Top of the Market - San Mateo
1855 S. Norfolk St.
San Mateo, CA 94403Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Top of the Market - San Mateo
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefishmarket.com/topofthemarket.aspx
- Phone: 650-349-1845x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian, French American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine
- Catering: In the works....
- Private Party Facilities: Banquet/Private room available for parties up to 35.
- Private Party Contact: Lana Flatt or Sandy Pierucci 650-349-1845x
A word from Top of the Market - San Mateo
This intimate restaurant overlooking a quiet lagoon evokes the sophisticated charm of the classic, timeless bay area fish house. Our seasonal American menu featuring the finest seafood, meats and local produce is complemented by an exceptional wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Top of the Market - San Mateo - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
Top of the Market - San Mateo reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (46)fit for foodies (26)special occasion (26)neighborhood gem (24)romantic (23)great for lunch (20)good for groups (16)great for outdoor dining (13)notable wine list (13)vibrant bar scene (12)great for brunch (11)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)Show More
- well OK, but...kld123VIPDined on 8/15/2014i expected more from "fine" upstairs dining. the bartender did not know how to make an old fashioned (he used sprite and club soda instead of simple syrup and jack daniels whiskey instead of bourbon). I stuck with mine but my wife wisely changed to a manhattan which was better. the poke appetizer was great. the cioppino was average tho plentiful portions. my wife's fish was fine. for the price range, I would probably opt for Kincaid's. will try again tho and update if a better experience.
- Food great, service suckswhiskeymanDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I went for dinner at The Market because of reviews I have seen. The ambiance was terrific. I know because it took 10-15 minutes for him to come to our table. He came with no apologies. We ordered wine and appetizers, finished our appetizers and waited 15 more minutes before he came back. We ordered our main dish, waited 15 more minutes for him to come back, clean the and get the check. I am not a foodie, but I expect good service when I spend over $120 for two people.Special Features:
- Unexpected find. Great placeCylygirlDined on 8/8/2014Service excellent, drinks a good variety, food was cooked perfectlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a business lunchWilsonAUSVIPDined on 8/6/2014Good food, good service and good spot for a business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite neighborhood spotTheaterCrowdDined on 7/24/2014I've never had a bad meal at the Top of the Market. It's one of my favorite places to dine. Great service. Great healthy food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- citygirlVIPDined on 7/22/2014I'm not sure why i'm surprised every time i have a great meal here, maybe it's my downtown bias. I work near the restaurant and take clients when they are in town. The food is always delicious and inventive. The nectarine salad was seasonal and fresh, the perfect combination of sweet and savory. The halibut also had several summertime touches and was fantastic. The wine list has some quality listings and the service is always good. I wish it were closer to the city! And that's the only reason it doesn't get five stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food and ServicePouleDined on 7/17/2014And the view is nice! I took my fiancé here for his birthday on Thursday. We've been to "The Fish Market" downstairs (and loved it), and this is a nice step up (literally and figuratively). Higher end seafood in a more cosy, less bustling atmosphere. Service is top notch and accommodating. The food is amazingly delicious, from the steamed mussels to the seated scallops. We'll definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good service, nice viewBankercatVIPDined on 7/12/2014Top of the Market is a nice restaurant with a good selection of menu items. The service was very good and the view of the water was nice. The lighting was a little bright for my taste but that is my only complaint.Special Features:
- better than averageOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/11/2014Food was pretty good, although Salmon was dry. Octupus Salad was the best thing we shared. Waiter was a little impatient, due to a busy floor. In general however, wine list was reasonable, ambience was good for convsersation and we weren't rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Wedding Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2014For our wedding anniversary, I wanted to have a special celebratory meal with my wife, so I made a reservation at the Top Of The Market which seemed to offer menu similar to The Fish Market (downstairs) but in quiet, more elegant surroundings. I also ordered flowers for my wife which were to be delivered in time for our dinner. The manager, Lana kept me informed about status of the flowers and, when we arrived, the flower arrangement had been placed at our table. Throughout the evening management and wait staff made us feel very special by insuring our celebration went flawlessly. Our meal was very good and, although the wine list was fairly limited, the wine I selected was tasty. My wife really enjoyed the lobster tail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTonyDined on 6/20/2014As always her experience dining here was excellent. Very pretty sunset view, excellent wait staff and service, and wonderful cioppino! Couldn't ask for much more. Always a good dinner choice.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and serviceKingkatVIPDined on 6/20/2014Our experience was just perfect. We had lovely chilled miyagi and kumamoto oysters to start and a bay shrimp cocktail. The petrale sole was incredible. Service was attentive and the view from the restaurant was pretty. The banana dessert was not my favorite but my husband loved it. All in all a really great experience.Special Features:
- SueZeeQueVIPDined on 6/19/2014As always - great food and great service. I had never tried the "TOP OF THE MARKET GRILLED CHEESE." It was wonderful!!! I definitely plan to order it again. The accompanying tomato soup was excellent. One of my dining companions also had it and loved it, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatviewDined on 6/1/2014We have been to the restaurant below and were happy to find a more upscale restaurant now on top. The view was terrific. The food was prepared differntly from most seafood dishes. A little more expensive but very good. Our waiter was very efficient and attentive.Special Features:
- JanisDined on 5/30/2014Unfortunately, there were several "thirty-something" couples with a total of 9 children and 1 baby. The adults were at one end of the table; the children left to themselves, were at the other end. They were all very noisy and self-absorbed to the point that I had to look over, get their attention and comment that they were a bit too loud. We had a terrible time enjoying conversation at our table. The only salvation was the view and the great food!Special Features:
- special place in San Mateo121SiliconValleyVIPDined on 5/20/2014Sandy runs the show up stairs at the Fish Market - Every time I take a client there, they are impressed with how she runs the show - The food is exceptional, the service very attentive & the scenery is awesome -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/16/2014It was nice to go to the Fish Market with a reservation -- for Top of the Market. A wait on a weekend night can be hours long. Food was good. Our service seemed slow and spotty. For a table of 6, one meal arrived almost 10 minutes later. Took a long time between ordering something like drinks, asking for more bread, and when they showed up. We were a group of old friends hanging out so it wasn't that bad but it was still noticeable how long things took. The food was delicious. Crudo and Poke appetizers were really tasty - especially the poke (pronounced pok-ay) and we're from Hawai`i and it held up to Hawaiian restaurant style poke. Local fish dishes were also really yummy.Special Features:
- Good Food Great ViewGrandmaJaneDined on 5/15/2014Really good food. Specializes in fish and every dish was nicely prepared with very fresh fish and chef who know how to prepare without overcooking. Excellent fish and chips, fresh salmon, and the fish stew was fabulous! Friendly service and a wonderful view of the bay inlets in Redwood Shores. We'll do this again.Special Features:
- Very good food, so-so servicehungrypersonDined on 5/13/2014We like Top of the Market in San Mateo, and have been there many times. This visit had the usual very good food (boy, do they know how to cook fish!) but the service was slow. Our waitress was attentive and on the ball, but we think the kitchen was not producing the food fast enough. Our reservation was at 5:30pm on a Tuesday, so it was early and perhaps they were gearing up for the evening rush (and not there yet). In any case, it was still a pleasant experience, but I think their systems need to be reviewed to avoid this kind of thing. Our previous experience with this restaurant didn't include service like this, so we think it was an isolated incident.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An hour and waiting...FrequentOTuserVIPDined on 5/12/2014We arrived on time for our reservation and were the first party seated. As the place began to fill up, our waitress took a drink and dinner order. Then a large party arrived and we did not see our waitress again for an hour after our drinks arrived. It was ridiculous and other tables started complaining about the slow service. Then the appetizer and salads arrived at the same time, in a very rushed manner. The waitress was polite but clearly the restaurant did a very poor planning job and the two hostesses had to get involved with order taking and serving. Overall a very disappointing experience.Special Features:
- Nice ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014The view, location and food were wonderful. Nice for an intimate lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Good venue, good food, good serviceMarkSTDined on 5/7/2014My business lunch date arrived late - it's hard for folks who haven't been there to find it. Everything else went smoothly.Special Features:
- The following 279 reviews are from the Top of the Market - San Mateo reviews archive.
- Quaint and intimatebusyfoodieDined on 4/24/2014I took a friend that I have not seen for three years to this spot tucked away in between San Mateo and Foster City. Both dishes -- I ordered fettuccine with shrimp and prosciutto and my friend's got spicy scallop, dungeness crab linguine -- are delicious. The pace of the service was calm and not hurried with great house wines. Sitting by the window, we enjoyed the water view very much.Special Features:
- Quiet view of the waterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/11/2014My wife and I decided to spend our date night at a fish restaurant, partly due to Lent. We loved the octopus salad, and found the trout deviled eggs intriguing. My spicy scallop crab linguini was satisfying, and her scottish salmon was nice. The desserts were great. We left very satisfied, and enjoyed our well paced dinner time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestMarkDined on 4/7/2014My wife and I had lunch here - it was so good we invited our business group to join us for dinner a few days later. 6 people, not a single complaint about anything! We started with Kumamoto oysters and Bloody Mary's, then king crab, swordfish, and other dishes. The snickerdoodle dessert is not to be missed. Great service, great food, great location.Special Features:
- Will go againJennCVIPDined on 3/23/2014I have been to top of the market several times. This was the first time we had problems with our order. First iced tea was brought out as iced coffee. Then a special food allergy request was ignored. Food was wonderful but I was disappointed in the number of mistakes this trip generated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisey experienceTerrieDined on 3/21/2014We unfortunately got seated next to a large family party with a loud child/screamer. Not what we usually get at this upscale seafood establishment. Also, restaurant so busy, the food took longer than it should have for delivery!Special Features:
- Great food, but no elevatorMassMomDined on 3/10/2014I took my elderly mother out to dinner for her birthday. The food and service are great but we almost didn't get to enjoy them because there is a long steep interior staircase one must climb to get to the restaurant and no elevator. With effort and assistance she did get up ( and later back down) the stairs, but it was not ideal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service was excellent,mmrpDined on 3/8/2014Food and service was excellent, however, this restaurant is above the very popular Fish Market restaurant. We went on a Saturday night and it was difficult to find parking (we eventually did when someone else left the lot).
- A Festival of Seafood + ViewsFoodieFetishDined on 3/1/2014Always a favorite for my husband and I for date night or entertaining friends. Perfectly prepared and bountiful selection of fresh catch plus plenty to please guests looking for food without fins. Top of the Market is the quieter, cozier dining room above the lively, family-friendly, group friendly Fish Market Restaurant overlooking the lagoon at Fashion Island. Quiet enough to enjoy an evening enjoying food, wine, dessert, and solving the worlds problems. Whether you love your fish simply grilled, battered sigh chips, raw or creatively sauced you will love the choices. Wonderful variety of salads too.Special Features:
- Fish Market!SFGirlVIPDined on 2/23/2014Good restaurant for seafood, great service. Smoked fish platter is delicious. Crab Salad wonderful.Special Features:
- Awesome dinner for twoLetsEatVIPDined on 2/21/2014Our pleasant, enthusiastic waitress convinced us to try some excellent dishes we otherwise wouldn't have, such as a tender, delicious octopus salad. Many wines by the glass, including a choice of 5 or 6 Sauvignon Blancs. The Arctic Summer dessert is perfect to share with your sweetie. Warm fresh fruit with a slightly sweet sauce paired with vanilla ice cream. All enjoyed while overlooking a slough of SF Bay populated with ducks and seabirds at sunset. Perfect Friday night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/16/2014Reservations for Top of the Market (TOTM) 4 people; friends not visited before. Restaurant buzzing when entered front of restaurant, ascended stairs to TOTM, the noise level reduced dramatically to a pleasant level, asked waiter which Chardonnay to order, brought sample of each, we decided, ordered sushi and chowder, myself and other male patron ordered waiter recommended Spicy Seafood Stew (I'd ordered before), very satisfying for both of us, contained variety of seafood, also added Mediterranean Octopus, very good. Ladies had scallops and Petrale Sole, on waiter suggested bed of butternut squash and spinach replacing menu listed cauliflower and raisins. The meal ended with a dessert of Arctic Summer, italian Cream pastry and wine sampler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a pre-flight mealdbaiocchiVIPDined on 2/13/2014Have a red eye leaving SFO. This is a good choice for dinner. Very good food, generous portions, and excellent service. They tout their "view" but the seats that actually give you a view (especially at night) seemed few and far between. Worth going back however. Great seafood and pasta, and not horribly expensive. Its definitely on my short list of pre SFO choices.
- Great foodLisaDined on 2/13/2014My boss took us out for lunch there. The staff is very friendly and made sure we got our food in a reasonable amount of time. Would love to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findgourmetgalVIPDined on 2/12/2014A friend I hadn't seen for 15 years was sent to Foster City on business. She had little free time and no transportation, so I had to find a place both convenient to her hotel and worthy of our reunion. Top of the Market came up on my search and proved to be exactly what we wanted. The room was charming and quiet enough for our catch-up conversation. My seafood stew was perfectly spiced and had fresh and delicious scallops, mussels, clams and calamari. Her sea scallops were cooked just right and came with an assortment of vegetables. Our waitress helped her pair it with one of their house wines. We then shared a freshly baked fruit crisp for dessert. I'll definitely keep this restaurant in mind the next time I'm in that area.Special Features:
- Great to graze thru appetizersLynieRVIPDined on 2/1/2014My husband and I enjoy having a variety of appetizers with soup or we sometimes will split a pasta. It is a great way to get a lot of taste treats!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnexpectedSurprisedDined on 1/14/2014We had reservations. I was a couple minutes late, but as soon as I gave them my name I was directed to my seat. Excellent service, FRIENDLY staff. Seafood was excellent. Great presentation, and the waiter was very attentive. Great place for family, or business meetings.Special Features:
- Food was excellent. But itAhkueiVIPDined on 1/14/2014Food was excellent. But it took forever to order dessert, be told the ordered dessert is no longer available, and the other dessert never showed. We finally asked for the check and the waiter insisted that the single scoop of ice cream is coming. No, thank you! 15 minutes is more then a courtesy wait for a single scoop of ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For seafood loversChikinaDined on 1/11/2014We have been many times at the fish market restaurant downstairs which was good, but noisy. This time we wanted quite Tim with our friends and we made reservation upstairs. I requested a window table and they accommodated us perfectly. We have ordered clam chowder soup, grilled octopus, calamari fish and chips and a seafood stew. We asked family style and they divided main courses at the kitchen. Service was fantastic. Food just right. Overall we had a good time. Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.