655 Montgomery St./ Financial District
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.tommytoys.com/
- Phone: 4153974888
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 1:45pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 7:00pm
Dinner: Daily 5:30pm - 9:30pm including most holidays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Howard Wong
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private dining rooms available for parties from 8 to 150. Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Private Party Facilities: We offer a variety of private rooms, which accommodate from 10 to 150 guests. Each room provides a unique ambience. A variety of specialty menus are offered.
Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Hannie Huynh and Jessica Zhang 4153974888
- Entertainment: Arrangements for Chinese Lion Dances, Fortune Telling, Photographer, Audio and Video Services are available for private events with advance notice. Please call for details.
- Special Events: For information regarding our special events, please visit our website at www.tommytoys.com and click on "Special Events".
- Cross Street: Washington Street
- Public Transit: Montgomery Street Muni/Bart Station. The nearby California St. cable car line and the Sacramento, Sansome, and Kearny Street Muni bus service are also available.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking available during dinner hours only. On street parking and nearby garages also available.
A word from Tommy Toy's
Entering Tommy Toy’s Cuisine Chinoise, you are transported back to the royal grandeur of ancient China's Qing Dynasty. At this iconic and popular restaurant, savor the innovative Chinese cuisine with French influences, graciously served by the attentive dining room staff. Considered the first ‘high-style’ Chinese restaurant to open in San Francisco, Tommy Toy’s has received rave reviews throughout its 27-year history. Using the highest quality seasonal ingredients and impeccable attention to detail, fans agree that Tommy Toy’s provides guests with “an unforgettable meal that will keep you coming back for years to come.”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tommy Toy's reviews from OpenTable diners
- Our party of five was verychularanchVIPDined on 3/30/2013Our party of five was very disappointed in the food quality and service at Tommy Toy's. With so many great restaurants in San Francisco, we will never eat at Tommy Toy's again.
- I can't say enough about mydjsfVIPDined on 3/30/2013I can't say enough about my experiences at Tommy Toy's Restaurant over the years....however going on the last night was very sad for many reasons...The service was awful, you had to "catch" someone as they hopefully went by....They just seemed as if they were going through the motions of assisting customers. I went there with my friend (who had not been to the restaurant in years)with high expectations. I told my friend how impressed she would be expecially with the service...but it wasn't to be true... Sevice was very slow and it seems as if it really took an effort to get another cocktail, a fallen napkin replaced, etc but they were very quick in placing the bill. I suppose I will just rely on my former fond memories...
- Thank you Tommy Toy's forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/30/2013Thank you Tommy Toy's for years of great dinners. We are honored to be able to share the last night with you. In our hearts forever.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experience.StephiweffiDined on 3/29/2013Tommy Toy's is the best Chinese restaurant I've ever been to. The food is amazing, and the restaurant is beautiful. Also, the service is great.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/29/2013Outstanding food and experience. Thank you Tommy Toy!Special Features:
- Their food was a great asOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/27/2013Their food was a great as always. Their service was gracious and fast and if you didn't know, you would not have guessed that they were closing at the end of the week. I will always have fond memories of Tommy Toy's and am sorry to see it close. It's ironic that it if the they had had the crowd that was there on Wednesday on a regular basis they wouldn't be closing.Special Features:
- I ate here on March 24th,OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/24/2013I ate here on March 24th, and unfortunately it will be my last time, as Tommy Toy's is closing for ever on MArch 31st. If you read this review before then, make a reservation and go witness and enjoy the end of an era for a very unique and excellent restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food as always, servicepickyDined on 3/23/2013Great food as always, service is always the best; will be a shame if they close their doors for good. The City is going to miss having them around.Special Features:
- I will miss this Tommy ToysOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 3/23/2013I will miss this Tommy Toys when they close their doors at the end of the week. There is no other restaurant like this left in San Francisco!Special Features:
- Elegant Tommy Toy'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/23/2013This is Tommy Toy's last hurrah. It is a beautiful room in the 'old school' vein of an Ernie's. Beautiful decor, in muted browns and burgundy with Chinese artwork adorning the walls. The restaurant has an ambiance of rich coziness. The bar is tucked back behind a mirrored column and is small and comfy. The restaurant is quite an antithesis to the current 'industrial-decor' trend of newer restaurants. The must have dish is TT's signature dish of Seafood Bisque. It was excellent. The Medallions of Beef, another TT special, was delicious. Two medallions of tender beef glazed with a balsamic mixture that was very rich and savory set between four asparagus spears. The 'fried rice' was simply delicious. I am glad for this final visit.Special Features:
- Always missed, NEVER forgotten!EatmyheartoutVIPDined on 3/22/2013We will miss the restaurant VERY much! The SIGNATURE meal was perfect, as always. Service was sublime! Hope they reopen soon somewhere else. Will miss everything about it, except the current location. hope they can reinvent themselves soon.Special Features:
- I'm sorry that they will beLindaVIPDined on 3/22/2013I'm sorry that they will be closing. A great staff and the best Vanilla Prawns!!Special Features:
- Fantastic dinner! The staffOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/21/2013Fantastic dinner! The staff was excellent and I have not had such a good meal in a very long time!Special Features:
- We are so sorry to see thisHappyVIPDined on 3/20/2013We are so sorry to see this outstanding restaurant close. We hope they reopen in a different spot soon.Special Features:
- It's closing but we will missOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/20/2013It's closing but we will miss this place which is great for lunch!Special Features:
- I am sorry to hear Tommy Toy'sOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/19/2013I am sorry to hear Tommy Toy's is closing. The dining room has a cozy/plush ness that I enjoy. Celebrated my 30th years ago.The food this time as a bit too saucy.
- Sad to hear we are losingOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/19/2013Sad to hear we are losing a great restaurant in SF. At least My friends and I had the pleasure and opportunity to have dined here.Special Features:
- Beautiful, quiet ambiance.DWinSFVIPDined on 3/14/2013Beautiful, quiet ambiance. Courses are served well spaced - not a place to go if you are in a hurry. Definitely not your ordinary Chinese fare. 4 or 6 course price fixe options are great. Great spot for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Too bad that Tommy Toy`s isOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/12/2013Too bad that Tommy Toy`s is about to close. The food is excellent, as is the service, but I guess that young people want to go to more trendy places - whatever that happens to mean. Everyone there was older and well dressed. Tommy Toy`s is dated, and wonderful, but I guess it is time for a change.Special Features:
- For a fine dining versionOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/10/2013For a fine dining version of Chinese food, I was very pleased. It wasn't over done like other restaurants out there where they would impress you with the plate presentation but the dish at the end is a disappointment. Looks like Tommy had a great run in San Francisco since 1985. We will miss this restaurant.Special Features:
- SO sad it's going out of business.CookieVIPDined on 3/8/2013SO sad it's going out of business. A San Francisco classic.
- Food was deplorable and wayF1daveDined on 3/8/2013Food was deplorable and way expensive, no wonder they are closing.
- Enjoyed your signature dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/8/2013Enjoyed your signature dinner with Auntie's 90th birthday last year. Look forward to coming in one more time on 3/28 before you close the doors.Special Features:
- We are so sorry that TommyNtlynDined on 3/7/2013We are so sorry that Tommy Toy's is closing, but it was fun seeing the TV cameras from Channel 5 interviewing the staff. (We even made it on to the news, in the background!) We had a great lunch. Food was wonderful and very fair prices. Again, sorry they are leaving!Special Features:
- ExquisiteOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/1/2013Had the Prixe Fix 4-course dinner and, it was nothing less than SPECTACULAR. I'm sorry to learn the restaurant will be closing at the end of the month. I've enjoyed coming to this establishment for over 25 years!! I have so many wonderful memories. I can honestly say, I've NEVER had a bad meal. It'll be a sad day for the locals.....I'll be making several more reservations before they close. You can never get tired of their menu....vanilla prawns, mango chicken, medallion of beef, peking duck and, their signature seafood bisque!Special Features:
- Wonderful as usual. HadCarlDined on 2/23/2013Wonderful as usual. Had the Signature Dinner on the menu and it was superb. We went for Chinese New Year and could not have been more pleased. Enjoyed the dinner so much we missed the parade!!!!! Which was ok by us--there is always next year.Special Features:
- We found the service and ambianceKSIBVIPDined on 2/21/2013We found the service and ambiance to be outstanding. The food, however, including their version of Peking duck, was just a little better than ordinary. We selected the four course option, with two entrees. My beef medallions entree was excellent. My pot stickers and hot and sour soup were ok, but not distinguished. My husband had a similar response to his spring roll, but found his chicken tomato bisque to be exceptional. Our biggest disappointment was the duck, the portions of which were tiny. I'm sure that one of our issues with the duck is a matter of personal taste--it was close to 1/4 fat. The very tiny non-fat portions and the crispy skin were delicious. For folks who like fat duck breast, I recommend the duck.
- we enjoyed our dinner hereLovehistoricsavannahVIPDined on 2/20/2013we enjoyed our dinner here for the overall experience. it is a quiet, restful and pretty restaurant. we thought the lobster was outstanding, the other dishes more ordinary. service was very attentive.
- Not with my fried riceretiredbuddiesVIPDined on 2/19/2013We arrived early for a reservation & were seated 15 min. later. They were handling a large group which I believe took priority. Our food was all very good. We ordered from the four course winter treats selection & another four course selection. The only problem was my dinner's last course was fried rice with chicken, shrimp & pork. What I received with my beef dish was a bowl of rice (same rice my husband had). The head server didn't serve the food, two other gentlemen had. When the head server gave us the bill I asked him about the last course & he said that was the fried rice. He was in a rush and I let it go. After we got home I looked up the menu & realized there wasn't anything in the fried rice. I didn't need it, but we did pay for it
- Elegant DiningJosieKVIPDined on 2/17/2013Elegant dining in beautiful surroundings. This is a gorgeous and delicious restaurant. Fabulous dining choices. Staff is marvelous. Best Cosmo I ever had.Special Features:
- Outstanding food. Only oneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013Outstanding food. Only one problem - we sat at a table for two. I was closer to the man sitting at the next table than to my wife, so conversation was inhibited. The man at the next table would cup his hands over his mouth when talking.Special Features:
- This continues to be one ofOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/13/2013This continues to be one of the best restaurants in San Francisco. The Executive Lunch which includes 2 appetizers, 5 entree samples and dessert has to be the best lunch buy anywhere. The service is superb and the ambiance exquisite. Dining in this beautiful restaurant is always a treat and an event.Special Features:
- Maaah nothing to write home aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013I had been so recomended to this place... its ok, nothing to write home about. THe food although its good, you can find FAR better places in china town for chinese food in SF, it is very elegant to be chinese but the service wasnt the best, i came here looking forward for an experience and it resulted far from itSpecial Features:
- some of the best chinese foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/8/2013some of the best chinese food in town in a quiet, refined setting. Great value prix fix menusSpecial Features:
- Perfect portions and very tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/31/2013We did the Dine About Town and, the food was wonderful, especially the vanilla prawns and, the mince squab. They were scrumtious!!Special Features:
- A wonderful experience...justsunflowerVIPDined on 1/30/2013A wonderful experience...just service was a bit uneven...my tea never came and when I commented during my main course it was delivered.Special Features:
- We were treated with respectgdrestrntluvrDined on 1/28/2013We were treated with respect and courtesy from the moment we entered the restaurant until we left. The service was prompt and courteous but did not intrude on our visit. The food was delicious (we ate the "Dine About Town" menu). We were not rushed and sat and visited after we had finished the meal without feeling that we needed to leave. The dining room is beautifully appointed, elegant and quiet but the prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- As always, the service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/25/2013As always, the service was superb--very friendly, welcoming, and efficient. The signature dinner was excellent.Special Features:
- I went to Tommy Toy's lastDerondo5Dined on 1/24/2013I went to Tommy Toy's last year for Dine About town, so I thought I would repeat the visit. I was glad I did. I am also booking lunch as well to their place. Nice selection of foods and more than the necessary two or three items. Very tasty.Special Features:
- Delightful lunch! ServicefoodyVIPDined on 1/21/2013Delightful lunch! Service was excellent and the food was delicious. And the atmosphere was perfect...after shopping in Chinatown with my out of town guest, this was the perfect place to relax and enjoy!Special Features: