Tommy Bahama's Island Grille - Newport Beach
854 Avocado Ave
Newport Beach, CA 92660Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Tommy Bahama's Island Grille - Newport Beach
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tommybahama.com/TBG/Stores_Restaurants/Restaurants/Newport_Beach
- Phone: 9497608686
- Hours of Operation:
Island Time Happy Hour 4:00pm-6:00pm in the bar.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jacquelyn Nabong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music-Please call for schedule. Join us for Island Time where we offer great deals on drinks and appetizers in our Bungalow Bar 4-6pm
- Special Events: Host your next event in PARADISE. Our island-inspired, upscale casual dining is a refreshing change of pace from the everyday. Semi-private and private rooms are available for meetings and dining. Perfect for corporate meetings and events, rehearsal dinners, bridal and baby showers, come to Tommy Bahama where life really is one long weekend.
We offer a variety of services and special features, including: *Trained staff of event professionals *Onsite catering for all occasions *Floral-design services - Leis, etc *Outdoor patio for an evening under the stars *Live music Contact: NewportBeachEvents@tommybahama.com
A word from Tommy Bahama's Island Grille - Newport Beach
Tommy Bahama Island Grille features regional, seasonally fresh cuisine in a casually, elegant setting. Designed for Newport Beach locals and visitors, it is a comfortable oasis where fresh, unpretentious food and an easy, gracious spirit create a unique place to meet and enjoy. The freshest local produce as well as sustainable, health conscious fish are served in both hearty and light preparations. The menu will change with the seasons. Please visit www.tommybahama.com for the most current offerings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Tommy Bahama's Island Grille - Newport Beach - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Tommy Bahama's Island Grille - Newport Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (91)great for lunch (83)neighborhood gem (59)special occasion (48)fit for foodies (47)good for groups (44)kid-friendly (27)vibrant bar scene (24)great for brunch (22)hot spot (22)romantic (21)notable wine list (11)scenic view (4)late-night find (3)Show More
- Always a good mealDinerDivaVIPDined on 10/20/2014On a quiet Monday night, we and our friends enjoyed a wonderful dinner with great service. I had the jumbo shrimp with linguini and it was very tasty. Two others had the ribs and they said they were very pleased and one had the halibut and said it was perfect. I always want to thank the manager Lorynn (sp?) for her very special consideration. Always appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Always a good choice and are never disappointed.friendly servers add to the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice & comfortableRBFeindrDined on 10/10/2014First the ambiance is just right, not too formal and not too casual. The food was really outstanding, but the wait service was excellent. The nice touch is being called by your name. Don't have to do it, but it was nice and made it all very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reminded us of vacationiEATVIPDined on 10/7/2014we ordered the chicken and halibut for dinner. All were prepared well and flavorful. The mai tai was good!
- BellagioVIPDined on 10/5/2014Casual, but upscale dining. Fine to dress casual or bring children. Not an extensive menu, but enough selections for most. Disappointed our waiter didn't ask us about dessert, since we were planning to order their special carrot cake, and since it was our anniversary. He just plopped our bill on the table as he walked past.
- Special EveningMALAMDined on 10/4/2014A Wedding Anniversary that turned out not only special but very memorable ! The atmosphere and friendly greeting of our waiter was especially appreciated. All in all - A Very Nice Touch - A dining experience that you take home and tell family & friends. Thank You Tommy Bahama...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentNiksterDined on 10/3/2014Always a great experience, food, drinks and service. Took two friends for their birthdays. It was their first visit, they said they would return, they were very happy with their experience.Special Features:
- Touch of the IslandsHBfoodieVIPDined on 9/29/2014Enjoyed lunch on the patio. Beautiful tropical ambiance, excellent service and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- They keep it freshEmeraldileVIPDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I stop in at TB's each time we drive down from LA to Balboa Island for our olive oil restocking. We have come to appreciate several things about the restaurant. First, they change the menu frequently and it shows. the ingredients taste so fresh that it hasn't become a tired/tried and true staple. Second, we are gluten free. The kitchen is good about making slight modifications to most of their dishes to accommodate nicely our requests. I had the crab cake, which they simply left out the bread crumbs and let me tell you, it was a big mound of mostly crabmeat in a patty shape. Fantastic. Third, the live entertainment, always tasteful and doesn't drown out conversation. Lovely spot. Nice staff. Don't miss Pineapple Creme Brulee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice special occasionTom28Dined on 9/20/2014Any special occasion we go here. Very comfortable locationSpecial Features:
- luv2eatoutDined on 9/18/2014Food and service was great, but we had no salt & pepper on the table and we had to borrow sugar packets from the people at another table. These items should just be a normal part of the the table setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomedcpdadDined on 9/12/2014This place just keeps getting better and better! The food was fabulous (love the new menu)! The service was absolutely AMAZING!Special Features:
- Delightful and tasty - but...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014It is quite noisy in the interior. They have a small room towards the back where the host sat us when we said we preferred not to be next to screeming little kiddies. Very thoughtful and it helped us have a nice conversation. Server remembered my request for special dessert as it was my guest's birthday. Have eaten here many times and it is always good - their menu is not large and it is a bit pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistent!CarolDined on 9/9/2014I enjoying dining at Tommy Bahamas ONLY if we ca sit outside on their lovely patio. Otherwise, it's too noisy for me inside. The service is always good and they have a killer artichoke to start with.Special Features:
- TXJudiVIPDined on 9/9/2014Had lunch. Terrific cheeseburger with avocado and pineapple salsa.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant experienceStephanieDined on 9/6/2014We had dinner here on Friday. Our table was in their beautiful outside patio/garden. The food, service and ambiance were all excellent! The coconut shrimp and ahi tuna appetizers were outstanding!Special Features:
- Food could be better, good menuJH69Dined on 9/5/2014The food was good but not great and definitely not up to the level of some of the other restaurants in the area. Service was decent and prices are not bad all things considered. It would not be on the top of my list with all of the other choices in the area, although it was really easy to get a reservation here last minute, I guess I understand why.Special Features:
- Nothing specialLuv2caboDined on 8/30/2014Disappointed by limited menu. The menu also didn't list some KEY ingredients in their dish...like mushrooms. I can't stand mushrooms and found myself having to dig them out of my swordfish. I'm not offended by expensive meals but, I expect to get what I paid for. Judging by the size of my fillet, this swordfish must've only been about 30 lbs when caught. Just disappointed all the way around.
- lunch with the girlsdidonpegsusmarDined on 8/27/2014This was the second time my 4 friends and I met for lunch at Tommy's restaurant. The first time was quiet and we could visit with no noise interruptions. The second time we came the music was so loud and the "beat " was such a pounding one that we could not hear one another and practically had to shout across the table to be able to follow the conversation. I would not come back for this very reason. On the positive side, our server was great and didn't bother us so could visit and spend time together. Of course, we left her a nice tip...Special Features:
- Crab CakesPaulaDined on 8/25/2014The VERY best crab cakes i have ever had! No fillers or spices that over powered the taste of the crab. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- GreatFoodluvrestaurantsVIPDined on 8/23/2014Went for the first time and can't wait to come back. Shared the best ahi/avocado appetizer we've had in a long time. Cups of crab bisque and heirloom tomato soup were delicious and Hot! Each had linguini with tiger shrimp that was also suberb. Shared the key lime pie which was the best and had coffee that was both great tasting and Hot! Good coffee is often elusive even in good restaurants, but not here. We look forward to returning and trying other seafood plates. Service was also friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good but service was notOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Unfortunately we sat by a very loud group of women who cackled all throughout our dinner. In addition to the loudness the service was sub par in many ways. The food was pretty good but I would say the portions can be small for the price.Special Features:
- JoeTVIPDined on 8/16/2014Not the best experience this time the server was very good but the management no so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu, atmosphere and drinksBrianVIPDined on 8/16/2014Overall a great find. The menu has a nice selection of options from sandwiches, salads and entrees. The pork sandwich is delicious. Everyone in our group enjoyed their lunch!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperThequeenbird1VIPDined on 8/15/2014Everyone so nice and friendly. Food presentation was excellent!Special Features:
- Thank YougeofwickDined on 8/5/2014I ate at Tommy Bahama many years ago and I was looking for a place to have our Rehearsal Dinner for our wedding on Aug. 16th. We only have 6 in our party and some other restaurants are limited. We had a wonderful time last night and Naomi N. was SUPER. Just one little thing was we both had the burgers, (two different ones) and I asked for Medium and it was kind of well done-no pink. My partner asked for well done and it was really, really well done--maybe a bit too much. Well we will be back on Aug, 15 for our dinner party and try again. Thank you so much. Geof WickettSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatPetPalDined on 8/3/2014I have been to this restaurant several times with family and friends and everyone has always raved about it. The food and service are consistently great. We have tried several of the menu items and have never been disappointed. The restaurant has always been clean and comfortable, and is beautifully designed. I would strongly recommend Tommy Bahama's of Newport Beach to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotbrianoVIPDined on 7/27/2014Love the food... not sure why I didn't get my points since we made our reservation but... the food is good! I mean if I am coming to Newport Beach and eating in this strip mall instead of one of the places right on the water you know the food is the reason. Good food, pretty good service. Will be back soon.Special Features:
- RobFVIPDined on 7/25/2014Nice surprise. Great atomosphere, food was delicious, and staff was very attentive. Only shortdpfall would be to expand the menu some, maybe add some "small plates" for those who don't have big appetites. Overall, I would recommend it and return myself.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableCDMLocalVIPDined on 7/25/2014Food and service good here, but a bit noisy for my taste.Special Features:
- Slight mis-stepalphonso14VIPDined on 7/24/2014We've dined here many times and have always found it consistent. This visit, for some reason, the service was a bit off. The server was pleasant and seemed accommodating but for some reason didn't get things quite right. We had each asked for our cocktails prepared a certain way and were told that would be no problem. When they arrived the requests had not be followed but since we had waited a while for the drinks we took them as they were. We also requested our entrée salads with no dressing but dressing served on the side. Again we were told no problem but they arrived tossed with dressing and dressing on the side. Because of the wait we took them as is. Not major problems but if something similar happened again I'd consider it a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OrdinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Sadly, two out three meals were ordinary. Reviewing the three meals the Steak Salad was good but both the hamburger plate and the Pork sandwich plate were non-events. I know the restaurant is capable of serving a good meal but apparently two of us chose badly. The small lobby in the restaurant was chaotic at 11:30 when restaurant opened for lunch. Staff seemed confused and poorly organized. The outside patio is inviting which is the primary reason we occasionally use the restaurant. We will return at some point for the outdoor dining experience but the restaurant is not among our top 5 choices for the area.Special Features:
- Always a great choiceGreatEaterVIPDined on 7/22/2014Have been here several times for lunch. Always consistently good. Love some of their specialty dises like the Ahi Poke appetizer. They are always busy yet the service is impeccable. My Server was really great. Was always there when U needed yet left U along long enough to have a discussion at the table. Good for a quick lunch meeting. And of course it wouldn't be complete without their signature cocktails. The MaiTai being my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great group restaurant!cslayDined on 7/20/2014We had a wonderful lunch celebrating my mom's birthday. The server was great, food delicious, and entertainment (live music) delightful. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeated visitCathyDined on 7/19/2014We always stop here when down in Newport. The food, service, and ambience make even a work day feel like we are on vacation. We will definitely be back,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the best!JennaDined on 7/17/2014Everything was as perfect as can be! Our waiter named Bradley was awesome and the food was as great as it can get!!!! I live days like this!Special Features:
- YUM!VersaceVIPDined on 7/15/2014We love the coconut shrimp, the crab bisque and their Steak Salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite newport diningCitygalDined on 7/13/2014One of our favorite places to eat in the newport area. Great food, good atmosphere, nice island feel. Reservations help, but not necessary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite!!Nurse31Dined on 7/12/2014The lobster grilled cheese sandwich is amazingly DEVINE and it is served with a heirloom tomato soup the best tomato soup I have ever had!!!!!! A must have. The mango tea was so refreshing on a hot summer night!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not be back.ReviewVIPDined on 7/6/2014Although the food was good and the service great, the noise level was overwhelming. The live music was so loud that we had to shout at each other to be heard. Not a good place for a relaxing lunch. Glad we tried it though. At least we know it is not for us.