154 Turnpike Road
Southborough, MA 01772Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tomassotrattoria.com/
- Phone: 5084818484x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: Restarting in early 2014
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Bill Bradley/Michelle Blass Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please visit our adjacent market and wine shop, Panzano Provviste e Vino, for catering options. www.panzanomarket.com
A word from Tomasso Trattoria
At Tomasso Trattoria & Enoteca, and at Panzano Provviste e Vino, our Tuscan Market & Wine Shop located next door, the seasonally driven menus draw from every region of Italy with authentic dishes prepared simply, with the freshest, highest quality organic ingredients and sustainably raised meats. True to Italian tradition are our house made bread, pasta, sauces, desserts and more. Tomasso’s chic, rustic décor transports guests to Italy with a long white marble bar, chef's counter seating, and a panoramic open kitchen in the dining room. Tomasso is a wine lover's paradise with dozens of wines by the quartino, a unique wine list, and exciting wine dinners hosted by leading Italian wine makers. Visit our websites at tomassotrattoria.com and panzanomarket.com to view our calendar of food and wine events. Private dining at Tomasso Trattoria is tastefully done whether it’s a cocktail reception, an elegant dinner or a business meeting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Tomasso Trattoria - Best Restaurants in Southboro ›
Tomasso Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (54)neighborhood gem (53)notable wine list (43)special occasion (34)romantic (28)good for groups (21)great for lunch (20)vibrant bar scene (18)great for brunch (7)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great food, right size portionsRedsoxfan1964VIPDined on 8/27/2014Food is always good. I like the portion size, I leave satisfied but not stuffed. If you want leftovers, this is not your place. If you want just the right amount of great food, come here!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/26/2014Our second visit to this restaurant in two weeks and both times the service was friendly but too casual. Food was delicious, wine was excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent foodGambabunDined on 8/25/2014Our only other experience at this restaurant was quite a few years ago and we had been disappointed. The excellent reviews convinced us to try it again, and I'm glad we did. We opted to share a couple of the generous appetizers and a salad rather than have a full meal. The waiter helped us choose our wine, offering tastings of two possibilities before we committed to a bottle. If we'd had an entree there would have been no room for dessert, but we were able to try two of them. Espresso comes with dark chocolate bits - a delightful accompaniment. We were seated in the Bar area at our own request because it seemed quieter than the Dining Room, but we still felt that the background music was too loud and the AC too cold.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/23/2014Best restaurant in the area. Wonderful, interesting dishesSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/23/2014We dine frequently at this restaurant and in the past, the service has usually been quite good. However, this time the waitperson neglected to tell us about the specials (we overheard her telling people at the next table after we had already ordered), and although the wine we asked for was the featured white of the evening, she was unable to answer basic questions about it - like what part of Italy it was from. However, the food was delicious and we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved this restaurant!SusanDined on 8/22/2014Everything about our visit was fantastic! The restaurant is well appointed, cozy and romantic. The food was delicious and the wait staff were excellent. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinnerFoodLuver5Dined on 8/16/2014This was my husband's first time here, and he loved it (well, we both loved it). The wine that was recommended for us based on what I was looking for was amazing, and of course the food was heaven. We were seated in the back room though, which definitely does not have the ambiance that the rest of the restaurant has. Other than that, it was a very good experience.Special Features:
- Keep going back to this restaurant.JunBDined on 8/15/2014I enjoyed the food, the service, the ambience, and the overall dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When deep in Suburbia...ptmvDined on 8/15/2014We go back often enough, and every time the chef's menu is fresh and new for the day. Dressing comfortably or dude, the staff always maintains a very high level of professionalism and knowledge in their service. It is all done right; something that has long since faded outside of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014The food wasn't that good. The swordfish had a strange flavoring on it, the portions were very small, and the appetizers were not great- the prosciutto with grilled peaches was subpar. The peaches were overcooked, small and unappetizing. The grilled vegetables were actually charred.Special Features:
- Great food, nice ambianceJenniDined on 8/9/2014Had a great dinner here the other night. Food was delicious - definitely do a cheese plate and don't skimp on dessert! Nice wine list and very delicious main courses - especially the gnocchi. Price was a little high but worth it for a special occasion or romantic night out. Wait staff was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingdaveinmassDined on 8/8/2014We've eaten at Tomasso several times and always enjoyed it. But, this time was special. The food was truly excellent - my wife had the swordfish, I had the scallops. Both perfectly cooked, and really tasty. We were fortunate to be offered a new menu appetizer item - corn succotash with clams. I could've made that my main meal. The wait staff was great - professional and friendly. Bartender was a real pro - we had a glass of wine before sitting down for dinner. Tomasso is a quality restaurant with a quality staff and management. We were sitting close to the open kitchen and the executive chef was very nice to talk with.Special Features:
- Usually a Hit... Tonight a MissOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/7/2014I usually like my meals at Tomasso... tonight not so much. At this price point and location, best to keep their A game up. I'll give them a pass on this one but am a little cautious.
- knowledgableredwhiteandgreenDined on 8/4/2014These folks has a working knowledge of authentic Italian cuisine and all its regional diversity. Eat slowly.Every bite is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniegDined on 7/21/2014The food is consistently good at Tomasso. I plan to go back soon.Special Features:
- Local decent foodExChefDined on 7/9/2014The server was very pleasant and knowledgeable . Some of the food was pretty good, one pasta special was kind of a mixed up mess. We eat here every couple of weeks because it is very handy. This night we had guests from California in Boston for a 12 hour layover. They seemed to be satisfied but not overly excited by the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- week night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/8/2014Food is good. Might be a good idea to remove the shell fish from the chicken entrees do to allergies. Ripped jeans on servers are not a good look.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid restaurant across the boardmslaterVIPDined on 7/1/2014Great staff, happy to see Mike on board managing. Food is always really great but especially love that they are inventive with combinations that you wouldn't expect while always having standard options. The small plates make it possible to try new things. We had previously had 1 bad experience with a server but the owner contacted us quickly. Food and wine always have been great.Special Features:
- Delicious and so accommodating!MetroWestDinerDined on 6/28/2014I have to be gluten-free - my body punishes me when I mistakenly eat something with gluten. I figured eating at Tomasso might be tough but I could get a salad or something like that (I had been there before and knew it was delicious, but this was before I had to be GF). Tomasso had zero problem accommodating me. A salad was no problem, as expected. They had delicious GF pasta and customized a dish for me. And flourless chocolate cake was even on the dessert menu! My friend's salad and dinner were also incredible. Great service and great wine, too. Our only criticism - the gelato wasn't up to par. It was weirdly icy, like it was old. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a relaxed dinnerponticleDined on 6/27/2014I most recently visited Tomasso with my husband for a relatively relaxed dinner date. Although it was a Friday night, the restaurant was fairly quiet. We had a bottle of wine that we had never heard of off of their reserve menu, which was quite extensive. We also really enjoyed a selection of cured meats and cheeses, which was served with whole seed mustard, tiny dill pickles and an apricot spread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 6/25/2014Another enjoyable evening at Tomasso. The food has been very reliable as of late. I tasted the chicken my dining companion ordered a few nights ago and liked it so much, I had to go back tonight to get my own serving... a really nice dish. Bravo chef!
- pickypickyVIPDined on 6/24/2014I used to love this place. But the last 2 times it was not too good. And last nite it was terrible, Start with the noise level. I had a corner seat & maybe the echo against the wall intensified it, but we could not hear each other! The waitress did no pay attention. NO one ever came over after we were served our main meal. The food was only fair 2 weeks ago. Rabbit kabob was very dry & flavorless. but other items were good.. But last night I took a friend who said her steak was so bad that she ate only a few bites. My lamb chop was so so very fatty that trimming had not cure. I took most home for my dog & in the light of my kitchen I confirmed that there was so much fat through out that no one could have eaten it. not even my dog.Special Features:
- Nice MealOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 6/21/2014Another very nice meal here. Tomasso offers consistently good chow... one of the top spots in the area. Casual atmosphere. We enjoyed the burata, pizzetta, chicken entree, and pork chop tonight. All recommended.
- OverpricedpaceripleyDined on 6/21/2014We visited the restaurant on a Saturday evening when it was not too busy. Service was nice and attentive at first but halfway through the meal, the server virtually disappeared. The food itself is fancy on paper. Dishes are sophisticated and interesting. The taste is another matter: the food was mostly bland and we ended up adding salt or yearning for flavor in pesto that was nothing more than bitter. The ingredients were all of good quality, so it seems like the chef was not doing a great job. In all, paying $121 before service for one appetizer, one pasta, two entrees and two glasses of wine - for the quality served - seems not worth it.
- Dining experience overview...OnlyLiveOnceFoodieDined on 6/19/2014The menu was wonderful for this foodie. Although, with a third of our group as meat eaters, I was concerned (with the first menu overview) that there was no beef offered. There was also confusion as to how the dining flow worked. I would suggest that the servers ask diners if they have been to the restaurant before, and if not, briefly review the dining experience along with the specials. I did make it out unharmed and the group thoroughly enjoyed their food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food! Matt and the Mgr :)ReginaDined on 6/19/2014Had the mixed plate and it was to die for. The salmon salad and the pasta were delicious. I'll be back every chance I get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedRallyDined on 6/18/2014Ordered the rib eye special, which, normally do not order. Very disappointed. Rib eye extremely thin and over done. Almost tasteless. The mussels and petite meatballs were very good. The limoncello cake luscious. For the price, which I have no problem paying good money for a great dinner. This was not. Over priced and under seasoned!Special Features:
- Father's day brunchAnnaDined on 6/15/2014We usually come here for dinner and are almost always very happy with the food, winelist and service. I this was a rating for dinner the number of stars would be very different. We've never been here for brunch before and will not be back other than for dinner. The food was boring, which is a sad sentiment for a restaurant that usually serves up wonderful meals in true Italian tradition. I had the frittata which although it was quite tasty greatly lacked in presentation, it looked more like an airplane prepacked and heated up meal. My husband had the corncake with scrambled eggs, it was a large plate of yellow on yellow, not even a sprig of watercress just to break the monocrome presentation. So, sadly not a great experience this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a keeperMurphDined on 6/14/2014Excellent service, delicious food! It was a wonderful dinner and we will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, ok foodhardworkingmomDined on 6/12/2014The atmosphere was nice and our waitress was very friendly and helpful. She knew the menu and offered me a sample of one of their wines to help me decide what to order. However, our food was rather bland and under-seasoned. My wine was quite good, but the food was disappointing.Special Features:
- 1st Trip to TomassoBethDined on 6/12/2014I recently took clients to Tomasso for a business dinner. Based on recent reviews I had high expecations. To start, I had some challenges with the menu. I found it be a bit too obscure, even for myself, a culinary graduate. I was not thrilled with the fish selection (sardines, bluefish & redfish did not sound inviting). We started w/ mussels, which were really good, but then my experience fell short with the brushetta (no flavor) and the "RI Calamari", that was a misreprensentation of RI style! (a tiny portion of smoky flavored squid was not what I expected). The waiter told me the lamb was "double rib chop" but when presented, was an overcooked, chewy, loin cut. Steak special was ok, desert was good, but sadly, I am hesitant to come back!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/9/2014We always look forward to lunching/dining at Tomasso and we were not disappointed! The 5 of us were given a special space off the bar that was semi-private and facilitated conversation among friends. Service was excellent, food and drink were delicious, a good time was had by all. We'll be back - again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mollyoVIPDined on 6/7/2014Had Lobster Fra Diavolo. Found the pasta overcooked and the sauce on the sweet side with a strange aftertaste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/4/2014Had a great lamb dish and outstanding Chianti Weds night at Tomasso's. It is a bit pricey. The service is friendly and efficient and -thank heaven -not officious. Have been there more times than I can count and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pickypickyVIPDined on 6/4/2014we had the salmon croquette for starters. cooked perfectly. not too dry. great sauce. next was the dumplings which were very good & interesting. Last was the rabbit & sausage on a skewer. it was quite dry and the rabbit was unremarkable. I prefer the rabbit in pasta when done there. If you are going to make a rabbit sausage it need to be less well done dry and not with spicy sausage which overpowered the rabbit. choc dessert was great.Special Features:
- Pretty goodMortDined on 6/2/2014An interesting menu that reads a bit better than it tastes. Nothing wring with the place just nothing great either. Decor is uninspirational, lighting dull, service friendly. Once a year maybe.Special Features:
- Bad nightgitanoVIPDined on 5/30/2014Waited about 20 minutes for the appetizer to arrive. The entrees came about 30 minutes later. The pasta entrée and the pork chop were totally overcooked. Minute portions. Hoping for the dessert to be better but it was not the case. The espresso was closer to hot water than coffee. Not sure if I will return soon. Very surprising since my experience has been very favorable in the past.Special Features:
- Perfect EveningTerriVIPDined on 5/30/2014Our meal start to finish was spot on. Our server was knowledgeable and friendly. The food was delicious. We will be going back soon.Special Features:
- Birthday bistecca dinnerOABEVIPDined on 5/24/2014We took our son to a 20th birthday dinner at Tomassos. It wasn't our first time and we know we can rely on great food and excellent service. The bistecca was a special which delighted the birthday boy. Chocolate flourless cake for dessert was a real treat too. We are coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding . . . again!JohnVIPDined on 5/24/2014The food here is really wonderful: inventive and consistently well-executed. But the truly distinguishing factor is the service. Everyone with whom you come in contact --- from the greeter/seaters and bus people, right up to the General Manager (actively present) --- is genuinely friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. They give real meaning to the notion that they're in the hospitality business and you're their guests. Southborough is way out in the 'burbs, a trek for some, but Tomasso is definitely worth the effort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.