Top of the Market
750 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Top of the Market
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thefishmarket.com/topofthemarket.aspx
- Phone: (619) 234-4867
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:45pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday-Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Ivan Flowers
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private room that seats up to 24 people.
- Private Party Contact: Samantha Gullixson 6192344867x
- Cross Street: Pacific Coast Highway and W. Broadway
- Public Transit: We are two blocks from the Sante Fe Depot station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The lot directly in front of our restaurant is metered & monitored by the Port of San Diego seven days a week from 10am-8pm. The meters accept quarters and City of SD Parking Meter Debit Cards. It is $3.50 for the two hour maximum. We offer valet service that is $10 for our guests and available seven days a week from 11am until closing. Should either of these options be unavailable there are two additional public lots located on Pacific Coast Highway and W. Broadway.
A word from Top of the Market
Top of the Market offers an extensive variety of fresh fish, oysters and shellfish with a sophisticated twist. Views of San Diego Bay, Coronado and Point Loma make Top of the Market the ideal location to dine when in San DiegoContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Top of the Market - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Top of the Market reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (123)special occasion (95)romantic (80)great for outdoor dining (73)fit for foodies (62)great for lunch (30)notable wine list (30)good for groups (30)neighborhood gem (18)great for brunch (11)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Ambiance not the FoodPL2013Dined on 11/22/2014The view day or night is terrific from Top of the Market. The room is elegant and the servers are engaging and helpful. The food just doesn't live up to the setting. I would come back for a cocktail and appetizer but not dinner.
- fantastic, fantastiC, fantastic!!!!!GeorgeLinMSTCPADined on 11/22/2014I took the family and a friend here to celebrate a birthday and it was fantastic. the food and service was excellent. We had a window seat and it was nice. I will have to come back for lunch to see the harbor in its full view. if you love seafood you cannot miss this place, the more economic version is below the restaurant, but the Top is for the fine dining. Please don't miss this place if you are ever iN seaporT Village. BTW, i am from los angeles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Short notice reservation and great service.JamesDined on 11/18/2014Good food, great view and fabulous service. Short notice reservation and we still got a window seat overlookiing San Diego Harbor and Coronado Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fish restaurant and view.NobigdealDined on 11/16/2014Food, service, and view are all great. Top of the Market is on our list of favorite restaurants for fish along with Water Grill in Los Angeles and Oceana in New York City - and the view is FAR better than the other two!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding viewPoodleDined on 11/11/2014Top of The Market has been a main stay in our family for years. It is an excellent place to celebrate a family event; birthday, anniversary, etc. The service is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday reviewSDgoodspotDined on 11/8/2014It was a special birthday celebration and this restaurant and staff made the night perfect! We had the seafood platter appetizer and filet (surf and turf) and split it and it was perfect and the birthday dessert was a perfect way to end the meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMY....AGAINBigfoodieDined on 11/8/2014Top of the Market is a first pick for special occasions. As usual the food, service and view was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood...elegant diningPatitudeDined on 11/7/2014We went to the restaurant mainly because of the view. It did not let us down. In addition, the food and service was excellent. Great fresh seafood in SanDiego!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Diego conferencePoppaBruceVIPDined on 11/7/2014Wonderful. Had the Caesar salad - creamy, cheese slices anchovies on the side. Nice touch. Wife had Louvar - very seldom on menu. Great was between Halibut and Swordfish. Perfectly prepared. I had spiny lobster. Wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouisaDined on 11/1/2014The service was absolutely AWFUL. We were there for 2 hours (limited by the parking meter) and we finally had to jettison even getting dessert ...) It is a very expensive place so we only go on rare occasions and the service being leisurely is not a drawback because we go during the day end enjoy the view but this was so terrible that I mentioned it to the staff. It wasn't the server's fault but the management's apparently....Special Features:
- Wonderful way to celebrate!TJFilleyDined on 10/31/2014We got engaged earlier in the day and went here for our celebration dinner. What a wonderful choice! Fantastic good, great service and they even gave us a wonderful tiramisu cake for dessert! Highly recommended. We will be back for our anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the Market is the tops!MacazzDined on 10/29/2014We really enjoy eating at Top of the Market. The views can be beautiful and the food is always outstanding. It is a bit more on the high side for price for our budget, so we only go there for special occasions or when out of town visitors come in. Highly recommended for food, service, and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tori3Dined on 10/28/2014I hadn't been to Top of the Market for a very long time. I decided to bring someone who'd just arrived from a chilly Minnesota. It was great to sit on the enclosed balcony and enjoy the sun while having a delicious meal. Food was terrific, very nice service, quiet for good conversation.Special Features:
- Excellent Service and FoodFoodLoverDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I really enjoyed the view, service and food. We were in San Diego for business and decided to dine afterwards. We've dined at many restaurants in San Diego and found this one to be special. We recommend this one highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is worth it.FoodluvaDined on 10/25/2014The food is what saved this experience. Probably the best seafood I've ever had. Lobster bisque was out of this world. Oyster shooters were amazing. Ink linguini was the perfect supplement to the scallops and what I can only describe as succulent shrimp. Key lime pie was the perfect end. However, our waiter was not good. Brought us our bill at the end, thinking he had comped us our desserts, I was ready to dish out a pretty awesome tip. That was until he returned with my credit card, informed me he had forgotten to add the desserts, and had already run my card before updating me with the new total! Awkward and disappointing end to an amazing meal. Go for the food, but not for the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunsets in San DiegoRonaldDined on 10/22/2014Go early and ask for outside table so you can experience the sunset. Food and service is top drawer. Entrees are a bit pricy. Crab cakes are very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Past Excellence Not This NightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2014All past experience has been excellent. But we hope our recent visit proves to be a aberration. The good: Service was, as always, outstanding. Very attentive without being annoying. The not so good: Our party of five each had a different fish selection; the fish itself well prepared. But for some reason each selection is accompanied with a "salsa" or sauce poured on top which masks the delicate flavor of the fresh fish. Keep it simple, let the fish stand on its own. The portion of each entrée seemed smaller than usual. This place was a bit loud, lots of background noise, enhanced by a young child next to us who let out shrill screams every minute or so when she didn't get her way. We'll try one more time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Commanding View of the BayNadoBobVIPDined on 10/22/2014If you are from out of town and you want a commanding view of the Bay this is one of maybe three restaurants that would top my list. We are locals but manage to visit this restaurant at least twice a year, usually for lunch. The entre portions are generous. My wife had the fish and chips with a small salad and fries included. The fish was nicely fried and was a beautiful white cod. She had three large pieces on our her plate which is more than one person can eat. I had the swordfish tacos with a salad on the plate and they were delicious. The salsa as furnished was mostly onions and not very tasty; but I asked the waiter for Mexi-Pep condiment and that worked just. Wine by the glass is expensive and the beer selection weak.Special Features:
- A+ in all respectsDavidBDined on 10/19/2014We were celebrating two birthdays and everything about Top of the Market was perfect. Well, except for the madhouse parking situation - valet was full when we arrived. I don't think one can get fresher fish anywhere in SD, well prepared and presented, and very good service. We arrived exactly on time for our reservation and were taken to the requested table immediately. And, of course, sitting right on the water, the venue can't be beat!Special Features:
- Oustanding ServicePickyPickyDined on 10/17/2014Our server made my husband's 40th Birthday very memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion DinnerCookmrDined on 10/17/2014Wonderful experience. Great ambiance. Nice menu. Deck tables quieter than inside restaurant and better view with breeze off the water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodrobeckDined on 10/17/2014swordfish for my guest, some scallops for me - both perfectly cooked and nicely presented, Service not to fast, not to slow...goldilocksSpecial Features:
- Wonderful Business DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/16/2014Brought Clients for a business dinner and had an outstanding experience. From the minute we arrived, we were taken care of and made to feel like everyone was glad we were there. Food was absolutely delicious, and plates were so beautiful, that our Client was taking pictures for her "foodie" daughter. The Server knew everything about the food, from sources to preparations. Great wine list (recognized by both Wine Spectator and Enthusiast). All of this, plus a spectacular view of the bay/harbor. We all left talking about how excellent the experience had been. Special "kudos" to Cliff behind the bar for his perfect martinis and meticulously prepared cappucinos. It was hard to leave, and I can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional ExperienceRichGDined on 10/15/2014We arrived about ten minutes early for our reservation and were seated immediately at the type of table requested. Our server was great and right on top of everything. My wife and I both agreed that it was one of the best meals we have had in years - the food was fresh, beautifully presented and the flavors were exceptional. We are already talking about making another trip to San Diego and this restaurant. Not one complaint. It is a bit expensive but true to the old adage, you get what you pay for, and our experience was worth every penny.Special Features:
- Perfect Place for a Birthday DubberNancyJDined on 10/13/2014My husband and I celebrated my birthday at Top of the Market and wondered why we don't come here often! The location, food, and service were all exceptional. This is easily one of our favorites among the wealth of fine dining experiences in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulBarryDined on 10/7/2014Time your reservation with the sunset, you will not be disappointed. Service was great, and the food was memorable. It is not cheap, but you def get what you pay for here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fresh seafoodPaulDined on 10/5/2014Our cab driver told us we had picked best seafood resturant in San Diego and he was right. Fish was fresh, service was great. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the Market is TOP NOTCHSDdinerDined on 10/4/2014I've been dining at the Top of the Market for over 25 years. ALWAYS a great experience. Fantastic special occasion restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014We have come here at least once a year since our first date in 2001. This time calamari was chewy and pieces were too big. Service was a bit slow, but place was busy. Finally they brought our entrees, but did not bring our soup and salad first. We had to wait longer. Outside patio is okay, but anytime door opens, there is a big gust of wind. Not sure if we are going to continue our tradition.
- A Great Place For DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/29/2014My wife and I had a great meal for my birthday. She had scallops and I had the Chiopinni with loads of crab, mussels and shrimp over linguini. The Oysters Rockefeller were also tremendous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 stars across the boardthefolksDined on 9/26/2014My wife and I enjoy special meals at the Top of the Market, service has always been spectacular, the chef know's how to make flavors sing. We also enjoy using this restaurant to show off our beautiful city to out of town guests. Top of the Market has become our favorite restaurant around town, above Donovan's, Peohe's, George's etc...The deep flavors in the Bisque and the Cioppino hold an explosion of flavor without being overwhelming with a delightful after taste that just melts the palate. You see sometimes in fine dining the atmosphere can make some of us (not so rich folk) feel out of place, we cannot afford meals at this price as often as we like.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014We had a very good dinner, the food was geat, the service superb.Special Features:
- Incredible Meal and Serviceamanda0109Dined on 9/21/2014We both agreed, before the meal was even over, that this was one of the best meals we have ever had! Wonderful food and wonderful service. Our waitress recommended the Crab Cake and it is a "Must Have." King Crab, Oysters, Lobster Bisque - all delicious. Go, splurge, and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BayGemDined on 9/21/2014We went to celebrate our wedding anniversary, this place has great ambience being by the bay and USS Midway museum being the neighbor. The customer service is hospitable, friendly and attentive. We went during restaurant week and our selected food were delicious. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good and very priceyTheRubesDined on 9/17/2014I've eaten here about 3 times. Atmosphere is great, and exceptional service on par with pricey, upscale dining. Definitely a place to impress. HOWEVER...things to consider: Typical of upscale dishes, the portions are on small side yet very uniquely flavorful. But not always 100% on some dishes. Recently had awful, chewy calamari appetizer lacking quality and flavor. In general, given the price/quality difference between Top of the Mkt and Fish Mkt downstairs - where I have eaten at least 20 times before - I will choose Fish Mkt anytime. You spend $15-$25 less per dish for food that is very exceptional too. But if cost is not a major factor and you want to upgrade the event, then it is worth trying. It will be a worthwhile experience.Special Features:
- LHSMDIDined on 9/17/2014Love the concept - wish we had similar here on the coast of Maine. One can enter Top of the Market directly by an outdoor staircase or by entering the lower restaurant, the Fish Market. Just inside the door is the market - an artful display of fresh caught fish. We dined at the bar one night where the view is the kitchen. Fun to watch the skill and efficiency of the talented crew. We returned two nights later to enjoy a table on the glassed in patio overlooking the harbor - a more relaxed atmosphere - but we were pleased to have experienced both. A plus - the mile walk from our bay front hotel along the harbor to the restaurant made for a lovely pre and post dinner stroll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place has it all.klmurrayDined on 9/13/2014We went there for our anniversary and it was outstanding. Food, Service, View, this place has it all.Special Features:
- Top of the Market & The MidwaypasadenafoodieDined on 9/12/2014Had a wonderful time celebrating my wife's birthday. Service was excellent as well as the food. Wonderful views of the harbor and the Midway. All topped off with a fantastic fireworks from the Midway. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roll of the dice.cesarDined on 9/12/2014When trying a new restaurant you always take a chance. With the Top of the Market I hit it big, great food nice view from the outside glass patio it was a night to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but inconsistentchucknsdDined on 9/8/2014I visited Top of the Market a few weeks ago and enjoyed a wonderful Fillet Mignon and some wine. Steak was cooked to perfection (medium rare) just as I like it. I decided to try the restaurant again a few days ago when a friend was visiting. I ordered the same meal (Fillet Mignon) and it came out medium to medium well and it tasted like the steak was cooked the day before and microwaved. I was with my friend and we were enjoying the evening and did not want to make a fuss. But I don't think I will be ordering the steak anymore. Also, the service this time around was lacking. Overall I still like the restaurant due to its location but they need to get the service issues under control and food quality/consistency in check.Special Features: