251 West 50th Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.toloachenyc.com/
- Phone: 2125811818
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm Brunch 11:30am - 3:00pm Dinner: Sunday + Monday: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm Tuesday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - Midnight. (Bar open to 12:30am)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Julian Medina
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Between Broadway and 8th Avenue
- Public Transit: Take the C or E Trains to 50th St.; the 1 Train to 50th St.; and the N, R, or W Trains to 49th St.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a Quik Park public lot at 1633 Broadway, next door to the restaurant. If you show the lot attendant a validated ticket proving that you have dined at Toloache you will receive a parking rate of $15 for up to four hours. The offer is good at all times. To contact the lot with questions, please call 212-445-0011.
A word from Toloache-Midtown
Welcome to Toloache (pronounced toh-lo-AH-tchay), chef-owner Julian Medina’s contemporary Mexican bistro located in the heart of the Theater District. Toloache is named after a flowering plant famed in Mexico for its use in love potions. We hope that when you dine with us you too will fall under the spell of chef Medina’s creative cooking, which incorporates seasonal and natural ingredients and more than a dozen types of chilies. Our festive, two-story space features a guacamole and ceviche bar, a wood-burning oven, and an exceptional tequila list, along with elegant decorative elements imported from Mexico. We looking forward to seeing you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Toloache-Midtown - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Toloache-Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
422 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (197)neighborhood gem (121)great for lunch (106)hot spot (95)good for groups (93)special occasion (72)vibrant bar scene (66)great for brunch (49)romantic (45)late-night find (44)kid-friendly (27)notable wine list (12)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/27/2014As always Toloache did not disappoint. First time I had the hamachi ceviche...I highly recommend it. And the short rib tacos. So good!Special Features:
- Wonderful date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014My boyfriend and I came here before catching a show on our date night. He's been a fan for awhile; it was my first time. It happened to be their 7th anniversary and they were having a party complete with a Mariachi band. The food was absolutely fantastic: very flavorful without too much of anything. Very well balanced. The service given by Victoria was very friendly and professional. Really, the whole experience was first rate! We will DEFINITELY be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this placeDominoVIPDined on 8/25/2014Great food and service! One of my favorite restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Excellent. There was no wait and the service and food was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No hay relación calidad/precioOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014La comida no tiene nada de especial, porciones extremadamente pequeñas. El servicio regular, cuando trajeron la cena no teníamos cubiertos y no lo notaron, estaban distraídos , tuvimos que esperar un buen rato para que los trajeran.Special Features:
- Mezcalita!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Good food kind of over price (tacos) very very small. Queso fundido one of the best I've tried so far. Excellent cocktails The mezcalita is a must try, is just perfect!!! For dessert We all shared the chocoflan is delish!!! Service was just ok.. Not bad not great. Overall tasty food great drinks, I would come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Broadway awesomenessOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014We had a great meal with great service. They asked if we were going to a show and everything was timely. I had a delicious margarita made with grapefruit soda and the brisket tacos were crisp yet tender. Highly recommen!!Special Features:
- YummyWeezieVIPDined on 8/20/2014We've eaten in the UES location but never knew about theater district location. They're very conscious about getting you out in time for curtain without rushing you. Food is really good with choices outside of the usual Mexican menu items. My husband who loves "junk" Mexican enjoyed it as well. It's a little on the pricey side but worth the money. Definitely a place to go back to!Special Features:
- DeliciousLouiVIPDined on 8/20/2014I've eaten here before and the food is always great. However I notice that the guacamole is not as good as it used to be. It's now too creamy with no chunks like it used to be and the plantains were very watery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meatballDined on 8/19/2014excellent food and service excited the tastebuds went there for supper before a show and an was an excellent choice pricey but expected it in that section of manhattan and quality of food was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-rated. Poor Service.SeattleDinerDined on 8/18/2014We dined at Toloache on a Monday night after traveling all day. The food was outstanding. Our table enjoyed the guacamole trio, and the carne asada, chicken enchiladas and shrimp entrees. We found the margaritas to nothing special: small, overpriced and just average in quality. Although the food was good, we were disappointed that we had to wait 25 minutes for our table even though we had booked our table through open table. The hostess didn't take charge of the issues and the management didn't seem to care. When we did get a table we were seated upstairs where there were 3 birthday parties at large tables. We had a hard time hearing our waitress and enjoying conversation.Special Features:
- Tasty high end Mexican foodMishler77Dined on 8/17/2014Great food, good, prompt service. A little crowded for our preferences , but I suppose that's New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't eat in the theater districtOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/16/2014I've accidentally eaten at Toloache twice, both times for its proximity to the theaters and it's favorable reviews given the location. It is not terrible. I had a chef's favorite that tasted much like cafeteria food. There is so much better food in Manhattan. Next time, we'll eat in Chelsea and take a cab to the theater.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Great ambience for a first date or to meet up with friends. Lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated Food Mediocre Service GooMoboDined on 8/15/2014Lots of stars and reviews for this place online and that's why we picked it. It was very crowded, overpriced, very touristy and in general the food was very mediocre. They service was very good and very efficient but the food just didn't match the sell. I suspect they have planted many of their online reviews as this place did not match up to the rep.
- Great before theater optionBinkDined on 8/15/2014We went here before seeing a Broadway show. Very good authentic Mexican choices, lively atmosphere and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014The best guacamole, margaritas, and Mexican fare in the theater district.
- carerollDined on 8/15/2014The food was excellent! I was there for restaurant week and had their ceviche, enchiladas, and flan. Every single dish came out perfect and full of flavor. The portions were great. I was very full by the end of the meal. I would eat this whole meal again!! The noise level of the restaurant was very loud though. I was there with a friend and had to speak loudly for her to hear me.
- Wonderful LunchAmazingDined on 8/15/2014I was extremely happy with the food and service. The food order was cooked to perfection and the flan just melted in my mouth. I was in heaven. Our server (Sylvia) was extremely professional and very nice. She made wonderful suggestions and took the time to explain some items on the menu. I was very happy with the time we spent there and will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A DisappointmentB123VIPDined on 8/14/2014We have eaten many times at Toloache-Midtown. But this experience was very disappointing. The food was fair. The waitress who has served us energetically on several occasions before was less than stellar. Being seated next to the section where the plates are bussed was noisy and unappetizing. Why were we placed there when there were several other tables available? We had a long time reservation, so this was not the problem. Perhaps management is resting on their laurels! We hope this review is a wake-up call to the people who run what was once one of our favorite restaurant in the theater district area.
- Excellent service and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014Since you opened I wanted to come in and the opportunity presented itself we had a lovely time! I loved the food and ambience. I found the fried AVOCADO was delicious.Special Features:
- great food and serviceangelfire5106Dined on 8/13/2014we went during restaurant week, their restaurant menu was fantastic.. the sea bass entree and chocolate dessert was awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!pastaloverDined on 8/12/2014My daughter and I were looking for a light dinner after a show and we found Toloache. We were a little late for our reservation but were immediately seated. We were impressed with the service and the food was so good. There were some different items on the menu such as brisket tacos that were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousfromPADined on 8/12/2014We had the original guacamole, which was very good. Also the salsa they brought with the guac was exceptional. We also had the fish taco and the pork belly. Both were good. For desert, we had the desert tasting menu, which was a great way to try different options. The carrot cake was a little dry, but everything else was very good. Service was great. We had a really nice meal and had plenty of time to make a show after.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014Guacamole fruite, JM ceviche, and lobster tacos were amazing. Great sangria. Friendly staff, who made sure we made our theatre evening on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mexican FoodgrancyDined on 8/12/2014We had made a 5:00 reservation and arrived about 15 minutes early. We were seated immediately and asked what time our show started. Service was spot on. We were not rushed and felt like we had ample time to get to the show. The mild guacamole was superb. My husband likes it spicy, so it arrived with a very hot sauce on the side. I ordered the avocado fries and "flatbread" with short rib and marrow for dinner. Although very tasty, it the flatbread could have used more toppings. My husband's shrimp was excellent. We shared the chocoflan for dessert. I liked the flan, but the cake was just ok. I would definitely return.
- SurprisedginandreDined on 8/12/2014Very well done and I was surprised that such a quality restaurant was in that area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealsCAl308Dined on 8/10/2014Went for dinner during Restaurant Week. Both of us had fresh, tasty, just right amount of spiced meals. Portions were nice. Staff was friendly and efficient. We'll go back again! Only drawback was coffee maker problem, so no type of coffee available. Hope that was temporary fluke. Love my coffee with dessert.Special Features:
- Fun New York experienceVal11Dined on 8/9/2014We really enjoyed this restaurant and it's lively ambiance. Open Table made making (and modifying) the reservation very easy. It's a very lively and busy place with good food. The guacamole trio is very good, but in a Mexican restaurant when I am told something is spicy, I expect it to be spicy. This was moderate at best (still very complex and tasty though). Quelladillas were good but a bit precious in their description given the very sparse toppings (yes topping, they are not folded). As others have said, the servings are very small but that was what we wanted for a late supper. I'd recommend, but expect subtle, not bold, flavours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican restaurant everJotaDined on 8/9/2014While I miss the days when the managers were Luis and Victor, Toloache has not gone down hill at all since they moved on (I hear Luis is now at the Thompson St. location). The food is still excellent and the service could not be better -- I don't know how they do it. Even when they are VERY busy the service is terrific. The waiters are attentive, friendly and professional. I have taken friends there who say they don't really like Mexican, and they all rave about it. Fantastic place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More Food!TrustmeDined on 8/9/2014I love the food at Toloache--it's fresh, tasty, and beautifully presented. However, my dish of vegetable paella was tragically small. It was the only vegan dish on the menu. They should offer more vegan dishes and make them somewhat larger. My companion had the codfish and was satisfied, so this is just a nit.Special Features:
- OpenTableDined on 8/9/2014Great food! Great Service! Service is great they asked from the beginning if you broadway show tickets and they make sure to bring you the food fast and track your time so you are not leate for the show and also the drinks they have are delicious. Being mexican myself is hard to find a good mexican place and this place is GREAT!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We live in the area and decided it was time to check out Toloache. The restaurant is not large so the noise level is high. I don't think it would be good for a large group. The service was great and our waitress was attentive. The food is very good but the margarita was just ok, I was abit disappointed. Overall I would go back, but I think I would try lunch next time, the restaurant is right in the theatre district and most of the customers are tourists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentRonMDined on 8/7/2014We have eaten at Toloache midtown many times and have never been disappointed. It's great for dinner before a show, and even if you're not going to the theater.Special Features:
- Service, service, service…MarioDined on 8/6/2014Very good authentic mexican flavors. The service was outstanding!!! I went with a friend that have food allergies, the waiter took time to explain to her the different components of the dishes.Special Features:
- ChuckVIPDined on 8/5/2014Quick efficient pre theater dinning. The food was good the place was clean and quickly filled up.
- Not a typical rice and bean jointOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/4/2014We tried the fish tacos and beef brisket tacos and they were both well spiced and flavorful. The guacamole was outstanding, truly unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, loved itLizSmithDined on 8/4/2014I had been wanting to try Toloache, since I work a few blocks away and love Mexican food. I was very pleased with the decor, the service and the food. I will definitely be returning for an evening meal, and this time I'll try the margaritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticWatermarklovex3Dined on 8/3/2014The food was amazing, aside from the salad i loved EVERYTHING. The chefs work hard to keep it as authentic as possible all while being able to put their twist to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mexican in ManhattanJAP57VIPDined on 8/2/2014A little leery on what the food would be like given the location. Pleasantly surprised by the excellent food! Not a run of the mill Tex Mex place.Special Features: