Top of the Market
750 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Top of the Market
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thefishmarket.com/topofthemarket.aspx
- Phone: 6192344867x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:45pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday-Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Ivan Flowers
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private room that seats up to 24 people.
- Private Party Contact: Samantha Gullixson 6192344867x
- Cross Street: Pacific Coast Highway and W. Broadway
- Public Transit: We are two blocks from the Sante Fe Depot station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The lot directly in front of our restaurant is metered & monitored by the Port of San Diego seven days a week from 8am-6pm. The meters accept quarters and City of SD Parking Meter Debit Cards. It is $2.50 for the two hour maximum. We offer valet service that is $10 for our guests and available seven days a week from 11am until closing. Should either of these options be unavailable there are two additional public lots located on Pacific Coast Highway and W. Broadway.
A word from Top of the Market
Top of the Market offers an extensive variety of fresh fish, oysters and shellfish with a sophisticated twist. Views of San Diego Bay, Coronado and Point Loma make Top of the Market the ideal location to dine when in San DiegoContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Top of the Market - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Top of the Market reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (153)special occasion (111)romantic (97)great for outdoor dining (79)fit for foodies (67)notable wine list (45)great for lunch (33)good for groups (32)great for brunch (28)neighborhood gem (15)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)Show More
- Nicest tablenickzenDined on 8/26/2014Been there a couple of times and the food and service have always been outstanding. We had (by chance) a table on the outside, facing the bay and away from any noise. I prefer tables outside as i think the A/C is too cold inside.Special Features:
- FantasticFabtasticfoodFamilyDined on 8/22/2014The food was fantastic, the waitress was very charasmatic, and we added a great wine to our weekend shopping selection. Our son Had a delicious s'more that was roasted at our table. Everyone went home with smiling faces and wonderfull memories of the fish market onSan Diego bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service - not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Top of the market was recommended to us by the concierge at our hotel since we were looking for a nice evening out to celebrate our anniversary. From the online photos, the restaurant looked like it fit the bill. Unfortunately, the service was was too casual, we were rushed through our meal by the food coming in rapid-fire succession (main course delivered about 5 minutes after our appetizer).Special Features:
- Nice dinnerHotperroDined on 8/21/2014We had a nice dinner we were seated in The veranda with great view of The bay . The food was nicely presented And The ambiance quiet. Bill was proportionated to The food quality .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerjmathisDined on 8/17/2014My husband and I enjoyed our recent anniversary dinner at The Top of the Market. We sat outside on the deck which was quite lovely and enjoyed the sun glistening on the water and watching the sailboats go by. The waiter was attentive and informative. We both had the salmon which was just right. Because it was our anniversary, the restaurant surprised us with a chocolate dish that was rich and tasty. We decided to go ahead an order their key lime pie to share which was also rich and very tasty. We had a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Sunset diningPicenoDined on 8/16/2014Great view, wonderful staff and food was excellent! When back in town we will make it a point to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow ServicewhocareswhoiamVIPDined on 8/15/2014Generally this is a favorite seafood dining spot, always fresh fish. We ordered a bottle of white wine and a seafood platter for two. The wine was delivered promptly. Sadly, the platter arrived 50 minutes later. We requested cocktail sauce and that was delivered AFTER we finished. Caleb, our server, was nice but honestly the food should have been delivered so that we could have enjoyed it WITH THE WINE. Also the white wine should have been served in an ice bucket so it would stay chilled while we dined. So we hoped to enjoy wine and seafood platter together, but ended up enjoying lukewarm wine with bread, seafood without cocktail sauce. Disappointing this visit.
- Service from employees excellent!DollyDined on 8/14/2014The whole evening was pleasant from beginning to end - and my birthday dessert with a candle was not only fun, but elegant and delicious!Special Features:
- Love this place.ChrisyClaraDined on 8/11/2014Always a great selection of fish - cooked to perfection. Add in all the healthy sides and you are good to go!! Great view - nice staff - easy to find. Its my go-to recommendation for out of town-ers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dineroutDined on 8/10/2014Fresh fish in an upscale, relaxed atmosphere. Far better than eating at the Fish Market Downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rockDined on 8/9/2014WONDERFUL WILL GO BACK OFTEN WHEN WE GO TO THE CONCERTS IN S. D.Special Features:
- Top Of The Market Is Tops!IlikesteakDined on 8/5/2014I have not eaten at the Top Of The Market for several years. I decided to try it for my anniversary. Both the food, service and location were first class. Down stair at The Fish Market was a zoo. I guess it's very popular with both tourist and locals. If you want a more romantic evening. Try the Top.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014We love the ambience of this restaurant. The view of the San Diego Harbor are wonderful. The food is great and service outstanding.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysUcitykidDined on 7/31/2014Visit SD every 6 months or so & never miss a visit to this restaurant. Seafood fresh & superb & wine list exceptional.Special Features:
- Outside Patio table water view!katy101VIPDined on 7/27/2014Ladies dinner outside on the patio, wonderful sitting on top of the water. We split a salad and a pasta dish and both were delicious. They have a very nice wine list as well. Would recommend taking out of towners here...I always bring my guests here for a real treat!Special Features:
- mach2VIPDined on 7/26/2014Best service ever! We were late & told waitress we needed to be done in 45 minutes. She made it work but no compromise in food or service. Smiles from her the entire time. And, sad to say I've forgotten her name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/25/2014We chose Top of the Market for a business dinner with a party of 6. It took a half an hour before we for our drinks and another half an hour to get appetizers. The food awash fantastic everyone loved what they ordered and the view was amazing. Wish the service had been quicker, but it was a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Seafood RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014Outstanding seafood, great service and a great wine list...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my favorite downtown eateryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2014the seafood platter is outstanding. whenever i'm downtown ( i live in North County Inland but) I make a point to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunset DinnerebradshawDined on 7/21/2014If you look up what time sunset will occur and place a reservation for that time, your in for a breathtaking dinner! Just remember to breathe, and chew, and sip, too. We had a wonderful time- the sea bass and swordfish were spectacular, and the crabcake was a terrific starter. They even had a Saison that I had been meaning to try- and it was great. The server was quiet and yet friendly, was keeping an eye on us and yet gave us a bit of space to enjoy our evening, which we needed. It was our 7th anniversary and it was possibly the best dinner we'd had since our wedding. Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top of the MarketdbleL2Dined on 7/19/2014Special Wedding Anniversary dinner made more special by the views, service and great food! Highly recommend Top of the Market!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaddleBrookefoodieSaddleBrookefoodieDined on 7/19/2014What a terrific dinner! Our server, Apryl, was attentive but not intrusive as we had a shared crabcake appetizer, separate sea bass entrees, and a shared dessert. The by-the-glass wine list was extensive--not the usual two or three offerings. The view of San Diego Bay was spectacular at sunset. Although other reviewers have pegged this as an expensive restaurant, we felt that the prices were in line with the offerings. Indeed, this is NOT Red Lobster dining! Fish Market downstairs offers a lower-priced menu as well as fish for sale. Definitely, we will return to Top of the Fish Market for a topnotch experience.Special Features:
- The fresh fish is outstandingwalleyewizardDined on 7/18/2014We have eaten at the Fish Market many times before, however this was our first time to the Top of the Market, to begin with the view is spectacular, the service is excellent, and the food is out of this world. A great place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationJudyDined on 7/12/2014A group of 9 of us went to the Top of the Market to celebrate my husband's 75th birthday. We got there a little early but were promptly seated. The service was excellent & the food superb. They brought a small dessert with a candle so we could sing Happy Birthday. My husband loved it. Many thanks to our server for being around when we needed him but not hovering too close.Special Features:
- Great for Special Occasions!phxfoodguruDined on 7/12/2014I took my girlfriend here for her birthday, and she loved it! Our view was amazing and the food was delicious. Our waiter was very professional. I can't wait to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School Style on The WaterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014An old school staple but it holds up. The food was tasty...highly recommend the ciopinno. While decor is just a tad dated by today's trendy standards it remains classic and skips all the noise. You can actually have a conversation! Service was very attentive and the wine list is extensive with a good array at various price points. Definitely will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining in SDajg5000Dined on 7/11/2014We come here on every visit to SD.... great food and some beautiful sunsetsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always satisfyingChrisDined on 7/10/2014My husband and I live in Arizona. We have been coming to this restaurant for almost 20 years. We flew in for the evening just to eat here. The seafood is outstanding! It is expensive but totally worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AgainAnonymousVIPDined on 7/5/2014The view, the service and wonderful food all make the parking snarl worth it. The restaurant is aware of the problem & tries to make the effort of getting there worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five Star FOOD One star SERVICEMichaelVIPDined on 7/4/2014Ate here on the 4th of July, entertaining guests from Florida. 5 of us created a total bill of $260.00 which is about average for a great restaurant. What was unexpected was slow, distracted service which create glasses sitting empty, dirty dishes sitting for 15 or so minutes while waiting to order desert, all with an empty restaurant at 3PM. If you are looking for five star food and can tolerate poor one star service this is the place.Special Features:
- Incredible experienceGoodNeighborVIPDined on 7/1/2014Fabulous crab Louis and the presentation is outstanding. You must sit outside to experience the true view... Will be back soon.Special Features:
- Super EveningBaldingDined on 6/28/2014We love going to Top of the Market when we are in town. Always great food and service.Special Features:
- Good food, good service.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014Tables are a little too cramped, so I won't say it's romantic. But overall it's good food, good service and a great location/ view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Longstanding GEMKTmhVIPDined on 6/27/2014We have visited Top of the Market on nearly every trip to San Diego over the past 20 years and it has never disappointed. Food was wonderful and service was particularly great. I love this place.Special Features:
- Top Drawer meal all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/26/2014Just a great restaurant, food was excellent and served on the shores overlooking the pacific. Service was spot on. One of the best meals we have had anywhere. King crab was full meal, Chiapinno was more than you could eat and everything was cooked perfectly. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as UsualLMTabinDined on 6/25/2014Top of the Market was amazing as usual. I went for lunch with a friend and we started with a fresh and delicious seafood tower, and each enjoyed a cocktail. We then each ordered the swordfish tacos, which were equally as delicious. Our server was great and didn't rush us, as we often chat and take our time to order each course. We finished with a gigantic creme brulee, which was a fantastic way to finish to our meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly what I was looking forSDFoodieVIPDined on 6/22/2014Wanted a special place for to celebrate daughters 18th bday and hgh school graduation. This was perfect. The service, view, food and general ambiance were all exactly what I was looking for. It was expensive, but the portions were huge and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish with a viewBritinNCDined on 6/17/2014Great location on the waterfront with fresh fish dishes and great service. Active and noisy but some great outside seating options. Would visit again when in San DiegoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return againGaDiDined on 6/15/2014It has not been my first time and will not be my last timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, poor lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014I heard great reviews about Top of the Market. My friends are avid fans of the place. So I decided to take my dad for lunch for Father's Day. My dad enjoyed his salmon on a simple salad. However, the calamari was not crispy enough and it was kind of chewy. I ordered the asparagus and the scallops. The presentation was great, but the scallops were under cooked even when I asked for it to be recooked. Not such a great experience for me.Special Features: