Toloache - Upper East Side
166 East 82nd St.,
New York, NY 10028Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Toloache - Upper East Side
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.toloachenyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 861-4505
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00p - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Chef Julian Medina
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Please contact events manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact events manager at email@example.com
A word from Toloache - Upper East Side
Welcome to Toloache (pronounced toh-lo-AH-tchay), chef-owner Julian Medina's contemporary Mexican bistro located in the Upper East Side. Toloache is named after a flowering plant famed in Mexico for its use in love potions. We hope that when you dine with us you too will fall under the spell of chef Medina's creative cooking, which incorporates seasonal and natural ingredients and more than a dozen types of chilies. Along with the authentic Mexican menu and an exceptional tequila list, we offer elegant decorative elements imported from Mexico. We look forward to seeing you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Toloache - Upper East Side - Best Restaurants in Upper East Side ›
Toloache - Upper East Side reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (85)fit for foodies (69)good for groups (43)vibrant bar scene (36)great for outdoor dining (36)hot spot (26)special occasion (20)kid-friendly (18)great for brunch (17)romantic (15)great for lunch (10)late-night find (8)notable wine list (2)Show More
- ratatatDined on 11/24/2014Tolouche is the only neighborhood restaurant that I truly love. Most of the time we go to Brooklyn or the Village for good food but this place is outstanding. Pleasant but not extraordinary service- though the wait staff is good about clearing. I only wish it wasn't so loud in the back room. There are only a few spots in the restaurant where you can talk without raising your voice to be heard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican at its best in NYC.RosemhernDined on 11/22/2014I was in the mood for a steak, so Mexican was not on my list, but I checked the menu and there were two choices. The food was delicious, great prime rib with fingerling potatoes, Brussels sprouts, cactus fries. Fabulous sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely FantasticDavebDined on 11/15/2014Celebrated two birthdays here and everything was absolutely perfect. Food was fantastic, service was attentive, and the decor was quite lovely. Cocktails were excellent and reasonably priced. Would 100% return and hope to soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheers!diniVIPDined on 11/11/2014If you remember the old Cheers theme song, it's a most apt description of Toloache, where everyone knows your name and you are greeted warmly each time you enter. There are more excellent tequilas than I can count. The food is fabulous, especially the smoked salmon quesadilla, quinoa paella, shrimp quesadilla, and the Pollo Toloache. In season, there is nothing like dining under the stars on the back patio. This place gets everything right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican in NYC!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2014This place truly is the best Mexican restaurant I have ever been to. From the amazing quesadilla with black truffles and corn to the lobster tacos and the short rib tacos! Beyond fabulous! I cannot say enough about this place. Excellent service! Excellent ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- abgandpdsDined on 11/8/2014We have been to this restaurant several times and feel that the quality of the food is not as good as before.Special Features:
- SusieQDined on 11/8/2014Shrimp were very difficult to find in the shrimp tacos, mostly sauce and cut up pieces, disappointing, the guacamole was great, and the Toloache margarita was very good, but again the chicken tacos were mostly chopped tomatoes!Special Features:
- Loud and lots of kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/8/2014the restaurant is very load, and filled with little kids and strollers at brunch time.Special Features:
- Mexican GemSmokinJoeDined on 11/7/2014Ecclectic mexican food - no fajitas. Guacamole, ceviche, suckling pig, avocado fries, everything here is over the top. We made it here at 5:45 for dinner just because we knew it was worthwhile as once before we had just happened to walk in looking for fajitas - we have since forgotten fajitas after finding this gem.Special Features:
- Consistently outstanding!!!lindarsVIPDined on 11/5/2014To our surprise, the night we dined at Toloache, they were celebrating their 3rd Anniversary. Not only did the restaurant offer anniversary specials but we were serenaded with a wonderful mariachi band. Without a doubt, Toloache is my favorite Mexican restaurant. This was the first time at the UES location. The wait staff are attentive and friendly as in their other locations. Thank you for another wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Place!AnonymousDined on 11/4/2014They made a friend's birthday very special. Food was wonderful and I can't wait to return! Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently fabulousdelishDined on 11/2/2014I have been to Toloache several times and have never been disappointed. Food is always interesting and delicious. Loved my watermelon margarita and my lobster salad. Guacamole is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/1/2014Brought friends with us and they were amazed at the quality of the food. A restaurant where everything on the menu is delicious.Special Features:
- Tolache Kills It!!!TolacheVIPDined on 10/31/2014Hands down the best Mexican food in the City. Guac to order, great basics and ambitious gourmet inspired dishes. Staff is warm and friendly. Gets very busy so get a reservation or be prepared to wait.Special Features:
- Most enjoyableGringuitaDined on 10/29/2014Quesadillas wee spectacular, especially the cheese, corn and truffle oil one. Also the squash guacamole was delicious. Desserts were a little disappointing. Service was great. A great night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Toloache Rocks!MomusingVIPDined on 10/29/2014I love going to Toloache. The food is always delicious and the service is excellent. Plus, the greatest margaritas!Special Features:
- MarillynDowntownworkdowntownVIPDined on 10/27/2014Food always fun, interesting and good. love the pomegranate guacamole (just have them make spicer) and the magaritasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummySuperYummyVIPDined on 10/26/2014We ate at Tolache for brunch. The food is great. The service was nice too. The restaurant was partially filled. We ate guacamole, fish tacos and the tuna tar tar taquitos. Everything was great. Drinks are not included so brunch can get pricy but teh margaritas are tasty. My only complaint is the inside has no natural light, so on a nice sunny day you don't get any of the natural light. Other than that it was another great meal at Tolache.Special Features:
- Delicious rediscovery!SRadjyVIPDined on 10/24/2014This was my second time at Toloache, but I had forgotten just how good everything on their menu is! Well, that's not tested and tried but the fish tacos are superb and the paella de quinoa (with truffle oil) was so good we ordered a second one to go to eat the next day - turns out it's as delicious cold. Cute spot with friendly service and good drinks, reasonably priced, and fit-for-foodie dishes. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Do not missGothamfoodie1Dined on 10/23/2014This restaurant has great food. Service is friendly and the place is cozy. I have never had a bad meal there. The food is also creative such as in friend avocado. It's delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I don't like Mexican foodNYS123VIPDined on 10/19/2014That said, Toloache is a go-to for me. From masterfully prepared cocktails to delicious appetizers and entrees to innovative specials. This place is truly special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing place!!!!!!PPLaurenDined on 10/17/2014Amazing place for great mexican food and drinks!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderulOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/14/2014Looking forward to returning. Excellent food, the best mexican food I have ever had. Thrilled I live on the same street.Special Features:
- Include a side dishValueboyDined on 10/11/2014Excellent food, good service, high prices ok for this quality but a side dish should be included with mains, instead of charging $9 for a side of kale,etcSpecial Features:
- Not ordinarymidtownVIPDined on 10/4/2014Let me begin by saying I am a fan of guacamole made table side which does not happen here. Yes, it is fresh, but the portion is rather small. The rest of the menu delivers on its promise. Inventive, but not overreaching, and consistent. And did I ment an excellent collection of tequilas.Special Features:
- Excellent againYumYumVIPDined on 10/4/2014The food here is so much better than other Mexican restaurants in the city…fresh ingredients, beautifully prepared, interesting offerings, and delicious! The service is always genuinely friendly, solicitous and well executed. The bar does a great job with traditional and updated versions of the standards you'd expect at a Mexican restaurant. Only one caveat…it's reflected in the price, which is to be expected in NYC, but at least you come away happy and satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/4/2014The service at this restaurant is amazingly great! The food was wonderful, we will definitely return and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tequila ListrubyfishVIPDined on 9/29/2014And the menu selections are so varied and delicious. The short ribs and cod entrees were amazing! Ask to sample the tequila - they will let you!Special Features:
- Just Keeps Getting Better!diniVIPDined on 9/27/2014Toloache 82 is the Upper East Side's own Cheers...everybody knows your name, service is warm and friendly, the food is exceptional, especially when they have their smoked salmon quesadilla to celebrate Jewish holidays. Also love the paella, Pollo Toloache, the Tumbada and the shrimp quesadilla. And, you cannot beat the extensive tequila offerings! Dining under the stars on the back patio is just sublime. In fact, everything about Toloache 82 is as close to perfection as it gets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just badNYDinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014There are good Mexican restaurants in New York. This is not one of them. Bad service, rushed and indifferent. Bland food, which is hard to do with Mexican. It's what a Mexican night at a low end cruise is probably like. I don't know why anyone would go to Toloache.
- Nice enough MexicanELNMDined on 9/26/2014The food especially the guacamole was tasty enough. Limited wine by the glass selection and really over crowded restaurant with tables even in the passage way between the indoor and outdoor dining areas. Other than ok food and space issues the service was good and the churros a must have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Mexican foodOliaVIPDined on 9/21/2014Mexican food in the best interpretation. So happy to have in my hood! Delicious, innovative in a beautiful environment. Garden sitting is romantic and funSpecial Features:
- Hard to reviewWillVIPDined on 9/15/2014I really don't like giving a less than sparkling review on this restaurant because of all the other glowing reviews, but... The atmosphere was really good and in an upscale neighborhood. We ate on the patio which was more open and quiet. The service was good up until our food was served. We were never offered a second drink or checked on by the main server. His helpers were good, our water was never empty as was the chips basket. My food was sub par compared to other places we eat when we visit NYC. We have eaten at their other place closer to Times Square and it was better in my opinion. Would I go back? Not likely but I would recommend anyone to try it, it just didn't work for my taste, and I like a couple of drinks with my meal.Special Features:
- Great upscale MexicanGringuitaDined on 9/8/2014We really love this restaurant. Outside seating is preferable, esp for the reduced noise level. Inside is louder. Wonderful quesadillas- truffle oil makes it special. Tuna- watermelon ceviche is delicious. Could be more generous on the guacamole, for that price. Service is terrific. Now one of my neighborhood favesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican experienceMarjaxDined on 8/29/2014In our group of six, the food was uniformly excellent, as were the margaritas. Our waiter likewise was excellent, with a very good tableside manner with very helpful guidance and tips on the menu. Toloache UES has an intimacy and neighborhood feel that is missing from some of the larger, high-end chain Mexican restaurants in NYC. Overall experience was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new2tryingDined on 8/26/2014Really delicious food, fantastic service. Loved the black truffle quesadilla. The entrees are a little small so may need to order more than one of the slightly pricey entrees to satisfy your hunger. Tres leches dessert is definitely worth trying.Special Features:
- Very good Mexican hot spot in UEJuanCVIPDined on 8/21/2014I had been to Toloache in Midtown West and this Toloache keeps the very good drink and food selection but in a more UE setting - more families and dates. Pros - drinks and food (excellent guacamole) - vibrant scene - outdoor patio Cons - somewhat expensive (esp drinks) - scene dies out early (esp patio due to noise I suppose) Overall recommend as fun very good Mexican.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch Mexican foodDaveDined on 8/21/2014Very tasty Mexican cuisine. A cut above the usual fare, and highly recommended. Little pricey, but great for a special occasion or nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All senses come into playSteveVIPDined on 8/17/2014The food and service utilize all of the right senses. The texture of the food, taste, smell, and appearance are superb. Always enjoy our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Food is always exceptional. Service very average.Special Features: