251 West 50th Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.toloachenyc.com/
- Phone: 2125811818
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm Brunch 11:30am - 3:00pm Dinner: Sunday + Monday: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm Tuesday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - Midnight. (Bar open to 12:30am)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Julian Medina
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Between Broadway and 8th Avenue
- Public Transit: Take the C or E Trains to 50th St.; the 1 Train to 50th St.; and the N, R, or W Trains to 49th St.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a Quik Park public lot at 1633 Broadway, next door to the restaurant. If you show the lot attendant a validated ticket proving that you have dined at Toloache you will receive a parking rate of $15 for up to four hours. The offer is good at all times. To contact the lot with questions, please call 212-445-0011.
A word from Toloache-Midtown
Welcome to Toloache (pronounced toh-lo-AH-tchay), chef-owner Julian Medina’s contemporary Mexican bistro located in the heart of the Theater District. Toloache is named after a flowering plant famed in Mexico for its use in love potions. We hope that when you dine with us you too will fall under the spell of chef Medina’s creative cooking, which incorporates seasonal and natural ingredients and more than a dozen types of chilies. Our festive, two-story space features a guacamole and ceviche bar, a wood-burning oven, and an exceptional tequila list, along with elegant decorative elements imported from Mexico. We looking forward to seeing you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Toloache-Midtown - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Toloache-Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
426 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (205)neighborhood gem (127)great for lunch (104)good for groups (101)hot spot (101)vibrant bar scene (71)special occasion (69)late-night find (46)romantic (46)great for brunch (39)kid-friendly (26)notable wine list (12)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- JoeInSouthOrangeDined on 9/16/2014Don't hesitate to ask questions about the menu. Our wait staff there has always been very good and could answer whatever we asked. The food is Mexican contemporary … a re-imagined version of traditional Mexican. If you have any doubts about exactly what you are ordering, ask! They'll be glad to tell you. And if you give them clues as to what you are expecting they can steer you in the right direction. But whatever you choose, you are almost certain to find it delicious and interesting. Great for before or after a show!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Food was very good. Only complaint was the noise level. It may be quieter upstairs.Special Features:
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2014We, unfortunately, visited on Mexican Independence Day. While the food was great and the staff friendly and attentive, the Mariachi band made conversation next to impossible. We will visit again when it is quieterSpecial Features:
- Toloache MidtownJdara91Dined on 9/14/2014I went here with friends before a broadway show. The service was great, the restaurant was clean and really nice, and the staff were friendly and helpful. The drinks were delicious, and the guacamole trio appetizer was AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/14/2014The food was fair and expensive. The waiter was funny but it didn't make up gor the food. Not your normal Mexican Food
- CTtravelerDined on 9/13/2014Great service provided by Miguel, delicious margaritas and tasty food - the brussel sprouts were out of this world and we had the braised rib and tilapia tacos which were excellent. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- HowardVIPDined on 9/13/2014This just might be the best Mexican food in Manhattan. We were bowled over by it.Special Features:
- Don't miss it!foodiefanaticDined on 9/13/2014Was recommended by a friend and it did not disappoint. Fantastic variety of tapas-size appetizers and tacos made it great for sharing lots of dishes. Our waiter was extremely attentive but not over-bearing. Would absolutely go back again! The margaritas were fantastic as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your typical Mexican restaurantMariaDined on 9/13/2014No matter what we ordered, everything was fresh and the chef had his own twist to the entrée. I can say that I can never have a regular taco again! Although it was busy, the waitress did not rush us and took time to explain to us what exactly we were ordering. She allowed us ample time to decide and checked on us frequently. Drinks were pricey, but good. I loved the pommengranite margarita. The flan and churros are a must!Special Features:
- Great ServiceMelissaDined on 9/13/2014Toloache offers a nice atmosphere with great service. Our waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable on the items offered. On the brunch menu they have dried grasshopper tacos. The waiter explained the preparation of these critters and the fact that Toloache was the first restaurant to offer these in NYC. Unfortunately they were out, hence the 4 rating for food.Special Features:
- Mexico City in NYC!FoodiesDined on 9/12/2014Fantastic non TexMex food that scored on every level: flavor, innovation, presentation! Menu was fit for everyone. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative Mexican FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014delicious food and drinks. friendly, knowledgeable service.
- really great food!ricanbakerDined on 9/11/2014Everyone was happy to find great Mexican food right in midtown. Service was great too. I didnt have any but my coworkers enjoyed the drinks as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-theater CrowdrxmarilynrxVIPDined on 9/10/2014A great find in mid-town for a pre-theater dinner; fast, friendly service with excellent food choices that won't break the bank!Special Features:
- I don't want people to know!Nana2b09Dined on 9/10/2014This was recommended to me for before a show. Food, drinks service were spot on! Best margarita I've had in NYC! I don't want to give it a good review...because I'll never get a table. It's that good!Special Features:
- Always amazingElara829Dined on 9/9/2014I can always count on their being great food here, service is fantastic, and I always finish my dish it's so yummy! Drinks are also fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, overpriced.GregariousDined on 9/9/2014The food was great but overpriced. But it is in the theater district and the place was packed, so from the restaurant's perspective the prices were just right. :) Loved the tempranillo.Special Features:
- Consistently incredibleFan0food70Dined on 9/6/2014I travel from the island just for dinner and drinks. Also, great just before a show. Never had a bad dish and I've tried many. Service is great and bartenders are very knowledgable. Presentation and combinations of ingredients are not typical of what one would expect in a Mexican restaurant. If you open your palette and mind to try new things, you'll have a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid food, great locationtintoilDined on 9/6/2014Located directly next door to the Wicked Gershwin Theatre, this is a great place to go before or after your show. The food was clearly made from fresh ingredients, and I enjoyed the modern flair on classic dishes. The standout for me was the short rib entree; I'd also recommend the mojito selection.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very, very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014What a nice change of pace for the theater district. A top notch Mexican restaurant. I'm tired of those Italian restaurants in the area with pasta this or pasta that for $35 a plate. Stuff you can make at home with a .99 cent box of pasta, grilled chicken and a $3 jar of tomato sauce. The food was very good at Toloache. Service was excellent. The decor and music is perfect for a Mexican meal. For a NYC theater district restaurant, I thought the prices were reasonable and food quality was excellent. I only wish they offered the Sangria in pitchers rather than individual glasses. $10 per glass is bit overpriced for sangria. Will definitely return upon a future trip into NYC.Special Features:
- not as good as usualRegulardinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014We have been coming here for years because the staff is friendly and the food good. This time was a disappointment. My daughters steak was tough, and the guac salty. My expensive drink also seemed watered down. I have it every time and this was not as good. My lobster tacos were still good, but I will think twice before coming again. Sad.
- Neighborhood fangreateatsDined on 9/4/2014I've been living in midtown for over 20 years and for over 20 years I have walked by Toloache as if it didn't exist. Then I went in and had one of the best dining experiences I've had in the city. The food is fresh and delicious and they are willing to adjust spice level even for wimps like me. Everything I've eaten was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre biteJMcQuillenDined on 9/3/2014I love going to Toloache before the theatre. It is not only convenient, but the small plates (tacos) that they have are incredibly good and not at all overly filling before going to sit in a dark room for 2 hours. The flavor combinations are so good. And it is not over-priced for the portion size and location...you aren't being charged more just for the pleasure of being near the crowds at Times Square. The restaurant is compact, and even for just 2 people, I still like making a reservation. Sitting at the bar is also a great option.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014Very happy to find a place with great food so close to the theatre district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!MaggieVIPDined on 9/3/2014We had an early reservation and expected the place to be quiet - instead at 5:30 the downstairs was already packed! Two of us shared the guacamole, two appetizers, two side dishes and a desert. Everything was wonderful except the desert, where we chose the chocolate cake with flan and thought the cake was too dry. Otherwise the food was excellent and more than enough. The guacamole fries are very interesting and the scallop appetizer is divine - my favorite. I also highly recommend the margaritas, especially the watermelon one. The service was excellent too. I would definitely go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodMikeVIPDined on 9/3/2014This has become my standard choice for lunches with friends and business colleagues. Consistently good food and service with a reasonable check. Can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- A+ dinning experiencecdngirlDined on 8/31/2014Awesome restaurant for dinner. Great food, great service and the decor was niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itMomof3Dined on 8/31/2014Again- another fantastic meal at Toluache. We were in town for the US Open and brought a couple friends with us to dinner. They loved it !! I'll be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back For More on Day 2!PankoVIPDined on 8/31/2014This was our second visit to Toloache in two days, and we scored each time. This is creative, very fresh Mexican food...not the poor man's slop. Bold flavors are the rule. Today we shared the hamachi (yellowtail) ceviche--delicious. For the mains my wife had the spicy lobster tacos with rice and beans and I had DRIED GRASSHOPPER tacos, also with rice and beans. Very good! The taco selections here are interesting and original. Also, I had to have the de la Calle margarita again. Tequila with cucumber and lime and jalapeno salt. This drink is wonderful. Overall experience was again first-rate. I'll definitely go back on a return visit to the Theatre District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodPavoDined on 8/30/2014I've been to Mexico many times and always marveled at how good the food was as compared to the US versions of it. Toloache is a great Mexican restaurant. The food is authentic Mexican with a contemporary flare. The tortilla soup and huevos rancheros were excellent as was the tasty dessert. Great device and presentation.Special Features:
- Great Pre-Theatre DiningPankoVIPDined on 8/30/2014This was our first visit to Toloache, and we liked it so much we went back the next day. Fresh Mexican food is tough to beat. The ingredients are of high quality, the flavors are bold (plenty of heat), and the dishes are creative. They don't just plop down salsa and chips. We enjoyed a trio of excellent ceviches (crab "dip" crisps, hamachi [yellowtail] and tuna). For the mains my wife had the roast pork "brunch" sandwich with tomato sauce and I had chipotle-garlic shrimp tacos (two soft tacos) with rice and beans. All excellent. The taco selections were interesting and original. For those who like brunch that section of the menu looks compelling. Great margarita/mezcalita list. Delicious experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great guacamoleSusanneDined on 8/28/2014We eat here every trip to NY. Their guacamole is fresh and made to order. Very convenient to subway and theater and the service us impeccableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomevjgymnastDined on 8/27/2014As always Toloache did not disappoint. First time I had the hamachi ceviche...I highly recommend it. And the short rib tacos. So good!Special Features:
- Get the Brisket tacosTiffanyDined on 8/27/2014the Brisket tacos were the best food I ate while in New York.Special Features:
- Wonderful date nightNYCdinerDined on 8/26/2014My boyfriend and I came here before catching a show on our date night. He's been a fan for awhile; it was my first time. It happened to be their 7th anniversary and they were having a party complete with a Mariachi band. The food was absolutely fantastic: very flavorful without too much of anything. Very well balanced. The service given by Victoria was very friendly and professional. Really, the whole experience was first rate! We will DEFINITELY be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this placeDominoVIPDined on 8/25/2014Great food and service! One of my favorite restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Excellent. There was no wait and the service and food was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No hay relación calidad/precioMondelDined on 8/23/2014La comida no tiene nada de especial, porciones extremadamente pequeñas. El servicio regular, cuando trajeron la cena no teníamos cubiertos y no lo notaron, estaban distraídos , tuvimos que esperar un buen rato para que los trajeran.Special Features:
- Mezcalita!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Good food kind of over price (tacos) very very small. Queso fundido one of the best I've tried so far. Excellent cocktails The mezcalita is a must try, is just perfect!!! For dessert We all shared the chocoflan is delish!!! Service was just ok.. Not bad not great. Overall tasty food great drinks, I would come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience & Wonderful Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014I took a group of out-of-towners here for dinner before a play this past weekend. There were 6 of us in total, every single one of us loved our dishes and dessert was even better! Our server's name was Sylvia and she was fantastic, helpful, and super-patient with our rowdy crew, many of whom weren't familiar with the cuisine and menu items. The entire staff was warm, welcoming, and wonderful!Special Features: