251 West 50th Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.toloachenyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 581-1818
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm Brunch 11:30am - 3:00pm Dinner: Sunday + Monday: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm Tuesday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - Midnight. (Bar open to 12:30am)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Julian Medina
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Between Broadway and 8th Avenue
- Public Transit: Take the C or E Trains to 50th St.; the 1 Train to 50th St.; and the N, R, or W Trains to 49th St.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a Quik Park public lot at 1633 Broadway, next door to the restaurant. If you show the lot attendant a validated ticket proving that you have dined at Toloache you will receive a parking rate of $15 for up to four hours. The offer is good at all times. To contact the lot with questions, please call 212-445-0011.
A word from Toloache-Midtown
Welcome to Toloache (pronounced toh-lo-AH-tchay), chef-owner Julian Medina’s contemporary Mexican bistro located in the heart of the Theater District. Toloache is named after a flowering plant famed in Mexico for its use in love potions. We hope that when you dine with us you too will fall under the spell of chef Medina’s creative cooking, which incorporates seasonal and natural ingredients and more than a dozen types of chilies. Our festive, two-story space features a guacamole and ceviche bar, a wood-burning oven, and an exceptional tequila list, along with elegant decorative elements imported from Mexico. We looking forward to seeing you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Toloache-Midtown - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Toloache-Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
366 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (204)neighborhood gem (127)good for groups (84)hot spot (79)great for lunch (77)vibrant bar scene (65)special occasion (61)romantic (34)late-night find (34)great for brunch (20)kid-friendly (19)notable wine list (10)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- too crampedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/18/2014take away a few tables upstairs, you can hardly move Request a table downstairs, slightly less crampedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPaisleyGirlDined on 11/16/2014I booked this restaurant on a recommendation from a friend and was very disappointed. Despite booking well in advance and the place being half empty we were seated at a table next to the kitchen and the server area so we're constantly being bumped and subjected to the talking of the wait staff. We were not offered second drinks and it seemed like we were an inconvenience to the waitress. The food was good but I was too annoyed by the disapointed experience to enjoy it. Maybe the restaurant just doesn't like tourists.
- Long wait...DisEGVKDined on 11/15/2014We waited 45 minutes for our table .. Food was Ok .. We have been there many times before but this time overall the food was disappointing ! If you are hungry don't go there on a Saturday night ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentcaligirlpa66Dined on 11/15/2014Six of us had a late lunch, early dinner and all six of us enjoyed everything we ordered! I would definitely go back to Toloache the next time I'm in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy, but great food/drinks!kdawgDined on 11/14/2014Our experience was good as far as food/drinks go. We went on a Friday night and had a great time. The two of us ordered tacos and shared a side order of rice and beans since the portions for those are sharable. The margaritas were just what I needed. We got their early thinking we would have a drink at the bar. Scratch that! Bar was overly crowded and really small. They actually took us 15 minutes early for our reservation. The worst part of the night was their front door. Every time someone opened the door a really cold breeze came inside. We were no where near the door and felt it. It got to be a bit uncomfortable and they didn't seem to care to fix the problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great stop before WickedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2014restaurant is next to Gershwin and turned into an excellent choice for dinner before the show everything was delicious but definitely start with guacamole trio at the startSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommendation paid off!MariaeatsDined on 11/8/2014A New York native recommended this restaurant to us for a special night out whilst visiting New York. Location perfect for us, food very good and service attentive, a very enjoyable authentic Mexican meal. Would definitely revisit next time I visit Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious109EDined on 11/8/2014My favorite restaurant to eat at when on vacation in Manhattan. I have been able to dine at Toloache 3 times this year and was so happy I did each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!ksc3Dined on 11/8/2014Our meal at Toloache was amazing! And our server was great as well. I will say though, as we were seated upstairs- it was uncomfortably hot, and we were literally seated so close to a couple next to us, it was almost awkward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisyBen75Dined on 11/7/2014Good food but too much noise and unprofessional serviceSpecial Features:
- Simply perfect!!!Fxj2205Dined on 11/7/2014I have to say this is a busy venue, but the staff and the food was absolutely perfect. They made it a very special evening for me as my girlfriend on her birthday. The staff deserve every penny (sorry dollar) of the tip..... Hope to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceChristinaDined on 11/7/2014everything was perfect; thank you. Was happy to see that reservations were honored in a timely manner. Food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Mexican foods and drinksshunshunDined on 11/6/2014It's near my office and I like guacamole and chips. Margarita is good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014exceptional Mexican food (awesome guac!) - excellent service, and very accommodating of people who have theater tickets. Great atmosphere - will return when I don't have a theater ticket and can stay longer! Highly recommended if you love really good Mexican food!Special Features:
- Delicioso!MelissaDined on 11/2/2014We dined here for the third time and will keep going back. We went for brunch. Excellent guacamole, friendly service and the best brussels sprouts!Special Features:
- Great experiencePortugueseinNYDined on 11/1/2014We enjoyed so much we went there twice in the same week! High quality list with genuine Mexican food. Guacamoles in a family size,no need to ask for more than one for two persons. Great bar!Special Features:
- Outstanding MexicanBerwinVIPDined on 11/1/2014This is not your inexpensive ordinary enchilada restaurant. The menu is varied with many special unique dishes. What we had was very tasteful and beautifully plated.The restaurant can be crowded and noisy, part of the Mexican atmosphere. One downside is that the drinks are on the expensive side. We will go back. Will just avoid the $13 margarita which was too sweet for my taste and opt for the $6 Corona.Special Features:
- Spacious and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014If you're looking for a spacious place to eat close to the theater district, this is it. Delicious Mexican food--not the "American style" Mexican. Clean, fresh flavors with reasonable portion sizes are accented with a tasty selection of margaritas. Try the guacamole sampler. For those who like real Mexican...and those who think they don't like Mexican. Great wait staff who knows the menu and makes recommendations. Not a tourist trap..real food for real people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GuyfromLIGuyfromLIDined on 10/31/2014Excellent Food, small portions (for example the Guacamole for the table - great for 2, not for 5). AuthenticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciosoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/31/2014The food at Toloache is outstanding. They always have specialized menus for holidays-and not just Spanish themed holidays. This past Friday was A Dia de Los Muertos Theme. But in the past they've had Rosh Hashanah & Passover for example. The food is always spot on. The drinks are perfection. Just a great great place. The mood was festive for Halloween with the servers wearing costumes. I just wish service was a little more attentive.Special Features:
- Good vegetarian menuRhnycDined on 10/30/2014Really good Mexican food in a great ambiance. Noise level is pretty highSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-Theater DinnerNiceDined on 10/30/2014So close to the Gershwin, was a great choice before seeing Wicked. Interesting menu with fun, seasonal choices. Great guacamole selection. Drinks were a little small, as were the entree proportions. Service was good. Friendly wait staff. Great vibe, aesthetically pleasing decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Toloache is the best Mexican restaurant I ever been! Great service, super delicious food, you must go and try the real Mexican flavor :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who Knew?OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014We were completely surprised by the creativity of ingredients in the menu. Even the frozen Margarita drinks offered interesting options. The wait staff were very nice and the food was very tasty. We had selected it because of its close proximity to the Gershwin Theater. We had not expected that it would be such a dining treat.Special Features:
- terrific Food in theater districtmsmouseDined on 10/25/2014We had a post theater dinner here and it did not disappoint. The service is excellent, food delicious if not on the pricey side but worth it. It has extensive wine list and tequilla with some wonderful cocktails. IT's mostly small plates but the entrees are generous. The paella terrific, tacos, i had the langoustine salad with kale which was delicious. Make a reservation no matter what time you go; we ate at 5 and by 6 there was a long wait.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014I've been to this restaurant a couple of times and the last time I was very disappointed. I've had the steak and it was tasteless. Small portion and for the price was high. Wouldnt recommend anymore.Special Features:
- Great pre theater placeUnclbarVIPDined on 10/22/2014Gosh, do these folks have quick service down! The food is terrific and there are no questions about getting to the theater timely. But don't expect to have a meaningful conversation--it's pretty hard to hear a companion with the huge crowd of primarily young people around the bar. Fun place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great serviceFoodiefrom2coastsDined on 10/19/2014We met some family members who we hadn't seen for awhile, so we were doing a lot of talking and catching up. Our waitress came over many times to check on us to see if we were ready to order. She was very understanding and we never felt rushed. When we were ready to order, she appeared! The guacamole was DELICIOUS! (We ordered the Trio of Guacamole.) Food came out quickly. Great location - we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/19/2014Food is delicious but $12 and up for two small tacos seems excessive.
- Good ambiancegigigoodDined on 10/18/2014The ambiance was good, but the food was mediocre. The servers were romps and polite and helpful. We had a group of four persons, and each ordered a different entree. None of them, including two specials of the day, was very good. Only the guacamole and the complimentary appetizers were worth a repeat visit.Special Features:
- Theater DiningshowspoonsDined on 10/18/2014I love Toloache! Every time I come into the city for a show, I make sure to have luck at Toloache! If I'm coming with a different friend, I recommend Toloache and it never disappoints! The food is fabulous and just the perfect amount, I'm never so full that I'm miserable while sitting through the show! The combinations of favors and the visual presentation are perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunte Choicecah251VIPDined on 10/16/2014Five of us were meeting pre-theater hoping for an enjoyable meal. The noise level was so high no one could hear themselves think. It was also so hot in the restaurant, no one could even breath and nothing was done to make it more comfortable even after many requests. Nothing special about the food. Word to the wise... choose another dining venue.
- Disorganized but tastyGFfoodieDined on 10/14/2014Despite my open table reservation for 6:30 (with confirmation #) the hostesses could not find my reservation and ushered us to the very jammed bar to wait, where they assured us they would find us when a table opened up. Roughly an hour later we asked why we had still not been seated and they searched again for the reservation, only to find that indeed we were supposed to be seated at 6:30. Fortunately the food was good and our waiter was very knowledgeable and accommodating to our party's gluten-free and onion-free requests. The menu is marked with gluten-free and vegetarian symbols, which is also a help. Note that a basic margarita costs $15 and the food is pricey, too, but (sadly) it is still one of the better options in this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperienceCatSamDined on 10/13/2014We loved this restaurant so much we had to go back a second time! The margaritas were amazing, guacamole was some of the best I've ever had and food was delicious. Others had commented on the guacamole being a small portion but we felt it was a very generous serving. The salsa has a smoky taste that was surprising at first but quickly became our new favorite. The service was amazing and very attentive. My friend didn't care for her chicken quesadilla (had a sweet taste that was unexpected). The server noticed she hadn't eaten much of it and asked if it was ok. She told her it was fine, just not to her liking. We fully expected to pay for the dish but they had taken it off our check. Very classy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and vibrant flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/13/2014Lighter and brighter than traditional Mexican food in a beautiful and upscale setting. Portions are adequate but not generous. Definitely worth visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foddMACGDined on 10/12/2014I'm Mexican and Toloache is really "Haute Mexican Cousine".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceKtodineDined on 10/12/2014We had dinner at Toloache on a Sunday night. The place was very busy due to the proximity of Times Square. We had reservations so no problem getting a table. Having a love for Mexican food, I have to say this place did not disappoint. The quality and flavors were fantastic but I do think the portion sizes could be a little better especially for the price point. Our server, Alex, was outstanding! I would not hesitate to go back just to have those fish tacos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014We were in NY from Dallas with our granddaughter with tickets to see Cinderella. We chose this restaurant because of its proximity to the Broadway Theater and the good reviews. We arrived at 5:35 for a 5:45 reservation and were seated within minutes. The service was great and we were able to enjoy a wonderful leisurely early dinner. Their margarita's were excellent and we know margaritas. This was perfect for pre-theater, but I think it would be a great place to dine any time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDianeDined on 10/11/2014I've dined here many times and have always been pleased. It's a great place with great food and service.
- Always a winnerMoochieVIPDined on 10/10/2014This is the second time our group dined at Toloache and we enjoyed it as much as the first time. Good drinks, friendly waitstaff, and great food make for a fine dining experience. It's location is ideal for pre-theater dinners and the hostess made sure she knew our curtain time when seating us.Special Features: