9300 Amherst Avenue
Margate, NJ 08402Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tomatoesmargate.com/
- Phone: 6098227535
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Californian
- Executive Chef: Carmen Rone
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant has 3 dining rooms. Two can be closed for privacy.
- Private Party Contact: Kristyn Cella 6098227535
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment
Mondays- Geno & The Budesa Brothers
Tuesday & Thursday - DJ Sparkles
Wednesday, Friday, Saturday- DJ Steve O.
A word from Tomatoes
Casual chic by the bay. Tomatoe's offers exquisite California cuisine complimented by an extensive wine list in a warmly welcoming setting. A sophisticated bar scene makes Tomatoes the perfect spot to spend an evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Tomatoes - Best Restaurants in Margate ›
Tomatoes reviews from OpenTable diners
301 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (182)hot spot (153)fit for foodies (148)special occasion (133)neighborhood gem (118)good for groups (101)romantic (58)notable wine list (45)late-night find (37)kid-friendly (20)scenic view (17)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Best meal Ive ever had!DindintymeDined on 9/16/2014Have you ever eaten a meal and every bite was better than the next. That was what happened with my tuna. It was out of this world. I often order tuna and it was the best ever! The succotash with quinoa endamane and corn was just as spectacular. Cant wait to go back!! A must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeniseVIPDined on 9/13/2014Never disappoints - Love this place! Have been here many times when in the area and always ready to come back!!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised:# 1 in MargateSpitdocVIPDined on 9/13/2014Having had a really good meal at Steve and Cookies, we thought that we had eaten at the best Margate restaurant. Nope. Tomatoes was better! Menu was better and every dish was yummy. Skirt Steak,Tuna & Burger were all great. Nice dining experience. Few service ouches: 1. we were seated AFTER people coming after us despite having reservation 2. Water was never refreshed time and time again. 3. Waitress had to read ingredients off her cheat sheet and never told us prices It got old asking. "& how much was the beet salad and the Tile Fish & The dessert?"4. 6 oz milk for my 3 yr old was THREE DOLLARS!!! 5. Check left on table right as dessert delivered! 6. Waitress may have worked at pizza joint by day and Tomatoes by night. Overall: A-Special Features:
- Always a fantastic mealMamafriedsDined on 9/12/2014We have been dining at tomatoes since they opened, and have never had a bad mealSpecial Features:
- YumgirlYumgirlDined on 9/12/2014Tomatoes is a quality restaurant. With only the finest ingredients, it always is perfect. With a varied menu, there's something for everyone. If you love sushi, this is the restaurant for you. Believe it or not, their hamburger is amazing! For the healthy diner, it has a wonderful selection of amazing salads. This is a very upscale restaurant which has a young casual ambience. It is a local favorite. It just doesn't get better than this! Thank you Carmen! You and Karen have truly created a "gem" of a restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool placeFoodieDebVIPDined on 9/12/2014It was nice but very pricy! Very crowded so apparently the locals know just where to go. The sushi was good but not the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- A true findOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014Had a relative who always spoke highly about Tomaties when in Margate. Now I know why!!! It was fantastic! Will make it a go to place always on our visits to the ?Jersey shore.Special Features:
- FoodloverDined on 9/4/2014Good choice of appetizers entrees were excellent. Service needed a smile and some personality!keylime pie was a big hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tingazDined on 9/4/2014Tomatoes is always good. We've only had one bad night there and it was New Year's Eve about 5 years ago. Highly recommend it to everyone.Special Features:
- Nice place but limited menuEdw213Dined on 9/4/2014We like going to Tomatos since the food is good, however they don't change the menu often enough or add enough new entry's to make us want to come back. For such a nice place you think they would mix it up more.Special Features:
- Big DisappointmentBostonVisitorVIPDined on 9/4/2014This was our 10 plus time at Tomatoes. This visit included 2 celebrations. Let me start with food. The appetizers, beratta, chowder, shaved Brussel Sprouts, and califlower were fine, but not memorable. Main courses were only adequate. The burger was fine but looked lonely on rge plate. The tuna sauce is a bit too sweet. The service was not adequate. Our waitress asked about drinks and when we declined she frowned. She spent most of the meal speaking to employes rather touching base with us There was no mention of our celebrations though I added it to the reservation and twice after that. My wife was told that we needed to buy a dessert. I don't plan to return to Tomatoes for quite a while.
- Don't BotherNamsussDined on 9/1/2014Virtually no service, drinks served 45 minutes after ordered, food overpriced, difficult to understand why it was even crowded in the first place.
- A wonderful eveningIreneDined on 8/31/2014Our evening at Tomatoes was perfect! Great food, wonderful service, best bar and even though it was a holiday weekend we were not rushed. We will return frequently now that we found this gem of a restaurant.Special Features:
- Good but not for pastaMiamiDined on 8/31/2014The crab cakes are outstanding but The spaghetti with meatballs was Awful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GabsDined on 8/30/2014I have never had a bad meal here, love it! Great for date night or a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealYellbyVIPDined on 8/30/2014The food is always delicious coupled with great service. The only thing it is missing is outdoor seating overlooking the bay........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014One of our favorite restaurants! Service and food was excellent.Special Features:
- DatenightdiningDined on 8/27/2014Great happy hour and dinner was fantastic. The tuna and filet were cooked perfectly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- travlerinteresteddinnerDined on 8/27/2014was a nice place to dine, the special was good, service was goodSpecial Features:
- Great goodElleDined on 8/27/2014If you bring kids, ask what they have for kids options. There is no formal kid's menu but they will make chicken tenders with fries (etc.). Also, if your child has sensory input challenges, the toilet auto flush and the hand dryer in the bathroom is very very loud so beware. Otherwise, this place was amazing. Best Chilean sea bass I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurant, great servicekmapDined on 8/26/2014As always, we had a great dining experience at Tomatoes. This time even better due to our waiter John Paul who was delightful, witty and extremely entertaining! We especially liked sitting in the back room which was less crowded and noisy. Food was awesome, service couldn't be better. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Lame food and servicemoishVIPDined on 8/26/2014Waitress was very weak. I ordered soup and it never came. Food was just ok tuna was too well done and lobster was tasteless. Am not in a hurry to return
- OK if you must goNorthkingVIPDined on 8/26/2014If this restaurant were in the city, it might on a lucky day pull a "B" grade. But it's at the shore, with limited competition, so its draws business by default. You won't go away mad--but you won't go away happy, either.
- charged us for a soda that spilled.BeachDined on 8/26/2014Steak was over cooked then a new steak was brought out when everyone already eat
- Food and serviceTripleDined on 8/25/2014Very disappointed in the quality of the food. Ordered a wedge if lettuce and it was soggy. Extremely skimpy on shrimp tempura and pasta dish with crab was not good, crab was fishy. Service was not good. Could not get pepper for dishes, nor a glass of wine before dinner was served. When we went to manager we received an apology. They honestly did not care. Will not go back.
- Wonderful restaurantDoxyLadyVIPDined on 8/25/2014Wide variety of excellent food, from creative American dishes to sushi. Everything superb. Great ambience and service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodLisaDined on 8/24/2014Everyone loved the Hummas appitizer as well as the calamari and the sushi. We always enjoy it when we eat at Tomatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentUrDocVIPDined on 8/21/2014Great go-to place but you'll need reservations during summer season . Varied food choices with great sushi too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Soup was not good. Dinner was just Ok high priced without the Wow factor.Special Features:
- Some New ItemsOCBeachDined on 8/20/2014I have visited Tomatoes several times and have always enjoyed the atmosphere and food quality. The menu appears to have some new items and our meals were all very good. Tomatoes has a very lively atmosphere especially in the main bar location. Our server was personable and very knowledgeable about the menu. Will definitely return in the near future. This is one of our favorite Happy Hour spots although on this occasion we enjoyed a family dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & Service OutstandingScottyDined on 8/17/2014Everything was great great, from our engaging waiter to cocktails, appetizers, salad , entre, wine and dessert!Special Features:
- ShoremarkbDined on 8/17/2014Perfect as always. Cuban pork chop was perfectly seasoned. Calamari was deliciousSpecial Features:
- Hits and missesFoodisfunVIPDined on 8/16/2014To start, our waitress apparently landed at restaurant two days before and wasn't trained. She was clueless about menu - portion size of fish, preparation of items, finally acknowledging she had just started. I loved my bass - though don't get pairing with carrots and string beans. Just didn't work with the Asian flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oenophile151Dined on 8/16/2014Noise level in dining area detracts from an otherwise well presented dinner
- Not this timeRSBKFVIPDined on 8/15/2014Really love Tomatoes, it’s my place to start the weekend, but this time it really fell short. Started with a room temperature martini and mediocre oysters. Service was like a sprint. My guest was still chewing her salad when the entrée arrived, and instead of just turning back to the kitchen and telling our server that we were not done our salads, the kid that brought the food tried to make force it onto our tiny 2 top wedged along the entrance to the main dining room. If we had not asked to slow things down, we would have been rushed in and out in less than 30 minutes. Food was good, not great, but the rushing made everything unpleasant. Usually a favorite, I hope just an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud and rushedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014Our waiter was harried and inexperienced. It took 3 tries to get our bottle of wine order correct. My seafood platter was served with no picks for eating the lobster, and no separate dish for shells and scraps. Our first disappointing experience after many prior visits to this restaurant, most likely the result of an ineffective waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TomatoesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Service was just not up to usual standards, had to request bread, long wait for check & cappuccino was terrible.Special Features:
- Great food - loud as heckOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/13/2014Food was excellent - tasteful, creative, & unique flavors. Service was good but not super-attentive. Big issue was noise - music too loud - like being at a wedding & sitting at a table next to the band.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at TomatoesfirsttimeDined on 8/12/2014We had dinner for four at Tomatoes the other evening. The couple we were with love Sushi and they very much enjoyed their meal. The service was great with a very helpful and informative server. We were not rushed and had a very enjoyable evening. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- One of my favs!DebK419Dined on 8/12/2014We go here on a yearly basis when we hit Sea Isle City. No one ever leaves hungry and there is something for everyone. I dinged the service down two stars because it took forever to get our entrees. The waitress said there was a party of 24 and it was holding up the kitchen. I failed to believe that because I noticed tables around us who had arrived after us were getting their food before us. Other then that it was a perfect night!Special Features: