7 East Bay Street
Savannah, GA 31401Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tondees.com/
- Phone: (912) 341-7427
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: James Taff
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Will cater your parties offsite with a variety of menu options specificly designed for the customer
- Private Party Facilities: Down stairs banquet room available. Seats 50 people and was the hub of the slave trading industry in the mid 1800"s. Proven to be a haunted area and lots of history. Perfect venue to host your special event
- Private Party Contact: Desi G. 6174800840
A word from Tondee's Tavern
Tondee's Tavern is located in haunted and very historic building in downtown Savannah. Origionally built in the 1850's as the bank for the central rail road of Geogia and later occupied by General Shermans forces on their historic march to the sea.Tondee's is known for their award winning fall of the bone Baby Back Ribs, that some travelers have discribed as "the best in the world." Also offered daily is local seafood and hand cut steaks that are made with Savannahs own local flavor. Tondee's is locally owned and also boast "Savannah's best Hamburger" that is again made daily with fresh ingredients. Great lunch specials, family friendly, local fresh daily, Happy hour 4-7 Monday thru Thursday. We will see you at Tondee's.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tondee's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (10)vibrant bar scene (6)good for groups (6)special occasion (5)fit for foodies (5)great for lunch (4)romantic (3)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Service over FoodDCfromSAVVIPDined on 11/15/2014A party of 8 had an early dinner here post the 2014 Food and Wine Festival. We were welcomed and seated almost immediately, though we were 20 minutes early for our reservation. The waiter took our drink order and the potato skins to share was an appetizer appreciated. The rest of the meal was a disappointment. An odd, mustard-based source graces both the ribs dishes and the pulled pork. We were hungry and tired, so we ate. But the memory of the place favors the location, the bar setting (multiple TVs and music blaring) and so-so food PLUS the attentive, friendly service. So go for the ambiance, not the food. They'll take care of you.
- Good place near the waterfrontVickiDined on 11/6/2014We had a good meal here which was very reasonably priced. Shrimp and grits and shrimp carbonara. The staff were very friendly, especially Trevor, our waiter. The facility was clean, noise level was acceptable and location was great. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- Local GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014My wife and I dined here during a visit to Savannah. A friend gave such great accolades, saying that he and his family was well taken care of during a rehearsal dinner, that I made sure to make it a point to visit. We were pleased by the intimate setting of the restaraunt. Our waitress, Tierra, was a very excited and vivacious girl who was incredibly knowledgeable about the menu and gauranteed us that my wife's gluten allergy would be accomadated. The food came out in a reasonable time and was incredibly delicious; I got the stuffed flounder and my wife got a Tondee's spin on a Southern classic, shrimp and grits. We enjoyed the food, our waitress, and if we make it down to Georgia again we will be make sure to stop by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service from the start!MadLuv4TondeesDined on 11/2/2014I have to say that Tondee's Tavern is now at the top of my list when it comes to recommendations. I was greeted by the door by an awesome guy named Chris who gave us some information about Tondee's menu and some of his favorites that he indulges in from time to time. As soon as we walked through the doors, a host immediately greeted and sat us! Our server's name was Raven and she was very bubbly and helpful when it came to questions about their food. She had a lot to say about the Salmon Sandwich and Onion Rings (which were to die for). After my friend and I finished our meals we tried the homemade cheesecake and it was great! I've never eaten cheesecake that didn't make me topple over afterwards until I went to Tondee's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bachelorette funDom1584Dined on 11/2/2014We came in to Tondee's in a group of 10 for my bachelorette weekend. We had lunch on our last day of the trip, sadly, because this is one of the best places that we ate at the whole weekend. Everyone really enjoyed their meal and the bloody Mary's were awesome! Also the staff was very accommodating and understanding as my maid of honor has a terrible gluten allergy. The shrimp and grits were perfect! We will def stop back next time we're in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best thing in savannahKimber13Dined on 11/2/2014My husband and I thought to try something new. Tondees seemed to be that resturant. We came in with a "welcome committee" as they put it which was really live already *first star. Second star was the service!!! (Kaylah good luck in school.) Third star food, please if you go get the stuffed flounder and ribs heck get it all! Fourth star the atmosphere in there is great. Live entertainment they really need their own show stand up comedians. Fifth star I give them goes to the GM she was just so darn cute and made us feel like family. The restaurant is truly a wonderful place will be going back before we leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girl's TripSassyGrannyDined on 10/18/2014Celebrated my daughter's birthday here; staff was excellent! The food was ok. I ordered their red snapper and I don't believe that's what was served. It was bland and I couldn't finish it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic setting...Foodie1VIPDined on 10/12/2014Typical sports oriented bar (multiple tvs). Food is ok without being up to the overall level of Savannah dining. Suitable for drinks and casual fare.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food & Servicehannah11Dined on 10/11/2014Made reservation for my sisters birthday and this place literary pulled out all the stops to make us feel so welcomed. We started out with Grilled oyster and there Pork bruschetta, then had the Baby Back Ribs with there homemade bbq sauce, the ribs just fell off the bone, also had the stuffed flounder, it was everything that our waiter described it to be, I really love that it was cooked in a white wine sauce, very fresh and lots of flavor, we tried a slice of there homemade chocolate peanut butter cheese cake, ended up buying a whole cake to take back with us, our waiter was so nice and very attentive to all of our questions and needs, I wish I could give this place 10 stars!If your in savannah stop by and give this neighborhood gem a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- telajVIPDined on 9/3/2014First time there...service was outstanding and food was good. Accommodated gluten allergy.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD GREAT SERVICELoveCfoodDined on 8/22/2014The food was delicious! Would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great taste of the sea. The service was great as well, it is apparent that they love their job and enjoy giving you the best experience possible. Would definitely return in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodBTerneswDined on 8/19/2014The food was great. Had a great time. Would recommend a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome serviceGoodEatsDined on 8/1/2014The service here is amazing. The food was icing on top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 61 reviews are from the Tondee's Tavern reviews archive.
- Great Food and ServiceMarneMPDined on 7/25/2014My bride and I thought Tondee's Tavern was outstanding. We had the stuffed flounder and rack of ribs on the restaurant week menu. We also had the fried green tomatoes and pulled pork bruschetta appetizers. All were great. Our waitress Keya was most attentive as was the staff to include management who stopped by. Dessert was also great. I gave Tondee's five stars on Trip Advisor. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Good ribs.ElizabethDined on 7/24/2014When we first sat down we were in a small booth to the side and my husband felt cramped. We asked to move to a table and they were very accomodating. Both types of rib sauces were very tasty and the meat came off the bone easily. The men had steak medallions, ribs and rib eye steak. Another in our party had stuffed flounder and said it was excellent. Service was friendly and timely. We asked for the bill to be split in half for each couple and they came with everything marked as 1/2. 1/2 margarita, 1/2 rib dinner, etc., very funny to look at. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fish Sandwich was an A+OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014The fish sandwich that one of us ordered was excellent! Exceptional! Unfortunately, on the other hand, I would not recommend the crab cake sandwich. Two of the three of us at our table ordered the crab cake sandwich. Both of us only took a couple of bites from the crab cake sandwich and that was it! The crab cake was mushy and bland. Very disappointing. We did not complain to the manager about the crab cake sandwich because we figured it was our bad choice in selecting a menu item. Later during our trip to Savannah we had excellent crab cakes at another restaurant which ended up satisfying our craving! The tap beer at Tondee's Tavern was nice and cold! The manager was very friendly and engaging!
- Noisy but good foodRoadwarriorVIPDined on 7/4/2014Went in large group. Everyone was pleased with food except those who had snapper. All soups, salads, shrimp, BBQ, flounder were pleased. Service was good but kitchen was slow. Understand we were a large group but several tables came well after us and were served and left before we got food.Special Features:
- Loved it!BeauBeauchampDined on 6/10/2014My family and I were vacationing in Tybee Island (where there isn't too many places to eat), so we ventured in to Savannah and found this great place! Excellent food and Strawberry Daquiry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh fish!YummyDined on 6/2/2014Best fish sandwich in town! I had grilled, others had fried and blackened, all were awesome. Onion rings are amazing, fresh crab bisque to die for. $10 lunch that you will love, soo much better than tourist traps on River St or chains on Bay. Also interesting to read history of Tondee on back of menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodacluv15Dined on 5/30/2014It was pretty good. The food was out of this world! It wasn't exactly kid-friendly. The waitresses were not dressed appropriately. They had very short shorts. Their shirts were hiked up, & you could see their belly button! The noise were HORRIBLE! It was an okay experience.Special Features:
- Good, Solid Choice for DowntownSchocolDined on 5/10/2014If you are looking for good food that's not too expensive in a casual atmosphere then this is a great choice. There is a bar area with TV screens showing sports, but the food is a level above your average sports bar fare. There is a decent sized seating area and its certainly an okay place to bring kids. Our server was really excellent. Very pleasant and efficient and she spent just the right amount of time making sure we had everything we needed. She also explained the history of the building and relayed some of the famous ghost stories. There are so many casual dining choices on River St and Bay St, the so-called 'Tourist' areas, it can be overwhelming. But Tondee's Tavern is a good solid choice with good food and good atmosphere.Special Features:
- Fun placeLLindaCVIPDined on 4/26/2014Good bar food plus. My shrimp was fresh, sides were homemade, drinks were delicious. Service was friendly and professional. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait on a Saturday nightSusanDined on 4/12/2014Our food was average, good selection on the menu, but nothing memorable. The wait time was excruciating. From the time we placed our order to receiving our entrees, we waited over an hour. To be fair, our salads and bread and drink orders arrived promptly, but the kitchen was exceedingly slow with our main meals. I had opted for a 7 pm reservation rather than the 9:00 pm table, I might as well have taken the 9pm reservation and enjoyed historic Savannah in a pre-dinner stroll for two hours!Special Features:
- Great lunch find!CubbieGirlDined on 4/10/2014My husband and I were in town on vacation and were looking for a great place for lunch. We found Tondee's on here and thought we'd give it a try. We were not disappointed!! My husband ordered the ribs. He is normally very picky about ribs, but he LOVED them. He couldn't get over how tender they were, and he loved the macaroni and cheese! I had the crabby patty sandwich, and it too was fantastic. Our server, Brandon, was attentive and friendly. The manager, Angie, even stopped by to check on us. She was helpful and we want to wish her luck on her upcoming move! Definitely go check them out! Great food and friendly staff!Special Features:
- Great Family EnvironmentDom1584Dined on 3/28/2014My husband and our 2 daughters dined at Tondee's Saturday night, and had a wonderful experience all around. The service was very accommodating--the hostess seated us with optimal seating for a high chair and a place to store our gigantic stroller. Our server was outstanding, making sure our drinks were filled constantly and even bringing the girls' food out first as they were getting very cranky and hungry after our long walk along the river. We shared a "Captain's Platter", a delicious sampling of seafood cooked to perfection. The restaurant was very warm and inviting, and decorated for Spring--the kids even got to pick from a basket of Easter eggs on the way out! Overall, we had a fantastic experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014I visited Tondee's Tavern a few days ago. It was outstanding! When we arrived our table was already set up for us. Our server came over to greet us right away. She had a great knowledge of the wine list. She even convinced me to try the Simi Cabernet. I had never tried this wine before. I must say I will deffinatly buy a bottle when I get home. I ordered the scallops. I have never had bacon wrapped scallops before. They were delicious. The bacon gave them a better taste then any scallops I have ever had before. For my sides I had red rice and the onion rings. Both were delicious. You could tell that all there food is cooked from scratch. Our waitress was very attentive. My water glass was never empty. I will deffinatly be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with Family was Great!food4lifeDined on 3/27/2014I enjoyed a delicious dinner with my boyfriend and mother at Tondee's. My mom enjoyed the grilled salmon. I enjoyed the stuffed flounder and he had the ribs with homemade tangy barbeque. The food was delicious and my server was friendly and knew the menu well. Tondee's is a place to enjoy great food, great service and spending time with company. We all had fun at Tondee's and will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Experience!!hannah11Dined on 3/27/2014My husband wanted Ribs and I just wanted something different. I got the shrimp and grits, they we're to die for. cooked in some sort of wine buttery sauce that t'm dying to replicate for my friends.My husband was making fun of me saying I inhaled my food. He got a FULL RACK of RIBS, they basically fell off the bone, as he demonstrated they we're finger licking good! Our server was very sweet and attentive. Overall we give this place 5 stars!! Food was excellent, service was right on the money. I would recommend this place to anyone!!! Last thing the oysters on the half shell we're ice cold and that homemade cocktail sauce was killer!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDisappointedDined on 3/23/2014We sent two entrees back (one was too salty and the other was burned to a crisp). Crabcakes were tiny, barely 1/2 inch thick, and had a charred burnt coating. Both were entirely flat. Shrimp and grits looked like gray mush with tiny shrimp and were overly salted (as were my green beans). Received luke warm apology from server, no manager ever came by. You would assume if a table send back 2 entrees (very nicely I might add) one would come make a professional apology, maybe buy a round of drinks? I had to ask for my dill sauce and the snooty table runner rolled her eyes (well it comes with it!) and my nephew had to ask for his fries and was also met with a glare. Horrible value, will never recomment. We are locals.
- Casual Bar RestaurantTravelerDined on 3/15/2014It would be a neighborhood gem but it is right in the middle of all the action. Great place to stop for a quick bite or beer. Service is good and friendly.
- The food was nothing to raveBradVIPDined on 3/14/2014The food was nothing to rave about but the prices were reasonable and our waitress was great!Special Features:
- DisappointedDanielDined on 2/26/2014We made reservations here and were very disappointed when we got there. We were expecting a very historical looking atmosphere and all it looks like is your plain looking Applebee's and the food is the same way. Online it looks amazing but don't let them fool you it is just a mediocre place to eat, very low on my list in Savannah. If your just looking to go somewhere to watch the game it might be ok but for nothing else. All in all I was very disappointed with this restaurant and wouldn't go back.
- just average local spottinkerbellDined on 2/22/2014There are way too many restaurants in the area that service better food. This was merely average, though service and options were good.
- Good Service/Good FoodBuckeyKarmaVIPDined on 2/14/2014A friendly environment with good service and good food.Special Features:
- Poor Dining ExperienceJonathanDined on 2/14/2014It took the waitress 10-15 minutes to acknowledge we were there and that's after I told the hostess no one had served us. My filet was so salty I couldn't eat it and our salads came after our entrees. It ruined my Valentine's dinner with my girlfriend.
- Good seafood in a tavern atmosphereSullmeisterDined on 2/14/2014The seafood was very good, though not creative. Good service, tavern atmosphere.
- Good points and badSavannahlocalDined on 2/4/2014This was my first time dining at Tondee's Tavern. The atmosphere was nice and they had sports on several of the TV's. The server was attentive, but hovered. The salad was good and the Bang shrimp were as good as the national change. However with my main course, the scallops wrapped in bacon were slightly over done as were the mashed potatoes and rice and andouille , whereas I was afraid to eat some of the bacon that was wrapped on the scallops because it was undercooked. The meal finished with pecan pie that tasted like it just came out of a box. In the south, we hold our pecan pie to a higher standard. The amount of food was definitely a value and some of the meals such as ribs looked great. I will give them another chanceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyJbozDined on 2/1/2014Really enjoyed the dinner, went as a big group and we all loved it! Very reasonable for the amount of food you get. Would recommend this place and go again.Special Features:
- Excellent Service, Great FooduntaintedVIPDined on 1/25/2014We enjoyed the team environment. Each employee helped one another. They really made us feel welcome. The Homemade Chili was flicks and had just the right amount of kick to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprise!SavannahianDined on 1/11/2014Since living in Savannah, we have been to many of their restaurants. We had not tried this restaurant and were in the mood for some seafood and other varieties. We found the food to be better than the average touristy restaurants in the city. The fried shrimp were large and local and a lot for your money! The stuffed flounder could have used more stuffing. It had a good flavor. Shrimp and grits were decent. Have had better at other area restaurants. Calamari was very tender and tasty. Steamed broccoli was the bomb! Didn't try the ribs but I am sure they were wonderful since the restaurant used to be a rib joint before. All in all, we would choose it again without hesitation. Way to go Tondees!! You passed our test!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.