Tom Hams Lighthouse
2150 Harbor Island Dr
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Tom Hams Lighthouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tomhamslighthouse.com/
- Phone: 6192919110x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday From 11:30am-3pm
Brunch: Sunday 9:30am to 2pm
Dinner: Monday-Thursday 5pm - 9pm and Friday & Saturday 5pm-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: Lance Repp
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Stephany in our catering office.
- Private Party Facilities: Private and Semi-private accomadations for groups from 20 to 350. Buyouts avaialble. All Dining space has magnificent view of the San Diego Bay.
- Private Party Contact: Stephany Phenny 619-291-9110x
A word from Tom Hams Lighthouse
Tom Ham’s Lighthouse was built in 1971 by a man who was not afraid to put his name on his product. Rooted in warm welcomes & excellent food, Tom Ham made his lifelong dream a reality. Tom Ham’s Lighthouse is the only restaurant in the US to have a USCG operated & maintained Lighthouse attached to it. You can locate us on any modern nautical map as Beacon #9. Featuring a 100% responsibly resourced seafood menu & award winning Sunday Champagne Brunch, we are a must when it comes to the San Diego food scene. The dining room, purposely shaped like the state of California, allows for groups as grand as 92 yet private enough for a couple’s night out. Holiday brunches have been long time family traditions for many San Diegans. Start your family’s tradition this next holiday. With the best views of the Downtown City Skyline, Coronado & San Diego Bay, Tom Ham's is & remains a San Diego tradition in dining excellence since 1971.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
Tom Hams Lighthouse - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Tom Hams Lighthouse reviews from OpenTable diners
263 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (238)great for outdoor dining (201)special occasion (177)romantic (151)great for brunch (87)good for groups (82)fit for foodies (71)great for lunch (66)notable wine list (42)neighborhood gem (36)hot spot (24)kid-friendly (20)vibrant bar scene (18)late-night find (15)Show More
- spectacular experience!SDCheatTreatsDined on 9/26/2014Having never heard of this place we decided to give it a try during restaurant week due to it's extensive menu options. Everything was impeccable. The mussels appetizer were delicious followed by my swordfish entrée and upside down cake for dessert. Their sangria was probably the best I've ever had and nothing beats the view of the skyline at night. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall... AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014My boyfriend and I went to this restaurant for restaurant week - overall I would say it was an amazing experience. The food was a knock out! I have a few diet restrictions, so sometimes it's difficult to find options that I can have. Plenty of healthy options that have amazing flavor. The only downside was that there was a wedding there the same night that we went so parking was next to impossible. My suggestion is that they should have either called us before and explained where else that we could have parked or had someone waiting outside to direct us towards an alternative parking lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014This place is just amazing. I went here with a friend on restaurant week and it was worth it. We only paid $15 for an appetizer and entree. We got a patio seating, the view was beautiful. The only thing that bothered me was that my server forgot to give me my tartar sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much potentialFoodie11Dined on 9/25/2014Our group of 4 chose Tom Ham's for restaurant week. The view is INCREDIBLE! We started with appetizers, the mussels were amazing, and a great bottle of wine. Things started to go downhill after that. One of our wine glasses was dirty and after the first three were poured, my friend didn't get her glass for a good ten minutes. Then our entrees were brought out and no one checked back until we were almost finished. My salmon was pretty overcooked so I asked for a bit more of the corn purée sauce and they wouldn't give me any saying they were out. We got another bottle of wine and waited as it took over a half hour for dessert to come out. I understand it's Restaurant Week but come on. Our bill was $224 so for that amount, I expect more.Special Features:
- New favoriteRBIIIDined on 9/25/2014Outstanding in every way....food, ambiance, service. Sunset view is fantastic. Well worth the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so greatSeanDined on 9/25/2014Went for lunch during restaurant week and i was very impressed. Great food, great views, the waiter gave us great suggestions. Overall i was very happy with the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and beautiful viewAlwayshungryDined on 9/24/2014We went to Tom Hamms Lighthouse for Restaurant Week. It was very busy and it it took a little while to get our food but the wait was worth it. The food is amazing - they specialize in seafood. Our server was apologetic due to the wait but he never forgot about us and kept checking in. Overall it was a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Worth it for the ViewJDinSDDined on 9/24/2014The best part of this restaurant is the view! The food is good but nothing jumped out as amazing. The specialty cocktails were also good, again not amazing. The maple bacon cinnamon roll was dense and dry, not good. Come for the view, its worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious diningluvssandiegoDined on 9/23/2014Grilled asparagus-perfect , swordfish-impressive, filet -yummy, full sized portions for restaurant week, excellent service with a fantastic view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best View in San DiegoShellyDined on 9/23/2014We had a table on the patio, watched the sun set on the city and enjoyed good food from the Restaurant Week Menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply awesomeKast619Dined on 9/23/2014To begin with the parking was so easy, so much parking available so never will be a problem. We had made reservations so we got seated right away, choice between inside or balcony, we went with balcony and right away the view was beautiful. The ocean with the city view, really awesome. The service could not have been better, our server was very polite and did not rush us, he made us feel comfortable and welcomed. As well as the rest of the servers who were picking our plates up and filling our drinks, very polite. The food was perfectly portioned, it was the menu from restaurant week and all I have to say is that the prices plus all that food was more than worth it, almost a steal. Over all my experience at Tom Hams lighthouse was great.Special Features:
- Scenic spotLolaDined on 9/23/2014Great evening. Request James as your server..you will not be disappointed. Reasonable prices, good food, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chas980VIPDined on 9/23/2014Went here on restaurant week. Service by Raymond was excellent. Portions were not cut down for RW, very good sized. Food was very good. The view outside is outstanding. I hadn't been here before the remodel, so I can't compare, but it is real nice now with the outside dining. I had the rib-eye, cooked perfectly, and the wife had the salmon, which was delicious. The kale salad was delicious as was my wife's beet salad. Definitely will be back.Special Features:
- Wonderful Tom'srodgerDined on 9/23/2014The location seating plan provide a scenic view from ant table, the food is wonderful and the portions generous. The servers are availabe but not intrusive. A grand way to enjoy a fine mealSpecial Features:
- Great experienceLaomaoDined on 9/23/2014We enjoy the fantastic view, extremely friendly server, tasty steak there. Even we went there during the restaurant week, it was still quiet and we could secure a table by the window.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014Was super awesome! Took my girlfriend for dinner and we both enjoyed the view. The food was excellent! Our waitress was extremely nice and knew everything like the back of her handSpecial Features:
- Not so good dinner with a viewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014Our dinner was average: the risotto was a bit undercooked, the paella was sticky. I would expect more from a place like this, but I guess you can't have a delicious dinner and a nice view too!Special Features:
- Best View of Downtown San DiegoHikFrFnDined on 9/21/2014Love the view of downtown San Diego at sunset. Just gorgeous! The Restaurant Week menu was a great value. Food was excellent. The service couldn't have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014The food is excellent and the service was great. The divers sea scallops are to die for. They have excellent deserts (when they have them). The new york strip was cooked perfectly (medium rare) came with fingerling potatoes, on colorful carrots (that still had part of the greens on (yuck)). The duck breast was perfectly cooked and very tasty. The swordfish was nice and most (although the peas/green beans in the vegetables were mushy). Extensive wine list and drink specials. But I had to pay $19.50 for a spicey bloody mary ( that is way to much money ) The food is excellent (minus a little thing here or there), the service was wonderful (it helps to go in early for dinner).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaggiebDined on 9/21/2014My Adult children were in town and I wanted to go somewhere special. Tom Ham's did not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunchRun2eatDined on 9/21/2014great selections, including raw bar... free flowing champagne... amazing view of the city and baySpecial Features:
- View makes the meal memorableChewsieDined on 9/20/2014Not the Tom Ham's of the retirement luncheons and wedding buffets that I remember. Had dropped in for lunch recently and had such a great experience, wanted to try dinner. Good place to take out-of-town visitors ... Dine with a spectacular view of the city. Ask for a patio table for the best view & quieter dining. Our meals ranged from great to good. Seafood platter was a bit shrimp-heavy; but the Alaskan halibut was cooked and served beautifully. The paella relied on too much rice to bulk it up ... tasty but I wouldn't go back for it. Overall a good experience and worth a return trip someday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceCanadianDined on 9/20/2014Great view of the city Delicious sea food Calm ambiance Prompt service The only negative thing is the noise of the jet skis and boats but it wasn't too noticeable.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday CelebrationPregoDined on 9/19/2014Good food, great service, wonderful view. All employees were so very nice, from hostess to bartender, to our server. Prices are such, makes it a special occasion place. Would definitely visit the bar again during happy hour.Special Features:
- Had a fabulous birthday!.EfergDined on 9/17/2014Sat in the sweetheart booth and watched the lights come up. Wonderful food. Arlen our server was attentive and charming. Thank you for the memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seafood dining for visitorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014The weather and view from the outdoor dining area was excellent. The waiter was very helpful in explaining and recommending food and the service was excellent. Drinks were keep filled and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Great view, food needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014Staff knew by the reservation that it was my husband's birthday, yet they did nothing to acknowledge it, and we had visitors in from abroad. Quite disappointing to be there for that special occasion and to have nothing said/done by staff. Table next to us enjoyed a birthday dessert which made it even worse. Salmon portion was tiny, paella was too salty, desserts that we ordered appeared sloppily put together. Overall a disappointing experience, though the view was indeed beautiful.Special Features:
- A-List in San DiegoLizaBopizaDined on 9/13/2014On all the occasions my husband and I have dined at Tom Hams Lighthouse, we had always enjoyed a good meal and the hospitality of your staff. We never felt rushed. We particularly like the Paella, with its fresh seafood and generous portions. The salads are terrific-never disappointing: fresh & thoughtfully put together (we esp. like the spinach with figs, gorgonzola & pistachio). Spectacular views a huge plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view and wonderful food!PosterDined on 9/13/2014I have stayed on Harbor Island many times and known of Tam's , but had never been before. I will definitely be eating here more often! the view was fantastic! The food was delicious and the service was wonderful. We had grilled asparagus and calamari as appetizers which were delicious. I had the halibut which was superbly cooked and my wife had the NY steak done to perfection. It was truly a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great viewDoctorBDined on 9/10/2014We go here for the view of the San Diego skyline and Coronado Island across the bay. You can sit outside almost right over the Bay, which we love. The food is good, but certainly not the best seafood in San Diego. And if you do sit outside, especially on a weekend as the sun sets, you might think about whether you want to be observing someone's wedding and reception just below you, as that can be happening. That adds to the noise level a bit, as do naval helicopters flying in and out of the Navy base on Coronado Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and view were spectacularGailRDined on 9/10/2014I met some friends for dinner and we all really enjoyed the spectacular views of the harbor and downtown skyline. The food and service were especially good. I will not hesitate to recommend to friends.Special Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014We went at 7:15 on a Sunday...possibly not the best time of the day. Our server was fantastic tho, and the food was exquisite in both taste and presentation. We'll definitely be back. This is a case where experience counts. Tom Ham's Lighthouse has been around forever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch was low in warm serversOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014I have always loved this place especially since the reno. Champaign service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a special occasionAidanDDined on 9/7/2014We went to brunch to celebrate two birthdays (my best friend's and mine) with an out-of-town guest. It was our first time there, and we were impressed. Our champagne glasses were only empty once. The crab legs were perfectly cooked. The corned beef hash was amazing, the prime rib was delicious, and other party members praised the eggs Benedict. We sat outdoors and loved the view. The indoor seating was more large parties and seemed like it might be a little loud. Only food complaint I have is that the oysters had too much grit, likely from speedy, high-volume shucking. Stick to the scallops and crab on the seafood buffet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mid-autumn dinesddineDined on 9/6/2014Our family went to the restaurant a few days ago and we got outdoor window table overlooking the bay and downtown San Diego. The view is spectacular. We took lots of pictures while enjoying dining. We definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunchBirthday46Dined on 9/6/2014Food was great. Service was OK. Asked for extra limes with sparkling water and server never delivered them. Had to flag down a bus-person to get them and were delivered on a paper cocktail napkin, not a small dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be for sureTahoeDined on 9/4/2014Food was okay, service is terrible, very unattentive waiters. Way too many sales pitches explaing the menu. Air conditioning was off or too low. Moved us outside, and sat us under a heater!. Martinis came with no olives - really? Ordered a pasta dish, and there was no pasta spoon - had to use my coffee spoon - real class! Just another hipster joint for the 20's crowd who don't know any better. Took prime rib off which is beyond me? They only have a few cuts of beef now, and instead of bread, they give you "European Flat Bread" which is just lowsy seasoned crackers - just more cutsy stuff that's ruining the restaurant. After 30 years of going to Tom Ham's, it's time to find another place.Special Features:
- Luv2dineoutDined on 9/4/2014It was my birthday dinner and we were four diners. Appetizers were calamari and octopus. Both were succulent and paired with delicious chili-lime infused dipping sauce. My sis-in-law and I enjoyed fresh swordfish entrée--and it was FRESH! My husband had the rib-eye cooked to perfection, and my bro-in-law had the squid-ink risotto. He's still raving about it! Service was unobtrusive but very efficient. The view of San Diego bay watching the sunset gleaming off the windows of the city's high-rises--SPECTACULAR. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Perfect ChoiceGForDieDined on 9/2/2014The three of us were celebrating my elderly dad's birthday. They treated us all with dignity and respect. We had a quiet lunch outside overlooking the Harbor. We had the swordfish ("Market Fish") which was perfectly cooked and came with a delicious sauce. We had oysters and shrimp appetizers, also amazing, and sorbet and gelato for dessert. The coconut sorbet was the best we have ever tasted. The waiter easily fielded all our gluten-related questions. He was knowledgeable and even went out of his way to research a question we had. His timing as a waiter was impeccable. Truly one of the best dining experiences we have ever had! I hear they are under new management. I am so impressed with what they are doing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely View/Delightful MealetxgrlVIPDined on 8/31/2014We visited Tom Ham's on my first trip to San Diego. Both the city and the restaurant were wonderful. Every table has a view of the harbor. My salad with grilled peaches was so very yummy. The 2 of us split the paella and were so pleased with the selection. I wish we had stayed longer in San Diego so we could have visited again.Special Features: