Toloache - Upper East Side
166 East 82nd St.,
New York, NY 10028Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Toloache - Upper East Side
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.toloachenyc.com/
- Phone: 2128614505
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00p - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Chef Julian Medina
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Please contact events manager at email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact events manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Toloache - Upper East Side
Welcome to Toloache (pronounced toh-lo-AH-tchay), chef-owner Julian Medina's contemporary Mexican bistro located in the Upper East Side. Toloache is named after a flowering plant famed in Mexico for its use in love potions. We hope that when you dine with us you too will fall under the spell of chef Medina's creative cooking, which incorporates seasonal and natural ingredients and more than a dozen types of chilies. Along with the authentic Mexican menu and an exceptional tequila list, we offer elegant decorative elements imported from Mexico. We look forward to seeing you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Toloache - Upper East Side - Best Restaurants in Upper East Side ›
Toloache - Upper East Side reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (75)fit for foodies (66)great for outdoor dining (53)good for groups (37)vibrant bar scene (36)great for brunch (29)special occasion (27)hot spot (25)kid-friendly (19)romantic (19)great for lunch (13)late-night find (7)notable wine list (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Very good Mexican hot spot in UEJuanCVIPDined on 8/21/2014I had been to Toloache in Midtown West and this Toloache keeps the very good drink and food selection but in a more UE setting - more families and dates. Pros - drinks and food (excellent guacamole) - vibrant scene - outdoor patio Cons - somewhat expensive (esp drinks) - scene dies out early (esp patio due to noise I suppose) Overall recommend as fun very good Mexican.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch Mexican foodDaveDined on 8/21/2014Very tasty Mexican cuisine. A cut above the usual fare, and highly recommended. Little pricey, but great for a special occasion or nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All senses come into playSteveVIPDined on 8/17/2014The food and service utilize all of the right senses. The texture of the food, taste, smell, and appearance are superb. Always enjoy our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Food is always exceptional. Service very average.Special Features:
- CindyVIPDined on 8/15/2014This was recommended by a colleague at work and it was delicious. I love southwestern food and there are not a lot of restaurants on the UES. This will definitely be a favorite. Only downer is it is expensive.Special Features:
- Unique Mexican FareDenPatVIPDined on 8/14/2014Delicious and somewhat unique Mexican fare served by a most knowledgeable, efficient and friendly waiter. A bit too loud for me but the overall quality of the experience muted much of the noise.
- Best Mexican Bistro!diniVIPDined on 8/13/2014This Mexican Bistro does everything to perfection. Their nightly specials are inventive and delicious. I was especially impressed by the red snapper when last I dined there. The service is warm and friendly, and when weather permits, nothing beats dining outdoors on the back patio!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mexican restaurantIfi1Dined on 8/11/2014The food was delicious. The guacamole is exceptional and the lobster tacos are a must trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/8/2014our second time here & it was even better than the first! Everything was delicious, which sounds impossible, but it's true! The Costilla de Rey was our new discovery this time, and i'll never get anything else there. it was SO tasty! The guac was good, but the salsa they bring out with it is really something special. We also loved the corn on the cob size and the plantain size. highly highly recommended. The Suadero taco was even tastier this time than last time. and the mojitos were spot on. really, couldn't have had a tastier meal! Service was great, though our main dishes all came out except for our friend's ceviche, and we were all waiting while our warm dishes cooled until she got hers which seems silly. We'll definitely be back soon!
- The best ceviche and guacamole 'KathyazulDined on 8/7/2014Toloache now it's my favorite Mexican restaurant with Excelent services and friendly hemisphere .. The food Excelent .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- California Mex comes to NYCalanahVIPDined on 8/5/2014Great surprise to find awesome Mexican food on the city!Special Features:
- Upscale Mexican CuisineRonaVIPDined on 8/3/2014This is not your "typical" taco place. The food is upscale in all the positive sense of the word. Complex tastes, artistically presented.Special Features:
- Delicious! A bit noisy.isleofnewyorkDined on 8/2/2014Extremely tasty, with many items I haven't seen at other Mexican restaurants. Tacos were among the most delicious and imaginative I have ever had, filled with interesting ingredients. I wasn't wild about having to shout to be heard two feet away, though. I don't know why Opentable calls the highest noise level "energetic." Annoying or excessive would make more sense.Special Features:
- Real Mexican cuisinechatlunchDined on 7/30/2014Quality of food was superb. Preparations were authentic. However, for a mid-week dinner in NYC in July, the noise level was deafening. Also, waitstaff appeared driven to push high level tequilas and underestimated portion sizes. Overall, the food was the star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All-around fantastic experiencepriorserverDined on 7/27/2014Our party of 3 sat outside for weekend brunch at 11:30, the hostess was friendly and accommodating, the servers and bussers were all fantastic, attentive but not too hovering. The food was great as usual; couldn't have asked for a better way to recover from our hangovers! Thanks again for a great time.Special Features:
- Authentic MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/26/2014Pleasantly surprised by the food. We would love to come back!Special Features:
- Wonderful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014I've eaten at the 82nd Street Toloache at least half a dozen times and it never disappoints. The staff is pleasant, the food is fabulous consistently and the only complaint I would voice is that it is quite noisy. Overall, though, I love it.Special Features:
- Good food, good drinkMjdubbsDined on 7/22/2014Drink list was extensive. Guacamole was very good and tacos that followed seem authentic and very original in their flavors and tastes. Only con was that it was very noisy when we first got there. To the point that you could tell and no one around you would know what you were saying. As it got later though and the bigger groups left, it got much quieter. Would definitely recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedNYCdinerDined on 7/20/2014Hostess refused to sit us at requested "reserved" tables that remained empty for our entire dinner. Waiter was unfriendly, inattentive, and chatting with co-worker most of the time. Appetizers and soft drinks were small and overpriced. Dinner portion was better, not prepared as requested, and had to be sent back. For the size of the staff and the volume of diners at the time, service was definitely poor and a bit snobby.
- Just Doesn't Get Any Better...diniVIPDined on 7/20/2014...than cucumber margaritas and ceviche under the stars! The backyard patio is THE place to be to indulge in outstanding Mexican fare and fabulous service. An oasis in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing Beats Dining Under Stars!diniVIPDined on 7/16/2014This UES Mexican Bistro has the very best outdoor patio, where one can enjoy fabulous food, margaritas, and friendly, warm service under the stars! The outstanding selection of tequilas may be among the best in town, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!LillybelleVIPDined on 7/15/2014What a surprise! I've walked by many times but never went in but the other night we did and sooo glad we did. Tacos were FABULOUS, as was the guacamole trio. A previous reviewer said the tacos were small so I ordered 4! (2 plates)Not necessary, one order was perfect. The ambience was charming and fun. Thunder and lightening and pouring rain outside and it was still packed inside.Two celebs were dining together and after dinner stopped by the surrounding tables to say hi! That was a fun bonus. We will definitely go back. Service was great- we had a reservation and didn't have to wait even though it was packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food. Great staff!DolceLupoSFDined on 7/11/2014We we married at City Hall, then held a small sunset reception at the rooftop of the Met. We then had dinner afterwards at Toloache 82, and we couldn't have been more pleased. The staff was so warm and attentive, particularly our hostess, Lady. The food was also amazing. The flavors were wonderfully fresh and complex (the drinks and the entrees) and did justice to Mexican cuisine, that we have rarely found. Thanks you. Thanks for a wonderful ending to our special day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/11/2014Our first time at Toloache, but it definitely won't be our last. Delicious mojitos and all of the tacos we tried were great -- particular favorites were the brisket and carne asada tacos (even among folks who aren't usually huge into red meat). The corn on the cob side is awesome. And the plantain side was also incredible. We got a guac (the frutas one), which was great (though I was bummed we didn't do the trio sampler), but a smaller portion than I expected. The salsa that came with it might have been the best salsa ever -- not water and not chunky and SO flavorful. We'll definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- Delicious and creative MexicanYumYumVIPDined on 7/10/2014Definitely one of the best Mexican restaurants in Manhattan. Traditional with a twist. Great service, fresh ingredients, interesting combinations ... Not TexMex. Will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!!!CosmopolitanVIPDined on 7/5/2014If you want to try a very good Mexican/Latin American food this is the place to go. Very good, friendly service, decent wine list.Special Features:
- Delicious Mexican food!DCEaterVIPDined on 7/5/2014I came here with a friend for lunch. We were impressed with their entrees! I highly recommend the steak taco (carne asada)! My friend and I spent a lot longer on lunch because we really enjoyed our food! The service was excellent! The space is a little crampy, but its NYC. However, if I were to return, I would definitely consider dining at this restaurant again!Special Features:
- WonderfulNsmithDined on 6/30/2014We really enjoyed our food. The mojitos here are great! The server looked exhausted but still did a decent job. The outdoor seating is beautiful, but noisy if it's packed. My husband and I sat in the outdoor hallway which felt private and romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/23/2014told the waiter i had celiac & asked him to double-check that everything we ordered was "safe" for me to eat (gluten free). he said he did. then brought out a dish with breadcrumb battered, fried avocado. when a customer says they have a food allergy, and it is completely disregarded, it is truly unacceptable!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/19/2014Service was way off. Normally better. Food great as always.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/17/2014The food at Toloache was simply fantastic. A good array of choices, especially for appetizers, and so many good ones that it was hard to choose. Our only complaint is that it was very noisy, but we got used to it and would still go again.Special Features:
- ritaradichio1Dined on 6/16/2014Wonderful, inventive food Fantastic margaritas ands hurt rib tacos.Special Features:
- Always the best in Mexican food!WinstonVIPDined on 6/15/2014Toloache never fails to deliver really good Mexican fare - for brunch or for dinner, or for a quick stop at the bar for a Margarita and snacks. Love this place!Special Features:
- A Perfect Summer Spot!diniVIPDined on 6/11/2014Feasting on soft shell crab tacos and watermelon margaritas under the stars is as good as it gets!! I love Toloache all year round, but during the warm summer months, it's heaven on earth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adelaide S.A.Chris123Dined on 6/9/2014Restaurant recommended in Sydney while travelling to N.Y.. Not disappointed. Wonderful meal. Mexican dishes. Varied and very tasty served by terrific staff in friendly and professional manner. Loved everything about the experience, and have already recommended to friends in N.Y..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014Amazing restaurant! Food was so good and wait staff were incredibly friendly and helpfulSpecial Features:
- Muy BuenoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/6/2014A very attractive restaurant with a modern Mexican atmosphere and none of the cliches. The food is delicious with a contemporary take on traditional Mexican dishes and flavors. Wanting to sample many tastes, three of us chose to share guacamole, ceviche, tacos and a quesidilla, all delicious. Our only disappointment was the size of the portions which left us wanting more of each taste. The dessert sampling was an excellent choice and just enough at the end of dinner. Worth a return trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WinstonVIPDined on 6/1/2014Best Mexican restaurant - so pleased to have this charming Mexican spot in our neighborhood. Brunch yesterday was delicious, the posole was excellent, and we have had really good scallops, tacos, quesadillas with huitlacoche - all the food is very well prepared and well presented, by professional waiters. The tiny outdoor area is charming and even on hot days, with its large canopy, it can be cool and calm. The Toloache in the theater district is good too, but this is my favorite spot for good Mexican food.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and Support Staff!priorserverDined on 6/1/2014We were a party of 5 and arrived on time for our 11:30 reservation. The hostess was awful; neither friendly nor accommodating, and left a terrible first impression. I used to be a hostess and I understand the job can be frustrating, but come on. Maybe it was just a bad day. Once we were seated, the food was amazing and the server was good, but honestly the real superstars were the Bussers. I feel like Support Staffers don't get enough credit in reviews, and these guys were real superstars. Attentive but not overbearing, and they handled the brunch crowd with ease. Great job guys! My boyfriend and I live on Madison and will definitely be back. After a bumpy start I would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Creative MexicanTravelJunkieVIPDined on 5/31/2014My husband and I just enjoyed a terrific meal at Toloache in their charming outdoor garden. We shared the delicious spicy guacamole, two excellent ceviches, brisket tacos and the short rib main course with a side of Brussels sprouts and there wasn't a single bite that wasn't scrumptious. The Margaritas are a perfect complement with the food. We finished off with the churros - light and crunchy with chocolate and dulce de leche dipping sauces that are rich and tasty, but not overly sweet. This is the first time we've tried the East side location, which is lovely, though I don't think you can go wrong at any of the branches.Special Features: