodeling!Special Features:
- The Cioppino is so soporaDined on 9/26/2014I wanted to have Cioppino that night but Sea Chest Restaurant is too far. So I went to this one for the Cioppino as it has a good review. It was so so. The seafood seems to be cooked separately before mixing into the sauce. The scallop is too salty. We also had the clam chowder. It was ok.
- Great Venue, Good FoodElGringoGeekDined on 9/21/2014Enjoyed an evening of wine and food with friends in a great venue overlooking a lagoon off the San Francisco bay. The food was quite good, and the service was good with just a little prompting (like for more water, or another bottle of wine). That said, we were not rushed, or encouraged to vacate the table (as seems to happen in too many restaurants these days). Also impressive, but not expansive was the wine list, which included my favorite after dinner variety ... a well-aged tawny port (surprising how many restaurants forgo this ...). All in all, a wonderful evening!Special Features:
- well OK, but...kld123VIPDined on 8/15/2014i expected more from "fine" upstairs dining. the bartender did not know how to make an old fashioned (he used sprite and club soda instead of simple syrup and jack daniels whiskey instead of bourbon). I stuck with mine but my wife wisely changed to a manhattan which was better. the poke appetizer was great. the cioppino was average tho plentiful portions. my wife's fish was fine. for the price range, I would probably opt for Kincaid's. will try again tho and update if a better experience.
- Food great, service suckswhiskeymanDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I went for dinner at The Market because of reviews I have seen. The ambiance was terrific. I know because it took 10-15 minutes for him to come to our table. He came with no apologies. We ordered wine and appetizers, finished our appetizers and waited 15 more minutes before he came back. We ordered our main dish, waited 15 more minutes for him to come back, clean the and get the check. I am not a foodie, but I expect good service when I spend over $120 for two people.Special Features:
- Unexpected find. Great placeCylygirlDined on 8/8/2014Service excellent, drinks a good variety, food was cooked perfectlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a business lunchWilsonAUSVIPDined on 8/6/2014Good food, good service and good spot for a business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 297 reviews are from the Top of the Market - San Mateo reviews archive.
- Favorite neighborhood spotTheaterCrowdDined on 7/24/2014I've never had a bad meal at the Top of the Market. It's one of my favorite places to dine. Great service. Great healthy food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- citygirlVIPDined on 7/22/2014I'm not sure why i'm surprised every time i have a great meal here, maybe it's my downtown bias. I work near the restaurant and take clients when they are in town. The food is always delicious and inventive. The nectarine salad was seasonal and fresh, the perfect combination of sweet and savory. The halibut also had several summertime touches and was fantastic. The wine list has some quality listings and the service is always good. I wish it were closer to the city! And that's the only reason it doesn't get five stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food and ServicePouleDined on 7/17/2014And the view is nice! I took my fiancé here for his birthday on Thursday. We've been to "The Fish Market" downstairs (and loved it), and this is a nice step up (literally and figuratively). Higher end seafood in a more cosy, less bustling atmosphere. Service is top notch and accommodating. The food is amazingly delicious, from the steamed mussels to the seated scallops. We'll definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good service, nice viewBankercatVIPDined on 7/12/2014Top of the Market is a nice restaurant with a good selection of menu items. The service was very good and the view of the water was nice. The lighting was a little bright for my taste but that is my only complaint.Special Features:
- better than averageOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/11/2014Food was pretty good, although Salmon was dry. Octupus Salad was the best thing we shared. Waiter was a little impatient, due to a busy floor. In general however, wine list was reasonable, ambience was good for convsersation and we weren't rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Wedding Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2014For our wedding anniversary, I wanted to have a special celebratory meal with my wife, so I made a reservation at the Top Of The Market which seemed to offer menu similar to The Fish Market (downstairs) but in quiet, more elegant surroundings. I also ordered flowers for my wife which were to be delivered in time for our dinner. The manager, Lana kept me informed about status of the flowers and, when we arrived, the flower arrangement had been placed at our table. Throughout the evening management and wait staff made us feel very special by insuring our celebration went flawlessly. Our meal was very good and, although the wine list was fairly limited, the wine I selected was tasty. My wife really enjoyed the lobster tail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTonyDined on 6/20/2014As always her experience dining here was excellent. Very pretty sunset view, excellent wait staff and service, and wonderful cioppino! Couldn't ask for much more. Always a good dinner choice.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and serviceKingkatVIPDined on 6/20/2014Our experience was just perfect. We had lovely chilled miyagi and kumamoto oysters to start and a bay shrimp cocktail. The petrale sole was incredible. Service was attentive and the view from the restaurant was pretty. The banana dessert was not my favorite but my husband loved it. All in all a really great experience.Special Features:
- SueZeeQueVIPDined on 6/19/2014As always - great food and great service. I had never tried the "TOP OF THE MARKET GRILLED CHEESE." It was wonderful!!! I definitely plan to order it again. The accompanying tomato soup was excellent. One of my dining companions also had it and loved it, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatviewDined on 6/1/2014We have been to the restaurant below and were happy to find a more upscale restaurant now on top. The view was terrific. The food was prepared differntly from most seafood dishes. A little more expensive but very good. Our waiter was very efficient and attentive.Special Features:
- JanisDined on 5/30/2014Unfortunately, there were several "thirty-something" couples with a total of 9 children and 1 baby. The adults were at one end of the table; the children left to themselves, were at the other end. They were all very noisy and self-absorbed to the point that I had to look over, get their attention and comment that they were a bit too loud. We had a terrible time enjoying conversation at our table. The only salvation was the view and the great food!Special Features:
- special place in San Mateo121SiliconValleyVIPDined on 5/20/2014Sandy runs the show up stairs at the Fish Market - Every time I take a client there, they are impressed with how she runs the show - The food is exceptional, the service very attentive & the scenery is awesome -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/16/2014It was nice to go to the Fish Market with a reservation -- for Top of the Market. A wait on a weekend night can be hours long. Food was good. Our service seemed slow and spotty. For a table of 6, one meal arrived almost 10 minutes later. Took a long time between ordering something like drinks, asking for more bread, and when they showed up. We were a group of old friends hanging out so it wasn't that bad but it was still noticeable how long things took. The food was delicious. Crudo and Poke appetizers were really tasty - especially the poke (pronounced pok-ay) and we're from Hawai`i and it held up to Hawaiian restaurant style poke. Local fish dishes were also really yummy.Special Features:
- Good Food Great ViewGrandmaJaneDined on 5/15/2014Really good food. Specializes in fish and every dish was nicely prepared with very fresh fish and chef who know how to prepare without overcooking. Excellent fish and chips, fresh salmon, and the fish stew was fabulous! Friendly service and a wonderful view of the bay inlets in Redwood Shores. We'll do this again.Special Features:
- Very good food, so-so servicehungrypersonVIPDined on 5/13/2014We like Top of the Market in San Mateo, and have been there many times. This visit had the usual very good food (boy, do they know how to cook fish!) but the service was slow. Our waitress was attentive and on the ball, but we think the kitchen was not producing the food fast enough. Our reservation was at 5:30pm on a Tuesday, so it was early and perhaps they were gearing up for the evening rush (and not there yet). In any case, it was still a pleasant experience, but I think their systems need to be reviewed to avoid this kind of thing. Our previous experience with this restaurant didn't include service like this, so we think it was an isolated incident.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An hour and waiting...FrequentOTuserVIPDined on 5/12/2014We arrived on time for our reservation and were the first party seated. As the place began to fill up, our waitress took a drink and dinner order. Then a large party arrived and we did not see our waitress again for an hour after our drinks arrived. It was ridiculous and other tables started complaining about the slow service. Then the appetizer and salads arrived at the same time, in a very rushed manner. The waitress was polite but clearly the restaurant did a very poor planning job and the two hostesses had to get involved with order taking and serving. Overall a very disappointing experience.Special Features:
- Nice ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014The view, location and food were wonderful. Nice for an intimate lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Good venue, good food, good serviceMarkSTVIPDined on 5/7/2014My business lunch date arrived late - it's hard for folks who haven't been there to find it. Everything else went smoothly.Special Features:
- Quaint and intimatebusyfoodieDined on 4/24/2014I took a friend that I have not seen for three years to this spot tucked away in between San Mateo and Foster City. Both dishes -- I ordered fettuccine with shrimp and prosciutto and my friend's got spicy scallop, dungeness crab linguine -- are delicious. The pace of the service was calm and not hurried with great house wines. Sitting by the window, we enjoyed the water view very much.Special Features:
- Quiet view of the waterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/11/2014My wife and I decided to spend our date night at a fish restaurant, partly due to Lent. We loved the octopus salad, and found the trout deviled eggs intriguing. My spicy scallop crab linguini was satisfying, and her scottish salmon was nice. The desserts were great. We left very satisfied, and enjoyed our well paced dinner time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestMarkDined on 4/7/2014My wife and I had lunch here - it was so good we invited our business group to join us for dinner a few days later. 6 people, not a single complaint about anything! We started with Kumamoto oysters and Bloody Mary's, then king crab, swordfish, and other dishes. The snickerdoodle dessert is not to be missed. Great service, great food, great location.Special Features:
- Will go againJennCVIPDined on 3/23/2014I have been to top of the market several times. This was the first time we had problems with our order. First iced tea was brought out as iced coffee. Then a special food allergy request was ignored. Food was wonderful but I was disappointed in the number of mistakes this trip generated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisey experienceTerrieDined on 3/21/2014We unfortunately got seated next to a large family party with a loud child/screamer. Not what we usually get at this upscale seafood establishment. Also, restaurant so busy, the food took longer than it should have for delivery!Special Features:
- Great food, but no elevatorMassMomDined on 3/10/2014I took my elderly mother out to dinner for her birthday. The food and service are great but we almost didn't get to enjoy them because there is a long steep interior staircase one must climb to get to the restaurant and no elevator. With effort and assistance she did get up ( and later back down) the stairs, but it was not ideal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service was excellent,mmrpDined on 3/8/2014Food and service was excellent, however, this restaurant is above the very popular Fish Market restaurant. We went on a Saturday night and it was difficult to find parking (we eventually did when someone else left the lot).