9300 Amherst Avenue
Margate, NJ 08402Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tomatoesmargate.com/
- Phone: 6098227535
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Californian
- Executive Chef: Carmen Rone
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant has 3 dining rooms. Two can be closed for privacy.
- Private Party Contact: Kristyn Cella 6098227535
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment
Mondays- Geno & The Budesa Brothers
Tuesday & Thursday - DJ Sparkles
Wednesday, Friday, Saturday- DJ Steve O.
A word from Tomatoes
Casual chic by the bay. Tomatoe's offers exquisite California cuisine complimented by an extensive wine list in a warmly welcoming setting. A sophisticated bar scene makes Tomatoes the perfect spot to spend an evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Tomatoes - Best Restaurants in Margate ›
Tomatoes reviews from OpenTable diners
294 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (186)fit for foodies (156)hot spot (155)special occasion (125)neighborhood gem (124)good for groups (107)romantic (55)notable wine list (45)late-night find (31)kid-friendly (20)scenic view (15)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Love itOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014Tomatoes is always our 'go to' place. Service is great and food is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service... Pre made foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014wait staff was awesome. But. All the side dishes were obviously made that morning and kept warm. At this price point, that's unacceptable. you cannot scoop and finsh your entre plates. No no!Special Features:
- A bit pricey but tasty!NicoleVVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had a nice date night! Great sushi. Great wine. Great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Place AlltogetherOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014Very good ambiance. Food is very good. You won't have the best meal of your life, but you won't be at all disappointed. Chilean sea bass is always good, calamari is very good as well. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2014Tomatoes was excellent, great food and service, they also have the best sushi in south jersey. Vibrant bar scene and music during and after dinner late nto the night.Special Features:
- Our favorite shore restaurantHealthyMomDined on 9/27/2014Once again Tomatoes didn't disappoint. The food here was excellent. I had the Chilean sea bass which was light yet very flavorful. My husband had the lobster ravioli bolognese which was absolutely amazing. We finished off with an excellent apple pie - the apples were slightly crispy with just a hint of sugar and cinnamon. Can't wait to come back the next time we are down the shore.Special Features:
- Always Top NotchBonAppetitDined on 9/27/2014We dine at Tomotoes at least once a year and always have a fantastic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinnerTheOriginalTODined on 9/26/2014We had a nice dinner.Had not been here in a while and we enjoyed our visit and look forward to coming back in the future. Large group behind us make the noise level a little higher than we would have preferredSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TomatoescjgrogVIPDined on 9/21/2014Amazing food! Amazing ambience! Service OK but lukewarm attitude. Will return just for the food.Special Features:
- Always a Great Meal and ExperiencenjfoodiesouthDined on 9/20/2014The food is always top notch from their quality, to creativity, to seasonal changes, I know I can always get a consistently amazing meal. I usually come here for happy hour's but love to dine in the dining room for occasions or when people are in town. Their desserts are incredible! Just had the chocolate chip cheesecake. Even the boyfriend had some and he never has dessert. Swordfish special was delicious and a great portion. Fennel leek soup was delicious as well. And if you love calamari, the salt and pepper calamari is hands down the BEST I've ever had, anywhere in the country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treattrixieVIPDined on 9/19/2014We don't get down to Margate very often but when we do we always try to get to Tomatoes. The toughest decision is always what to chose as there are so many great sounding dishes. We had a fabulous crabmeat and pasta dish with oil and garlic which my husband and I declared the best dish that night. Thank you Tomatoes for never disappointing!Special Features:
- Best meal Ive ever had!DindintymeDined on 9/16/2014Have you ever eaten a meal and every bite was better than the next. That was what happened with my tuna. It was out of this world. I often order tuna and it was the best ever! The succotash with quinoa endamane and corn was just as spectacular. Cant wait to go back!! A must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeniseVIPDined on 9/13/2014Never disappoints - Love this place! Have been here many times when in the area and always ready to come back!!Special Features:
- Always GoodMedia101VIPDined on 9/13/2014I have had dinner at Tomatoes several times each summer over the past few years and am never disappointed. The food and service are both great. I always recommend this restaurant to anyone who will be in that area.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised:# 1 in MargateSpitdocVIPDined on 9/13/2014Having had a really good meal at Steve and Cookies, we thought that we had eaten at the best Margate restaurant. Nope. Tomatoes was better! Menu was better and every dish was yummy. Skirt Steak,Tuna & Burger were all great. Nice dining experience. Few service ouches: 1. we were seated AFTER people coming after us despite having reservation 2. Water was never refreshed time and time again. 3. Waitress had to read ingredients off her cheat sheet and never told us prices It got old asking. "& how much was the beet salad and the Tile Fish & The dessert?"4. 6 oz milk for my 3 yr old was THREE DOLLARS!!! 5. Check left on table right as dessert delivered! 6. Waitress may have worked at pizza joint by day and Tomatoes by night. Overall: A-Special Features:
- Always a fantastic mealMamafriedsDined on 9/12/2014We have been dining at tomatoes since they opened, and have never had a bad mealSpecial Features:
- YumgirlYumgirlDined on 9/12/2014Tomatoes is a quality restaurant. With only the finest ingredients, it always is perfect. With a varied menu, there's something for everyone. If you love sushi, this is the restaurant for you. Believe it or not, their hamburger is amazing! For the healthy diner, it has a wonderful selection of amazing salads. This is a very upscale restaurant which has a young casual ambience. It is a local favorite. It just doesn't get better than this! Thank you Carmen! You and Karen have truly created a "gem" of a restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool placeFoodieDebVIPDined on 9/12/2014It was nice but very pricy! Very crowded so apparently the locals know just where to go. The sushi was good but not the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- A true findOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014Had a relative who always spoke highly about Tomaties when in Margate. Now I know why!!! It was fantastic! Will make it a go to place always on our visits to the ?Jersey shore.Special Features:
- FoodloverDined on 9/4/2014Good choice of appetizers entrees were excellent. Service needed a smile and some personality!keylime pie was a big hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tingazDined on 9/4/2014Tomatoes is always good. We've only had one bad night there and it was New Year's Eve about 5 years ago. Highly recommend it to everyone.Special Features:
- Nice place but limited menuEdw213Dined on 9/4/2014We like going to Tomatos since the food is good, however they don't change the menu often enough or add enough new entry's to make us want to come back. For such a nice place you think they would mix it up more.Special Features:
- Big DisappointmentBostonVisitorVIPDined on 9/4/2014This was our 10 plus time at Tomatoes. This visit included 2 celebrations. Let me start with food. The appetizers, beratta, chowder, shaved Brussel Sprouts, and califlower were fine, but not memorable. Main courses were only adequate. The burger was fine but looked lonely on rge plate. The tuna sauce is a bit too sweet. The service was not adequate. Our waitress asked about drinks and when we declined she frowned. She spent most of the meal speaking to employes rather touching base with us There was no mention of our celebrations though I added it to the reservation and twice after that. My wife was told that we needed to buy a dessert. I don't plan to return to Tomatoes for quite a while.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014I always get the crab pasta and the portion size was very disappointing.
- Don't BotherNamsussDined on 9/1/2014Virtually no service, drinks served 45 minutes after ordered, food overpriced, difficult to understand why it was even crowded in the first place.
- A wonderful eveningIreneDined on 8/31/2014Our evening at Tomatoes was perfect! Great food, wonderful service, best bar and even though it was a holiday weekend we were not rushed. We will return frequently now that we found this gem of a restaurant.Special Features:
- Good but not for pastaMiamiDined on 8/31/2014The crab cakes are outstanding but The spaghetti with meatballs was Awful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GabsDined on 8/30/2014I have never had a bad meal here, love it! Great for date night or a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealYellbyVIPDined on 8/30/2014The food is always delicious coupled with great service. The only thing it is missing is outdoor seating overlooking the bay........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014One of our favorite restaurants! Service and food was excellent.Special Features:
- DatenightdiningDined on 8/27/2014Great happy hour and dinner was fantastic. The tuna and filet were cooked perfectly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- travlerinteresteddinnerDined on 8/27/2014was a nice place to dine, the special was good, service was goodSpecial Features:
- Great goodElleDined on 8/27/2014If you bring kids, ask what they have for kids options. There is no formal kid's menu but they will make chicken tenders with fries (etc.). Also, if your child has sensory input challenges, the toilet auto flush and the hand dryer in the bathroom is very very loud so beware. Otherwise, this place was amazing. Best Chilean sea bass I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurant, great servicekmapDined on 8/26/2014As always, we had a great dining experience at Tomatoes. This time even better due to our waiter John Paul who was delightful, witty and extremely entertaining! We especially liked sitting in the back room which was less crowded and noisy. Food was awesome, service couldn't be better. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Lame food and servicemoishVIPDined on 8/26/2014Waitress was very weak. I ordered soup and it never came. Food was just ok tuna was too well done and lobster was tasteless. Am not in a hurry to return
- OK if you must goNorthkingVIPDined on 8/26/2014If this restaurant were in the city, it might on a lucky day pull a "B" grade. But it's at the shore, with limited competition, so its draws business by default. You won't go away mad--but you won't go away happy, either.
- charged us for a soda that spilled.BeachDined on 8/26/2014Steak was over cooked then a new steak was brought out when everyone already eat
- Food and serviceTripleDined on 8/25/2014Very disappointed in the quality of the food. Ordered a wedge if lettuce and it was soggy. Extremely skimpy on shrimp tempura and pasta dish with crab was not good, crab was fishy. Service was not good. Could not get pepper for dishes, nor a glass of wine before dinner was served. When we went to manager we received an apology. They honestly did not care. Will not go back.
- Wonderful restaurantDoxyLadyVIPDined on 8/25/2014Wide variety of excellent food, from creative American dishes to sushi. Everything superb. Great ambience and service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodLisaDined on 8/24/2014Everyone loved the Hummas appitizer as well as the calamari and the sushi. We always enjoy it when we eat at Tomatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.