Top of the Market
750 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Top of the Market
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thefishmarket.com/topofthemarket.aspx
- Phone: 6192344867x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:45pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday-Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Ivan Flowers
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private room that seats up to 24 people.
- Private Party Contact: Samantha Gullixson 6192344867x
- Cross Street: Pacific Coast Highway and W. Broadway
- Public Transit: We are two blocks from the Sante Fe Depot station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The lot directly in front of our restaurant is metered & monitored by the Port of San Diego seven days a week from 10am-8pm. The meters accept quarters and City of SD Parking Meter Debit Cards. It is $3.50 for the two hour maximum. We offer valet service that is $10 for our guests and available seven days a week from 11am until closing. Should either of these options be unavailable there are two additional public lots located on Pacific Coast Highway and W. Broadway.
A word from Top of the Market
Top of the Market offers an extensive variety of fresh fish, oysters and shellfish with a sophisticated twist. Views of San Diego Bay, Coronado and Point Loma make Top of the Market the ideal location to dine when in San DiegoContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Top of the Market - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Top of the Market reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (132)special occasion (103)romantic (83)great for outdoor dining (70)fit for foodies (67)notable wine list (35)great for lunch (32)good for groups (25)great for brunch (20)neighborhood gem (17)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)Show More
- A+ in all respectsDavidBDined on 10/19/2014We were celebrating two birthdays and everything about Top of the Market was perfect. Well, except for the madhouse parking situation - valet was full when we arrived. I don't think one can get fresher fish anywhere in SD, well prepared and presented, and very good service. We arrived exactly on time for our reservation and were taken to the requested table immediately. And, of course, sitting right on the water, the venue can't be beat!Special Features:
- Oustanding ServicePickyPickyDined on 10/17/2014Our server made my husband's 40th Birthday very memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Wonderful experience. Great ambiance. Nice menu. Deck tables quieter than inside restaurant and better view with breeze off the water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodrobeckDined on 10/17/2014swordfish for my guest, some scallops for me - both perfectly cooked and nicely presented, Service not to fast, not to slow...goldilocksSpecial Features:
- Wonderful Business DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/16/2014Brought Clients for a business dinner and had an outstanding experience. From the minute we arrived, we were taken care of and made to feel like everyone was glad we were there. Food was absolutely delicious, and plates were so beautiful, that our Client was taking pictures for her "foodie" daughter. The Server knew everything about the food, from sources to preparations. Great wine list (recognized by both Wine Spectator and Enthusiast). All of this, plus a spectacular view of the bay/harbor. We all left talking about how excellent the experience had been. Special "kudos" to Cliff behind the bar for his perfect martinis and meticulously prepared cappucinos. It was hard to leave, and I can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional ExperienceRichGDined on 10/15/2014We arrived about ten minutes early for our reservation and were seated immediately at the type of table requested. Our server was great and right on top of everything. My wife and I both agreed that it was one of the best meals we have had in years - the food was fresh, beautifully presented and the flavors were exceptional. We are already talking about making another trip to San Diego and this restaurant. Not one complaint. It is a bit expensive but true to the old adage, you get what you pay for, and our experience was worth every penny.Special Features:
- Perfect Place for a Birthday DubberNancyJDined on 10/13/2014My husband and I celebrated my birthday at Top of the Market and wondered why we don't come here often! The location, food, and service were all exceptional. This is easily one of our favorites among the wealth of fine dining experiences in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulBarryDined on 10/7/2014Time your reservation with the sunset, you will not be disappointed. Service was great, and the food was memorable. It is not cheap, but you def get what you pay for here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fresh seafoodPaulDined on 10/5/2014Our cab driver told us we had picked best seafood resturant in San Diego and he was right. Fish was fresh, service was great. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the Market is TOP NOTCHSDdinerDined on 10/4/2014I've been dining at the Top of the Market for over 25 years. ALWAYS a great experience. Fantastic special occasion restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014We have come here at least once a year since our first date in 2001. This time calamari was chewy and pieces were too big. Service was a bit slow, but place was busy. Finally they brought our entrees, but did not bring our soup and salad first. We had to wait longer. Outside patio is okay, but anytime door opens, there is a big gust of wind. Not sure if we are going to continue our tradition.
- A Great Place For DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/29/2014My wife and I had a great meal for my birthday. She had scallops and I had the Chiopinni with loads of crab, mussels and shrimp over linguini. The Oysters Rockefeller were also tremendous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 stars across the boardthefolksDined on 9/26/2014My wife and I enjoy special meals at the Top of the Market, service has always been spectacular, the chef know's how to make flavors sing. We also enjoy using this restaurant to show off our beautiful city to out of town guests. Top of the Market has become our favorite restaurant around town, above Donovan's, Peohe's, George's etc...The deep flavors in the Bisque and the Cioppino hold an explosion of flavor without being overwhelming with a delightful after taste that just melts the palate. You see sometimes in fine dining the atmosphere can make some of us (not so rich folk) feel out of place, we cannot afford meals at this price as often as we like.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014We had a very good dinner, the food was geat, the service superb.Special Features:
- Incredible Meal and Serviceamanda0109Dined on 9/21/2014We both agreed, before the meal was even over, that this was one of the best meals we have ever had! Wonderful food and wonderful service. Our waitress recommended the Crab Cake and it is a "Must Have." King Crab, Oysters, Lobster Bisque - all delicious. Go, splurge, and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BayGemDined on 9/21/2014We went to celebrate our wedding anniversary, this place has great ambience being by the bay and USS Midway museum being the neighbor. The customer service is hospitable, friendly and attentive. We went during restaurant week and our selected food were delicious. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good and very priceyTheRubesDined on 9/17/2014I've eaten here about 3 times. Atmosphere is great, and exceptional service on par with pricey, upscale dining. Definitely a place to impress. HOWEVER...things to consider: Typical of upscale dishes, the portions are on small side yet very uniquely flavorful. But not always 100% on some dishes. Recently had awful, chewy calamari appetizer lacking quality and flavor. In general, given the price/quality difference between Top of the Mkt and Fish Mkt downstairs - where I have eaten at least 20 times before - I will choose Fish Mkt anytime. You spend $15-$25 less per dish for food that is very exceptional too. But if cost is not a major factor and you want to upgrade the event, then it is worth trying. It will be a worthwhile experience.Special Features:
- LHSMDIDined on 9/17/2014Love the concept - wish we had similar here on the coast of Maine. One can enter Top of the Market directly by an outdoor staircase or by entering the lower restaurant, the Fish Market. Just inside the door is the market - an artful display of fresh caught fish. We dined at the bar one night where the view is the kitchen. Fun to watch the skill and efficiency of the talented crew. We returned two nights later to enjoy a table on the glassed in patio overlooking the harbor - a more relaxed atmosphere - but we were pleased to have experienced both. A plus - the mile walk from our bay front hotel along the harbor to the restaurant made for a lovely pre and post dinner stroll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place has it all.klmurrayDined on 9/13/2014We went there for our anniversary and it was outstanding. Food, Service, View, this place has it all.Special Features:
- Top of the Market & The MidwaypasadenafoodieDined on 9/12/2014Had a wonderful time celebrating my wife's birthday. Service was excellent as well as the food. Wonderful views of the harbor and the Midway. All topped off with a fantastic fireworks from the Midway. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roll of the dice.cesarDined on 9/12/2014When trying a new restaurant you always take a chance. With the Top of the Market I hit it big, great food nice view from the outside glass patio it was a night to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but inconsistentchucknsdDined on 9/8/2014I visited Top of the Market a few weeks ago and enjoyed a wonderful Fillet Mignon and some wine. Steak was cooked to perfection (medium rare) just as I like it. I decided to try the restaurant again a few days ago when a friend was visiting. I ordered the same meal (Fillet Mignon) and it came out medium to medium well and it tasted like the steak was cooked the day before and microwaved. I was with my friend and we were enjoying the evening and did not want to make a fuss. But I don't think I will be ordering the steak anymore. Also, the service this time around was lacking. Overall I still like the restaurant due to its location but they need to get the service issues under control and food quality/consistency in check.Special Features:
- AntonioAntonioDined on 9/8/2014Nice ambiance, food is delightful, i had the ink linguini with scallops and shrimps really good, my wife had the sole a bit dry but good. The service is excellent......I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints.4xsfunDined on 9/5/2014Celebrating my boyfriends military retirement after 32 years ...Air Force Col. After many official parties of recognition, we could think of no other perfect place than Top of the Market, so we flew in from Fort Worth TX. Outstanding service and Chino Farms veggies are always a treat. Memorable, every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodFrankieKVIPDined on 8/31/2014We stop in on a regular basis and the seafood is always great. If I have to knock them on anything it would be their desserts. There is no consistency especially the the creme brule which has not been set twice now. We will continue to dine here to enjoy great fish but will skip dessert going forward. Overall a great place to dine.Special Features:
- Best ever crabcakes, ever! Ever !!MauitravelVIPDined on 8/31/2014everything else was amazing as well but the reason I'm going on and on about the crabcakes is because the crab is not drenched in filler. It's just a heap of fresh crab. OMG!Special Features:
- Back AgainLvgatorfanDined on 8/30/2014We found this restaurant first time we went to San Diego some 10 or 15 years ago Every time we visit we eat here Have never been disappointed Wife had a lobster tail that was to die for I had blacken swordfish that was seasoned just right (not over spicy or to blacken) and was very tender We have always loved eating here Waiter was really goodSpecial Features:
- Top NotchBenTVIPDined on 8/28/20142nd time here, and just as good as the first. First rate service for starters, the staff is very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We can be difficult in that we like to make substitutions, or special food prep, and the server and kitchen did not even blink. The seafood platter was perfect, with very healthy portions, and they made a special seafood pasta dish that was a combo of two of the ones on the menu (squid ink linguini with scallops and prawns, but with the sauce and veggies from another pasta). The scallops were cooked to perfection, just amazing, and the chipotle cream sauce was delicious. The views of the water from TotM are also exquisite. In our view, this is a must stop place anytime we are visiting San Diego.Special Features:
- On vacation1abouttownDined on 8/27/2014Live in San Diego but alwaays feel like I,m on vacation when at the Fish Market, upstairs. The food is outstanding, but when you add the habor views the friendly service it moves beyond the ordinary. Great place to lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Nicest tablenickzenDined on 8/26/2014Been there a couple of times and the food and service have always been outstanding. We had (by chance) a table on the outside, facing the bay and away from any noise. I prefer tables outside as i think the A/C is too cold inside.Special Features:
- FantasticFabtasticfoodFamilyDined on 8/22/2014The food was fantastic, the waitress was very charasmatic, and we added a great wine to our weekend shopping selection. Our son Had a delicious s'more that was roasted at our table. Everyone went home with smiling faces and wonderfull memories of the fish market onSan Diego bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service - not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Top of the market was recommended to us by the concierge at our hotel since we were looking for a nice evening out to celebrate our anniversary. From the online photos, the restaurant looked like it fit the bill. Unfortunately, the service was was too casual, we were rushed through our meal by the food coming in rapid-fire succession (main course delivered about 5 minutes after our appetizer).Special Features:
- Nice dinnerHotperroDined on 8/21/2014We had a nice dinner we were seated in The veranda with great view of The bay . The food was nicely presented And The ambiance quiet. Bill was proportionated to The food quality .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerjmathisDined on 8/17/2014My husband and I enjoyed our recent anniversary dinner at The Top of the Market. We sat outside on the deck which was quite lovely and enjoyed the sun glistening on the water and watching the sailboats go by. The waiter was attentive and informative. We both had the salmon which was just right. Because it was our anniversary, the restaurant surprised us with a chocolate dish that was rich and tasty. We decided to go ahead an order their key lime pie to share which was also rich and very tasty. We had a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Sunset diningPicenoDined on 8/16/2014Great view, wonderful staff and food was excellent! When back in town we will make it a point to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChoicemattbDined on 8/16/2014My parents visited from Chicago and wanted a nice seafood dinner. Food was excellent. Quick & timely service. Amazing views on the water. Everything was up to the standard of a very nice seafood diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow ServicewhocareswhoiamVIPDined on 8/15/2014Generally this is a favorite seafood dining spot, always fresh fish. We ordered a bottle of white wine and a seafood platter for two. The wine was delivered promptly. Sadly, the platter arrived 50 minutes later. We requested cocktail sauce and that was delivered AFTER we finished. Caleb, our server, was nice but honestly the food should have been delivered so that we could have enjoyed it WITH THE WINE. Also the white wine should have been served in an ice bucket so it would stay chilled while we dined. So we hoped to enjoy wine and seafood platter together, but ended up enjoying lukewarm wine with bread, seafood without cocktail sauce. Disappointing this visit.
- Service from employees excellent!DollyDined on 8/14/2014The whole evening was pleasant from beginning to end - and my birthday dessert with a candle was not only fun, but elegant and delicious!Special Features:
- Love this place.ChrisyClaraDined on 8/11/2014Always a great selection of fish - cooked to perfection. Add in all the healthy sides and you are good to go!! Great view - nice staff - easy to find. Its my go-to recommendation for out of town-ers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dineroutDined on 8/10/2014Fresh fish in an upscale, relaxed atmosphere. Far better than eating at the Fish Market Downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.