154 Turnpike Road
Southborough, MA 01772Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tomassotrattoria.com/
- Phone: 5084818484x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Daniele Baliani/Michelle Blass Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please visit our adjacent market and wine shop, Panzano Provviste e Vino, for catering options. www.panzanomarket.com
- Private Party Facilities: Tomasso Trattoria believes in providing the highest level of guest experience, offering traditional Italian dining with menus tailored to your needs. Our venue can accommodate private groups from as small as 4 to as large as 120, with private and semi-private spaces to suit your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Brendan Fitzgerald 8669573594
A word from Tomasso Trattoria
At Tomasso Trattoria & Enoteca, and at Panzano Provviste e Vino, our Tuscan Market & Wine Shop located next door, the seasonally driven menus draw from every region of Italy with authentic dishes prepared simply, with the freshest, highest quality organic ingredients and sustainably raised meats. True to Italian tradition are our house made bread, pasta, sauces, desserts and more. Tomasso’s chic, rustic décor transports guests to Italy with a long white marble bar, chef's counter seating, and a panoramic open kitchen in the dining room. Tomasso is a wine lover's paradise with dozens of wines by the quartino, a unique wine list, and exciting wine dinners hosted by leading Italian wine makers. Visit our websites at tomassotrattoria.com and panzanomarket.com to view our calendar of food and wine events. Private dining at Tomasso Trattoria is tastefully done whether it’s a cocktail reception, an elegant dinner or a business meeting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Tomasso Trattoria - Best Restaurants in Southboro ›
Tomasso Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (42)notable wine list (34)neighborhood gem (31)special occasion (28)romantic (23)good for groups (16)vibrant bar scene (11)great for lunch (10)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- LaurieVVIPDined on 10/18/2014I had been to Tomassos a few times and had thought the food good but not great. I have always liked the bar menu and drinks but not the main dinner as much. This latest visit I was impressed from start to finish. I had a pork appetizer with tuna hollandaise that was top notch as well as a delicious salad and carbonara. I dined with 3 others and everything they had was equally impressive (classic bolognese, salmon, agnolotti). Nicely done. I am so happy to have a local restaurant that is as strong as those that I can travel to Boston for. Great job!Special Features:
- Nice DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 10/16/2014Another fine meal here. The gnocchi, arugula salad and the steak... all very good. Add a couple of glasses of vino and what else do you need. Wasn't jammin so not loud.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Chow, LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 10/9/2014Very loud last night... hard surfaces contribute and it can get very loud when it's busy. Food was right on target... the fantastic steak served with excellent potatoes and green been salad... and the gnocchi were standouts.
- alwaysdeliciousalwaysdeliciousDined on 10/3/2014Terrific restaurant, always delicious, always reliableSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/30/2014Excellent, as always - new (to us) waitperson especially calm and accommodating in the midst of a busy night - food outstanding! After several years worth of dinners and lunches, Tomasso has yet to disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If i'm close, I'm hereMarcoNVIPDined on 9/23/2014Dined here several times and it has been consistently very good to outstanding foodSpecial Features:
- Noisy..anonDined on 9/22/2014The food seemed over-priced, especially the pasta. The vegetables with the crab pasta were poor. The disappointing carbonara was not at all creamy or rich. Over all not very exciting. Good wine list and service (provided fresh silverware for each course) but noise level made it hard to communicate even though few other diners.Special Features:
- Over-Priced and Over-Rated !NewYearsEveVIPDined on 9/20/201410+ years ago when Tomasso's opened I thought "decent food, rather pricey, a little over-rated". 10 years later, I now find Tomasso's very pricey and highly over-rated. My husband and I dined recently as a b-day celebration. Appetizers were excellent but it stopped there. I ordered the scallop entree and at just under $10 per scallop I was greatly disappointed. The served distinctly asked me how I wanted them cooked and I said medium. 2 came out with burned edges, not sear marks, burned edges. Only 1 scallop was cooked correctly. My husband's bolognese pappardelle was nothing more than noodles swirled thru a red sauce. No meat, dry, no seasoning. At $28 and $25 respectively, we should have sent both meals back. HUGE disappointment!
- Keep trying but always disappointedluvgoodflavorsVIPDined on 9/19/2014W've dined at Tomasso a number of times from when it first opened. This week we tried again. We both ordered their grilled peach and Prosciutto antipasto and both of us were underwhelmed. My teeth hurt from the intense cold as I bit into the first grilled peach. It must have been heavily refrigerated and not brought to room temp before serving. My husband's peaches were flavorless. The prosciutto was not wrapped around the peaches or arranged nicely but instead was sitting in a ball on one side of the plate. My sea scallops entrée was fine but not flavorful enough to be so small. My husband's gnocchi disappointed him immensely. Unfortunately, we do not think that the price (high for area) and ambience balance the middling food experience.
- Great Service, Decent FoodSarahDined on 9/18/2014We went to Tomasso's to celebrate my husband's birthday. We shared an appetizer, the Arancino (sp?) which was excellent, then moved on to share a peach and proscuitto salad, which was also very good. We both had small plate portions of pasta. My husband had the Bolognese, which was decent, and I had the spinach pasta with clams, which was just OK. Pasta was too al dente, while the clams were over cooked. We split the scallop entree, which was delicious, but small--3 scallops for $28. We also ordered a $50 bottle of Chianti, which was superb. Total bill, including tip, was $200. While we enjoyed the experience, and will probably do it again, we're not sure it was worth the $200.Special Features:
- suburban1serialdinerVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had heard it was best in the area....there must not be much competition in the area. Wine list was very good, everything else average. too bad.
- Not quite sure...Food4thoughtVIPDined on 9/5/2014I have passed by this place for years and not gone in... After eating here, we found the ambiance to be pretentious and for no apparent reason. The place was nice looking but the food was just alright and the service just ok.Special Features:
- Good but not too excitingFoodeeDined on 9/5/2014Two of us went for lunch on a Friday, were seated right away but had made a reservation. First time for both of us. Service was good, no issues there. Food was good but only average. We each chose a panini sandwich and the food took a bit more time that we thought it should. The menu just wasn't that exciting, nothing that I really wanted to try. Restaurant was loud even though we were seated in separate area and the interior could use a good cleaning and re-painting. Perhaps dinner or drinks might be a totally different experience but I don't think I'll go back for lunch.
- Veggie HeavenveggieloverDined on 9/1/2014As a vegetarian, I really appreciated all of the fantastic options, beginning with the Piatto Misto. The generous platter served our party of 3 perfectly. The Gnocchi al Telefono were so light and fluffy and the sauce perfectly bright. I finished with the Insalata Funghi and have to admit that is is my new favorite salad....ever! The wine and the service was exceptional. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, right size portionsRedsoxfan1964VIPDined on 8/27/2014Food is always good. I like the portion size, I leave satisfied but not stuffed. If you want leftovers, this is not your place. If you want just the right amount of great food, come here!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/26/2014Our second visit to this restaurant in two weeks and both times the service was friendly but too casual. Food was delicious, wine was excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent foodGambabunDined on 8/25/2014Our only other experience at this restaurant was quite a few years ago and we had been disappointed. The excellent reviews convinced us to try it again, and I'm glad we did. We opted to share a couple of the generous appetizers and a salad rather than have a full meal. The waiter helped us choose our wine, offering tastings of two possibilities before we committed to a bottle. If we'd had an entree there would have been no room for dessert, but we were able to try two of them. Espresso comes with dark chocolate bits - a delightful accompaniment. We were seated in the Bar area at our own request because it seemed quieter than the Dining Room, but we still felt that the background music was too loud and the AC too cold.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/23/2014Best restaurant in the area. Wonderful, interesting dishesSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/23/2014We dine frequently at this restaurant and in the past, the service has usually been quite good. However, this time the waitperson neglected to tell us about the specials (we overheard her telling people at the next table after we had already ordered), and although the wine we asked for was the featured white of the evening, she was unable to answer basic questions about it - like what part of Italy it was from. However, the food was delicious and we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved this restaurant!SusanDined on 8/22/2014Everything about our visit was fantastic! The restaurant is well appointed, cozy and romantic. The food was delicious and the wait staff were excellent. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinnerFoodLuver5Dined on 8/16/2014This was my husband's first time here, and he loved it (well, we both loved it). The wine that was recommended for us based on what I was looking for was amazing, and of course the food was heaven. We were seated in the back room though, which definitely does not have the ambiance that the rest of the restaurant has. Other than that, it was a very good experience.Special Features:
- Keep going back to this restaurant.JunBDined on 8/15/2014I enjoyed the food, the service, the ambience, and the overall dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When deep in Suburbia...ptmvDined on 8/15/2014We go back often enough, and every time the chef's menu is fresh and new for the day. Dressing comfortably or dude, the staff always maintains a very high level of professionalism and knowledge in their service. It is all done right; something that has long since faded outside of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014The food wasn't that good. The swordfish had a strange flavoring on it, the portions were very small, and the appetizers were not great- the prosciutto with grilled peaches was subpar. The peaches were overcooked, small and unappetizing. The grilled vegetables were actually charred.Special Features:
- Great food, nice ambianceJenniDined on 8/9/2014Had a great dinner here the other night. Food was delicious - definitely do a cheese plate and don't skimp on dessert! Nice wine list and very delicious main courses - especially the gnocchi. Price was a little high but worth it for a special occasion or romantic night out. Wait staff was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingdaveinmassDined on 8/8/2014We've eaten at Tomasso several times and always enjoyed it. But, this time was special. The food was truly excellent - my wife had the swordfish, I had the scallops. Both perfectly cooked, and really tasty. We were fortunate to be offered a new menu appetizer item - corn succotash with clams. I could've made that my main meal. The wait staff was great - professional and friendly. Bartender was a real pro - we had a glass of wine before sitting down for dinner. Tomasso is a quality restaurant with a quality staff and management. We were sitting close to the open kitchen and the executive chef was very nice to talk with.Special Features:
- Usually a Hit... Tonight a MissOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/7/2014I usually like my meals at Tomasso... tonight not so much. At this price point and location, best to keep their A game up. I'll give them a pass on this one but am a little cautious.
- knowledgableredwhiteandgreenDined on 8/4/2014These folks has a working knowledge of authentic Italian cuisine and all its regional diversity. Eat slowly.Every bite is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniegDined on 7/21/2014The food is consistently good at Tomasso. I plan to go back soon.Special Features:
- Local decent foodExChefDined on 7/9/2014The server was very pleasant and knowledgeable . Some of the food was pretty good, one pasta special was kind of a mixed up mess. We eat here every couple of weeks because it is very handy. This night we had guests from California in Boston for a 12 hour layover. They seemed to be satisfied but not overly excited by the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- week night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/8/2014Food is good. Might be a good idea to remove the shell fish from the chicken entrees do to allergies. Ripped jeans on servers are not a good look.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid restaurant across the boardmslaterVIPDined on 7/1/2014Great staff, happy to see Mike on board managing. Food is always really great but especially love that they are inventive with combinations that you wouldn't expect while always having standard options. The small plates make it possible to try new things. We had previously had 1 bad experience with a server but the owner contacted us quickly. Food and wine always have been great.Special Features:
- Delicious and so accommodating!MetroWestDinerDined on 6/28/2014I have to be gluten-free - my body punishes me when I mistakenly eat something with gluten. I figured eating at Tomasso might be tough but I could get a salad or something like that (I had been there before and knew it was delicious, but this was before I had to be GF). Tomasso had zero problem accommodating me. A salad was no problem, as expected. They had delicious GF pasta and customized a dish for me. And flourless chocolate cake was even on the dessert menu! My friend's salad and dinner were also incredible. Great service and great wine, too. Our only criticism - the gelato wasn't up to par. It was weirdly icy, like it was old. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a relaxed dinnerponticleDined on 6/27/2014I most recently visited Tomasso with my husband for a relatively relaxed dinner date. Although it was a Friday night, the restaurant was fairly quiet. We had a bottle of wine that we had never heard of off of their reserve menu, which was quite extensive. We also really enjoyed a selection of cured meats and cheeses, which was served with whole seed mustard, tiny dill pickles and an apricot spread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 6/25/2014Another enjoyable evening at Tomasso. The food has been very reliable as of late. I tasted the chicken my dining companion ordered a few nights ago and liked it so much, I had to go back tonight to get my own serving... a really nice dish. Bravo chef!
- pickypickyVIPDined on 6/24/2014I used to love this place. But the last 2 times it was not too good. And last nite it was terrible, Start with the noise level. I had a corner seat & maybe the echo against the wall intensified it, but we could not hear each other! The waitress did no pay attention. NO one ever came over after we were served our main meal. The food was only fair 2 weeks ago. Rabbit kabob was very dry & flavorless. but other items were good.. But last night I took a friend who said her steak was so bad that she ate only a few bites. My lamb chop was so so very fatty that trimming had not cure. I took most home for my dog & in the light of my kitchen I confirmed that there was so much fat through out that no one could have eaten it. not even my dog.Special Features:
- The following 1141 reviews are from the Tomasso Trattoria reviews archive.
- Nice MealOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 6/21/2014Another very nice meal here. Tomasso offers consistently good chow... one of the top spots in the area. Casual atmosphere. We enjoyed the burata, pizzetta, chicken entree, and pork chop tonight. All recommended.
- OverpricedpaceripleyDined on 6/21/2014We visited the restaurant on a Saturday evening when it was not too busy. Service was nice and attentive at first but halfway through the meal, the server virtually disappeared. The food itself is fancy on paper. Dishes are sophisticated and interesting. The taste is another matter: the food was mostly bland and we ended up adding salt or yearning for flavor in pesto that was nothing more than bitter. The ingredients were all of good quality, so it seems like the chef was not doing a great job. In all, paying $121 before service for one appetizer, one pasta, two entrees and two glasses of wine - for the quality served - seems not worth it.
- Dining experience overview...OnlyLiveOnceFoodieDined on 6/19/2014The menu was wonderful for this foodie. Although, with a third of our group as meat eaters, I was concerned (with the first menu overview) that there was no beef offered. There was also confusion as to how the dining flow worked. I would suggest that the servers ask diners if they have been to the restaurant before, and if not, briefly review the dining experience along with the specials. I did make it out unharmed and the group thoroughly enjoyed their food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food! Matt and the Mgr :)ReginaDined on 6/19/2014Had the mixed plate and it was to die for. The salmon salad and the pasta were delicious. I'll be back every chance I get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.