Toloache Thompson St.
205 Thompson St.
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Toloache Thompson St.
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.toloachenyc.com/
- Phone: 2124200600x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Chef Julian Medina
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Off-site catering is available
A word from Toloache Thompson St.
Welcome to Toloache (pronounced toh-lo-AH-tchay), chef-owner Julian Medina’s contemporary Mexican bistro located in Greenwich Village. Toloache is named after a flowering plant famed in Mexico for its use in love potions. We hope that when you dine with us you too will fall under the spell of chef Medina’s creative cooking, which incorporates seasonal and natural ingredients and more than a dozen types of chilies. Our festive, two-story space features a guacamole and ceviche bar and an exceptional tequila list, along with elegant decorative elements imported from Mexico. We're looking forward to seeing you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Toloache Thompson St. - Best Restaurants in Greenwich Village ›
Toloache Thompson St. reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (56)fit for foodies (50)good for groups (32)romantic (21)special occasion (19)hot spot (18)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (14)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (10)scenic view (7)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Excellent mexican foodKDnycDined on 9/19/2014From the quesadilla to the suckling pig, it was all amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is GreatMahoganyDined on 9/13/2014Had a great time. Great food - very authentic Mexican cuisine. The Guacamole & Chips is an absolute must to order. The drinks were delicious. The server gave great suggestions. Definitely would go back.Special Features:
- Excellent foodRedSharkDined on 9/13/2014The ambience and service are outstanding, food is excellent. I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeEsteban87Dined on 9/6/2014We had a bachelor/bachelorette dinner at Toloache for my brother and his fiancee's upcoming wedding and we had a great overall experience. We actually came to Toloache accidentally as I thought I had made reservations at a different restaurant but it turned out to be a lucky break. The food is modern take on real Mexican cuisine (not Tex-Mex, and confirmed by my Mexican GF) and everybody loved their dishes. I had the lechon, and it may have been the best lechon I've ever had. Portions are not huge, but they're filling enough. Drinks (everybody had margaritas) were delicious and service was friendly and attentive. They even gave us a round of shots to help us celebrate the occasion. Overall it was a great experience and I would recommend it!Special Features:
- LOVE TOLOACHE, GO AND BE HAPPYPapaHughDined on 9/6/2014I am kinda stingy with the 5 stars, but Toloache deserves every one. The food is amazing, service is super friendly but tight and professional, great space. We have never had anything here that we say "this needs a bit of ____" or "i'd change ____" So much flavor in every dish and everything is perfect.Special Features:
- SMaPPerDined on 9/5/2014Very good food, but much too loud for families for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2014Food was delicious, carefully prepared. Enjoyed variety of proteins and vegetable-based dishes also. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Toloache on ThompsonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Great food but small portions! Got the tacos and just felt there was something missing. I would go back thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Toloache on ThompsonHunterDined on 8/28/2014Another hit from Julian Medina...this is the sister restaurant to its uptown sibling and cousin to the Yuerba Buena's. Great guacamole, tacos and ceviches to start followed by delish entrees. Great cocktails, beers and wines to enjoy with your meal in a nice space with exceptional service by friendly waiters who care. For more, check out http://huntershotandhipnyc.wordpress.com/Special Features:
- great birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014The service and food were fantastic and we were not an easy group (10 including kids and picky eaters). Their margaritas are as good as you would expect, especially the one made with the double-barrel aged house tequila. We ordered an array of apps and entrees--the brisket, lobster, and steak tacos were table favorites, and not a morsel went uneaten, even the spicy kale! We were so full only about half of the table ordered dessert, but they brought out additional desserts for the two birthdays at the table, and again, everything was delicious. The pina colada cake was unique. I've been to Toloache midtown and this new location was every bit as good. The others, who were first timers, were raving that they'd definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diinner after a showyummyDined on 8/24/2014We enjoyed dinner at Toloache after going to a show near by. It was a gorgeous day, so they had the windows/doors open. They had extended the menu from restaurant week - so that is the option I picked. Great re-created Mexican food. Everything was delicious. Drinks were interesting and fun, desserts were amazing as well,- very rich.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mexican foodFoodiebutnoteffeteDined on 8/22/2014This restaurant, though part of a small chain, serves some of the best Mexican food in NYC. My significant other and I are foodies, and consider ourselves quite knowledgable in this area. The quesadilla with shrimp was like a pizzette and it was absolutely delicious. There are three types of guacamole, and all three (we ordered the sampler) were quite good. The taco carne asada was one of the best I've ever had. The service was friendly and efficient, and the atmosphere at the Thompson Street location had an enjoyable downtown vibe. The margaritas were inventive and delicious. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicer ambiance than Times SquareRichVIPDined on 8/21/2014Delicious guacamole and taco selection. Great atmosphere including the upstairs. Margaritas are small but tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican find.Johnno2704Dined on 8/19/2014Toloache is a small gem in the West Village. It does a modern take on Mexican classics and has a hot little tequila and mezcal bar as a bonus. Service is helpful and friendly. You will have a good night here.Special Features:
- Glad we got to this place.snackcrackerDined on 8/17/2014The staff are very friendly and always check back to see that you are happy with the food and service. Have dined there on 3 occasions and was accommodated with window seating requests on all occasions. Drinks are great. Have brought some very picky diners here to try this place and all of them have gone back after their first visit. Have enjoyed all of the meals, the food is delicious.Special Features:
- Eh..LittleRedDined on 8/14/2014Great ceviche, everything else was average. Note to self, don't order wine at Mexican restaurants.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week Win!OmeletteDuFromageDined on 8/13/2014Looking thru Restaurant Week menus, Toloache definitely stood out. I loved that they had a fish, meat & chicken entree. They had great selections for appetizers too. The restaurant itself is not a stereotypical Mexican spot. It has a very contemporary and relaxed ambiance with great friendly staff. The food was amazing! Every dish was well seasoned and delicious. I would definitely go again and try different dishes.Special Features:
- top notch MexicanargentDined on 8/6/2014I really think its one of the top Mexican restaurants in town. Comes highly recommended from an iffy-foodie like myself.Special Features:
- Delicioso ComerlbnnycDined on 8/5/2014Chose the restaurant from listing for Restaurant Week, and from seeing good reviews. We were not disappointed as the food was delicious and we received excellent service. The pricing is comparable to other relatively expensive Mexican food restaurants, and measured up to an good, albeit expensive Mexican food dinner. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Exquisite neighborhood find!FANDXVIPDined on 8/3/2014We went during Restaurant Week knowing nothing about the place and were pleasantly surprised by how close to perfection it is. Visually it was one of the most beautiful neighborhood spots we have been to - both the bright, warm interior and the view of Thompson Street that was exactly what you expect the Village to look like on a summer night. Food was also visually beautiful but more than that, it was impeccably and creatively prepared (quinoa salad a standout - fish and steak close behind) - Everybody on the staff was friendly (not overly so), competent and extremely attentive in a very natural way - they all genuinely seemed to love what they do and proud of their food and restaurant. It was a totally wonderful experience!Special Features:
- So good, so fun... great time!live2dineoutVIPDined on 8/3/2014The service is impeccable and Luis runs a tight ship. Food is wonderful, guacamoles are luscious, and the drinks are great (especially the frozen margaritas)Special Features:
- Fabulous LunchBKOKDined on 8/1/2014It was my first time at Toloache and I am so happy that I found it thanks to Restaurant Week! The food was beautifully prepared, very authentic and delicious. The ceviche and mole were perfect. Our waiter made some wonderful suggestions and the service was impecable. I'm so glad to discover such an excellent and authentic Mexican kitchen right in my hood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way overpricedFrancescaDined on 7/25/2014The food was good, nothing to write home about. But the portins were small and it was just way too expensive for the overall quality and portions. We were a group of 6. 2 people only ordered 1 app. We had 5 drinks. Our bill was $313. I wouldn't go back just for the price.
- I Should Have Dined Here Before NowRaivenneDined on 7/25/2014Boy do I regret not trying this place sooner. The open windows facing the street on a summer Friday night was perfect. Surprisingly moderate noise levels considering the open windows and that the place was nearly packed when we left, conversation was easy. The wait staff was attentive and good with suggestions. Their Mango Margarita was perfect; enough tequila to know there's definitely some in there, but not so much as to give pause. The medium guacamole was a delightful surprise. Semi sweet with with mango, pomegranate and habenara sauce on the side giving it that perfect kick of heat. I threw the prix fixe aside, went for the seafood paella and enjoyed every single scrumptious bite. I will most certainly return here soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekSaJJDined on 7/24/2014Went to this place on Thursday for resturant week special dinner. It turned out to be the best we ever had. Food was excellent, service was great, romantic and energetic. Great dinner for $25 per person. Thanks!Special Features:
- Loved the food, Not the drinks!Steve64Dined on 7/24/2014I loved every courseI of my $38 RW dinner. Whether what I had was authentic Mexican I do not know but still the pork tacos and fish main course was tasty and interesting. My gf liked her fish tacos very much. Even our side order of rice and beans was out of the ordinary. Unfortunately, I had a real problem with the drinks. I'm not a tequila expert but I've done my research. I specifically asked for reposado or silver tequila in my drink and said I was willing to pay to make sure I got it. I was charged $15 but I'm quite sure I was given the cheap tequila. My drink had a harsh taste to it. I have found this to be the norm in many Mexican restaurants. I still highly recommend Toloache but just be careful about your drink orders!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good addition to the neighborhoodravensarrowVIPDined on 7/23/2014It's been tough to find actually good food near NYU. This place is a welcome addition. Wish I could see more huitlacoche though... Service was very friendly and fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor servicewillVIPDined on 7/22/2014The food was excellent but the service was very slow. Waited over 15 minutes to order drinks. We were dining early and the restaurant was not crowded so it is hard to understand why the service was so slow.Special Features:
- DisappointedCuquetVIPDined on 7/18/2014Guacamole was not good. Not much variation of main dishes. The quality didn't meet the price. Very disappointed.
- UnremarkableJfromWVDined on 7/18/2014In planning a trip to NYC, our goal was to spend time in various Manhattan "neighborhoods." Greenwich Village was one of those. Toloache was selected for dinner based upon reviews. Although the meal was acceptable, & the upstairs window table was comfortable enough, service was terrible. The waitress was inattentive, even though at 7 PM on a Friday evening we were initially the only patrons upstairs. After being served our non-alcoholic drinks, four requests for "refills" of different waitpersons & the owner who stopped by our table had to be made during the meal. This made for a dining experience that was not what we hoped.Special Features:
- Fabuloso!!SchwaiiVIPDined on 7/11/2014We discovered Toloache by accident, and decided to give it a try. The food was interesting and delicious, the wait staff was very pleasant and helpful. The overall experience was wonderful, and we definitely plan on returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/25/2014We wanted a high-cuisine Mexican class and found Toloache through an internet search and were so pleased with this discovery. The food was amazing - fresh, flavorful, prompt, exquisite - and what we are finding to be a rarity in NYC restaurants these days - the service was attentive, friendly, and efficient and added greatly to the dining experience. Great food. Great service. Great tequila.Special Features:
- Great Food, so-so serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/24/2014The food was so good here, the guac could have been saltier though :) the service was a little slower but it worked out for the birthday group to have a long fun dinner
- Great foodMayeofDined on 6/23/2014The best mexican food in Soho. Great to watch games and get together with friends for lunch and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to the villageTrizzVIPDined on 6/21/2014Excellent food matched with a very friendly vibe. One of the better Mexican food joints in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TravelerVIPDined on 6/8/2014Nice solid fare. Nothing stood out but a good mexican staple restaurant to know if you're craving some good guacamole and such.
- Fabulous MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/7/2014This downtown branch is doing a splendid job keeping the Toloache tradition in fine form. It's real Mexican food, not ersatz Tex-Mex, with a varied and interesting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentNanoVIPDined on 6/4/2014Excellent Mexican food, probably the best in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeDefuniakVIPDined on 5/30/2014I've been to several locations in the city and can't find anything to complain about at any of them. The food is always delicious, the service is amazing and the vibe is always lively. You can't go wrong taking a group to Toloache!Special Features:
- Great food. Awesome experience.PPolleyDined on 5/27/2014After returning to NYC from my SanFrancisco home, first stop (seriously, luggage and all) was Toloache! Have been looking forward to the Triple Guacamole appie for months, the huite lacocha was even better than I remembered, and the truffle-gazed black cod was off-the-charts. I wish we had a Toloache in SF!!! (I know, ironic, right?)Special Features: