Toku Modern Asian
2014c Northern Blvd
Manhasset, NY 11030Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Toku Modern Asian
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tokumodernasian.com/
- Phone: 5166278658
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Tomoyuki Kobayashi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Toku would like to help you with your next special event, at either your house or special venue. Whether you’re considering a chef’s tasting menu for a party of 12 in your dining room, a unique gala for 150 in your desired venue, or planning a fundraiser for 500 in an outdoor tent, Toku is ready to fulfill your catering requests. No party is too big or too small. Our full service off-premise catering department, offers complete party planning expertise; providing chefs & kitchen staff, trained servers, & bartenders. We will be happy to assist in creating a custom menu based on your needs.
- Private Party Facilities: Are you looking to entertain a large group in Toku’s Private Dining Room? Whether you’re considering a corporate gathering for 30 with a presentation and dinner, a special sit down dinner celebration for 50 or a cocktail party for 100, Toku’s private dining area is the perfect place to entertain your guests. Our spacious restaurant is well-suited for all kinds of parties and corporate events. Our entire facility provides room for up to 150 who wish to enjoy a sit-down function and up to 250 for cocktails. Larger outdoor cocktail parties can be done with the additional cost of a tent.
- Private Party Contact: Cliff Dragonetti 5166278658
A word from Toku Modern Asian
Toku’s cuisine is predominantly Japanese with influences from China, South Korea, Thailand and South East Asia. Ingredients and cooking techniques throughout the world create the Modern Asian menu. Owners Gillis and George have dined national and international and have come across a variety of dishes that have really impressed them, “the best of the best.” According to Gillis, “We put together our favorites and added our own unique twists to them.” George emphasizes the menu’s ease and variety. “It’s a straightforward, casually written menu which allows you to dine any way that you’d like.” Guests may enjoy traditional meals with an appetizer, entree and dessert, or dine exclusively on sushi. Others can order cocktails and a table full of appetizers and skewers to share. “The menu is set up for sharing,” he confirms. Anything goes when ordering at Toku.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Toku Modern Asian - Best Restaurants in Manhasset ›
Toku Modern Asian reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (51)special occasion (50)neighborhood gem (45)hot spot (44)good for groups (39)great for lunch (38)vibrant bar scene (37)great for outdoor dining (33)romantic (23)kid-friendly (18)great for brunch (14)notable wine list (12)late-night find (9)scenic view (3)Show More
- Uniformly ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 9/13/2014Since its founding Toku has been an excellent restaurant in all aspects. The food is always very good, well presented, and professionally served. Cocktail preparation is on the same level. The staff is welcoming, efficient, and gracious.Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 9/10/2014Great restaurant, but remember to tell the waiter to space your food & to not bring too many items at once. You have to say you're not in a hurry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Asian gemFoodie101VIPDined on 9/9/2014Went for my birthday lunch Great preparation Large portions Reasonable pricingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love love love TokuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014The food is always fresh, always delicious, no matter what is chosen! My family and friends all agree, hands down! It is definitely a number 1 choice when I have guests over.Special Features:
- Favorite spot on Long IslandOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/27/2014Sea bass is amazing, but so is everything on the menu. The fish is fresh and the meat is perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always,wmw322VIPDined on 8/18/2014Toku is the place to enjoy lunch. We ordered a few small plates and as usual, no disappointment. Lobster taco, spicy tuna tartar, shrimp dumplings & vegetable dumplings each fresh, well prepared and the perfect lunch.Special Features:
- UnhappyStayAwayVIPDined on 8/17/2014What I was unhappy about was the fact that although my daughters and I were there that the people manning the front entranceway failed, again, to check us in. This has happened before and must be fixed.Special Features:
- Need to Retrain Waitstaffsrk49VIPDined on 8/14/2014Went for lunch, mid week. My lobster salad was fantastic, filled with lots of lobster to warrant the $29 price. The tofu salad on the other hand was not good. Bland, gray dish. After we asked the waiter for tap water he walked away and very loudly started speaking Spanish to the busboy to bring water to the 'mucho grande' woman, who by the way was 8 months pregnant. I asked him Como se dice very big woman.Next thing you know,he sent over another waiter to wait on us. Toku needs to instruct the staff NOT to speak Spanish to each other, in front of the diners. Not good at all. It didn't help at all that the unprofessional waiter ogled the young women as they walked by (we sat outside), not a surprise at all.........
- Never fails to pleaseMelandBarbDined on 8/13/2014This is our favorite "go to" place when we want to celebrate. The food and the ambience are always top-notch and the staff always make us feel like welcome guests. Special requests are remembered and honored. On this most recent visit we brought our daughter, who hadn't been there in quite a few months, to celebrate her birthday and John, the bartender, remembered her special drink request from her previous visit. Quite amazing, given how many people he's served over those many months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TokuRestaurantReviewerDined on 8/12/2014On a positive note...the ambiance is lovely and my friend and I were happy to be together. However, the service left a lot to be desired. It was a very long wait for our food to arrive, both orders came out wrong and had to be redone, food was o.k, I can't eat cheese and they put cheese in my omlette....water glasses never refilled, never asked if needed more coffee, etc. Toku is known as a "happening" place in the neighborhood. However, I really don't know what is happening there!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014It's not a place to est Japanese food. One of the worst.
- Reliably GoodAlexVIPDined on 8/2/2014Yes, it's a little sceney, but you can count on dependably good food and friendly service. A few of the pairings are a little odd (short ribs and pad thai--each delicious separately but not sure they're the best match), and maybe it's not the most authentic Asian food (sort of a hodgepodge of different cuisines), but the menu is creative and fun, and somehow nearly everything seems to work. I like to go with a group, since most dishes are great for sharing and you can try a variety of different items. The sake list is impressive, and there is also a good selection of wines by the glass.Special Features:
- mr.StewartDined on 7/24/2014terrific just right and special for anything really.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/23/2014The food at Toku is always delicious and the service is outstanding and everyone is so friendly! It's a little pricey but well worth it!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 7/21/2014Always great. Have been dining here since they opened in 2007. Food is always consistent. The Prix Fixe lunch is a great deal. I always go for the Asian Caesar Salad and Salmon Aqua Pazza. 3 course lunch for $25. Huge menu with lots of great choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Love this place! My favorite lunch meeting and Saturday shopping lunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/15/2014We've been eating at Toku on a weekly basis for several years now and I con honestly say the consistency and quality of the food is always perfect. We look forward to Wednesdays so we can enjoy the outstanding sushi with amiable service in a comfortably modern environment. We dine out three or four times a week, but only Toku commands our weekly loyalty as we never tire of the cuisine or its wonderful staff!Special Features:
- Loved itJohnDined on 7/12/2014Awesome classy place, the food is to die for... I can't wait to come back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eat!TokuDined on 7/11/2014We had a special family night last Friday. Toku Modern Asian is very beautiful and kid-friendly place. We have a 21-month-old baby and a 5-year-old boy, and they both very enjoyed the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2014The only thing the waiter, was very rude food great and a great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome serviceFrankGVIPDined on 6/30/2014Love the service at Toku - Daniel is the nicest guy and always make you feel special. Food? What can I say, amazing!Special Features:
- Great Choicetd4wDined on 6/29/2014Went to Toku based on online reviews and wasn't disappointed at all. The appetizers and the entrees were amazing in terms of taste, price and the presentation. The food was excellent!!Special Features:
- break from shoppingedgeVIPDined on 6/28/2014It's next to the Prada store for those who will be dining and looking for it within the Americana complex. The decor is just as beautiful as some of the top city spots with very high ceiling. This is a Saturday lunch review, either the daily prix fixe/bento box deal for $25 is a great deal. The food arrived hot and fresh. There's a good variety of things on the menu, both raw and cooked for those who may not like sushi. Would return again if I were shopping here or nearby. Ample parking space and just an easy place to catch up with family or friends without feeling rushed. The service was great and attentive. Saw some kids at nearby tables doing the hot stone meat bbq which seemed fun.Special Features:
- Wonderful as always!MelandBarbDined on 6/26/2014The food and service were top-notch, as always. We're always made to feel like welcome guests. It's so hard to choose between all the dishes, so many of which seem one of a kind, that we end up just eating our way through the menu. We'll definitely be going back soon.Special Features:
- Fabulous!LICCODined on 6/25/2014Best restaurant I have eaten at in years! Incomparable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentKariePlaypalDined on 6/24/2014My husband and I always choose this restaurant when others ask where we should go locally. The food is beautifully presented and always delicious and fresh.Special Features:
- Bad serviceServiceDined on 6/24/2014Have been a loyal Toku customer for years. My last few experience have not been pleasant. The further back u go in the restaurant the crappier the service becomes. I always have corporate dinners there and it's amazing how the service is so in attentive.Special Features:
- Consistently excellentWoody1VIPDined on 6/21/2014Toku is a wonderful dining experience. Of course we have our favorite dishes...the freshest delectable sashimi, river stone BBQ, whole red snapper, salad with warm calamari... I could rewrite the menu here. We are four friends and have tasted most of the menu items and never been disappointed. We love the staff who are all attentive and cooperative. We always feel special dining at toku.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous Restaurant, Good+ FoodFoodieReviewerDined on 6/20/2014Hip decor, oversized, round, bright light shining in the middle of the rm. High $$ goes 2 pay a very attentive staff. Pleasant maitre D', many attentive busboys; our server was always w/in reach, & great overall. The menu offered interesting sushi, H/C apps & main dishes. Our bbq pork was a bit fatty...strips of sauced pork , on fab sweet pineapple, cilantro/red pepper salad on top. Duck was listed as "crispy"--was not crispy AT ALL. Not what I expected, but the meat was soft & delicious. Good veggies, sauce & presentation. Gyoza not exceptional, lettuce cups boring. Udon w/peanut sauce was mushy & not pungent enough, but had bits of lemon and candied ginger which popped well. Banana Wontons not avail. 4 dessert. Mango 'tofu' interesting .Special Features:
- Toku a favorite place to dine in LIAdelaVIPDined on 6/16/2014Toku has become our favorite place to dine. The food is very flavorful and delicious. It is a wonderful dining experience! The fish and the salads are fantastic and come well prepared. The ambience is special. The waite staff is right on top of everything, and they are very helpful when ordering. The sushi is prepared beautifully and always is delicious. You will not be sorry if you dine here.Special Features:
- Almost perfectFrankGVIPDined on 6/15/2014First, let me say the food, as always, was outstanding. However, service was off and it was noticeable. But...it was Father's Day, lots of big groups, so I'll give it a pass -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zen diningJasboDined on 6/11/2014My friend and I had lunch there and found the food to be bright, light and healthy. Our waiter was friendly and helpful with the menu. The lobster taco was delightful. We also enjoyed our Thai shrimp skewers and Banana Wonton dessert. My friend had hot green tea served in a metal Asian teapot, while I enjoyed the peppermint iced tea which actually had plenty of flavor.Special Features:
- Amazing as always!MelissaVIPDined on 5/31/2014Never disappointed at Toku. The service is great and super fast. Drinks and food are delicious. Highly recommend! Definitely need a reservation!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeArgoldsteDined on 5/22/2014Food always good- service is perfect and it's usually packedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 347 reviews are from the Toku Modern Asian reviews archive.
- good food poor servicesgrant2493Dined on 5/14/2014I've eaten here many times. Food is always good. The service is poor. Had to wait many minutes before my drink came. Then while I was eating, ordered another drink which arrived AFTER I was done eating, and only after I reminded the waitress which is no good. Waitress seemed all at sea...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceFrankGVIPDined on 5/13/2014Can't say enough about the food, it was delicious. Staff is very friendly, our server was wonderful and one of the hosts, Dan, is just the nicest guy ever.Special Features:
- Always greatSignNDineVIPDined on 5/12/2014Another great dining experience at Toku. This is a special spot and we save it for special occassions !Special Features:
- delicious and delightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Loved having lunch here and then going shopping. The meals are beautifully presented and the cocktails are decorative and well done. As a foodie with lots of dietary concerns I think anyone can eat light and healthy here. The salads are wonderful....loved the seared tuna. If you want heavier go for the meat dishes. Do have a cocktail and then enjoy the shopping. Would love a window seat or front seat next time...to people watch. But there are only a few of those.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- duckDined on 5/4/2014Everything we ordered was delicious! The Kobe BBQ beef was really tender and tasty. The sliders were bigger than the usually sliders. Then I wanted to try their ramen since I love ramen and I wanted to see how it is compare to an authentic Japanese ramen place in Manhattan. It was awesome! The broth tasted like Ippudo's! The only thing that we didn't like was the skirt steak that my son ordered. It had too much wine in it. He couldn't eat it and had to order something else. As for desserts, we had the brownie, the apple tart and ice cream. All were delicious! The restaurant was nice. A little bit crowded though. Everyone that walked by kicked our chairs, including the staff. I'll make sure to get a corner table next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mad about this place!FoodieDivaVIPDined on 4/22/2014This is probably my sixth visit to Toku but my second with a large group....and the experience was just wonderful. Our waitress, Carolina, was attentive, personable, and cognizant of our foodie issues (two different types of allergies at our table). We had a wonderful meal and a great time....can't ask for more. If you're a Peking Duck fan like me, be sure to try it as it has now become a permanent staple on their already vast menu. I could also live on all the appetizer skewer options as well....my favorites being foie gras/pineapple, duck/lychee...yum! I LOVE Toku Modern Asian.Special Features: