Tom's Tavern & 1929 Grill
2 N. Central One Renaissance Sq
Phoenix, AZ 85004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tom's Tavern & 1929 Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tomstavernphoenix.com/
- Phone: 6022571688
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 10:30am - 8:00pm. Friday - Saturday: 10:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Jason Choate
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full Service Catering menu, corporate catering, private parties, weddings, bar mitzvah, bat mitzvah, quinceanera and fundraisers.
- Private Party Contact: Greg Freed 6022571688
A word from Tom's Tavern & 1929 Grill
Tom’s Tavern & 1929 Grill is now again serving breakfast, lunch and dinner to the downtown Phoenix area. The history of Tom's is a long and storied one that dates back to 1929. Tom's full service bar and restaurant serves the downtown Phoenix community six days a week. Our restaurant has private dining options that allow you to conduct business meetings as well as have space for family and social functions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tom's Tavern & 1929 Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
- Open Table accepted our reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2012Open Table accepted our reservation for New Years eve, but they were closed.
- It should have been our firstOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/1/2012It should have been our first clue when the Tavern looked 'empty' on a Sat. night. We debated on whether to go across the street and eat at Chipotle but decided to give Ted's a try. We should have gone with our clue. The food was NOT good. We all had something different and no one liked the food.
- The chili was good; the saladkrushVIPDined on 10/6/2012The chili was good; the salad was out of a bag with dressing and store bought croutons. the macaroni and cheese was suggested and it was good, but not very hot. Overall, the place was extremely low key sports bar type place...we did not need a reservation.
- Date Night #1MksmesaDined on 10/1/2012We had a large group before out trip to the Comedy Club. Food & Service were Excellent.Special Features:
- poor quality foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012quality of food was not good, more fat and less meat in both pork and beef.
- The food was very good. WouldOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012The food was very good. Would recommend for this reason. Need to try again to see if the service is always bad or just the server we had that evening. She was not very attentive and missed opportunity to server more alcohol (money maker). I had to find her to get our check so we could make it to our show on time. Other than her lack of service the food and ambiance was good!Special Features:
- Had a great lunch here. ServiceSteveVIPDined on 9/29/2012Had a great lunch here. Service and food were both good and would visit again while in downtown Phoenix.Special Features:
- Went with my husbad for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/22/2012Went with my husbad for dinner and drinks before seeing Seinfeld at Comerica Theatre. Bar area is very nice, old world charm. Burger and chicken sandwich was good. Nice place to go before an event downtown.
- We sat on the patio. I reallyMusimomDined on 7/14/2012We sat on the patio. I really enjoyed the brisket!!! Our waitress was very knowledgeable and attentive. We will return.Special Features:
- On a carry out a bit slowOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/23/2012On a carry out a bit slow but wait staff was excellent and food was prepared to "food sensitive" specifics.Special Features:
- 100,000 people looking to eat?OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/26/2012With Phoenix Comicon, the big game, UFC, and the symphony downtown was packed with hungry fans. Our party of 15 could not get in anywhere yet this place was empty. Seemed like a bad sign but the food was good and the service even better. They were closing up as other restaurants were turning people away. Not sure what the deal is with that? The manager should be fired for not taking advantage of the crowds!
- It IS a Tavern...danakVIPDined on 5/15/2012I'm not sure some other reviewers graded Tom's so poorly. We went there before a concert at US Airways Center with our teenage boys, 15 and 18. It is definitely a bar with bar-type food, but really good bar type food. Mostly BBQ. The boys and I all had BBQ and it was delicious. They LOVED it. One had pork, the other brisket and they serve it with homemade rolls and chipotle mac and cheese. Not for the diet conscious, but tasty! I had the pulled bbq pork sandwich--again very good. My hubby had the BLT and said it was awesome...served on soft bread so it didn't rip his mouth up. Our server was attentive and friendly, our food came fairly promptly. I think given that it IS a "tavern," it does what you'd expect pretty darn well.Special Features:
- My chopped salad came w/dressingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/10/2012My chopped salad came w/dressing on it and the lettuce was all soggy. It also was not that great as far as the variety of lettuce and veges on it. Would suggest they get a few more healthy alternatives to lunch!! French fries were great.Special Features:
- Tom's has had a complete makeoverVIPDinerVIPDined on 3/30/2012Tom's has had a complete makeover but is still the cornerstone for downtown Phoenix. Tom's has the feel of an upscale 'Cheers' - staff is very attentive and friendly, drinks are outstanding, food is first class. Highly recommend dining here.Special Features:
- Also a great place to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2012Also a great place to dine before the Theater. They get you out in plenty of time without rushing you.Special Features:
- I picked this for a dinnerPJG2Dined on 3/20/2012I picked this for a dinner with some out-of-town guests at a meeting in downtown Phoenix. It was the closest non-chain OpenTable-compatible restaurant to our hotel. Though I live here, I had never been to the restaurant myself. It was really more of a bar, with one semi-private group area. That worked well for us, but the food was bar food, and the ambiance was that of a bar (what there was of it...on a Tuesday night at 745PM, the place was empty). I was expecting something a little classier.Special Features:
- This was my first time diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/20/2012This was my first time dining at Tom's Tavern. I am looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:
- Despite its name this is aOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/10/2012Despite its name this is a modern bar with modern ambiance. It is located close to downtown entertainment and sport centers. Menu was limited - basically pub food but what they offered was tasty. Good food and good service.
- The food was great. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/18/2012The food was great. Service was fast enough. Overall great experienceSpecial Features:
- Overall very disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2012Overall very disappointing. I had high hopes but was let down. Probably would not go back.
- Have eaten her twice now andMoCookeeDined on 2/15/2012Have eaten her twice now and the food has been very good. The location is great and adds to the history of downtown Phoenix. Great staff!Special Features:
- We met friends there for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/10/2012We met friends there for dinner before an event at US Airways Arena. We had selected the restaurant because it was close to the arena. The hostess service was good. They knew we were coming and seated us quickly. The wait services was uninspiring. There were long waits between every contact by our waiter. The menu needed a few more fish and vegetarian choices. Presentation of the food was more like a coffee shop than a restaurant. The flavor of the food was ok but none of us found our choice to be memorable or particularly tastey. Would not go back for dinner.
- We received special happyBeerLoverDined on 2/9/2012We received special happy hour pricing of $2 per item, normally $5 per item. Some were certainly worth $2, but most were not worth $5. Had we paid the full price we would have been extremely disappointed.
- Met a friend there for breakfast.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/15/2012Met a friend there for breakfast. It was a cool place.Special Features:
- Food was really good and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011Food was really good and the service was outstanding. We sat outside since the weather was nice. The sidewalk crowd did not bother us. We definitely will recommend to our friends and will go back for more food.Special Features:
- Great place to have a casualOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/30/2011Great place to have a casual dinner before the game or a show.Special Features:
- Best downtown eats!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/29/2011outstanding food as well as quick, efficient and really friendly service! The new interior work is great with that old pub feel. We will return for sure for pre and post game/concert libations and food. Love the new Tom's!!!Special Features:
- Bit of a delay finding restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/15/2011Bit of a delay finding restaurant as address is for entire building--but once there it was very nice. Food and service excellent.Special Features:
- Read the reviews before weOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2011Read the reviews before we went there. Was concerned that the service might be sub-standard. That was true at the bar --- was totally ignored by the bartenders when trying to order drinks. But it was entirely different when we were seated at our table. Our server was incredibly responsive and patient with us, very affable and upbeat. There were 8 of us, and virtually everyone really enjoyed their meal. The weather was perfect, so the patio was the obvious choice and that was very enjoyable.Special Features: