251 West 50th Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.toloachenyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 581-1818
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm Brunch 11:30am - 3:00pm Dinner: Sunday + Monday: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm Tuesday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - Midnight. (Bar open to 12:30am)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Julian Medina
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Between Broadway and 8th Avenue
- Public Transit: Take the C or E Trains to 50th St.; the 1 Train to 50th St.; and the N, R, or W Trains to 49th St.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a Quik Park public lot at 1633 Broadway, next door to the restaurant. If you show the lot attendant a validated ticket proving that you have dined at Toloache you will receive a parking rate of $15 for up to four hours. The offer is good at all times. To contact the lot with questions, please call 212-445-0011.
A word from Toloache-Midtown
Welcome to Toloache (pronounced toh-lo-AH-tchay), chef-owner Julian Medina’s contemporary Mexican bistro located in the heart of the Theater District. Toloache is named after a flowering plant famed in Mexico for its use in love potions. We hope that when you dine with us you too will fall under the spell of chef Medina’s creative cooking, which incorporates seasonal and natural ingredients and more than a dozen types of chilies. Our festive, two-story space features a guacamole and ceviche bar, a wood-burning oven, and an exceptional tequila list, along with elegant decorative elements imported from Mexico. We looking forward to seeing you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Toloache-Midtown - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Toloache-Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
366 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (203)neighborhood gem (130)good for groups (89)hot spot (77)great for lunch (75)vibrant bar scene (68)special occasion (66)late-night find (36)romantic (34)great for brunch (20)kid-friendly (18)notable wine list (9)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- NICE ATMOSPHERE, NY FRIENDOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/29/2009NICE ATMOSPHERE, NY FRIEND AND I ORDERED THE SALADS AND THE CHICKEN IN HER SALAD WAS LUKE WARM- NOT ENTIRELY HOT- BUT OTHERWISE STILL ENJOYABLE. THE AVOCADO FRIES WERE INTERESTING, BUT I THINK AVOCADO IS BEST SERVED COLD- SO I WOULD NOT EAT THESE AGAIN. THE SANGRIA WAS GREAT, I WOULD GO BACK JUST FOR THE DRINKS AND ALSO TO TRY THEIR TACOS. OUR WAITER WAS GREAT AND VERY ATTENTIVE.
- We enjoyed a terrific pre-theatreMVClammerVIPDined on 1/29/2009We enjoyed a terrific pre-theatre meal. Service was great; food excellent.Special Features:
- Food was good - not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/28/2009Food was good - not great. Service hovered to the point where we felt that they wanted us to rush and leave.
- VERY GOOD FOOD. WAITERS WEREMichaelaMichelleDined on 1/27/2009VERY GOOD FOOD. WAITERS WERE GOOD. FRONT OF THE HOUSE STAFF WAS REALLY UNPROFESSIONAL. THE HOSTESS WAS HORRIFIC. THE BEST MANGO MOJITO I HAVE EVER TASTED.Special Features:
- What a fantastic find! I wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/26/2009What a fantastic find! I was initially hesitant about a Mexican restaurant in the Times Square/Midtown area, but found Toloache to be a GREAT dining experience. Everything we ordered was well-prepared, tasty, and appropriately portioned. Be sure not to miss the Talapia Tacos or the Tuna Ceviche (or the original margarita!). A friend of mine also visited recently and both she and her guest enjoyed Toloache as well. One of the few theatre district restaurants I'd make a point to return to. Hint: if it's cold outside, ask to sit upstairs.Special Features:
- We went to Toloache for brunchClydeVIPDined on 1/25/2009We went to Toloache for brunch before a matinee. Good food in a non-touristy atmosphere can be hard to find in the theater district. Toloache was so convenient to the theater and the food was really delicious. Service was warm and friendly. The bartender makes an AWESOME bloody mary and the rojo spicy guacamole is delish.Special Features:
- Our food was really, reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/24/2009Our food was really, really good, and the mango mojito was fantastic! Dishes were well seasoned. The servers were very friendly and knowledgeable. The wide selection of tacos was great. Our only complaints are that there was only one bathroom upstairs, which made the wait very long sometimes; and occasionally the servers all disappeared. However, the incredible food more than makes up for the 2 minor misses.
- Great service, reasonable...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/24/2009Great service, reasonable... very attentive staff. Dessert and appetizer was the best. Would go again.Special Features:
- I booked a party for 3 forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/23/2009I booked a party for 3 for Restaurant Week. I was very impressed with the RW menu. There were terrific choices - it did not feel dumbed down like some other spots I've tried. We enjoyed the food so much we ordered even more off the regular menu and will definitely be back. Everything was absolutely delicious. I highly recommend Toloache.Special Features:
- I really enjoyed everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/23/2009I really enjoyed everything about Toloache. The menu included a lot of interesting options. I tried the Carnitas de Lechon and it was fantastic. The pork was moist and flavorful. I really like the chicharron that topped the dish. Everything we ate was well seasoned and exceeded my expectations. The services was friendly and attentive. It's a great option in midtown and matches some of the best Mexican in the city.Special Features:
- The food was awesome. TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/22/2009The food was awesome. They had interesting combinations (ie. the fruit guacamole) that made the eating experience a bit different but great. Also every meal was incredibly fresh and yummy. Beyond the food the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. This was a great experience.Special Features:
- We thought Toloache's menuOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/22/2009We thought Toloache's menu was creative, great presentaion and very tasty. The guacomole was prepared differently from any I have ever tried and the Tortilla soup was delicious and the Sangria spot on. The sevice was excellent, very attentive. The only negative which I found strange was that they did not have reservations available when I called but the place was empty. They also tend to sit everyone close together although there are plenty of available tables. That was only a minor issue and would not prevent me from going back, I definitely will.Special Features:
- This was a great pre theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/20/2009This was a great pre theater restaurant. I took my 10 year old daughter and we had a great time. The service was warm and friendly (and authentic Mexican which added to the overall experience). The food was delicious (the freshly made corn tortillas were fantastic) and really fresh authentic Mexican. The serving sizes were great for sharing. The churros for dessert were a real treat! We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Think tex-mex fusion. TitlesOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/10/2009Think tex-mex fusion. Titles are the same, but the chef is very creative. guacamole trio was inventive (who woulda thought pomegranite seeds in a sweet avocado mix would be great?). I had pre-theatre menu for $34 which was fine, but not cheaper than a la carte. Kitchen was very fast anyway. Drinks very good as well. Would definitely go back and recommend.Special Features:
- We were pleasantly surprised2dognightVIPDined on 1/9/2009We were pleasantly surprised at the nice ambiance that I feel is hard to find in the theater district. It didn't feel touristy or rushed. Service was great and the two people who live in Manhattan who hadn't been there before said that they would definitely go back. Our server was great and the food was interesting and delicious.Special Features:
- Our lunch was very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/7/2009Our lunch was very enjoyable and the food was very innovative.. Chile Relleno was exceptional.Special Features:
- Notable tequilla list. ReallyfoodmavenVIPDined on 1/3/2009Notable tequilla list. Really interesting and diverse menu for Mexican cuisine. The service was excellent and the staff knowledgable. The menu afforded you the opportunity to pick and choose, and either have several small plates or a main course. The Mexican coffee was outstanding, as was everthing else. We will definitely be going back to this wonderful restaurant and trying their sister restaurant.Special Features:
- My husband and I have eatenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/2/2009My husband and I have eaten here numerous times, and we have never been disappointed. This time we went with friends, and they also loved the experience. Our waiter, Victor, is amazing and his passion for the food, and his job, is evident. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- i place the meal i had atOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/2/2009i place the meal i had at toloache in my top ten finest meals ever. amazingly delicious and consistent throughout, each course, from the chips and salsa to the mexican chocolate cake, was a head shaking "oh my god" experience. be sure to try the toloache margarita. service was outstanding and we never had an empty glass.
- Excellent food & service butOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/2/2009Excellent food & service but the prices are too high!Special Features:
- Great location near the theaterWoodstockDined on 1/2/2009Great location near the theater district, without theater crowds. Excellent selection of tequilas and small plates.Special Features:
- We thought the food and servicePennsylvaniaDined on 1/1/2009We thought the food and service were great and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- it was okay for theater districtdebbDined on 12/30/2008it was okay for theater district mexican. margaritas were good.
- Toloache offers what it callsjrghistoryVIPDined on 12/29/2008Toloache offers what it calls upscale Mexican food, which means there are no bargains here. The food is very good, blending ingredients and flavors in interesting combinations. Still, as someone who grew up in LA eating Mexican food with Mexican clientele, there's something funny about spending so much for a couple of tacos and some guacamole. To be fair, I didn't try the more exotic entries, and I enjoyed what I had.Special Features:
- Special menu for ChanukahOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/26/2008Special menu for Chanukah was very enjoyable. Especially the Mexican "latkes".
- The food is good Mexican food,CookieVIPDined on 12/18/2008The food is good Mexican food, well-prepared but over-priced. Appetizers are far too expensive, in proportion to the entrees and compared with other similar restaurants.Special Features:
- Delicious soft shell seafoodBuckleDined on 12/17/2008Delicious soft shell seafood tacos and a must-try prickly pear margaritaSpecial Features:
- Meal wasn't bad, but portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/16/2008Meal wasn't bad, but portions were just so tiny. We should've ordered multiple quesadillas and tacos for the whole table. Two soft tacos (the smallest I've ever seen) were $12. I heard that they have $1 tacos at lunch... that is definitely the way to go. Portions are just tiny... otherwise food and margaritas are delish.Special Features:
- Tolache is right in the northCharlieSigVIPDined on 12/15/2008Tolache is right in the north part of the theatre district and well worth a pre-theatre visit. The food is very good, especially the slightly spicy mole sauce. The avocado fries, which I've never seen anywhere else, are a treat -- sliced avocado delicately breaded with panko breadcrumbs and deep fried to perfection.Special Features:
- We've been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/10/2008We've been to this restaurant three times now and on each occasion felt that the food and cuisine have been very good and quite varied.Special Features:
- While the food was quite good,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/9/2008While the food was quite good, the decor was disappointing. The worst element were the large lanterns that shown very brightly on the 2nd level seating area. Squinting throughout the meal made for a less than optimal experience.
- Very respectable food, thoughngmuipaiVIPDined on 12/9/2008Very respectable food, though a little conservative with the chiles and liberal with the fruit. Great list of tequilas and excellent margaritas.
- Food was great. We sat upstairsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/8/2008Food was great. We sat upstairs and it was a little too warm. Other than that though, was very nice. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Once we got past the unforgivableOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/6/2008Once we got past the unforgivable front desk treatment in refusing to give us a decent table for 2 in a nearly empty restaurant (including the upstairs, which they said was filling with large parties but then turned out to be all tables for 2), the service and food were very good.
- Guacamole is fantastic. ShortOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/5/2008Guacamole is fantastic. Short ribs are very good. Carnitas are really awfulSpecial Features:
- An excellent choice for aOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/29/2008An excellent choice for a pre-matinee brunch/lunch. The food is Mexican. A lighter touch and lovely presentation make it special.Special Features:
- A real nice place to eat at.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/22/2008A real nice place to eat at. Went there for my wife's birthday. The wait staff was excellent and the food was excellent. I would definitely recommend thsi place.Special Features:
- We've enjoyed dinner and brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/22/2008We've enjoyed dinner and brunch here. Food is fresh and different than the average Mexican fare. A definite find in the theatre district, where we are mostly disappointed with the choices.Special Features:
- charming place, server veryFelicestevVIPDined on 11/17/2008charming place, server very helpful, a pretty place, a cut above many mexican restaurants
- This place is way too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2008This place is way too expensive for what they offer. My bill came to 128 w/ tip and tax for two people. There are many better resteraunts to be had for this price. For 128 I would have expected a better decor and some quality in the surroundings. I felt like I was at chili's.