9300 Amherst Avenue
Margate, NJ 08402Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tomatoesmargate.com/
- Phone: 6098227535
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Californian
- Executive Chef: Carmen Rone
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant has 3 dining rooms. Two can be closed for privacy.
- Private Party Contact: Kristyn Cella 6098227535
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment
Mondays- Geno & The Budesa Brothers
Tuesday & Thursday - DJ Sparkles
Wednesday, Friday, Saturday- DJ Steve O.
A word from Tomatoes
Casual chic by the bay. Tomatoe's offers exquisite California cuisine complimented by an extensive wine list in a warmly welcoming setting. A sophisticated bar scene makes Tomatoes the perfect spot to spend an evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Tomatoes - Best Restaurants in Margate ›
Tomatoes reviews from OpenTable diners
281 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (172)hot spot (137)fit for foodies (133)special occasion (133)neighborhood gem (103)good for groups (97)romantic (59)notable wine list (42)late-night find (32)kid-friendly (16)scenic view (15)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014One of our favorite restaurants! Service and food was excellent.Special Features:
- DatenightdiningDined on 8/27/2014Great happy hour and dinner was fantastic. The tuna and filet were cooked perfectly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- travlerinteresteddinnerDined on 8/27/2014was a nice place to dine, the special was good, service was goodSpecial Features:
- Great goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014If you bring kids, ask what they have for kids options. There is no formal kid's menu but they will make chicken tenders with fries (etc.). Also, if your child has sensory input challenges, the toilet auto flush and the hand dryer in the bathroom is very very loud so beware. Otherwise, this place was amazing. Best Chilean sea bass I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lame food and servicemoishVIPDined on 8/26/2014Waitress was very weak. I ordered soup and it never came. Food was just ok tuna was too well done and lobster was tasteless. Am not in a hurry to return
- OK if you must goNorthkingVIPDined on 8/26/2014If this restaurant were in the city, it might on a lucky day pull a "B" grade. But it's at the shore, with limited competition, so its draws business by default. You won't go away mad--but you won't go away happy, either.
- charged us for a soda that spilled.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Steak was over cooked then a new steak was brought out when everyone already eat
- Food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/25/2014Very disappointed in the quality of the food. Ordered a wedge if lettuce and it was soggy. Extremely skimpy on shrimp tempura and pasta dish with crab was not good, crab was fishy. Service was not good. Could not get pepper for dishes, nor a glass of wine before dinner was served. When we went to manager we received an apology. They honestly did not care. Will not go back.
- Wonderful restaurantDoxyLadyVIPDined on 8/25/2014Wide variety of excellent food, from creative American dishes to sushi. Everything superb. Great ambience and service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodLisaDined on 8/24/2014Everyone loved the Hummas appitizer as well as the calamari and the sushi. We always enjoy it when we eat at Tomatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentUrDocVIPDined on 8/21/2014Great go-to place but you'll need reservations during summer season . Varied food choices with great sushi too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Soup was not good. Dinner was just Ok high priced without the Wow factor.Special Features:
- Some New ItemsOCBeachDined on 8/20/2014I have visited Tomatoes several times and have always enjoyed the atmosphere and food quality. The menu appears to have some new items and our meals were all very good. Tomatoes has a very lively atmosphere especially in the main bar location. Our server was personable and very knowledgeable about the menu. Will definitely return in the near future. This is one of our favorite Happy Hour spots although on this occasion we enjoyed a family dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & Service OutstandingScottyDined on 8/17/2014Everything was great great, from our engaging waiter to cocktails, appetizers, salad , entre, wine and dessert!Special Features:
- ShoremarkbDined on 8/17/2014Perfect as always. Cuban pork chop was perfectly seasoned. Calamari was deliciousSpecial Features:
- Hits and missesFoodisfunVIPDined on 8/16/2014To start, our waitress apparently landed at restaurant two days before and wasn't trained. She was clueless about menu - portion size of fish, preparation of items, finally acknowledging she had just started. I loved my bass - though don't get pairing with carrots and string beans. Just didn't work with the Asian flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oenophile151Dined on 8/16/2014Noise level in dining area detracts from an otherwise well presented dinner
- Not this timeRSBKFVIPDined on 8/15/2014Really love Tomatoes, it’s my place to start the weekend, but this time it really fell short. Started with a room temperature martini and mediocre oysters. Service was like a sprint. My guest was still chewing her salad when the entrée arrived, and instead of just turning back to the kitchen and telling our server that we were not done our salads, the kid that brought the food tried to make force it onto our tiny 2 top wedged along the entrance to the main dining room. If we had not asked to slow things down, we would have been rushed in and out in less than 30 minutes. Food was good, not great, but the rushing made everything unpleasant. Usually a favorite, I hope just an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud and rushedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014Our waiter was harried and inexperienced. It took 3 tries to get our bottle of wine order correct. My seafood platter was served with no picks for eating the lobster, and no separate dish for shells and scraps. Our first disappointing experience after many prior visits to this restaurant, most likely the result of an ineffective waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TomatoesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Service was just not up to usual standards, had to request bread, long wait for check & cappuccino was terrible.Special Features:
- Great food - loud as heckOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/13/2014Food was excellent - tasteful, creative, & unique flavors. Service was good but not super-attentive. Big issue was noise - music too loud - like being at a wedding & sitting at a table next to the band.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at TomatoesfirsttimeDined on 8/12/2014We had dinner for four at Tomatoes the other evening. The couple we were with love Sushi and they very much enjoyed their meal. The service was great with a very helpful and informative server. We were not rushed and had a very enjoyable evening. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- One of my favs!DebK419Dined on 8/12/2014We go here on a yearly basis when we hit Sea Isle City. No one ever leaves hungry and there is something for everyone. I dinged the service down two stars because it took forever to get our entrees. The waitress said there was a party of 24 and it was holding up the kitchen. I failed to believe that because I noticed tables around us who had arrived after us were getting their food before us. Other then that it was a perfect night!Special Features:
- MLOCDined on 8/10/2014Overall, meal was good and atmosphere was nice. Service was great. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, service not so muchdisappointedDined on 8/10/2014My husband and I are going back for the food. The tomato app was delicious! Both sea bass and salmon were creative and tasty and dishes to return for. The wine was great and we drank restaurant's Pinot Grigio. Server was friendly but had to be flagged down for service multiple times for empty wine glasses and bread that we had to request at the end of the meal for dipping into leftover broth because it never came to the table and escaped her notice. With a better server this would easily be our favorite restaurant. Hoping for better service next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatmichieVIPDined on 8/10/2014Never had a bad meal. Love the energy. Love the drinks. Love the musicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedExam1Dined on 8/10/2014Portions have shrunk but prices have increased over last few years. Salt & pepper calamari still a winner but portion was skimpy (used to a larger portion at half the price during happy hour). Hawaiian roll a winner, as was sea bass. Duck was over-done and flavorless (usually good - maybe chief had a bad day). For many years duck with blueber Happy hour and bar menus in tavern section are good deals, but don't expect gourmet meals. Drinks are good - no skimping here. Used to receive half roasted garlic with bread but now expect few cloves not sufficient for all diners. We requested extra garlic and bead, but when check arrived I was surprised to see a charge of $1.75 for garlic! Service was good, friendly and attentive to our needs.Special Features:
- Tomatoes ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Much too noisy. We were a couple of two placed in the middle of the floor. Our table was repeatedly knocked into. the room was much too loud. We could not even hear each other talk. We ate in 45 minutes. Couldn't wait to get out. Didn't even stay for dessert. Its more a Bar Scene than a nice Restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food and service.ShoreartDined on 8/9/2014Great food and service. The menu choices seemed to be smaller and not a place for people who like lots of choices of fresh fish. Otherwise wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Tomatoes!ocfun57Dined on 8/9/2014This is by far our favorite restaurant in the area. We love the food, the service (our server was both knowledgeable and helpful). Would highly recommend Tomatoes to anyone in the Cape May to Atlantic City area. It's worth the drive!Special Features:
- Consistently goodluvchocolateVIPDined on 8/8/2014Always consistently excellent service and food. Corn crab chowder a favorite. Sushi and fish dishes are fresh and delicious. They often run out of many desserts-put your order in early.Special Features:
- Food was amazing..Wait was annoyingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014I have no complaints about the food would actually Rave about my whole experience if I did not have to wait 40 minutes past my 8:30 reservation (late but all that was available) did not get our delicious entrees until just after 10pmSpecial Features:
- Deborah1VIPDined on 8/8/2014Always delish food, never disappoints! Very noisy and crowded on Friday and Saturday nightsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great MealNickDined on 8/7/2014Going to the Jersey Shore is all about a night at Tomatoes for us. The meal is always great and so is the service. Now they also have a shuttle service for local customers which is a nice touch. If you are in the area you should give it a try.Special Features:
- Consistently DeliciousHappybelly1Dined on 8/6/2014Tomatoes continues to be one of our favorite places to eat! The menu selection, which includes sushi, never disappoints! Our last reservation was on a VERY crowded snd bustling Tuesday evening, yet our server was polite, attentive and professional.... and the food was delicious! We would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Service, still noisySalesTravelerVIPDined on 8/6/2014We were close to not visiting this restaurant this year after doing so several times over the last several years, due to it being very noisy with service declining each year. Things have improved this year, substantially. We sat in the room between the bar and the main dining room and it was noticeable quieter where we dined vs. the main room and bar, which remain quite noisy. The food remained very good and our server was much better than we recalled from last year.I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2eatDined on 8/6/2014Food is always delicious and consistent. Atmosphere is energetic, noise volume is moderate to high. Service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- zumbagirlDined on 8/3/2014Always consistently great. Need a better DJ. Great Happy Hour. Staff very personable. Brought friends with us who had never eaten there. They called me the next day to day to say they loved their meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeMedic79Dined on 8/2/2014I travel 2 hours to this place all the time for there crab cakes!!! I don't have to be going to AC, it could be a regular dinner and 2 hours home that is how good this place is. Every one I know that is going to Atlantic City gets this restaurant as a must visit from me and I tell them to bring me food home :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, bad policiesClearlyAmbiguousVIPDined on 8/2/2014I've been going to this restaurant for more than 15 years. It is the favorite of me and the wife. We always each get a couple of drinks, an appetizer each ($25 total), $35 worth of sushi, and split a $30 entree. Sometimes desert (although no more spiced banana cake - boo.) We were told this year, for the first time, that there was a $10 sharing charge to split the entree. I get it that two old ladies wanna come in and share an entree, you need to charge a split plate fee. But we're not those people. We're spending a lot of money on everything else. The share charge is HIGHLY offensive. Waitress apologized, but when people feel nickel and dimed, they don't return. Still contemplating whether we will....food was great.