Tommy V's Urban Kitchen
2659 Gateway Road
Carlsbad, CA 92009Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Tommy V's Urban Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tommyvsurbankitchencarlsbad.com/
- Phone: 7606021949
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 3:30pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Berry
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We are able to cater up to 500 guests. Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Entertainment: Live music offered regularly.
A word from Tommy V's Urban Kitchen
As the backdrop of Food Network's reality show, Family Style, Tommy V's has quickly become a popular destination for both the locals and tourists alike. Nestled in the heart of The Bressi Ranch community, Tommy Vs offers its' guests Contemporary California Comfort Food in an upscale, casual eatery.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tommy V's Urban Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)great for outdoor dining (10)good for groups (9)great for lunch (8)fit for foodies (6)special occasion (5)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- First stop at Tommy V'sSandyEgoVIPDined on 10/11/2014I was really amazed by the quality of the dishes at Tommy V's. Great wait staff and accommodating too! Will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food just okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014The food was ok but that is my third time there every single time service was slow.
- lovely lunchSKINNEYDined on 9/24/2014Celebrated a birthday. Had a lovely time. Food and the service was excellent. We look forward to returning.Special Features:
- just okjonnyvVIPDined on 9/19/2014Have been to Tommy V's a few times over the years. This time it was mostly underwhelming. We reserved a table for 7 pm Saturday. I expected it to be busier. the wine room directly behind the hostess stand is nearly empty; are they not stocking wine anymore? Seemed like they already had the dinner rush. As we walked to our table outside, the were lots of unbused tables, seemed like they were ramping down for the evening. We had the salmon salad and eggplant pasta. They were surprisingly good. Overall it felt like the experience has come down. Sort of like the neighborhood location can't support a more upscale eatery.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MammaMaitaVIPDined on 9/8/2014The location is a bit off and even though I had scheduled a later lunch (3:30) parking was hard to find. Good luck to those who go during the lunch and dinner rush! The food was pretty decent and the sizing of each dish was nice and generous. The only downside was that the menu that's listed on-line was not the same as what we received when we arrived. Also even though my reservations was at 3:30 we were expecting the lunch menu but were given the dinner menu instead. Though the food was good, it's not something I'd go back over and over again for.Special Features:
- Exceptional Dining Experience!JackieDined on 8/30/2014The salmon and sea bass entrees were perfectly prepared and delicious. The best Cosmo I've had in a long time ! My friend loved his Mojito drink too. Service was excellent too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great people mediocre foodDavethedinerVIPDined on 8/8/2014Not much else to say - we had not been here in about a year and remembered liking the food then - pasta was just ok and what you would expect from a Denny's or other resteraunts costing much less - desert was heavy and soggySpecial Features:
- Great for a a group birthday! Fun!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Fun night out with girlfriends . Very friendly staff. Good atmosphere, a bit loud with live music .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wierdDined on 7/26/2014I had eaten at TV once before and it was Ok. This time on a Sat eve. at 715pm it was AWFUL . We were with friends and all we did all night was say what - can't hear you. That is not what I want when I go our for dinnerSpecial Features:
- Love the rest.PskallDined on 7/26/2014My fav in the neighborhood consistent, good service and all around great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outside viewchoosyDined on 7/25/2014Watched the sunset from the terrace while enjoying delicious, well-cooked short ribs.Special Features:
- The following 127 reviews are from the Tommy V's Urban Kitchen reviews archive.
- DisappointingMomof3VIPDined on 7/2/2014Food was sub par as was the service. I had the turkey burger which was too garlicky and very very dry. Asked to sun salad for fries - they forgot . My daughter had the soup way too salty . Had to go to frozen yogurt to clear of palates of salt and garlic. Won't be back. Could have had a better lunch for way less $ anywhere else in Bressi Ranch
- great foodSusan1484VIPDined on 6/26/2014We had excellent service and good food. The setting tends to get very noisy even with few people inside since it is a very high 'industrial' ceiling and wood fixtures. Great variety of food. Few of us seated in the restaurant but all seated in a very close area made conversation difficult - next time I will request better spacing just for the sake of conversation!Special Features:
- Great eveningGreatVIPDined on 5/16/2014This is a beautiful place that has a really cool bar area as well as the feel of high end dining area. The service was truly a team sport with everyone ensuring that you had everything you need. The food was delicious. I had the muscles, I get them almost everywhere I go and I can tell you that the sauce was amazing, probably the best I have had! My husband had the pesto pasta and my son had a great burger so something for everyone! I highly recommend .Special Features:
- Delicious food, great serviceHappyDinerVIPDined on 5/10/2014We always enjoy Tommy Vs and this time was no exception. The Filet Mignon Bruschetta was a perfect way to start our meal and our pasta (orchiette and butternut ravioli) was very good. Live music on the weekends adds a nice ambiance.Special Features:
- Another Outstanding MealFrankVIPDined on 4/22/2014Went there for a business lunch meeting. Looks like they recently expanded the lunch menu...lots to choose from. Had the Rigatoni with meatballs in a spicy red sauce. I highly recommend it. I will be back!Special Features:
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/22/2014We had a great time at lunch. The food was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't celebrate a holiday here...PattDined on 4/20/2014Food was below average...husband and daughter's steak were poorly prepared and very fatty and their eggs were runny when they specifically asked for the eggs to be "scrambled well"...my salmon and crab eggs benedict had a lot of salmon skin and crunch in the crab from not being cleaned/prepared properly. Waitress was very nice, as were the other servers. Very disappointing as I was hoping we would find a new local spot to frequent for special occasions. On the plus side, they had some excellent face painters on site for the little ones. That was a nice touch for the few families dining with little children.
- I expected more from Tommy V'sGraceDined on 4/20/2014My family of 5 went to Tommy V's for the first time for Easter brunch. We ordered our food - the menu looks great by the way. However, I have to say that we were all very disappointed with the taste of our food. We ordered the calamari, monte cristo, Aurora sausage and peppers, new york steak and eggs, pulled pork and calzone. The steak was good, but the rest was quite ordinary. Definitely not something I would expect from an upscale restaurant that cost $150 for brunch. It tasted like a very regular run of the mill diner. If the brunch cost $50 that would be a different story, but I expected more for the money I paid. Sorry Tommy V's - you don't get my vote.Special Features:
- Great food close to lodgingGoldenBear82Dined on 4/12/2014Our experience at "Tommy V's Urban Kitchen" was very positive. Although a little loud, I think due to the open nature of the place (like a warehouse with tables) the food and service were excellent. The prices on the steaks seemed a bit high in relation to the other dinner entree prices, but the evening special "19 oz. bone-in ribeye" was absolutely wonderful. The acoustic guitar player was quite a virtuoso of contemporary hits from the last 50 years that entertained us trendously during our entire dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Usual Spot2fortheroadDined on 4/5/2014We have family in San Marcos and for many years now we come to visit. It took awhile to find "just the right" hotel(quiet & comfortable and within a sort distance AND a special pace to unwind for dinner. Just happen to discover Tommy V's while shopping at Trader Joe's. The service is very ,very good; professional yet casual. We usually order fish as it is excellent. But had the Chicken this time & loved it! If we lived nearby I could see it as a "neighborhood" place to have a drink-even alone at the bar. This is the first time it was SO LOUD(due to high ceilings?) that it was uncomfortable & left a buzz in our ears:( But after the crowd died down, it was great. We were there from 7-8:30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance!KarlDined on 3/14/2014Our food and service experience was great. I can only hope that they are consistent with this now based upon some past reviews. We definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice send-offlornDined on 3/14/2014Tommy V's was the site we chose for a family send-off of my daughter to the midwest for College. Food was traditional and comfortable for us. Quality and service are very good, and the atmosphere is modern and urban. A good times restaurant.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014When Tommy V's first opened it catered to the more upscale/fine dining crowd with a fine wine list, impeccable service, and an array of fabulous menu items. I've not been to Tommy V's for about 6 months and have to say I will think twice before going again. We recently went for a special occasion and took friends who are restaurant owners. After raving to our friends what a great restaurant this is I was quite embarrassed. The wine list was a grocery store wine selection at best that was very over priced, the food was delicious as usual, but the service was sub par.The atmosphere was very noisy and there were too many small children there for a Saturday evening at 8:00. The kids drown out the guitarist.
- Don't waist your timesabrinaVIPDined on 3/1/2014A neighbor recommended this place to me because of the"great ambiance". It was nothing worth writing about. Our service took forever, it was very loud (we could not hear each other talk) and the menu online is not up to date. I will not be returning and would never recommend this place to anyone.
- An O.K. Urban KitchenSarreDined on 2/14/2014Italian food that is o.k. but nothing great. The specials are overpriced, the standard faire pricey. The Ossobuco was good though not the best. The polenta was different, I've had better. The smoked salmon on crostini was good. Water was wet. Wine was excellent, but we brought it. Would we come back? Let's put it this way; Tommy V's won't be at the top of our list. In other words, we probably won't return but it doesn't fit into the restaurants I will avoid like the plaque. That said, if friends wanted to go we wouldn't give it a thumbs down. We'd just say it is 'o.k.' and point out the Pizza Port just down the street. Only 1 drinkable beer here, which for a San Diego restaurant is a crime.
- B minusbizdinerDined on 2/14/2014It was a busy valentine evening, the hostess, waiter and all severs were top notch. The food was delivered in a timely manner. 3 out of 4 at our table were very happy with the entrees: rack of lamb, fish special and pasta with sausage. The only problem was the "wood burning oven" pizza ordered by our 4th diner. The topping was ok: wild mushrooms. the crust best resembled a cheap frozen pizza dough. i could not imagine that this was actually a wood burning oven pizza with home made dough. i would go back to this restaurant just, don't order the pizza and you should have a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service PleasefunsterDined on 2/14/2014This was our second visit and the food was as good as ever. However our waiter was the worst. He seemed to be in a very sour mood from the start of the evening. It seemed as if he was doing us a favor by being our waiter. His tone was gruff and not attentive to our needs. He didn't ask if we wanted second glasses of wine and we had to ask him about dessert!!!! Overall: "A" for food; "F" for waiterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day dinnerVdayloverVIPDined on 2/14/2014Service was slow, good had to be sent back, pasta wasn't aldente. Had to flag server for service continually. Was surprised, use to be a great restaurant, must have been an off day.
- Nice, but not great.nickDined on 2/5/2014You know it's going to be a so, so dinner experience, when Tommy V's Urban Kitchen gives up your reservations and seats you at the bar. The bartender was great, but it takes away any idea for a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Italian in Bressi RanchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/5/2014I have been going to Tommy V's since they were over in the La Costa location. The food is outstanding and the servers are excellent. Plus, for people who have never been, the location in Bressi Ranch is super cute and an unexpected find. On this occasion, we went there for my Mom's 80th birthday. She has some physical mobility issues but the restaurant had set us up in a table that was easy to reach and sit down at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I came here for lunch withOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/16/2014I came here for lunch with a friend and thought my seafood linguine was very good. The variety of seafood was good with fish, mussels, and calamari, and the tomato brodo was very tasty. The portion was very generous. The service was good but I didn't like how the waiter literally picked up my plate and dumped my leftovers into a to-go container, dropping the silverware on the table in the process. If a waiter is going to package your leftovers, either do it away from the table, or use implements to move the food from the plate to the container. I think this place is a little pricey, but it is a welcome addition to an area that doesn't have many "nice" restaurants. I will come back.Special Features:
- Average Food, nice ambianceForrest2bDined on 1/11/2014There was a live musician Saturday night who was great, always in key and had a wide range of songs. The food was average, I was expecting better. The mashed potatoes were outstanding as was the salmon, but the mussels, calimari, ravioli, and pizza were average. I will give credit to the lobster bisque that comes with the ravioli, it was outstanding and worth dipping all bread into.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite!CohnjunkiesDined on 12/31/2013We've been to Tommy V's twice with 4 days! Wonderful food! Terrific service! The menu is spectacular...Special Features:
- Another typical very good mealvegasbillDined on 12/29/2013Among the virtues most good restaurants strive for, consistency is critical. The dining experience should be as good as expected and the dishes should be prepared, served and taste the same every time. Not only is this the case at Tommy V's, but the food is very tasty, served hot or cold as it should be and the portions are generous. The service is friendly and unpretentious. Every visit we have made to this restaurant has been consistently good. I wold be remiss in not saying also the prices are quite reasonable. Noise levels can be the only negative from time to time.Special Features:
- Tommy V's is a neighborhood gemDrBobTauDined on 12/24/2013This is my first restaurant review--ever--although I eat out in fine dining restaurants about twice a week. Tommy V's is the one nearest to my home, and the one my wife and I frequent the most. We wouldn't do that if it didn't hold its place against all the others. We love not only the convenience, but the warm greeting and excellent service by owner and staff--like we were family. The food is reliably good American-Italian fare, the ambiance is energetic (a bit noisy--that's what this generation prefers), the furnishings are modern and new-looking, the artwork on the walls invokes conversation, and the music, when they have it, is Ottmar Liebert in style--which we like very much. We intend to return often.Special Features:
- Great Italian Cuisine...Service ummOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/22/2013Always Great Italian Cuisine...Service umm...a hit or missSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luncheon Hit!CorpLuncheonDined on 12/19/2013We had our luncheon (for 14) at peak lunch time, so the noise level was a little loud, but we had great, attentive service and the food was very good. Our wait staff was knowledgeable about the dishes and friendly. Large portions, reasonable prices and everyone enjoyed their meals. We would definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service!lovetobakeDined on 12/14/2013This restaurant was wonderful. The food was very good, and the service went above and beyond. My husband had the chicken parm and it really was the best I have ever tasted, Just like Nonna used to make. My scallops were cooked to perfection and the lamb was fabulous. Thank agains - we shall be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and service!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2013Everything was perfect. The food and service are wonderful!!!Special Features: