Tommy Bahama's Island Grille - Newport Beach
854 Avocado Ave
Newport Beach, CA 92660Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Tommy Bahama's Island Grille - Newport Beach
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tommybahama.com/TBG/Stores_Restaurants/Restaurants/Newport_Beach
- Phone: (949) 760-8686
- Hours of Operation:
Island Time Happy Hour 4:00pm-6:00pm in the bar.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jacquelyn Nabong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music-Please call for schedule. Join us for Island Time where we offer great deals on drinks and appetizers in our Bungalow Bar 4-6pm
- Special Events: Host your next event in PARADISE. Our island-inspired, upscale casual dining is a refreshing change of pace from the everyday. Semi-private and private rooms are available for meetings and dining. Perfect for corporate meetings and events, rehearsal dinners, bridal and baby showers, come to Tommy Bahama where life really is one long weekend.
We offer a variety of services and special features, including: *Trained staff of event professionals *Onsite catering for all occasions *Floral-design services - Leis, etc *Outdoor patio for an evening under the stars *Live music Contact: NewportBeachEvents@tommybahama.com
A word from Tommy Bahama's Island Grille - Newport Beach
Tommy Bahama Island Grille features regional, seasonally fresh cuisine in a casually, elegant setting. Designed for Newport Beach locals and visitors, it is a comfortable oasis where fresh, unpretentious food and an easy, gracious spirit create a unique place to meet and enjoy. The freshest local produce as well as sustainable, health conscious fish are served in both hearty and light preparations. The menu will change with the seasons. Please visit www.tommybahama.com for the most current offerings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Tommy Bahama's Island Grille - Newport Beach - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Tommy Bahama's Island Grille - Newport Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (81)great for lunch (69)neighborhood gem (52)special occasion (45)good for groups (42)fit for foodies (40)hot spot (23)kid-friendly (22)great for brunch (19)romantic (19)vibrant bar scene (17)notable wine list (16)scenic view (6)late-night find (5)Show More
- Great food. Back patio is like being in Hawaii.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014Great food, great service. I would recommend the back patio as it is like being in Hawaii. Very relaxing. Fountain and tropical plants. Heaters for winter, so don't miss out! Halibut was excellent, perfectly cooked! Great place for drinks and socializing with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wolfgangOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014server was absent for a significant time...basically ignoring the 6 of us otherwise it was enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceluvrestaurantsVIPDined on 11/21/2014This was our second time at the restaurant and we looked forward to this based on the first ftime. Our server, Rochelle, amazingly remembered us and made this evening as wonderful as the first. We shared the ahi poke that was again the best. Our crab bisque and chiicken tortilla soup were also delicious. Our entrees were the mahi and salmon and we tasted each others and they were great along with the accompaniments that complemented the fish. Last time, we had the terrific Key Lime Pie and this time shared the Chocolate Pie and both were fantastic. We took home half of the dessert to share again. Tommy Bahama has a great kitchen that prepares food artistically and with seasonings that bring out the best in what they serve. We will return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tommy Bahama's -- Neighborhood GemTakeMyAdviceVIPDined on 11/19/2014Once again we had a great lunch. The current soup/salad special was delicious. Don't miss the key lime pie for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- celebrate a birthday30thanniversaryVIPDined on 11/16/2014We had reservations at 11:30am on a Sunday. From the check in to seating to our wait person, Alexander, everything was perfect. We had several appetizers and a couple of drinks and it was all good. The ahi tacos are delicious; shrimp coconut was a little dry but tasted good nonetheless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I absolutely love this place. The food and service are phenomenal! The cream of crab soup is to dye for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service always consistent..ExpertEaterVIPDined on 11/15/2014This is our go to restaurant...atmosphere makes you feel like your on vacation. Fantastic Mai Tai's and other tropical drinks, best burgers in town and the Lobster Grill Cheese to die for:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reminds us of hawaiiiEATVIPDined on 11/11/2014had the mahi mahi and blue cheese chicken dish. Well prepared and was flavorful. For the few times we've been here, we were pleasantly surprised with the quality of the dishes and tasty mai tais.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, atmosphere, food average.JamesVIPDined on 11/10/2014Great service, food just OK. Chicken sandwich was over-seasoned, but the bisque was excellent. Large portions as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/9/2014The food was very good. This restaurant has not been our favorites list, but we had a $50 coupon we thought we would use. Well, it will be on our list from now on. We brought our son and his children here and there was something for everyone.Special Features:
- Just OK15samDined on 11/8/2014Food was about average for the price. Messed up the order and took about 10-15 minutes to bring out the correct meal for a member of our party; in the meanwhile everyone else felt obligated not to eat until everyone was served. Although manager apologized, no offer of a comp'd dessert or anything else for the inconvenience.
- Great Musician, Great FoodValueMindedVIPDined on 11/7/2014I always enjoy a great restaurant that adds the simplest things to make the dining experience even more enjoyable. Having a musician play music is one of those things. The food is terrific too.Special Features:
- Lunch @ Tommy Bahama'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/6/2014Food was wonderful and service was great! We were seated immediately upon arrival.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad experience, not happyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014Our party of 6 was seated next to a loud singer/guitarist in the bar, when we asked to be moved the waitress said no. All night we couldn't hear each other. The waitress dropped silverware down my back as she brought us new flatware for dessert. Upon leaving we spoke to the manager about the loud music in the bar, which wrecked our evening, and about our request to be moved. "I wish you'd asked me, we could have accommodated you," was the response. So it takes 2 requests to get what we're there for? There was no offer from the manager of a discounted ticket or gift card to give TB another chance to win back our business. We spent $300 but never again. We were loyal patrons many times. It used to be a great place and is no more.
- Visit from NyPaulDined on 10/31/2014Our waiter and food were fantastic and the drinks are always a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentValueMindedVIPDined on 10/26/2014Fantastic service. Server was attentive to my daughter which is all that I ask for in my OpenTable profile. Terrific food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- justmeVIPDined on 10/24/2014Great service, location, drinks, service and resturant!!Special Features:
- Timing is everythingcactusDined on 10/23/2014Food was excellent however our drinks and appetizer came very late and the entre was delivered too early. The waitress apologized twice for the late cocktail but we had a lukewarm entre because of the timing.Special Features:
- Always a good mealDinerDivaVIPDined on 10/20/2014On a quiet Monday night, we and our friends enjoyed a wonderful dinner with great service. I had the jumbo shrimp with linguini and it was very tasty. Two others had the ribs and they said they were very pleased and one had the halibut and said it was perfect. I always want to thank the manager Lorynn (sp?) for her very special consideration. Always appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/18/2014Always a good choice and are never disappointed.friendly servers add to the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice & comfortableRBFeindrDined on 10/10/2014First the ambiance is just right, not too formal and not too casual. The food was really outstanding, but the wait service was excellent. The nice touch is being called by your name. Don't have to do it, but it was nice and made it all very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reminded us of vacationiEATVIPDined on 10/7/2014we ordered the chicken and halibut for dinner. All were prepared well and flavorful. The mai tai was good!
- BellagioVIPDined on 10/5/2014Casual, but upscale dining. Fine to dress casual or bring children. Not an extensive menu, but enough selections for most. Disappointed our waiter didn't ask us about dessert, since we were planning to order their special carrot cake, and since it was our anniversary. He just plopped our bill on the table as he walked past.
- Special EveningMALAMDined on 10/4/2014A Wedding Anniversary that turned out not only special but very memorable ! The atmosphere and friendly greeting of our waiter was especially appreciated. All in all - A Very Nice Touch - A dining experience that you take home and tell family & friends. Thank You Tommy Bahama...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentNiksterDined on 10/3/2014Always a great experience, food, drinks and service. Took two friends for their birthdays. It was their first visit, they said they would return, they were very happy with their experience.Special Features:
- Touch of the IslandsHBfoodieVIPDined on 9/29/2014Enjoyed lunch on the patio. Beautiful tropical ambiance, excellent service and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- They keep it freshEmeraldileVIPDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I stop in at TB's each time we drive down from LA to Balboa Island for our olive oil restocking. We have come to appreciate several things about the restaurant. First, they change the menu frequently and it shows. the ingredients taste so fresh that it hasn't become a tired/tried and true staple. Second, we are gluten free. The kitchen is good about making slight modifications to most of their dishes to accommodate nicely our requests. I had the crab cake, which they simply left out the bread crumbs and let me tell you, it was a big mound of mostly crabmeat in a patty shape. Fantastic. Third, the live entertainment, always tasteful and doesn't drown out conversation. Lovely spot. Nice staff. Don't miss Pineapple Creme Brulee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice special occasionTom28Dined on 9/20/2014Any special occasion we go here. Very comfortable locationSpecial Features:
- luv2eatoutDined on 9/18/2014Food and service was great, but we had no salt & pepper on the table and we had to borrow sugar packets from the people at another table. These items should just be a normal part of the the table setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomedcpdadDined on 9/12/2014This place just keeps getting better and better! The food was fabulous (love the new menu)! The service was absolutely AMAZING!Special Features:
- Delightful and tasty - but...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014It is quite noisy in the interior. They have a small room towards the back where the host sat us when we said we preferred not to be next to screeming little kiddies. Very thoughtful and it helped us have a nice conversation. Server remembered my request for special dessert as it was my guest's birthday. Have eaten here many times and it is always good - their menu is not large and it is a bit pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistent!CarolDined on 9/9/2014I enjoying dining at Tommy Bahamas ONLY if we ca sit outside on their lovely patio. Otherwise, it's too noisy for me inside. The service is always good and they have a killer artichoke to start with.Special Features:
- TXJudiVIPDined on 9/9/2014Had lunch. Terrific cheeseburger with avocado and pineapple salsa.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant experienceStephanieDined on 9/6/2014We had dinner here on Friday. Our table was in their beautiful outside patio/garden. The food, service and ambiance were all excellent! The coconut shrimp and ahi tuna appetizers were outstanding!Special Features:
- Food could be better, good menuJH69Dined on 9/5/2014The food was good but not great and definitely not up to the level of some of the other restaurants in the area. Service was decent and prices are not bad all things considered. It would not be on the top of my list with all of the other choices in the area, although it was really easy to get a reservation here last minute, I guess I understand why.Special Features:
- Nothing specialLuv2caboDined on 8/30/2014Disappointed by limited menu. The menu also didn't list some KEY ingredients in their dish...like mushrooms. I can't stand mushrooms and found myself having to dig them out of my swordfish. I'm not offended by expensive meals but, I expect to get what I paid for. Judging by the size of my fillet, this swordfish must've only been about 30 lbs when caught. Just disappointed all the way around.
- lunch with the girlsdidonpegsusmarDined on 8/27/2014This was the second time my 4 friends and I met for lunch at Tommy's restaurant. The first time was quiet and we could visit with no noise interruptions. The second time we came the music was so loud and the "beat " was such a pounding one that we could not hear one another and practically had to shout across the table to be able to follow the conversation. I would not come back for this very reason. On the positive side, our server was great and didn't bother us so could visit and spend time together. Of course, we left her a nice tip...Special Features:
- Crab CakesPaulaDined on 8/25/2014The VERY best crab cakes i have ever had! No fillers or spices that over powered the taste of the crab. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- GreatFoodluvrestaurantsVIPDined on 8/23/2014Went for the first time and can't wait to come back. Shared the best ahi/avocado appetizer we've had in a long time. Cups of crab bisque and heirloom tomato soup were delicious and Hot! Each had linguini with tiger shrimp that was also suberb. Shared the key lime pie which was the best and had coffee that was both great tasting and Hot! Good coffee is often elusive even in good restaurants, but not here. We look forward to returning and trying other seafood plates. Service was also friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good but service was notOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Unfortunately we sat by a very loud group of women who cackled all throughout our dinner. In addition to the loudness the service was sub par in many ways. The food was pretty good but I would say the portions can be small for the price.Special Features: