Tom Hams Lighthouse
2150 Harbor Island Dr
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Tom Hams Lighthouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tomhamslighthouse.com/
- Phone: 6192919110x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday From 11:30am-3pm
Brunch: Sunday 9:30am to 2pm
Dinner: Monday-Thursday 5pm - 9pm and Friday & Saturday 5pm-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: Lance Repp
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Stephany in our catering office.
- Private Party Facilities: Private and Semi-private accomadations for groups from 20 to 350. Buyouts avaialble. All Dining space has magnificent view of the San Diego Bay.
- Private Party Contact: Stephany Phenny 619-291-9110x
A word from Tom Hams Lighthouse
Tom Ham’s Lighthouse was built in 1971 by a man who was not afraid to put his name on his product. Rooted in warm welcomes & excellent food, Tom Ham made his lifelong dream a reality. Tom Ham’s Lighthouse is the only restaurant in the US to have a USCG operated & maintained Lighthouse attached to it. You can locate us on any modern nautical map as Beacon #9. Featuring a 100% responsibly resourced seafood menu & award winning Sunday Champagne Brunch, we are a must when it comes to the San Diego food scene. The dining room, purposely shaped like the state of California, allows for groups as grand as 92 yet private enough for a couple’s night out. Holiday brunches have been long time family traditions for many San Diegans. Start your family’s tradition this next holiday. With the best views of the Downtown City Skyline, Coronado & San Diego Bay, Tom Ham's is & remains a San Diego tradition in dining excellence since 1971.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
Tom Hams Lighthouse - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Tom Hams Lighthouse reviews from OpenTable diners
228 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (205)great for outdoor dining (174)special occasion (146)romantic (122)great for brunch (78)good for groups (68)fit for foodies (55)great for lunch (52)notable wine list (33)neighborhood gem (30)hot spot (18)kid-friendly (17)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (11)Show More
- View makes the meal memorableChewsieDined on 9/20/2014Not the Tom Ham's of the retirement luncheons and wedding buffets that I remember. Had dropped in for lunch recently and had such a great experience, wanted to try dinner. Good place to take out-of-town visitors ... Dine with a spectacular view of the city. Ask for a patio table for the best view & quieter dining. Our meals ranged from great to good. Seafood platter was a bit shrimp-heavy; but the Alaskan halibut was cooked and served beautifully. The paella relied on too much rice to bulk it up ... tasty but I wouldn't go back for it. Overall a good experience and worth a return trip someday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceCanadianDined on 9/20/2014Great view of the city Delicious sea food Calm ambiance Prompt service The only negative thing is the noise of the jet skis and boats but it wasn't too noticeable.Special Features:
- Had a fabulous birthday!.EfergDined on 9/17/2014Sat in the sweetheart booth and watched the lights come up. Wonderful food. Arlen our server was attentive and charming. Thank you for the memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seafood dining for visitorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014The weather and view from the outdoor dining area was excellent. The waiter was very helpful in explaining and recommending food and the service was excellent. Drinks were keep filled and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Great view, food needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014Staff knew by the reservation that it was my husband's birthday, yet they did nothing to acknowledge it, and we had visitors in from abroad. Quite disappointing to be there for that special occasion and to have nothing said/done by staff. Table next to us enjoyed a birthday dessert which made it even worse. Salmon portion was tiny, paella was too salty, desserts that we ordered appeared sloppily put together. Overall a disappointing experience, though the view was indeed beautiful.Special Features:
- A-List in San DiegoLizaBopizaDined on 9/13/2014On all the occasions my husband and I have dined at Tom Hams Lighthouse, we had always enjoyed a good meal and the hospitality of your staff. We never felt rushed. We particularly like the Paella, with its fresh seafood and generous portions. The salads are terrific-never disappointing: fresh & thoughtfully put together (we esp. like the spinach with figs, gorgonzola & pistachio). Spectacular views a huge plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view and wonderful food!PosterDined on 9/13/2014I have stayed on Harbor Island many times and known of Tam's , but had never been before. I will definitely be eating here more often! the view was fantastic! The food was delicious and the service was wonderful. We had grilled asparagus and calamari as appetizers which were delicious. I had the halibut which was superbly cooked and my wife had the NY steak done to perfection. It was truly a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great viewDoctorBDined on 9/10/2014We go here for the view of the San Diego skyline and Coronado Island across the bay. You can sit outside almost right over the Bay, which we love. The food is good, but certainly not the best seafood in San Diego. And if you do sit outside, especially on a weekend as the sun sets, you might think about whether you want to be observing someone's wedding and reception just below you, as that can be happening. That adds to the noise level a bit, as do naval helicopters flying in and out of the Navy base on Coronado Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and view were spectacularGailRDined on 9/10/2014I met some friends for dinner and we all really enjoyed the spectacular views of the harbor and downtown skyline. The food and service were especially good. I will not hesitate to recommend to friends.Special Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014We went at 7:15 on a Sunday...possibly not the best time of the day. Our server was fantastic tho, and the food was exquisite in both taste and presentation. We'll definitely be back. This is a case where experience counts. Tom Ham's Lighthouse has been around forever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch was low in warm serversOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014I have always loved this place especially since the reno. Champaign service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a special occasionAidanDDined on 9/7/2014We went to brunch to celebrate two birthdays (my best friend's and mine) with an out-of-town guest. It was our first time there, and we were impressed. Our champagne glasses were only empty once. The crab legs were perfectly cooked. The corned beef hash was amazing, the prime rib was delicious, and other party members praised the eggs Benedict. We sat outdoors and loved the view. The indoor seating was more large parties and seemed like it might be a little loud. Only food complaint I have is that the oysters had too much grit, likely from speedy, high-volume shucking. Stick to the scallops and crab on the seafood buffet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mid-autumn dinesddineDined on 9/6/2014Our family went to the restaurant a few days ago and we got outdoor window table overlooking the bay and downtown San Diego. The view is spectacular. We took lots of pictures while enjoying dining. We definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunchBirthday46Dined on 9/6/2014Food was great. Service was OK. Asked for extra limes with sparkling water and server never delivered them. Had to flag down a bus-person to get them and were delivered on a paper cocktail napkin, not a small dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be for sureTahoeDined on 9/4/2014Food was okay, service is terrible, very unattentive waiters. Way too many sales pitches explaing the menu. Air conditioning was off or too low. Moved us outside, and sat us under a heater!. Martinis came with no olives - really? Ordered a pasta dish, and there was no pasta spoon - had to use my coffee spoon - real class! Just another hipster joint for the 20's crowd who don't know any better. Took prime rib off which is beyond me? They only have a few cuts of beef now, and instead of bread, they give you "European Flat Bread" which is just lowsy seasoned crackers - just more cutsy stuff that's ruining the restaurant. After 30 years of going to Tom Ham's, it's time to find another place.Special Features:
- Luv2dineoutDined on 9/4/2014It was my birthday dinner and we were four diners. Appetizers were calamari and octopus. Both were succulent and paired with delicious chili-lime infused dipping sauce. My sis-in-law and I enjoyed fresh swordfish entrée--and it was FRESH! My husband had the rib-eye cooked to perfection, and my bro-in-law had the squid-ink risotto. He's still raving about it! Service was unobtrusive but very efficient. The view of San Diego bay watching the sunset gleaming off the windows of the city's high-rises--SPECTACULAR. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Perfect ChoiceGForDieDined on 9/2/2014The three of us were celebrating my elderly dad's birthday. They treated us all with dignity and respect. We had a quiet lunch outside overlooking the Harbor. We had the swordfish ("Market Fish") which was perfectly cooked and came with a delicious sauce. We had oysters and shrimp appetizers, also amazing, and sorbet and gelato for dessert. The coconut sorbet was the best we have ever tasted. The waiter easily fielded all our gluten-related questions. He was knowledgeable and even went out of his way to research a question we had. His timing as a waiter was impeccable. Truly one of the best dining experiences we have ever had! I hear they are under new management. I am so impressed with what they are doing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely View/Delightful MealetxgrlVIPDined on 8/31/2014We visited Tom Ham's on my first trip to San Diego. Both the city and the restaurant were wonderful. Every table has a view of the harbor. My salad with grilled peaches was so very yummy. The 2 of us split the paella and were so pleased with the selection. I wish we had stayed longer in San Diego so we could have visited again.Special Features:
- BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Was greeted by very friendly hostess. Special request was handled discretely. Entire staff was eager to help and to see that special occasion was enjoyable for my wife's birthday. Enjoyed the experience of our waiter as to the menu and wine list. We took the recommendations on most of the suggestions from the waiter.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchJustmyopinionDined on 8/31/2014Go for the view. You won't be disappointed. That being said, the buffet was just ok and not enough selection of different types of food. They had tons of crab and shrimp which is great! Would have loved to see some sushi. You're obviously paying for the location with a fantastic water view especially if you're sitting outside. The service was awesome. Our waitress always had a smile and had a sense of humor. She kept the Mimosas flowing. Despite the so so selection of food, I would go again.Special Features:
- brunchasm1967Dined on 8/31/2014The best brunch ever. I would have brunch every weekend if I could afford it but twice a month is fine with meSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary to Remembermjpeters57Dined on 8/30/2014The outdoor seating with the beautiful skyline in the background along with the scent of the ocean made for a great setting. Food was reasonably priced and tasted great. A big thank you for adding th anniversary dessert at no cost. If you want a romantic setting for a dinner, I highly recommend Tom Hams.Special Features:
- SocalcyclistDined on 8/25/2014Great view from any table. Outstanding craft beers selection. No problem with getting a reservation but it was a MondaySpecial Features:
- What a viewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014I took my wife here for here Birthday, The view are amazing , and the foods are awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointingpeter45Dined on 8/24/2014We always enjoy this place. Better then C Prime as far as a view is concerned. Food and service always top notchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite dining with a viewenchantingDined on 8/24/2014The best dining experience we've had thus far. Totally breathtaking view, food is absolutely amazing and with unparalleled customer service by staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sunday brunch in San DiegoDanfanDined on 8/24/2014We had a party of 7 (2 kids included) for Sunday brunch to celebrate a friend's 35th bday. The hostess accommodated a last minute change. The seafood was so fresh and our waiter kept filling our champagne glasses. I can only tolerate quality alcohol and their champagne was one of the best I've had. The view is amazing. It was a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Price!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014I loved the view! But the lobster claws were way over cooked like rubber! And the dessert was laughable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent viewmikaWMMDined on 8/23/2014easy to reserve but still needed to wait 20min to get seated. good selection of seafood and fits the atmosphere. Rib eye steak was surprisingly tender and came in good portion. highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- A bit too noisy, but very good foodmrm1Dined on 8/23/2014And excellent view of the harbor and downtown San Diego. Attentive, pleasant service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was so soOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Took my wife to Tom Hams the other day for dinner (wasn't my first pick but my wife wanted to try someplace we had not eaten at before). The staff were very friendly and attentive but the food was so so. The view of downtown San Diego and Coronado was the best part of the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great "Dress Up" Date Spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I took a wonderful young lady here on a friday evening for our second date. The view was great while the sun was out but it became very romantic and beautiful once it got dark. My advice is to get there right before the sun goes down and stay until after it does. Also get a table on the deck. They were very accomodating regarding us staying to make conversation after our meal was done. They suggested we stay as long as we like and enjoy the view. The menu was plenty diverse for all kinds of tastes and the chef was accomodating although the $2 upcharge for mushrooms and onions on my steak was a bit much. My date and I were a a few minutes late but they were also accomodating of that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the waterfoodandbeerDined on 8/22/2014We visited at sunset and had a wonderful table overlooking the San Diego bay where we watched the sun go down. Excellent wine list and outstanding list of micro brews on tap. Food was very good. The service was exceptional--attentive without being pushy/rushed. We had all the time we needed. Very romantic setting--there was even a wedding on the grounds while we were there. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Late lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014Two our four group members are from England and were craving fish and chips. We wanted to have a late lunch before we went to the airport to return home. When I made the reservation for 2:45 p.m., nothing was said about lunch service stopping at 3:00; however we were able to hurray and order our fish and chips. The fish was good, but the batter was not crisp and was a little on the rubbery side. The fries were good and we truly enjoyed eating outside and watching the boats. Our server was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ViewGregDined on 8/20/2014Great view of San Diego across the bay. The view reminded me somewhat of the view of Seattle from Salty's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tom Ham's RestaurantTonyTigerDined on 8/20/2014Great place to meet! It seems like you are in a private setting. Great view of the city. Food is outstanding. Beer selection is very good. I do not like the view of the cellar though as you enter the restaurant. Restaurant is not apparent until you reach the upper floor. I prefer the old setting.Special Features:
- Another great experience!nadojanDined on 8/18/2014We come to the restaurant often for the great food, the service and the view...all are wonderful!Special Features:
- Simply PerfectLynneeDDined on 8/15/2014From the sunset view of the San Diego bay & city skyline, to the food and drinks, Tom Ham's continues to be the perfect choice for dinner. Our most recent visit was in a group of 6, and every person enjoyed their food (that alone says a lot). Nice selection of wines, and Tom Ham's has a large list of local San Diego craft beers. Our server was attentive and truly cared that our dining experience be exceptional.Special Features:
- Scenic lunch on San Diego HarborOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Ask for a shaded table outside or a window seat. The view it amazing, the food is delicious and the service very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InkslingerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Took a friend for her birthday lunch along with a couple of other friends. We had very good food, excellent service and a view that was spectacular. We will certainly go back.Special Features: