Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse
199 Boylston Street
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467Neighborhood:
HibachiPrice: $30 and under
Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tokyonewton.com/
- Phone: 6172439090x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm. 15% discount for college students, Free hibachi birthday dinner, minimum party of 2 and up, ID required, discounts can not be combined with any other offer.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Shabu-shabu, Hibachi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout
- Special Events: Free Birthday Dinner on Teppanyaki Table with Two or More Parties. ID Required.
College Students 15% OFF. ID required.
A word from Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse
We serve deliciously fresh Japanese cuisine and drinks. Our team provides quality service, and we look forward to welcoming you. We hope to greet you and friends or family, at Tokyo Japanese Steak House Restaurant located in Newton, Massachusetts.Continued
Please let us know if you would like an Hibachi or Shabu dinner.
Please let us know if you would like an Hibachi or Shabu dinner.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Chestnut Hill ›
Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (25)kid-friendly (20)special occasion (10)fit for foodies (5)great for lunch (5)neighborhood gem (3)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014We went for the shabu. The food was excellent and they had a large variety of choices. The service however was awful. We asked the waitress a few questions on the menu and she didn't know. She was in a rush and didn't even attempt to find out a answer. Once we ordered we waited a very long time for the food. We got our appetizer after the main meal came out. We were never offered refills on drink or checking in on.Special Features:
- perfect!HonestyBestPolicyDined on 9/6/2014reasonably priced and delicious asian cuisine. great for low-key and casual dining with family or friends. located on the second floor of the chestnut hill mall and tucked away for privacy. entertaining hibachi grill!Special Features:
- slow serviceLocalDined on 9/1/2014Hot Pot was good, but not as good as Shabu Zen. However, the service was very slow and there was almost no communication with the servers. Unless their attitude improves, we will not be eating there again.
- So-SoOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/31/2014The food was good but the service was horrible. We had a 7:30 reservation but were not seated until just before 8pm. There was only 2 waitresses and 3 chefs for 10 hibachi tables.
- DissapointingBL38Dined on 8/31/2014We had been looking forward to trying Tokyo since it opened recently. We went there to celebrate a family birthday and left extremely dissapointed. The restaurant appeared to be understaffed (the manger was bussing tables) and our server was not only in attentive but rude. Since they automatically add the tip to the bill, there is not much incentive for them to provide good service.Special Features:
- BostonRobDined on 8/30/2014Great fresh food and an entertaining dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried New RestaurantLocaltoBostonVIPDined on 8/29/2014I've been wanting to get to this restaurant for awhile. I've done some take out food. The food was good, the restaurant nice, but I wish the woman who stands behind the front desk was a little warmer. It seemed that everything we said rubbed her the wrong way. I've noticed this before when picking up my food or placing an order. She needs a little customer service training. Otherwise, I'd go back there again. Food was good, fresh and our server was nice.Special Features:
- Shabu shabuLuv2exploreDined on 8/28/2014This was our first time at this restaurant. We enjoyed shabu shabu and ordered kimchi and regular soup base with beef or surf and turf. The service was excellent and the server was helpful making recommendations and addressing our questions. The food was delightful and we had a great evening. We plan to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent dining experiencepaulfrombrooklineDined on 8/16/2014pleasant and very helpful waitstaff, unusual menu, high-quality ingredients. fun to prepare shabu-shabu at table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Night OutSteakLoverDined on 7/17/2014Scorpion bowl, mai tai, filet and seafood cooked in front of you, eating with friends, doesn't get better than that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More like Chinese Hot PotAndreiaVIPDined on 7/12/2014They call it Japanese Shabu Shabu, but all the sides and even majority of the soup bases were Chinese ingredients or flavors. It was pretty good and reminded me of the hot pots we get in Hong Kong, but pricey. We did a split of Szechuan and Miso. Would have loved to seen whole fish available for hot pot, where the filets are on the side and fish carcass goes into the broth. My only complaint is that they have a side order of exotic mushrooms, but what we got was handful of enoki, few slices of king oyster and a bunch of white regular button mushrooms. I don't consider button mushrooms exotic. Homemade fish paste and chicken and vegetable dumplings were really good though.Special Features:
- Not what I expected......DrTrinaDined on 7/3/2014Well, they didn't get our order correct. When I told the server, they wanted to know if I wanted my food cooked in the back and the reason we came to this restaurant was so the food could be cooked in front of us. ????? Then it wasn't favored or had any taste to it what so ever.... not the greatest experience.....
- Fun place for kidsKL1111VIPDined on 7/1/2014This was an entertaining place to take the kids for dinner because they prep the food in front of you. The down side is that the cooking surface gives off a ton of heat so it was incredibly warm. The food was fine but nothing to write home about. This is clearly a place to go for entertainment and not for the outstanding food. The service was good and the chef was engaging.Special Features:
- Good but noisynonameDined on 6/17/2014Food moderately good but show is fun. Interesting to go once, but we would not return unless to take grandchildren. Show is fun but very difficult to talk with friends because of table arrangement and noise level.Special Features:
- Will ReturnUMparentVIPDined on 6/15/2014This was our first time at this new restaurant. I do feel it is the best compared to other similar hibachi restaurants. The soup was okay, the salad had a nice dressing. Both dipping sauces were very good. I won't return to a similar place in Brookline as one of their sauces is awful. My spouse loves hibachi and that is why we went for Father's Day. Although the food was tasty, my steak was not cooked as requested, and I am not thrilled with the amounts of margarine that is used.However, I would certainly choose this restaurant for hibachi cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014It is noisy because of the type of restaurant. I will been several times and I enjoy this type of food - hibachi style. Our dining companions did not like that food was delivered at inconsistent times. The beef was finished before the chicken was grilled.Special Features:
- Service was terribleNKTrinhDined on 6/13/2014We ordered hot pot, it took them more than 20 minutes to bring the food. The waitress did not come back to check if we need anything till another 20 minutes later. We waited for 20 minutes to ask for stuff. Then she was disappeared again. The broth was almost empty. I've to many hit pot places, but this was the first time that I experience this bad service. It's a hot pot place and you let the broth ran out, almost burn. I am not mad at the waitress, I blame the owner who is too cheap to hire not enough people for such a big restaurant. Restaurent has to have a good food and good customer service, but they are lack of them.Special Features:
- Shabu ShabuSteakLoverDined on 6/7/2014I had a very enjoyable family dinner. We are all big fans of Shabu Shabu and regular patrons of Shabu zen in Brighton. Tokyo steakhouse is similar but more pricey. The food and service was very good. I will return to try their hibachi grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014We had a great time there. It is the best restaurant in Boston for experiencing oriental food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs improvementcrazyfoodieDined on 5/24/2014At times, the staff was too attentive (they didn't even wait for us to sit down before asking us to order drinks) and other times when we wanted them to explain the shabu and how best to order, they were dismissive and offered no commentary. This is my second time there. I had hibatchi last time and the staff were not prepared to answer questions about certain food ingredients (one friend is on a gluten-free diet). The place is farely new so I hope they are just working out the kinks.Special Features:
- The following 0 reviews are from the Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse reviews archive.