Top of the Market
750 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Top of the Market
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thefishmarket.com/topofthemarket.aspx
- Phone: 6192344867x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:45pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday-Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Ivan Flowers
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private room that seats up to 24 people.
- Private Party Contact: Samantha Gullixson 6192344867x
- Cross Street: Pacific Coast Highway and W. Broadway
- Public Transit: We are two blocks from the Sante Fe Depot station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The lot directly in front of our restaurant is metered & monitored by the Port of San Diego seven days a week from 10am-8pm. The meters accept quarters and City of SD Parking Meter Debit Cards. It is $3.50 for the two hour maximum. We offer valet service that is $10 for our guests and available seven days a week from 11am until closing. Should either of these options be unavailable there are two additional public lots located on Pacific Coast Highway and W. Broadway.
A word from Top of the Market
Top of the Market offers an extensive variety of fresh fish, oysters and shellfish with a sophisticated twist. Views of San Diego Bay, Coronado and Point Loma make Top of the Market the ideal location to dine when in San DiegoContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Top of the Market - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Top of the Market reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (138)special occasion (98)romantic (83)great for outdoor dining (69)fit for foodies (63)notable wine list (33)great for lunch (27)good for groups (26)great for brunch (21)neighborhood gem (11)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014Love the concept - wish we had similar here on the coast of Maine. One can enter Top of the Market directly by an outdoor staircase or by entering the lower restaurant, the Fish Market. Just inside the door is the market - an artful display of fresh caught fish. We dined at the bar one night where the view is the kitchen. Fun to watch the skill and efficiency of the talented crew. We returned two nights later to enjoy a table on the glassed in patio overlooking the harbor - a more relaxed atmosphere - but we were pleased to have experienced both. A plus - the mile walk from our bay front hotel along the harbor to the restaurant made for a lovely pre and post dinner stroll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place has it all.klmurrayDined on 9/13/2014We went there for our anniversary and it was outstanding. Food, Service, View, this place has it all.Special Features:
- Top of the Market & The MidwaypasadenafoodieDined on 9/12/2014Had a wonderful time celebrating my wife's birthday. Service was excellent as well as the food. Wonderful views of the harbor and the Midway. All topped off with a fantastic fireworks from the Midway. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roll of the dice.cesarDined on 9/12/2014When trying a new restaurant you always take a chance. With the Top of the Market I hit it big, great food nice view from the outside glass patio it was a night to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but inconsistentchucknsdDined on 9/8/2014I visited Top of the Market a few weeks ago and enjoyed a wonderful Fillet Mignon and some wine. Steak was cooked to perfection (medium rare) just as I like it. I decided to try the restaurant again a few days ago when a friend was visiting. I ordered the same meal (Fillet Mignon) and it came out medium to medium well and it tasted like the steak was cooked the day before and microwaved. I was with my friend and we were enjoying the evening and did not want to make a fuss. But I don't think I will be ordering the steak anymore. Also, the service this time around was lacking. Overall I still like the restaurant due to its location but they need to get the service issues under control and food quality/consistency in check.Special Features:
- AntonioAntonioDined on 9/8/2014Nice ambiance, food is delightful, i had the ink linguini with scallops and shrimps really good, my wife had the sole a bit dry but good. The service is excellent......I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints.4xsfunDined on 9/5/2014Celebrating my boyfriends military retirement after 32 years ...Air Force Col. After many official parties of recognition, we could think of no other perfect place than Top of the Market, so we flew in from Fort Worth TX. Outstanding service and Chino Farms veggies are always a treat. Memorable, every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ever crabcakes, ever! Ever !!MauitravelVIPDined on 8/31/2014everything else was amazing as well but the reason I'm going on and on about the crabcakes is because the crab is not drenched in filler. It's just a heap of fresh crab. OMG!Special Features:
- Back AgainLvgatorfanDined on 8/30/2014We found this restaurant first time we went to San Diego some 10 or 15 years ago Every time we visit we eat here Have never been disappointed Wife had a lobster tail that was to die for I had blacken swordfish that was seasoned just right (not over spicy or to blacken) and was very tender We have always loved eating here Waiter was really goodSpecial Features:
- Top NotchBenTVIPDined on 8/28/20142nd time here, and just as good as the first. First rate service for starters, the staff is very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We can be difficult in that we like to make substitutions, or special food prep, and the server and kitchen did not even blink. The seafood platter was perfect, with very healthy portions, and they made a special seafood pasta dish that was a combo of two of the ones on the menu (squid ink linguini with scallops and prawns, but with the sauce and veggies from another pasta). The scallops were cooked to perfection, just amazing, and the chipotle cream sauce was delicious. The views of the water from TotM are also exquisite. In our view, this is a must stop place anytime we are visiting San Diego.Special Features:
- On vacation1abouttownDined on 8/27/2014Live in San Diego but alwaays feel like I,m on vacation when at the Fish Market, upstairs. The food is outstanding, but when you add the habor views the friendly service it moves beyond the ordinary. Great place to lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Nicest tablenickzenDined on 8/26/2014Been there a couple of times and the food and service have always been outstanding. We had (by chance) a table on the outside, facing the bay and away from any noise. I prefer tables outside as i think the A/C is too cold inside.Special Features:
- FantasticFabtasticfoodFamilyDined on 8/22/2014The food was fantastic, the waitress was very charasmatic, and we added a great wine to our weekend shopping selection. Our son Had a delicious s'more that was roasted at our table. Everyone went home with smiling faces and wonderfull memories of the fish market onSan Diego bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service - not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Top of the market was recommended to us by the concierge at our hotel since we were looking for a nice evening out to celebrate our anniversary. From the online photos, the restaurant looked like it fit the bill. Unfortunately, the service was was too casual, we were rushed through our meal by the food coming in rapid-fire succession (main course delivered about 5 minutes after our appetizer).Special Features:
- Nice dinnerHotperroDined on 8/21/2014We had a nice dinner we were seated in The veranda with great view of The bay . The food was nicely presented And The ambiance quiet. Bill was proportionated to The food quality .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerjmathisDined on 8/17/2014My husband and I enjoyed our recent anniversary dinner at The Top of the Market. We sat outside on the deck which was quite lovely and enjoyed the sun glistening on the water and watching the sailboats go by. The waiter was attentive and informative. We both had the salmon which was just right. Because it was our anniversary, the restaurant surprised us with a chocolate dish that was rich and tasty. We decided to go ahead an order their key lime pie to share which was also rich and very tasty. We had a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Sunset diningPicenoDined on 8/16/2014Great view, wonderful staff and food was excellent! When back in town we will make it a point to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014My parents visited from Chicago and wanted a nice seafood dinner. Food was excellent. Quick & timely service. Amazing views on the water. Everything was up to the standard of a very nice seafood diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow ServicewhocareswhoiamVIPDined on 8/15/2014Generally this is a favorite seafood dining spot, always fresh fish. We ordered a bottle of white wine and a seafood platter for two. The wine was delivered promptly. Sadly, the platter arrived 50 minutes later. We requested cocktail sauce and that was delivered AFTER we finished. Caleb, our server, was nice but honestly the food should have been delivered so that we could have enjoyed it WITH THE WINE. Also the white wine should have been served in an ice bucket so it would stay chilled while we dined. So we hoped to enjoy wine and seafood platter together, but ended up enjoying lukewarm wine with bread, seafood without cocktail sauce. Disappointing this visit.
- Service from employees excellent!DollyDined on 8/14/2014The whole evening was pleasant from beginning to end - and my birthday dessert with a candle was not only fun, but elegant and delicious!Special Features:
- Love this place.ChrisyClaraDined on 8/11/2014Always a great selection of fish - cooked to perfection. Add in all the healthy sides and you are good to go!! Great view - nice staff - easy to find. Its my go-to recommendation for out of town-ers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dineroutDined on 8/10/2014Fresh fish in an upscale, relaxed atmosphere. Far better than eating at the Fish Market Downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rockDined on 8/9/2014WONDERFUL WILL GO BACK OFTEN WHEN WE GO TO THE CONCERTS IN S. D.Special Features:
- Top Of The Market Is Tops!IlikesteakDined on 8/5/2014I have not eaten at the Top Of The Market for several years. I decided to try it for my anniversary. Both the food, service and location were first class. Down stair at The Fish Market was a zoo. I guess it's very popular with both tourist and locals. If you want a more romantic evening. Try the Top.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014We love the ambience of this restaurant. The view of the San Diego Harbor are wonderful. The food is great and service outstanding.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysUcitykidDined on 7/31/2014Visit SD every 6 months or so & never miss a visit to this restaurant. Seafood fresh & superb & wine list exceptional.Special Features:
- Good choice for waterfront diningtravelbugatosuVIPDined on 7/30/2014The restaurant is divided into two sections: downstairs for moderate to expensive and upstairs for expensive to very expensive (but with a better view of the harbor activity. The service is very good, but the quality of the food is just so so. It's a pleasant place to take out of town visitors. The place is always packed, but we have rarely had to wait for a table. Having a reservation does not seem to expedite seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outside Patio table water view!katy101VIPDined on 7/27/2014Ladies dinner outside on the patio, wonderful sitting on top of the water. We split a salad and a pasta dish and both were delicious. They have a very nice wine list as well. Would recommend taking out of towners here...I always bring my guests here for a real treat!Special Features:
- mach2VIPDined on 7/26/2014Best service ever! We were late & told waitress we needed to be done in 45 minutes. She made it work but no compromise in food or service. Smiles from her the entire time. And, sad to say I've forgotten her name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/25/2014We chose Top of the Market for a business dinner with a party of 6. It took a half an hour before we for our drinks and another half an hour to get appetizers. The food awash fantastic everyone loved what they ordered and the view was amazing. Wish the service had been quicker, but it was a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Seafood RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014Outstanding seafood, great service and a great wine list...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my favorite downtown eateryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2014the seafood platter is outstanding. whenever i'm downtown ( i live in North County Inland but) I make a point to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunset DinnerebradshawDined on 7/21/2014If you look up what time sunset will occur and place a reservation for that time, your in for a breathtaking dinner! Just remember to breathe, and chew, and sip, too. We had a wonderful time- the sea bass and swordfish were spectacular, and the crabcake was a terrific starter. They even had a Saison that I had been meaning to try- and it was great. The server was quiet and yet friendly, was keeping an eye on us and yet gave us a bit of space to enjoy our evening, which we needed. It was our 7th anniversary and it was possibly the best dinner we'd had since our wedding. Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top of the MarketdbleL2Dined on 7/19/2014Special Wedding Anniversary dinner made more special by the views, service and great food! Highly recommend Top of the Market!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaddleBrookefoodieSaddleBrookefoodieDined on 7/19/2014What a terrific dinner! Our server, Apryl, was attentive but not intrusive as we had a shared crabcake appetizer, separate sea bass entrees, and a shared dessert. The by-the-glass wine list was extensive--not the usual two or three offerings. The view of San Diego Bay was spectacular at sunset. Although other reviewers have pegged this as an expensive restaurant, we felt that the prices were in line with the offerings. Indeed, this is NOT Red Lobster dining! Fish Market downstairs offers a lower-priced menu as well as fish for sale. Definitely, we will return to Top of the Fish Market for a topnotch experience.Special Features:
- The fresh fish is outstandingwalleyewizardDined on 7/18/2014We have eaten at the Fish Market many times before, however this was our first time to the Top of the Market, to begin with the view is spectacular, the service is excellent, and the food is out of this world. A great place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationJudyDined on 7/12/2014A group of 9 of us went to the Top of the Market to celebrate my husband's 75th birthday. We got there a little early but were promptly seated. The service was excellent & the food superb. They brought a small dessert with a candle so we could sing Happy Birthday. My husband loved it. Many thanks to our server for being around when we needed him but not hovering too close.Special Features:
- Great for Special Occasions!phxfoodguruDined on 7/12/2014I took my girlfriend here for her birthday, and she loved it! Our view was amazing and the food was delicious. Our waiter was very professional. I can't wait to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School Style on The WaterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014An old school staple but it holds up. The food was tasty...highly recommend the ciopinno. While decor is just a tad dated by today's trendy standards it remains classic and skips all the noise. You can actually have a conversation! Service was very attentive and the wine list is extensive with a good array at various price points. Definitely will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining in SDajg5000Dined on 7/11/2014We come here on every visit to SD.... great food and some beautiful sunsetsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.