Toloache Thompson St.
205 Thompson St.
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Toloache Thompson St.
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.toloachenyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 420-0600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Chef Julian Medina
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Off-site catering is available
A word from Toloache Thompson St.
Welcome to Toloache (pronounced toh-lo-AH-tchay), chef-owner Julian Medina’s contemporary Mexican bistro located in Greenwich Village. Toloache is named after a flowering plant famed in Mexico for its use in love potions. We hope that when you dine with us you too will fall under the spell of chef Medina’s creative cooking, which incorporates seasonal and natural ingredients and more than a dozen types of chilies. Our festive, two-story space features a guacamole and ceviche bar and an exceptional tequila list, along with elegant decorative elements imported from Mexico. We're looking forward to seeing you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Toloache Thompson St. - Best Restaurants in Greenwich Village ›
Toloache Thompson St. reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (48)fit for foodies (44)good for groups (34)hot spot (20)special occasion (19)romantic (16)great for brunch (12)great for lunch (12)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (11)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (5)notable wine list (4)Show More
- Prices not worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/21/2014I had a positive experience and the food was good. My major issue is this restaurant is over priced.
- Excellent!! Outstanding!!NateDined on 11/8/2014I had regular, plain-old, delicious Margarita. My girlfriend had the pumpkin chipotle version. Both very, very good. All of the food was excellent. A couple notables: the avocado fries - these are a must-try, the creamiest fries you will ever taste; the short rib dinner was so tasty and tender, just really good. I will definitely go back to Toloache!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatAcpianoVIPDined on 11/3/2014I like the location in the theater district a little better. Food was good, but not great. I like other Mexican places in the city more. The margarita was delicious though. And I liked that it was quiet. Giving it a 3 mainly because again the food to me wasn't the greatest and the place was a little too small.Special Features:
- Kay2VIPDined on 11/2/2014We had a lovely dinner, attentive service, really good food although a tad pricey.Special Features:
- Mouth wateringsandroVIPDined on 10/31/2014Food was sensational - short rib bone marrow quesadillas are to die for. Very creative with specials too I would go back just to see what new specials they keep conjuring up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodescapVIPDined on 10/24/2014Really inventive and delicious! Not your rote Mexican food joint. Outstanding tastes and great service.Special Features:
- disorganizedRayKayDined on 10/17/2014OK food, good cocktails served at random quality. If you are lucky, and manage to talk/hear your waiter (it's seriously noisy in there), then you will most likely end with a good experience - we didn't.
- Good food, good times.Shaunna424VIPDined on 10/17/2014Between the excellent yellowtail ceviche, guac, and carne asada tacos, the tables with second-floor window views of Greenwich Village, and the decor, Toloache Thompson was well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!NYFoodieDined on 10/8/2014This place was recommended by a Mexican friend so I had to try it out - and right he was! Fantastic food!Special Features:
- Absolutely wonderful!QueensChickDined on 10/2/2014This is a definite repeat spot. The atmosphere was excellent; the drinks were great, the food delicious, and the staff extremely attentive but not overbearing to the pest level. The happy hour pricing is quite reasonable as is the overall menu pricing. A must go see!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeItalian4lifeVIPDined on 9/25/2014Food was awesome. Love this place. We ordered Pollo Toloache, Costilla and Tuetano and Torta Ahogada and we did enjoy everything but especially the Torta. Great place to hang around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant brunchSofullDined on 9/21/2014Our group spent a relaxing Sunday afternoon at Toloache, sharing dishes and enjoying the AYCD option. The French toast was outstanding as were the ceviche tacos. Dishes are petite, but soulful. Don't forget the freshly made guacamole, although the "spicy" moniker is more wishful thinking than actual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mexican foodKDnycDined on 9/19/2014From the quesadilla to the suckling pig, it was all amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great night out!CarlaDined on 9/15/2014We were six girls out in NY to have a good time, and we started at Toloache. The service was perfect, the food tasty and the drinks are made with love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is GreatMahoganyDined on 9/13/2014Had a great time. Great food - very authentic Mexican cuisine. The Guacamole & Chips is an absolute must to order. The drinks were delicious. The server gave great suggestions. Definitely would go back.Special Features:
- Excellent foodRedSharkDined on 9/13/2014The ambience and service are outstanding, food is excellent. I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeEsteban87Dined on 9/6/2014We had a bachelor/bachelorette dinner at Toloache for my brother and his fiancee's upcoming wedding and we had a great overall experience. We actually came to Toloache accidentally as I thought I had made reservations at a different restaurant but it turned out to be a lucky break. The food is modern take on real Mexican cuisine (not Tex-Mex, and confirmed by my Mexican GF) and everybody loved their dishes. I had the lechon, and it may have been the best lechon I've ever had. Portions are not huge, but they're filling enough. Drinks (everybody had margaritas) were delicious and service was friendly and attentive. They even gave us a round of shots to help us celebrate the occasion. Overall it was a great experience and I would recommend it!Special Features:
- LOVE TOLOACHE, GO AND BE HAPPYPapaHughDined on 9/6/2014I am kinda stingy with the 5 stars, but Toloache deserves every one. The food is amazing, service is super friendly but tight and professional, great space. We have never had anything here that we say "this needs a bit of ____" or "i'd change ____" So much flavor in every dish and everything is perfect.Special Features:
- SMaPPerDined on 9/5/2014Very good food, but much too loud for families for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2014Food was delicious, carefully prepared. Enjoyed variety of proteins and vegetable-based dishes also. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Toloache on ThompsonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Great food but small portions! Got the tacos and just felt there was something missing. I would go back thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Toloache on ThompsonHunterDined on 8/28/2014Another hit from Julian Medina...this is the sister restaurant to its uptown sibling and cousin to the Yuerba Buena's. Great guacamole, tacos and ceviches to start followed by delish entrees. Great cocktails, beers and wines to enjoy with your meal in a nice space with exceptional service by friendly waiters who care. For more, check out http://huntershotandhipnyc.wordpress.com/Special Features:
- great birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014The service and food were fantastic and we were not an easy group (10 including kids and picky eaters). Their margaritas are as good as you would expect, especially the one made with the double-barrel aged house tequila. We ordered an array of apps and entrees--the brisket, lobster, and steak tacos were table favorites, and not a morsel went uneaten, even the spicy kale! We were so full only about half of the table ordered dessert, but they brought out additional desserts for the two birthdays at the table, and again, everything was delicious. The pina colada cake was unique. I've been to Toloache midtown and this new location was every bit as good. The others, who were first timers, were raving that they'd definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diinner after a showyummyDined on 8/24/2014We enjoyed dinner at Toloache after going to a show near by. It was a gorgeous day, so they had the windows/doors open. They had extended the menu from restaurant week - so that is the option I picked. Great re-created Mexican food. Everything was delicious. Drinks were interesting and fun, desserts were amazing as well,- very rich.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mexican foodFoodiebutnoteffeteDined on 8/22/2014This restaurant, though part of a small chain, serves some of the best Mexican food in NYC. My significant other and I are foodies, and consider ourselves quite knowledgable in this area. The quesadilla with shrimp was like a pizzette and it was absolutely delicious. There are three types of guacamole, and all three (we ordered the sampler) were quite good. The taco carne asada was one of the best I've ever had. The service was friendly and efficient, and the atmosphere at the Thompson Street location had an enjoyable downtown vibe. The margaritas were inventive and delicious. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicer ambiance than Times SquareRichVIPDined on 8/21/2014Delicious guacamole and taco selection. Great atmosphere including the upstairs. Margaritas are small but tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican find.Johnno2704Dined on 8/19/2014Toloache is a small gem in the West Village. It does a modern take on Mexican classics and has a hot little tequila and mezcal bar as a bonus. Service is helpful and friendly. You will have a good night here.Special Features:
- Glad we got to this place.snackcrackerDined on 8/17/2014The staff are very friendly and always check back to see that you are happy with the food and service. Have dined there on 3 occasions and was accommodated with window seating requests on all occasions. Drinks are great. Have brought some very picky diners here to try this place and all of them have gone back after their first visit. Have enjoyed all of the meals, the food is delicious.Special Features:
- Eh..LittleRedDined on 8/14/2014Great ceviche, everything else was average. Note to self, don't order wine at Mexican restaurants.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week Win!OmeletteDuFromageDined on 8/13/2014Looking thru Restaurant Week menus, Toloache definitely stood out. I loved that they had a fish, meat & chicken entree. They had great selections for appetizers too. The restaurant itself is not a stereotypical Mexican spot. It has a very contemporary and relaxed ambiance with great friendly staff. The food was amazing! Every dish was well seasoned and delicious. I would definitely go again and try different dishes.Special Features:
- top notch MexicanargentVIPDined on 8/6/2014I really think its one of the top Mexican restaurants in town. Comes highly recommended from an iffy-foodie like myself.Special Features:
- Delicioso ComerlbnnycDined on 8/5/2014Chose the restaurant from listing for Restaurant Week, and from seeing good reviews. We were not disappointed as the food was delicious and we received excellent service. The pricing is comparable to other relatively expensive Mexican food restaurants, and measured up to an good, albeit expensive Mexican food dinner. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Exquisite neighborhood find!FANDXVIPDined on 8/3/2014We went during Restaurant Week knowing nothing about the place and were pleasantly surprised by how close to perfection it is. Visually it was one of the most beautiful neighborhood spots we have been to - both the bright, warm interior and the view of Thompson Street that was exactly what you expect the Village to look like on a summer night. Food was also visually beautiful but more than that, it was impeccably and creatively prepared (quinoa salad a standout - fish and steak close behind) - Everybody on the staff was friendly (not overly so), competent and extremely attentive in a very natural way - they all genuinely seemed to love what they do and proud of their food and restaurant. It was a totally wonderful experience!Special Features:
- So good, so fun... great time!live2dineoutVIPDined on 8/3/2014The service is impeccable and Luis runs a tight ship. Food is wonderful, guacamoles are luscious, and the drinks are great (especially the frozen margaritas)Special Features:
- Fabulous LunchBKOKDined on 8/1/2014It was my first time at Toloache and I am so happy that I found it thanks to Restaurant Week! The food was beautifully prepared, very authentic and delicious. The ceviche and mole were perfect. Our waiter made some wonderful suggestions and the service was impecable. I'm so glad to discover such an excellent and authentic Mexican kitchen right in my hood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 67 reviews are from the Toloache Thompson St. reviews archive.
- Way overpricedFrancescaDined on 7/25/2014The food was good, nothing to write home about. But the portins were small and it was just way too expensive for the overall quality and portions. We were a group of 6. 2 people only ordered 1 app. We had 5 drinks. Our bill was $313. I wouldn't go back just for the price.
- I Should Have Dined Here Before NowRaivenneDined on 7/25/2014Boy do I regret not trying this place sooner. The open windows facing the street on a summer Friday night was perfect. Surprisingly moderate noise levels considering the open windows and that the place was nearly packed when we left, conversation was easy. The wait staff was attentive and good with suggestions. Their Mango Margarita was perfect; enough tequila to know there's definitely some in there, but not so much as to give pause. The medium guacamole was a delightful surprise. Semi sweet with with mango, pomegranate and habenara sauce on the side giving it that perfect kick of heat. I threw the prix fixe aside, went for the seafood paella and enjoyed every single scrumptious bite. I will most certainly return here soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekSaJJDined on 7/24/2014Went to this place on Thursday for resturant week special dinner. It turned out to be the best we ever had. Food was excellent, service was great, romantic and energetic. Great dinner for $25 per person. Thanks!Special Features:
- Loved the food, Not the drinks!Steve64Dined on 7/24/2014I loved every courseI of my $38 RW dinner. Whether what I had was authentic Mexican I do not know but still the pork tacos and fish main course was tasty and interesting. My gf liked her fish tacos very much. Even our side order of rice and beans was out of the ordinary. Unfortunately, I had a real problem with the drinks. I'm not a tequila expert but I've done my research. I specifically asked for reposado or silver tequila in my drink and said I was willing to pay to make sure I got it. I was charged $15 but I'm quite sure I was given the cheap tequila. My drink had a harsh taste to it. I have found this to be the norm in many Mexican restaurants. I still highly recommend Toloache but just be careful about your drink orders!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good addition to the neighborhoodravensarrowVIPDined on 7/23/2014It's been tough to find actually good food near NYU. This place is a welcome addition. Wish I could see more huitlacoche though... Service was very friendly and fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.