Tommy Bahama's Island Grille - Newport Beach
854 Avocado Ave
Newport Beach, CA 92660Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Tommy Bahama's Island Grille - Newport Beach
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tommybahama.com/TBG/Stores_Restaurants/Restaurants/Newport_Beach
- Phone: 9497608686
- Hours of Operation:
Island Time Happy Hour 4:00pm-6:00pm in the bar.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jacquelyn Nabong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music-Please call for schedule. Join us for Island Time where we offer great deals on drinks and appetizers in our Bungalow Bar 4-6pm
- Special Events: Host your next event in PARADISE. Our island-inspired, upscale casual dining is a refreshing change of pace from the everyday. Semi-private and private rooms are available for meetings and dining. Perfect for corporate meetings and events, rehearsal dinners, bridal and baby showers, come to Tommy Bahama where life really is one long weekend.
We offer a variety of services and special features, including: *Trained staff of event professionals *Onsite catering for all occasions *Floral-design services - Leis, etc *Outdoor patio for an evening under the stars *Live music Contact: NewportBeachEvents@tommybahama.com
A word from Tommy Bahama's Island Grille - Newport Beach
Tommy Bahama Island Grille features regional, seasonally fresh cuisine in a casually, elegant setting. Designed for Newport Beach locals and visitors, it is a comfortable oasis where fresh, unpretentious food and an easy, gracious spirit create a unique place to meet and enjoy. The freshest local produce as well as sustainable, health conscious fish are served in both hearty and light preparations. The menu will change with the seasons. Please visit www.tommybahama.com for the most current offerings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Tommy Bahama's Island Grille - Newport Beach - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Tommy Bahama's Island Grille - Newport Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (99)great for lunch (90)special occasion (57)neighborhood gem (57)fit for foodies (46)good for groups (44)kid-friendly (32)vibrant bar scene (29)great for brunch (26)romantic (22)hot spot (14)notable wine list (8)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- lunch with the girlsdidonpegsusmarDined on 8/27/2014This was the second time my 4 friends and I met for lunch at Tommy's restaurant. The first time was quiet and we could visit with no noise interruptions. The second time we came the music was so loud and the "beat " was such a pounding one that we could not hear one another and practically had to shout across the table to be able to follow the conversation. I would not come back for this very reason. On the positive side, our server was great and didn't bother us so could visit and spend time together. Of course, we left her a nice tip...Special Features:
- Crab CakesPaulaDined on 8/25/2014The VERY best crab cakes i have ever had! No fillers or spices that over powered the taste of the crab. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- GreatFoodluvrestaurantsVIPDined on 8/23/2014Went for the first time and can't wait to come back. Shared the best ahi/avocado appetizer we've had in a long time. Cups of crab bisque and heirloom tomato soup were delicious and Hot! Each had linguini with tiger shrimp that was also suberb. Shared the key lime pie which was the best and had coffee that was both great tasting and Hot! Good coffee is often elusive even in good restaurants, but not here. We look forward to returning and trying other seafood plates. Service was also friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good but service was notOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Unfortunately we sat by a very loud group of women who cackled all throughout our dinner. In addition to the loudness the service was sub par in many ways. The food was pretty good but I would say the portions can be small for the price.Special Features:
- JoeTVIPDined on 8/16/2014Not the best experience this time the server was very good but the management no so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu, atmosphere and drinksBrianVIPDined on 8/16/2014Overall a great find. The menu has a nice selection of options from sandwiches, salads and entrees. The pork sandwich is delicious. Everyone in our group enjoyed their lunch!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperThequeenbird1VIPDined on 8/15/2014Everyone so nice and friendly. Food presentation was excellent!Special Features:
- Thank YougeofwickDined on 8/5/2014I ate at Tommy Bahama many years ago and I was looking for a place to have our Rehearsal Dinner for our wedding on Aug. 16th. We only have 6 in our party and some other restaurants are limited. We had a wonderful time last night and Naomi N. was SUPER. Just one little thing was we both had the burgers, (two different ones) and I asked for Medium and it was kind of well done-no pink. My partner asked for well done and it was really, really well done--maybe a bit too much. Well we will be back on Aug, 15 for our dinner party and try again. Thank you so much. Geof WickettSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatPetPalDined on 8/3/2014I have been to this restaurant several times with family and friends and everyone has always raved about it. The food and service are consistently great. We have tried several of the menu items and have never been disappointed. The restaurant has always been clean and comfortable, and is beautifully designed. I would strongly recommend Tommy Bahama's of Newport Beach to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotbrianoVIPDined on 7/27/2014Love the food... not sure why I didn't get my points since we made our reservation but... the food is good! I mean if I am coming to Newport Beach and eating in this strip mall instead of one of the places right on the water you know the food is the reason. Good food, pretty good service. Will be back soon.Special Features:
- RobFVIPDined on 7/25/2014Nice surprise. Great atomosphere, food was delicious, and staff was very attentive. Only shortdpfall would be to expand the menu some, maybe add some "small plates" for those who don't have big appetites. Overall, I would recommend it and return myself.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableCDMLocalVIPDined on 7/25/2014Food and service good here, but a bit noisy for my taste.Special Features:
- Slight mis-stepalphonso14VIPDined on 7/24/2014We've dined here many times and have always found it consistent. This visit, for some reason, the service was a bit off. The server was pleasant and seemed accommodating but for some reason didn't get things quite right. We had each asked for our cocktails prepared a certain way and were told that would be no problem. When they arrived the requests had not be followed but since we had waited a while for the drinks we took them as they were. We also requested our entrée salads with no dressing but dressing served on the side. Again we were told no problem but they arrived tossed with dressing and dressing on the side. Because of the wait we took them as is. Not major problems but if something similar happened again I'd consider it a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OrdinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Sadly, two out three meals were ordinary. Reviewing the three meals the Steak Salad was good but both the hamburger plate and the Pork sandwich plate were non-events. I know the restaurant is capable of serving a good meal but apparently two of us chose badly. The small lobby in the restaurant was chaotic at 11:30 when restaurant opened for lunch. Staff seemed confused and poorly organized. The outside patio is inviting which is the primary reason we occasionally use the restaurant. We will return at some point for the outdoor dining experience but the restaurant is not among our top 5 choices for the area.Special Features:
- Always a great choiceGreatEaterVIPDined on 7/22/2014Have been here several times for lunch. Always consistently good. Love some of their specialty dises like the Ahi Poke appetizer. They are always busy yet the service is impeccable. My Server was really great. Was always there when U needed yet left U along long enough to have a discussion at the table. Good for a quick lunch meeting. And of course it wouldn't be complete without their signature cocktails. The MaiTai being my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great group restaurant!cslayDined on 7/20/2014We had a wonderful lunch celebrating my mom's birthday. The server was great, food delicious, and entertainment (live music) delightful. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeated visitCathyDined on 7/19/2014We always stop here when down in Newport. The food, service, and ambience make even a work day feel like we are on vacation. We will definitely be back,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the best!JennaDined on 7/17/2014Everything was as perfect as can be! Our waiter named Bradley was awesome and the food was as great as it can get!!!! I live days like this!Special Features:
- YUM!VersaceVIPDined on 7/15/2014We love the coconut shrimp, the crab bisque and their Steak Salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite newport diningCitygalDined on 7/13/2014One of our favorite places to eat in the newport area. Great food, good atmosphere, nice island feel. Reservations help, but not necessary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite!!Nurse31Dined on 7/12/2014The lobster grilled cheese sandwich is amazingly DEVINE and it is served with a heirloom tomato soup the best tomato soup I have ever had!!!!!! A must have. The mango tea was so refreshing on a hot summer night!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not be back.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/6/2014Although the food was good and the service great, the noise level was overwhelming. The live music was so loud that we had to shout at each other to be heard. Not a good place for a relaxing lunch. Glad we tried it though. At least we know it is not for us.
- ALWAYS EXCELLENTJezzyDined on 7/4/2014TOMMY BAHAMAS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THE FOOD IS ALWAYS GREAT AND THE SERVICE ALSO!Special Features:
- RATS on patioohratsDined on 7/3/2014We decided to eat outside on the patio on such a beautiful evening. We had planned a dinner with old friends. As the patio cleared and the sun set, the RATS began to run through the bushes just next to the table where we were eating. All four of us saw and identified the rodents. We notified the manager on duty that night and she simply said, "Oh, that's not good. Thank you for letting me know." Really? That will be our last $200 dinner with rats and mediocre food, poor service and a manager who simply isn't concerned about the health concerns.Special Features:
- LUNCH AT TOMMY BAHAMA'SPoppaDVIPDined on 6/30/2014Had a great lunch at Tommy Bahama's. We had the American Kobe Burger and the Grilled Chicken Sandwich. Both were cooked to our specifications and tasted wonderful. Great service as we enjoyed our outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding fish tacosDeLishVIPDined on 6/24/2014I come here often, especially for lunch with girl friends. We always share the fish tacos as it is a plate with 3 tacos and we ask for 4 tacos and have them split it, two each. That's plenty as they are large, filled with fish, cole slaw and a delicious sauce. The service is outstanding and friendly. Noise level at lunch is quiet but in the evening with people drinking it can be a little noisy. ENJOY!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/22/2014We both enjoyed ourselves thanks you we will be backSpecial Features:
- Bridal Shower Lunch a Bummer!Spoony2Dined on 6/20/2014We originally booked this restaurant for a bridal shower lunch because the bride is honeymooning in Hawaii. We were a party of 5 and sat on the patio, which was noisy but okay. Our reservation was for 1:15, so I thought it would be after the lunch rush and not an issue, however, our server Danielle must have been ready to clock out before we even sat down. She rushed us through our lunch with our orders being taken around 1:40pm and the time on my bill reads 2:27pm. Remember, this is supposed to be a bridal shower luncheon. At no time did she engage with our group, did not congratulate the bride or do anything to make her lunch special in any way. The total bill for 5 of us for lunch was $274.00 -- needless to say I was disapointed!
- Perfection!330toSRT8VIPDined on 6/19/2014Delicious food and outstanding service! We stop here frequently and it's consistently great.Special Features:
- AwesomedcpdadDined on 6/15/2014We had such an amazing Family time celebrating two birthdays and Fathers Day. Our waiter "M" was over-the-top excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day @ Tommy'sAanita66Dined on 6/15/2014Great place to take Dad for father's day, food and service were great, and he got to do a little shopping on the way out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always.AnonDined on 6/14/2014Food was great as it always is. Didn't have to wait for a table even though it was busy. Waitress was great also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014The restaurant provided great service, food, and the staff was so accommodating in helping us celebrate a special birthday for a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always stop here!CathyDined on 6/13/2014We love the musical ambiance! The musicians have all been excellent and the servers provide wonderful suggestions from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good.CharlieWDined on 6/8/2014Tommy Bahamas has become a "go to" restaurant when I am looking on good quality lunch or dinner is an enjoyable atmosphere without being overly fancy or expensive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/8/2014From the moment we arrived all went well, Every thing was absolutely perfect- we expected nothing less. We love all three SoCal locations. Thanks!Special Features:
- Tommy Bahamas Newport BeachDaveyDined on 6/7/2014Receptionist Frazzled Even Though I had booked a Booth for 2 & I arrived on timeSpecial Features:
- GREAT EXPERIENCE!CFNOBISDined on 6/7/2014Tried this place for the first time and based on the recommendation from the waiter we all tried the Halibut. One of the best I have ever had. We also did the Coconut strip which was also very good. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BUSINESS LUNCH WINNEROpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/3/2014Always enjoy feeling like I'm in Maui and good food!Special Features:
- Great place great foodFoodcritic678546Dined on 5/24/2014Can't go wrong. We've been here on many occasions and can't say enough about the food, service and overall vibeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.